Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hero Moments?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 6 2013, 2:21am

Post #1 of 8 (819 views)
Shortcut
Hero Moments? Can't Post

RA said in an interview that each Drarve
..will have his "hero moment"
And you will love them all
by the end.."

Let the speculation begin...

Bomby takes Ori...
his slingshot becomes like Leggy.
.. Taking down spiders?
Then Orcs..in the Bot5A..
Rapid fire..?

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 6 2013, 2:35am

Post #2 of 8 (395 views)
Shortcut
I think Oin's ear trumpet will be involved. [In reply to] Can't Post

We've seen it too much. Got to be a weapon in that somehow....

Oin's parasite
Rivendell

Feb 6 2013, 3:25am

Post #3 of 8 (417 views)
Shortcut
These dwarves... (Predictions) [In reply to] Can't Post

I love them all already, I just can't wait for each of them to get their little moment.

Nori- May get his within Erebor, "Lot's of gold, not afraid of no dragon..."

Gloin- Will more or less go ham during Battle of Give armies (perhaps with Thranduil? (That would be a cool little bit.)

Bifur- May perhaps say some deeply emotional and/or wise statement.

Dori/Bombur- Perhaps simple heroics?

Ori- Maybe puts journal/book-smarts to use at Erebor's secret door?

"I've got parasites as big as my arm!"

(This post was edited by Oin's parasite on Feb 6 2013, 3:26am)

swordwhale
Grey Havens

Feb 6 2013, 4:43am

Post #4 of 8 (372 views)
Shortcut
heroes... [In reply to] Can't Post

Will we finally get to hear Bombur say something? And will it be profound? After all the silence (and comic relief) I think he should say something profound.

And Bifur too.

Oh, I do love the Brothers Ur... Bofur clearly has more than a funny side... all three of these guys are not Line of Durin Tained Ninja Warrior Jedi Dwarves, jso it would be great to see them do something that shows deeper character... the sort of thing Tolkien talks about somewhere in his letters or bio of something... what he saw in the trenches of WWI, in which the "little guys" the ordinary guys, did heroic and self-sacrificing things.

Go outside and play...

Retro315
Rivendell

Feb 6 2013, 4:57am

Post #5 of 8 (359 views)
Shortcut
RE: [In reply to] Can't Post

Whew, there are lots of opportunities. First let's look at who already has some.

Thorin - consistently and will continue to.
Kili - charging in to rescue Bilbo from the trolls.
Dwalin - he's hard to miss in any battle scene. Plus he plays a fiddle.
Bofur - actually proved very handy in the mountains, though there could certainly be more.

Some obviously hail from the books. Fili and Kili at the Battle of Five Armies is HUGE.

Dwalin & Gloin - I suspect breakout stars in both anti-Elf sentiment and Five Armies bad-assery.
Balin - this one is obvious - he's the only one brave enough to go halfway with Bilbo into the Dragon's Lair.
Fili - does Bilbo rescue him or one of the sons of Groin? Hard to recall. Could be first to help with spiders.
Bofur - when his brother falls into the dark river. But as the 'mountaineer' of the group, the miner, I bet he's integral to winching up the camp from the base of the Lonely Mountain and escaping Smaug just in time.
Bifur - I definitely think Five Armies. Probably rescuing another dwarf or Bilbo from a marauding Orc.
Dori & Nori - I'm going to say Lake-town, actually. Jackson pegged them as merchant-class so they might barter for boats and supplies.
Oin - I suspect he'll be the one who talks to the Raven, and intelligence-gathering is a big deal. Also, he's the group's medic - while I suspect they all gather in the tent with Thorin as he dies, Oin will be the one who bandaged his wounds and tends to him.
Bombur & Ori - these I don't know. I'm expecting Jackson to surprise me with them. There's not a lot of battle in film two, and Bombur is a comical burden on them but we should get to know him a lot better. Ori is a mystery. The quiet one, you just know he'll have abig telegraphed moment.

So what I'm quite curious about is whether or not any of the "heroic moments" didn't make the theatrical cut and are in fact in the first film's Extended Edition. I could imagine more could be done in Goblin Town, or even during the Five Fir Trees sequence. And there's obviously a lot of Rivendell which didn't make the cut.

(This post was edited by Retro315 on Feb 6 2013, 4:58am)

Angharad73
Rohan

Feb 6 2013, 6:54am

Post #6 of 8 (321 views)
Shortcut
Bifur... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like Bifur Smile He's due some heroic stuff, being the very odd one out and all.

Didn't William Kircher say something like Bifur is looking for the Orc that put that ax into his head? If so, I smell revenge...

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 6 2013, 5:03pm

Post #7 of 8 (183 views)
Shortcut
Nice analysis [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Ori is the writer/chronicler. Maybe he's the one that inspires Bilbo to write down all his adventures in the Red Book. That would be nice to see something like Ori giving Bilbo a small gift of pens or a nice leather-bound journal he made himself specially for the hobbit.

Lio
Lorien

Feb 7 2013, 3:36am

Post #8 of 8 (228 views)
Shortcut
Orc axe [In reply to] Can't Post

I know it's mentioned in the AUJ Visual Companion that Bifur is indeed looking for the Orc that put the axe in his head! I wonder if that will actually make it into the movie, or if it's just a detail to round out his personality? I mean, between Azog and Bolg there are sure to be enough Orc revenge arcs already. Laugh

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.