Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Please delete this post from the main board

CaroMichelle
Bree

Feb 4 2013, 4:13am

Post #1 of 9 (395 views)
Shortcut
Please delete this post from the main board Can't Post

Hi, this message is outdated, so if someone could delete it that would be great, thanks! Smile
http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 4 2013, 3:27pm

Post #2 of 9 (183 views)
Shortcut
There's already a few replies [In reply to] Can't Post

...and the responders would probably be wondering where the thread went, if it were deleted!

My suggestion: reply to the main post in the thread, stating that the study is closed, or you need no more beta testers, or something like that. That will be the best way to "close" the thread (short of an Admin locking it, but I think a message from you would still be best!). Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 4 2013, 3:35pm

Post #3 of 9 (181 views)
Shortcut
another option? [In reply to] Can't Post

have CaroMichelle compose a little 'study closed' message that a mod can add to the first post in the thread.

I swear, a good portion of people read NO replies to a thread before making their own reply. I think I read one last week where a question was asked, answered in one (or both) of the first two posts and the third post answered as if it were still an open question.

The thing is, some people might not read a reply by CaroMichelle before trying to follow directions in the original post or they might read it after trying to follow directions in the original post.

When I had a little forum to discuss lyrics from the LOTR with multiple people and we successfully solved a particular passage, I would reply to a thread saying, "RESOLVED" but then I would edit the original post saying the same thing... while leaving all the original text in that post intact so the entire thread made sense down the road.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Feb 4 2013, 3:37pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 4 2013, 4:52pm

Post #4 of 9 (172 views)
Shortcut
Yes, editing can always be done [In reply to] Can't Post

and the first post altered!

What do you think, CaroMichelle?

CaroMichelle
Bree

Feb 4 2013, 9:09pm

Post #5 of 9 (178 views)
Shortcut
Deleting the message [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi both,
Thanks for those thoughts and suggestions. I have already responded to all those who left replies offering to do the betatest, and sent them the link, so I don't think closing this thread will be a problem. However we've now moved from the beta testing phase to the survey going live, and what I would like to be able to do is delete this old (redundant) message asking for beta testers, which we no longer need, and post the new 'survey launched' message on the main page. (Another moderator deleted my second invitation message, which I had posted in the Movies - Hobbit forum). The betatesting request should really be deleted; otherwise there will be conflicting information. Is that ok? Smile

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 4 2013, 9:51pm

Post #6 of 9 (156 views)
Shortcut
I locked the betatesting request message [In reply to] Can't Post

When you're ready, post your new message, and I'll delete the beta test one. That way, you can describe how the earlier message was removed, and announce the next phase of your project.

Good luck!

CaroMichelle
Bree

Feb 4 2013, 9:53pm

Post #7 of 9 (156 views)
Shortcut
thanks entmaiden! I'll do that :) [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 4 2013, 9:55pm

Post #8 of 9 (201 views)
Shortcut
*pokes around pile of removed messages* [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, I see what happened, your item about the finished version of the test got removed because it looked like two posts on the same subject on the first page at once!

Okay, since the responders are all set, I'll go ahead and delete that thread, and you can post the new thread about the live survey. Smile

CaroMichelle
Bree

Feb 4 2013, 10:01pm

Post #9 of 9 (405 views)
Shortcut
done :) [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks Dernwyn, I have posted the new invitation message now :)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.