Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Travel style and preferences
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Travel style and preferences
I like to visit as many cities/destinations as possible in the time I have
I prefer to visit just a few cities/destinations so I can get a feel for them
I like to go to one "destination" destination - Disney World for example
I like to have everything planned well in advance
I like to have a few details nailed down, but like to have some flexibility
I read up on my options beforehand, but then go where the wind takes me
Have toothbrush, will travel; don't need any plans
I like adventure travel - lots of white water rafting, bungee jumping...
I like outdoor activities, but prefer hiking and enjoying nature
I like cities - museums, architecture, cafes, festivals are my cup of tea
Give me a resort/spa where I can relax and be pampered
I like taking tours wherever possible
I take tours occasionally, but prefer finding my own way
I've never taken a tour
I like sharing my travel experiences with a friend or loved one
I like my independence - I wan to do what I want to do when I want to do it
I like to travel on the cheap - more money doesn't necessarily mean better travel
I spend here save there (small B&B but splurge occasionally on restaurants)
I prefer to spend a bit for assured comfort and quality
Luxury all the way for me; you only live once
I like to mix it all up. No holiday/vacation is ever like another
I have a hobbit nature and prefer the comfort of home
other
View Results (272 votes)

zarabia
Grey Havens

Feb 4 2013, 6:00am

Post #1 of 27 (636 views)
Shortcut
Travel style and preferences Can't Post

I noticed that there hadn't been a new poll in a while, so I thought I'd come up with something. And being the travel lover I am (make that frustrated travel lover as it's been more than a while since I've been anywhere Unsure) I thought I'd ask about your travel style and preferences.

You can give more than one answer. Since it has several variables, more than one answer is expected. Smile

Thanks, everyone!

(This post was edited by zarabia on Feb 4 2013, 6:04am)

zarabia
Grey Havens

Feb 4 2013, 6:45am

Post #2 of 27 (254 views)
Shortcut
BTW, I know this doesn't cover all options [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was thinking up questions, I was mostly thinking of a trip one might take on a long-ish holiday/vacation rather than a week-end getaway. Anyway, it's a jumping off point. Feel free to add any other ideas. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 4 2013, 6:48am

Post #3 of 27 (261 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't really answer the poll [In reply to] Can't Post

But I can't begin to tell you how much I love trains, and travelling on them. I hardly ever get to do it though. Unsure

And no-one could accuse you of providing limited choices in the answer categories!

zarabia
Grey Havens

Feb 4 2013, 7:12am

Post #4 of 27 (269 views)
Shortcut
Our travel preferences [In reply to] Can't Post

seem to be very similar, if I'm reading the results correctly. We could travel well together... but we both prefer going it alone. Laugh

BTW, I like trains, too: actual trains for getting from here to there, and old steam engines that just take tourists and train enthusiasts for a little ride.

And, yes, I got a little carried away with the options. Tongue

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 4 2013, 7:34am

Post #5 of 27 (263 views)
Shortcut
Ok, let's go on a mysterious and lengthy train journey together [In reply to] Can't Post

We can travel in separate carriages. Laugh

Elizabeth
Valinor

Feb 4 2013, 8:22am

Post #6 of 27 (259 views)
Shortcut
Have you been on the NZ Scenic Journeys? [In reply to] Can't Post

On our recent trip we took the train from Picton to Christchurch, and then from Christchurch to Greymouth. The latter was a disappointment, because it was raining the whole way, with low clouds obscuring the mountains (when we got to them). But the trains were lovely, and the coast route was spectacular.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Feb 4 2013, 8:31am

Post #7 of 27 (337 views)
Shortcut
Our favorite travel discovery was high-end B&Bs. [In reply to] Can't Post

Most places we go, I try to find good B&B's (private homes that take guests, with comfortable rooms and usually a fantastic breakfast every morning). I go with recommendations of TripAdvisor.com. The cost is roughly equivalent to a **** hotel, but whereas that class of hotel will charge extra for breakfast, internet, everything in sight, it's all included in a good B&B, plus extras: many give you tea when you arrive (with biscuits), wine or sherry in the evening, other goodies. In addition, the surroundings are far more comfortable, and at breakfast the hosts and other guests exchange helpful hints about things to do, and are often very interesting people.

On our recent trip to NZ, several of the places we stayed were in the country, with sheep (of course), deer, ostriches, alpacas, and other animals, as well as dogs and cats!

