Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Who else wouldn't mind an extended 'Misty Mountains Cold' scene...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 4 2013, 6:51pm

Post #1 of 31 (1141 views)
Shortcut
Who else wouldn't mind an extended 'Misty Mountains Cold' scene... Can't Post

just for the sheer beauty and sake of it? Sort of like a fully-fledged music video of the Dwarves just singing the entire song ... nothing more. Nothing less Smile

Furthermore, who's hoping for Bilbo to cross paths with a young Man before witnessing the shards of Narsil in Rivendell for the EE?

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

Lindele
Gondor

Feb 4 2013, 6:51pm

Post #2 of 31 (686 views)
Shortcut
I'd be ok with it [In reply to] Can't Post

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2013, 6:54pm

Post #3 of 31 (665 views)
Shortcut
They should add some beat to make it MTV friendly. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 4 2013, 6:55pm

Post #4 of 31 (671 views)
Shortcut
I would LOVE it! [In reply to] Can't Post

When I purchased the CD, I had thought that the song would be longer. I still love it though!

Angharad73
Rohan

Feb 4 2013, 6:57pm

Post #5 of 31 (672 views)
Shortcut
That would be lovely! [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely - they should sing the whole song! I was rather disappointed that it was so short in the movie...

kiwifan
Rohan

Feb 4 2013, 7:12pm

Post #6 of 31 (660 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps on the Extended Edition? The song, I mean [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't necessarily want Aragorn and Arwen in this trilogy, that would be a bit too much of LotR stuff in TH.

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 4 2013, 7:25pm

Post #7 of 31 (648 views)
Shortcut
An unnamed Aragorn would suffice :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Feb 4 2013, 8:06pm

Post #8 of 31 (609 views)
Shortcut
I would love to see this [In reply to] Can't Post

Since one line extra is in the film than in the trailer, it's certainly possible.

Your second idea could work but in my opinion it wouldn't be the best idea-I don't want a film that constantly keeps winking to another film that we've already seen. If Gimli has a cameo at some point it would be fine, given his link to Gloin and being a Dwarf-but really, if they bring in Aragorn, they might as well just try to figure a way of bringing in Boromir, Sam, Merry and Pippin as well, just for the sake of the complete set!Laugh

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 4 2013, 8:07pm

Post #9 of 31 (608 views)
Shortcut
Yes! My first thought was that it wasn't long enough. [In reply to] Can't Post

I also keep replaying it in my car, over and over, to the point where I can almost sing it like Thorin. Which is bad because I'm female.

Clifton8
The Shire

Feb 4 2013, 8:07pm

Post #10 of 31 (602 views)
Shortcut
More 'Misty Mountains' please [In reply to] Can't Post

When I took my students to go see the movie, we all expected to hear much more of the song than what we saw in all of the trailers and leaked footage. Sadly, we were all disappointed. I think it would be great to have more, if not all, of the song in the extended edition. As far as seeing Aragorn in Rivendell... this would be interesting, but I agree that too much Aragorn and Arwen would make for to much overlap. Maybe just a brief moment of seeing JUST Aragorn would suffice.

andwise
Rivendell

Feb 4 2013, 8:17pm

Post #11 of 31 (598 views)
Shortcut
extra verses. [In reply to] Can't Post

I reckon there's a good chance we'll get an extra verse or two in the EE..as for bumping in to aragorn in rivendell,I don't think so,but you never know...?

Arrow....black arrow,I have saved you to the last.you have never failed me and always I have recovered you.I had you from my father and he from old.if ever you came from the forges of the true king under the mountain,go now and speed well

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Feb 4 2013, 8:20pm

Post #12 of 31 (620 views)
Shortcut
a young Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

played by another actor, just as a cameo, unnamed, and very short... would make me rejoice!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 4 2013, 9:03pm

Post #13 of 31 (583 views)
Shortcut
Jackson could introduce young adult Aragorn in part 2 or 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Assuming that in the films, Aragorn is in his mid-20s and not still a child. Otherwise, Bilbo could meet 'Estel' on his return trip.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 4 2013, 9:06pm

Post #14 of 31 (569 views)
Shortcut
I was hoping for an extended version on the OST album... [In reply to] Can't Post

Such was not to be, alas.

Anyone want to bet whether the dwarves will sing the follow-up song to sooth Thorin during the siege?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Feb 5 2013, 12:50am

Post #15 of 31 (508 views)
Shortcut
I'd love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's my favorite scene in the movie, and it's always over way too fast. It's mesmerizing, haunting, the stuff of goosebumps and epic dreams. Yes, more please! Just make sure there's a lot more of Thorin...

