Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So, you find yourself dangling from a pine tree...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 4 2013, 1:40am

Post #1 of 30 (1202 views)
Shortcut
So, you find yourself dangling from a pine tree... Can't Post

You angrily stride off of it through flames (leaving the rest of your Company dangling precariously), you growl and attack an Orc astride a Warg which swipes you flat. You get shaken and tossed (but no one tosses a Dwarf!) unceremoniously onto a rock, and then you nearly get beheaded by a runty Orc. The flames are shooting high in the trees, other Orcs and Wargs are circling; it's night. You're nearly unconscious, but manage to see a Halfling save you from the runty Orc just before everything goes black. Seconds later (so it seems), you open your eyes to a wizard standing over you, it's dawn, and you're on top of a giant pinnacle of rock that looks (though you may not realize it) like a giant bear's head. No Orcs in sight, let alone flaming pine trees. Surely you didn't get up top there on your own power.

So...wouldn't your first burning thought be..."How the f*** did I get up here, and is everyone else safe and with me?" Granted, you do ask about the Halfling's safety, but wouldn't it cross your mind to ask what's happened in the last, oh, say, 8 hours?

Just curious. What would *your* first thoughts be?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 4 2013, 1:45am

Post #2 of 30 (588 views)
Shortcut
"Saint Peter looks an awful lot like Gandalf the Grey." / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Saurons master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 4 2013, 1:54am

Post #3 of 30 (602 views)
Shortcut
"Where's my sword?!" [In reply to] Can't Post

The last thing we saw him doing while he was conscious was blindly grasping for Orcrist. So I would imagine he might think it got left behind, which would have sucked, because it's a really nice sword. Dwarves like their weapons, after all.

GloryBox
Bree

Feb 4 2013, 2:19am

Post #4 of 30 (584 views)
Shortcut
Where's my Oakenshield? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had that even longer than the sword!

...one morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green... The Hobbit

sevilodorf
Gondor

Feb 4 2013, 2:22am

Post #5 of 30 (545 views)
Shortcut
D**n it wasn't all just a bad dream// [In reply to] Can't Post

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Yva
Rivendell

Feb 4 2013, 2:58am

Post #6 of 30 (561 views)
Shortcut
Hair still looks good? [In reply to] Can't Post

Alternatively: If this is a dream, then it is a good dream

And seriously: I think I wouldn't have any thoughts whatsoever for a little while. Then, I would indeed probably ask a very boring question along the lines of "what the *** happened." I guess I would slip back to Khuzdul. Plus I would definitely want to know what happened with Azog.

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 4 2013, 3:20am

Post #7 of 30 (549 views)
Shortcut
I think I remember [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin opening his eyes a bit while being carried by the eagle. At least that's how it looked like to me.

Angharad73
Rohan

Feb 4 2013, 5:24am

Post #8 of 30 (486 views)
Shortcut
Limbs still attached? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think first would be a small test sequence to see if I still have all arms and legs, can feel my fingers and toes etc. Next would be, "Where, in Durin's name, am I, and where's that bloody, stinkin' Azog?"

Slim
Rivendell

Feb 4 2013, 5:54am

Post #9 of 30 (488 views)
Shortcut
:D [In reply to] Can't Post

Good one! Laugh

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 4 2013, 5:55am

Post #10 of 30 (471 views)
Shortcut
I hope no-one saw my undies // [In reply to] Can't Post

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 4 2013, 7:21am

Post #11 of 30 (525 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's first words [In reply to] Can't Post

"Am I dead?"

Gandalf: "Not just yet."

(Man,I've seen that preview of Jack the Giant Slayer WAY too many times!! One of the downsides to seeing TH 17 times!) Cool

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Feb 4 2013, 7:23am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 4 2013, 10:34am

Post #12 of 30 (429 views)
Shortcut
*checks pockets to see if change fell out* [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, no one saw me shove a few handfulls of the Troll-gold into my breeches. *pats vest* Yep. there's the pipe. Bless my axe! I've lost the cookies I snagged in Rivendell!

First draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 4 2013, 6:00pm

Post #13 of 30 (331 views)
Shortcut
Why does no-one ask any questions?! [In reply to] Can't Post

ALL the dwarves and the hobbit should be like "what in middle-earth just happened? Where did all these eagles come from?!" But they seem to act like it's an everyday occurrence.