We have stayed in wonderful B&Bs in the US, England, Australia, and New Zealand.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 4 2013, 5:52pm

Post #8 of 27 (276 views)
Shortcut
I'm not too picky. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just need a towel, the answer to Life the Universe and Everything and a human called Arthur Dent who looks eerily similar to a certain hobbit. Tongue
But since Vogons won't be building a bypass through earth anytime soon, I'd say I like to have everything planned in advance.

zarabia
Grey Havens

Feb 5 2013, 6:33am

Post #9 of 27 (203 views)
Shortcut
Sounds fun [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, train+mysterious=The Orient Express Laugh

zarabia
Grey Havens

Feb 5 2013, 6:57am

Post #10 of 27 (205 views)
Shortcut
My mom loves B&Bs [In reply to] Can't Post

She and a friend of hers go on a road trip about every month and they almost always stay in the sort of B&B you describe. They are both outgoing people persons (people people?) so they really enjoy socializing with the owners and other guests. I can certainly see the appeal, but I think I'd be a bit uncomfortable. It's not like I'm noisy or messy - in fact I'm neater than usual in a hotel - but I'd feel like I needed to be extra quite and careful with it being someone's home; I couldn't relax. However, I do like small family-run hotels. They are friendlier than chain hotels, but they are impersonal enough that there's no pressure to socialize. I know it sounds odd to prefer an impersonal hotel, but I'm often shy in person (though you often can't shut me up on-line Tongue) and if I stayed in someone's home, I'd feel rude if I didn't make an effort to socialize. Maybe one day I'll develop my mom's ease with people because, in theory, I think B&Bs sound great and would love to stay in one someday.

zarabia
Grey Havens

Feb 5 2013, 7:02am

Post #11 of 27 (236 views)
Shortcut
Haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

You must have your towel, and of course your Hitchhikers' Guide. It's funny how, just a little more than 30 years since the original HhG, we have something similar in the form of smart phones. Smile

Elizabeth
Valinor

Feb 5 2013, 7:52am

Post #12 of 27 (209 views)
Shortcut
There's no pressure to socialize. [In reply to] Can't Post

The hosts usually have separate living quarters for themselves. In my experience, they take their cue from the guests... they'll greet you warmly, perhaps offer some tea, show you around, and ask if you need anything. After that, you're on your own. They're happy to chat, offer advice about local restaurants or attractions, etc., but certainly don't expect you to act as though you were there on a social visit.

Similarly, if there are other guests at breakfast, some will be chatty and most won't.

zarabia
Grey Havens

Feb 5 2013, 8:13am

Post #13 of 27 (199 views)
Shortcut
Answering my own question [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm basically an explorer. I'm not a daring trailblazer or anything, I just like rambling around, seeing things in my own time, in my own way. When I lived in Kailua-Kona, Hawai'i and then in Santa Fe, New Mexico, I would hear or read about something then hop in my car and head that way. Sometimes I got side-tracked and didn't see what I set out to see, but I almost always enjoyed something else that I serendipitously stumbled upon. In both those places there is something beautiful around every bend in the road. I'm afraid I take my home state of Oklahoma for granted and haven't explored it as much, but it has a beauty of its own that, until recent events made it difficult, I had been making a point of observing and appreciating.

When I've had the good fortune to live and/or travel abroad, I've done a bit more planning for trips, but I still like to play things by ear. I usually devour the relevant guide books to learn about the country/city I'll be visiting, learn the basics of getting around, and study tips on how to avoid lines etc. Otherwise, I have few definite plans. I will sometimes take those hop-on-hop-off tours to get oriented, but otherwise, I just like to wander. I eventually make it to the places I definitely want to see, but along the way, I stumble upon wonderful things. Sometimes I "discover" famous places that I had overlooked in the guidebook. Somehow those places seem more special to me, as if they are, in fact, my discovery. Smile

However, when I was living and teaching in Poland, I took the opportunity that the holidays afforded to visit other countries. On those occasions, I didn't have access to English language travel guides for cities outside Poland, so I had to fly blind. The school had a computer, but I didn't have the chance to do much research. I literally looked at the departures board at the Krakow train station to see which destinations looked interesting and do-able in the time I had. I visited Prague and Budapest with nooo idea what to expect. No reservations, no plans...but in both cases, things worked out well. Okay, a few stumbles along the way, but ultimately, things worked out well. Tongue

Anyway, I normally stay in small inexpensive family-run hotels. I like the idea of hostels, but I also like my privacy, so I've never tried one. I'm not a real foodie, so I'm not interested in high-end restaurants. I usually eat breakfast in my hotel, just have a snack for lunch, then eat dinner in whatever small, friendly looking restaurant I find. I try to avoid overly touristy places, but, as I usually travel alone, I look for places where I won't feel too strange asking for a table for one. Crazy In Italy, I always make time for a gelato or three. Laugh

Sorry for rambling on Tongue I really, really miss traveling. There have been quite a few votes, but I'd like to hear more about everyone's travel preferences.Smile

zarabia
Grey Havens

Feb 5 2013, 8:17am

Post #14 of 27 (279 views)
Shortcut
Maybe next time [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see any travel in my future, but maybe the next time I do, I'll try a B&B. Thanks Smile

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 5 2013, 12:38pm

Post #15 of 27 (543 views)
Shortcut
Science fiction books... [In reply to] Can't Post

tend to predict things often. Correctly. It's eerie.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Feb 7 2013, 12:58am

Post #16 of 27 (207 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's why Fahrenheit 451 [In reply to] Can't Post

gives me pause . . . Unsure

sevilodorf
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 4:16am

Post #17 of 27 (165 views)
Shortcut
could the move to e books be considered a first step [In reply to] Can't Post

down the slippery slope to eliminating books.

