Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Box Office Update
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mefansmum
Rivendell

Feb 3 2013, 11:26pm

Post #26 of 49 (604 views)
Shortcut
You have to wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

where it might have got to with more good reviews from the mass media reviewers and a bit more positive press in general when you read the effect of those things on people like this

http://www.popmatters.com/...ed-movie-of-awards-/

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2013, 12:49am

Post #27 of 49 (549 views)
Shortcut
i wasn't trying to put the film down [In reply to] Can't Post

i saw it 4 times in the theater, i just think the LOTR's storyline has more of a attraction than The Hobbit has is all. I realize LOTR's wasn't about a love triangle, all i was trying to say is that it had a romance factor in it that appeals to the female demo.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty, oh will you please take me home!!

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Feb 4 2013, 4:22am

Post #28 of 49 (568 views)
Shortcut
We can fully expect... [In reply to] Can't Post

the DOS to even do better than AUJ. The DVD will be coming out in May leading to more viewers of AUJ, leading to a growth in fan base which equals more people wanting to see DOS regardless of what the movie (idi_ts) critics will have to say.

I've seen the movie probably around 12 times. Maybe I'll go again...will see.

Can't wait for DOS to be here......need to learn some patience..Cool

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2013, 4:41am

Post #29 of 49 (527 views)
Shortcut
We'll see [In reply to] Can't Post

There will be people that didn't particularly like it not coming back. The question is, will we gain more than we'll lose.

Usually it's the new properties (or reboots) that start smaller that gain viewers (provided reception was good). Hobbit is part of a big franchise already. But considering its performance, it definitely has room to grow.

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Feb 4 2013, 4:44am

Post #30 of 49 (528 views)
Shortcut
There's always hope... [In reply to] Can't Post

Estel..... Wink

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2013, 4:46am

Post #31 of 49 (499 views)
Shortcut
I see what you did there. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

peace1993
Bree

Feb 4 2013, 7:04am

Post #32 of 49 (497 views)
Shortcut
Getting to a billion is going to be tougher than you think [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ should get 8-9 million more from existing markets. That should get the WW gross to around 960 million.
However, China is a completely different case. A Chinese film called Journey To the West (based on a Chinese Epic) is releasing two weeks prior to AUJ. This could have a huge effect on the BO collections of The Hobbit. These are the positives we can hold onto going into the release on Feb 22nd:
-Its a 3D film
-Its a fantasy film
-Its got plenty of action scenes
At this point, no one is in a position to predict the outcome.

Sam: Trust a Brandybuck and a Took.
Merry: What? That was just a detour, a shortcut.
Sam: Shortcut to what?
Pippin: Mushrooms!

redgiraffe
Rohan

Feb 4 2013, 7:23am

Post #33 of 49 (479 views)
Shortcut
I'd rather see ticket sales [In reply to] Can't Post

Why isn't there a better look at ticket sales adjusted for population growth?

First of all, I think that's a much easier way to tell which movie had more viewers.

Secondly, the only thing I can think of that you would have to adjust numbers for is population size. You wouldn't have to adjust for inflation, or 3D, or general price increases in movie tickets.

Is there any place that keeps this data out there?

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

redgiraffe
Rohan

Feb 4 2013, 7:32am

Post #34 of 49 (511 views)
Shortcut
Lol [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Estel..... Wink

Well played

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 4 2013, 10:11am

Post #35 of 49 (447 views)
Shortcut
Well, sometimes you make it sound like it was John Carter. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 4 2013, 2:00pm

Post #36 of 49 (447 views)
Shortcut
Its not [In reply to] Can't Post

It really isn't. I think any of us who are fans of the story thought, expected, and wanted it to do more but its done just fine. Some I think have taken cheer in that it hasn't done everything we had all hoped. Sad really.

Edit: I saw it for a 5th and final time this weekend. The theater I was at for a 2:10 showing CST was I'd say about 80-85% full in the Kansas City, Mo area. So its still doing pretty decent 2 months in.

(This post was edited by Elessar on Feb 4 2013, 2:02pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 4 2013, 2:07pm

Post #37 of 49 (405 views)
Shortcut
Now be nice [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked John Carter. Evil

Arannir
Valinor

Feb 4 2013, 2:49pm

Post #38 of 49 (389 views)
Shortcut
Agree that it is not a dissapointment [In reply to] Can't Post

The grosses of the big blockbusters can be quite surprising and hard to predict. I doubt anyone thought The Avengers would be able to generate this amount of money. It gets even more unpredictable when you look to different cultural areas of the world - how surprising the Hobbit BO-fail in Japan is, how surprising some of the big hits in China are etc.