What I especially like about this scene is its extreme contrast with subsequent battle scenes: the dwarves collectively are a group of highly effective fighters, but they have this amazingly softer side, singing achingly haunting songs of longing for their home. Even in song, as in battle, though, they follow their leader, which is a nice touch too.

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 5 2013, 12:54am

Post #16 of 31 (495 views)
Shortcut
Well said! [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes, more Thorin!

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Feb 5 2013, 1:15am

Post #17 of 31 (483 views)
Shortcut
I'd love it// [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.nanowrimo.org/widget/LiveParticipant/727338.png

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Feb 5 2013, 1:29am

Post #18 of 31 (482 views)
Shortcut
More, Please [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope the EE has the entire Misty Mountain song. I love it and want more.
About Aragorn and Arwen. The time frame in the book has Aragorn at about age 10. The movie time frame would have him at about 20. That is the time he returned from great deeds with the sons of Elrond and was told who he was. He then met Arwen in a glade and they fall in love. I understand that a scene like this was filmed for FOTR but was not used. It might fit in TABA.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 5 2013, 1:49am

Post #19 of 31 (481 views)
Shortcut
Wouldn't mind at all! [In reply to] Can't Post

My daughter and I were singing "Misty Mountains Cold" earlier today together Blush I would absolutely LOVE to hear the whole song sung by the Dwarves. I wonder if there is a recording of such a wonderful thing?

I wonder too if they'll sing "The Wind Was On the Withered Heath". That is my absolute favorite poem/song ever of Tolkien's.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a certain young Man (or as a Child even), even though the timeline is changed (Aragorn would be 10 in book-time). The boy who played Eldarion would have been perfect as 10-year old Aragorn, except he would be around 16 now.

BTW, I just discovered the boy who played Eldarion is Sadwyn Brophy--son of Jed Brophy! I can't find any recent pictures of him though.

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 5 2013, 1:01pm

Post #20 of 31 (441 views)
Shortcut
Ooh! [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be beautiful! The song has always been too short for me.

I was keeping an eye out for Estel in the background every time. It was one of my hopes for the movie.

Þæs ofereode, þisses swa mæg - that has passed, so may this.

Súlimë
Rivendell

Feb 5 2013, 1:21pm

Post #21 of 31 (422 views)
Shortcut
I was hoping for at least another verse [In reply to] Can't Post

In the EE please Heart

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 5 2013, 1:58pm

Post #22 of 31 (412 views)
Shortcut
Piling on [In reply to] Can't Post

two EXCELLENT ideas! My son seconds as well, when we got home he reviewed the song and said hope the whole version is in EE.

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Feb 5 2013, 3:45pm

Post #23 of 31 (409 views)
Shortcut
LOL!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

You are so funny!! And I totally agree that this song should be a lot longer....with a lot more Thorin!! I understand what you are saying about singing the song in your car though. After I've seen the movie (again for the umpteenth time), I always seem to have the song in my head, and sing it in as low a register as I can, since I can 'hear' it in my memory. It just doesn't have the same gravitas in a higher scale.

Oh, and in one of RA's interviews, he started singing the song! And yeah, it was fabulous!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

celebperedhel

Feb 5 2013, 4:02pm

Post #24 of 31 (393 views)
Shortcut
More "Misty Mountians" please [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a but let down that the the extended edition of the soundtrack did not have more of it.But I am happy that PJ included them singing part of the song from the book.Maybe he's saving it for the extended edition of the movie?

glor
Rohan

Feb 5 2013, 5:48pm

Post #25 of 31 (388 views)
Shortcut
perhaps they are saving the other verses.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It might just be me but....

...the verses that concern the dwarves gold and gems are omitted in that scene. I just want Thorin to have his 'meltdown' in the reclaimed Halls of Erebor, like Pacino at the end of Scarface except instead of indulging in the white powder as he is besieged, Thorin sits down upon the throne and starts singing Misty Mountains dark and low as if consumed by madness;

On silver necklaces they strung
The flowering stars, on crowns they hung
The dragon-fire, in twisted wire
They meshed the light of moon and sun.

Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day,
To claim our long-forgotten gold.

Goblets they carved there for themselves
And harps of gold; where no man delves
There lay they long, and many a song
Was sung unheard by men or elves

It is a song about gold too....

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.