The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Yggdrasil - Middle Earth and Elf Home

Eruonen
Half-elven

Feb 5 2013, 10:40pm

Post #1 of 3 (2697 views)
Shortcut
Yggdrasil - Middle Earth and Elf Home Can't Post

Certainly, we see many "roots" of JRRT's mythology expressed in Yggdrasil.

http://dailymythogies.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/yggdrasil.jpg

Alfheim - Elf Home

"The Light-elves are fairer to look upon than the sun, but the Dark-elves are blacker than pitch."

Early conception of "Elves and Orcs"?

Gimli
In Norse mythology, Gimlé (alternately Gimli) is a place where the survivors of Ragnarök are foretold to live. It is mentioned in the Prose Edda and Völuspá and described as the most beautiful place on Earth, more beautiful than the Sun.

In Asgard, the realm of the gods, Gimli is the golden roof of a building where righteous men go when they die.[1]

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/.../2/2f/Muspelheim.jpg

Muspelhiem.....Mordor?

Many other connections visible.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Feb 6 2013, 1:17am

Post #2 of 3 (2593 views)
Shortcut
Not surprising [In reply to] Can't Post

...since these eddas and related materials occupied a great part of Tolkien's professional life. In a recent thread I commented on dwarf names.

At last year's Mythcon Fr. Ronald Murphy presented an outstanding paper on Yggdrasil and its persistence as an image in Scandinavian culture, as well as references in Tolkien.

dijomaja
Lorien

Feb 6 2013, 12:04pm

Post #3 of 3 (2631 views)
Shortcut
all acknowledged, I think [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien's borrowings are pretty well-documented and, as far as I know, acknowledged. In addition to the writers cited above, Prof. Tom Shippey has a list of names, places, etc. Some, like the Gimle'/Gimli cited by the OP, are just similar-sounding names used for very different purposes.

Elizabeth: what does the note say? I can only make out about half.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.