I said it before, and I will say it again. The Hobbit remains an immense money-maker for WB. That is what they wanted and I am sure what is coming out now is within the range of what they thought.

What those who always point to the advantages of the Hobbit neglect to mention, are the potential "disadvantages": the reviews, people fed up with Tolkien movies, immense explosion of "this kind" of fantasy movies since the LotR trilogy, no uniqueness anymore, perception as a money-grap, decline of moviegoers. Also, the increase of ticket prices also has both advantages and disadvantages - while you generate more money per ticket, some might not return to see it more than once or semi-interested people may wait for illegal streams or DVDs.

I guess you would need to do a lot of studies in both cultural interests / behaviour, economics and all sorts of related fields, to be able to fully explain why - for example - Avengers had the boost it had and The Hobbit did not.

I think this movie always had the potential to be a absolute hit, even No 1. But if you ask me it also had the potential to be a relative flop (compared to LotR), especially because "well" and "okay" was never accepted as "positive" for this.

That it turned out to be neither of the two is totally fine for me, and especially for those actually making some money out of this as well.

In Reply To
It really isn't. I think any of us who are fans of the story thought, expected, and wanted it to do more but its done just fine. Some I think have taken cheer in that it hasn't done everything we had all hoped. Sad really.

Edit: I saw it for a 5th and final time this weekend. The theater I was at for a 2:10 showing CST was I'd say about 80-85% full in the Kansas City, Mo area. So its still doing pretty decent 2 months in.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 4 2013, 6:43pm

Post #39 of 49 (318 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone have an idea of the grossings in South Africa? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit really didn't do well at my local cinemas - I live in the capital city. We went to one of the biggest malls in the province, and there were only ten people in the theatre. The Second time, at another theatre, there were about twenty people. The third time I went we were only two people! I couldn't watch it again because the cinemas had already withdrawn the film, but Skyfall and Twilight were still showing. Frown

s ofereode, isses swa mg - that has passed, so may this.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2013, 6:46pm

Post #40 of 49 (334 views)
Shortcut
According to Box Office Mojo $2.2m. // [In reply to] Can't Post

totoro
Lorien

Feb 5 2013, 6:16am

Post #41 of 49 (258 views)
Shortcut
I think Harry Potter is an interesting comparison [In reply to] Can't Post

Last HP beat RotK. One of the middle HPs did worse than FotR. The rest kind of straddled TTT.

It is not surprising AUJ, as one of the middle films, would fall lower than the highest-grossing HPs.

I think ticket pricing kind of balances out in the end. Cheaper tickets mean more movie nights.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 5 2013, 6:50am

Post #42 of 49 (239 views)
Shortcut
As of This Weekend it surpassed Deathly Hallows 1 domestically. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Last HP beat RotK. One of the middle HPs did worse than FotR. The rest kind of straddled TTT.

It is not surprising AUJ, as one of the middle films, would fall lower than the highest-grossing HPs.

I think ticket pricing kind of balances out in the end. Cheaper tickets mean more movie nights.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 5 2013, 10:26am

Post #43 of 49 (236 views)
Shortcut
Question [In reply to] Can't Post

Everyone keeps saying that it opens on Feb 22 in China, but on the updated IMDB list it says Feb 15. Anyone knows when it actually opens there?

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 5 2013, 10:39am

Post #44 of 49 (227 views)
Shortcut
Feb 22. [In reply to] Can't Post

IMDB is not up-to-date.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 5 2013, 10:41am

Post #45 of 49 (219 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Not entirely at least. The last Potter would have never done $1.3b without 3D but around ROTK numbers.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 5 2013, 12:32pm

Post #46 of 49 (205 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate it!

s ofereode, isses swa mg - that has passed, so may this.

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 5 2013, 6:53pm

Post #47 of 49 (168 views)
Shortcut
So did I [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was marketed poorly, but in general, I thought it was fun to watch.

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 5 2013, 7:00pm

Post #48 of 49 (172 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Disney didn't market it well at all. The movie was fun and entertaining I thought. It would have done better if Disney had done better. Sadly this is it for that universe.

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 7 2013, 3:36pm

Post #49 of 49 (274 views)
Shortcut
Yup me too [In reply to] Can't Post

My biggest problem is carving 3 hours out of my day to see the film again.

My school days are long (loooong!) behind me, but I feel like a kid trying to cut class, lol. It's so hard to find that block of time to see it again. Not that I wish it was shorter though! Each time I saw it I didn't want it to end :-).

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.