It really annoys me that the eagles get zero explanation in this entire franchise -.- Still.. there's Bo5A to come, I guess. Seems a bit late to explain it, though.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 4 2013, 6:24pm

Post #14 of 30 (318 views)
Shortcut
I think it is a matter of time compression in the film [In reply to] Can't Post

If I recall correctly, the scene of the Dwarves' battle with Azog's Orcs, there were rather appropriate-seeming reactions shown of surprise, shock, and fear from Bilbo/some Dwarves, This was not, however, an opportune moment for the asking of questions. This was followed by a flight of unknown length to the Carrock (though the editing suggests, a flight certainly lasting more than the time we saw it on screen). This would give everyone time to figure out that the Eagles are for whatever reason, on "their" side (since they did things like drop Wargs/Orcs over the side of the cliff), and they release the Dwarves on the other side of the mountains (rather than taking them to their eyries to eat or hold captive, for example). To a Dwarf that considered the matter, it seems to me an obvious culprit for their involvement should suggest itself (Gandalf).

At some point, "why didn't you tell us you could do this" and "can you do this for us again?" might be a question to ask, I would agree, but it makes sense to me that the more urgent question to the Dwarves might have been "Is Thorin still alive, and is he likely to stay that way for the near future?"

So much for the within-universe explanation of what I would expect the Dwarves' priority to be in the Carrock scene, Which brings us to the audience. While of course I have both read the book and seen the LotR movies, I thought what the film presented was quite possible to follow. When matters took a turn for the worse, Gandalf located (or caused to appear?) and whispered to a moth. The moth then went away and came back, and the Eagles with it. While the others in the Company seemed surprised by the Eagles' actions, Gandalf took them in stride, leaping confidently onto the back of one, for example. From which I think the movie presented well enough, that Gandalf is a wizard who can communicate with Eagles (apparently using some sort of magical means that involves moths) and induce them to help him. And thus no additional explanation of this was needed (any more than any discussion or explanation was needed of how Gandalf caused the blast in Goblin Town, or why he did not use this same approach again repeatedly at that time, or in other scenes of danger to the Company such as in the Trollshaws and in the approach to Rivendell).

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 4 2013, 6:33pm

Post #15 of 30 (329 views)
Shortcut
Where'd the Oakenshield go!? [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown My preciousss is lost....
It was the saddest part of the movie. The whole history behind the battle of Azanulbizar and how the Oakenshield came to be, and then Thorin drops it.
Someone is going to be angry at the beginning of DoS...
(Unless I missed something and one of the members of the company picked it up?)

s ofereode, isses swa mg - that has passed, so may this.

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 4 2013, 6:40pm

Post #16 of 30 (314 views)
Shortcut
Didn't see anybody picking it up. [In reply to] Can't Post

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Feb 4 2013, 7:19pm

Post #17 of 30 (295 views)
Shortcut
It worked for O Brother Where Art Thou! [In reply to] Can't Post

::George Clooney wakes up after being bludgeoned:: "Mah hair!"

Now I'm wondering about a Coen Bros-directed Hobbit...

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2013, 7:22pm

Post #18 of 30 (292 views)
Shortcut
All that was needed was [In reply to] Can't Post

a shot of gandy talking to one of the eagles seen from bilbos point of view, at a distance, then he would tell the dwarves what they exchanged . matter resolved.

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

oncefaster

Feb 4 2013, 7:30pm

Post #19 of 30 (292 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps off subject but prob. otheres have mused also [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that they needed to take time to show or explain but since the dwarfs came to Bag End with little or no supplies, let alone ponies, I wonder where they got them and when. In the book they left from The Green Dragon as I recall and I suppose they "supplied up" in Hobbiton?

Angharad73
Rohan

Feb 4 2013, 9:36pm

Post #20 of 30 (257 views)
Shortcut
I've been worried about that too... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I've been trying to come up with ways in which Thorin might get the Oakenshield back... I didn't see any of the company pick it up either.

But what if Azog picked it up after they were gone? Unsure He would remember that one, wouldn't he?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 4 2013, 10:02pm

Post #21 of 30 (292 views)
Shortcut
Someone speculated *spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

that Beorn finds it at the site when he investigates Gandalf's story, thus verifying the good intentions of the dwarves. Then Beorn brings it back to Thorin.

cats16
Valinor

Feb 4 2013, 10:07pm

Post #22 of 30 (255 views)
Shortcut
I think that [In reply to] Can't Post

overall, Beorn's screen time is being underestimated by many people. Considering that he'll be back at BoFA, they may consider developing a portion of his story throughout the next two films. I would assert that we will be seeing more of him than we think.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Feb 5 2013, 1:39am

Post #23 of 30 (213 views)
Shortcut
Good Idea [In reply to] Can't Post

I like this a lot. Do any screen writing?

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 5 2013, 1:45am

Post #24 of 30 (203 views)
Shortcut
ROFL! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's *perfect*! I must have seen that trailer every single time I saw TH also.

Lol... that was really great, thanks for the laugh Sly!!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 5 2013, 3:53am

Post #25 of 30 (181 views)
Shortcut
Not my theory! [In reply to] Can't Post

so I can't take credit for it, but thank you. Blush

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.