Face it. Digital media can be altered in mysterious ways..... or simply deleted .... and if there's no power there's no ebook.

Just my luddite tendencies surfacing (which is ironic as I'm voicing them through a computer)

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 8 2013, 4:22am

Post #18 of 27 (164 views)
Shortcut
I love trains too [In reply to] Can't Post

I've crossed the country, gone up & down the west coast, and traveled from Texas to LA on the train. My dream is to take the Trans-Canada train.

I mix it up, travel-wise. I love road trips where there's no plan at all, we just drive down whatever road takes our fancy and find new places to stay (or camp). I also like renting a house with other folks as a base camp for exploring an area. Did that a few years ago with my niece, brothers, sister-in-law, and Draupne and Eledhwen so we could show them the red rock country around Moab. I'm also an avid hiker & skier so I like trips that incorporate those activities. But I also like spending a couple of days in a big city & seeing the sights.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 8 2013, 4:26am

Post #19 of 27 (182 views)
Shortcut
the one that scares me is The Handmaid's Tale // [In reply to] Can't Post

zarabia
Grey Havens

Feb 8 2013, 7:42am

Post #20 of 27 (189 views)
Shortcut
But often... [In reply to] Can't Post

the things that seemed likely to be right around the corner have never materialized - or are at least slow in coming. And some of the things that seemed far-fetched have already come to pass...and in some cases have been surpassed. BTW, I'm still waiting for my personal jet-pack Cool

batik
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 1:01am

Post #21 of 27 (148 views)
Shortcut
Let's see... [In reply to] Can't Post

I very much like travel by train--especially if the destination is a city. I am NOT a city driver so arrival by train is pretty much a must. Train travel can be fun and low stress--when one is not in a big rush (Amtrak seems to be kind of "relaxed" about that detail at times) I have paid a bit more for lodging in order to be in a location from where I can take off on foot and go around and see what I can see. And I do tend to pack in as much sight-seeing as I can.

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 10:01am

Post #22 of 27 (141 views)
Shortcut
Sorry only just saw your post [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a shame the weather did not co-operate for your Trans-Alpine trip (I haven't done that one yet and it is definitely on my list).
I have been up the coast by train and loved it. Even the car journey on that route is lovely.

zarabia
Grey Havens

Feb 13 2013, 7:37am

Post #23 of 27 (136 views)
Shortcut
I love the idea of camping [In reply to] Can't Post

But when it comes down to it, I'm afraid I need my creature comforts. Tongue

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 17 2013, 3:30pm

Post #24 of 27 (114 views)
Shortcut
My favourite and best trip was Wellington. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a total surprise how much I enjoyed staying IN the city; but Wellington is magical. 15 minute walk in any direction and you're either climbing a mountain or standing by the water or enjoying an old section of the city transformed into a stree closed down to become an oasis of shops, restaurants and fountains ;)

I do plan an itinerary simply so I don't forget where I'm supposed to be when... like, this airline at that time, and reminders of what I'd like to see (i.e. Botanic Garden, Miramar, Embassy Theatre, Museums, etc.). But I really want to just leave my time open and uncluttered. Then if I want to fill in the spaces/time, I do :) Walking in the gardens, parks, and woodlands is the best.

BUT, trips are few and far between. I really do prefer to be home. This upcoming trip will be my last one... unless I can, someday, save enough to get to NZ again. I'm homesick for Wellington.

Great poll, zarabia! :D

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2013, 3:33am

Post #25 of 27 (112 views)
Shortcut
Adventure: it's Out There... [In reply to] Can't Post

Real adventures don't have to be expensive, in fact, l often find they are quite cheap.

I've done a fair amount of camping, a tent or a van is useful, campgrounds are cheap. A portable "cupboard" of non-perishable food, a few "campstoves" made from tin cans and candles or sterno, good to go.

A sea kayak packed with a day's worth of supplies (and a cellphone in a waterproof box for when you have to call the Coast Guard) is the ultimate travel tool. You can go as fast or slow or as far as you want (check the wind and tides, and weather). You can float in 6 inches of water, or hit the ocean waves. You can see lots of stuff from the water, wildlife etc., that you can't see from land.

An option here on the East Coast of the US, and in the Chesapeake Bay region (a vast inland sea) is a number of historic reproduction tall ships that do public sails. Some are only a few hours, some are all day, some are a few days to a week. They're really affordable (from like, $20 for a couple hours to $300 for a few days on an 1812 privateer), and they are educational and participatory (they let you help raise sails and sometimes steer the ship). Spending a day in soggy rain in early spring (in "foulies") riding a stout 60' topsail schooner (Sultana, 1769 reproduction) across the choppy waters of the Bay was one of the great moments of life...

Captain Britain: "You OK back there?"
Me (on steering tiller): "Oh yeah! "
"You've been there for nearly an hour."
Me, water dripping off foulies, big stupid grin on face, squinting at random thing on horizon I am steering toward: "Oh, fine, just fine!"

Point is, there's probably some cool stuff in your local neighborhood that you haven't thought of....

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.