Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
SAST Quiz #1
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2013, 6:58pm

Post #51 of 76 (700 views)
Shortcut
The more things change the more they stay the same. [In reply to] Can't Post

Exactly the same situation as when Tolkien said King Arthur was "booty seeking"

See post #46 above.ShockedHeartSly

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2013, 7:39pm

Post #52 of 76 (681 views)
Shortcut
You're really going to keep track of all these very clever people, Ro? [In reply to] Can't Post

You must have some fancy spread sheet program - or goblin scribes helping out.
I'm glad I've just finished listening to the Rob Inglis audio recording of TH - twice. No guarantee that I'll get all the answers right, but I've got a shot, if I can untangle the multiple film viewings from the book. Crazy

Thanks for the fun.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 29 2013, 8:00pm

Post #53 of 76 (692 views)
Shortcut
*puts down yarn* I'll take a stab at it! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. What is Bilbo doing when Gandalf walks in to Bag End, the morning after the Unexpected Party? (Be as specific as possible.)
All that washing up after the dwarves with his knitted mushroom dishcloth had made him so hungry that he was sitting down for a second mushroom & cheese breakfast omelet when he was rudely interrupted by a wizard arriving exactly when he meant to!

2. Which dwarf gives Bilbo his spare hood and cloak, when Bilbo finds himself joining the company without any travelling gear?
The dwarf whose mother didn't believe in checking her stitch gauge and fulling/felting the resulting gauge swatch -- obviousy not Ori's mother -- ummm...Dwalin, Dweepin, Dwoopin, and Dwaggin's mom?

3. What does Thorin tell Bilbo to do if he can’t come back, when Thorin sends him off to investigate the mysterious light in the woods?
Give a Hoot -- the screeches produced when messing up a cable would alarm any dwarf whose mother ever learned to knit in a barn!

4. What are the names of the three trolls?
Bert AKA Colbert -- his mother was even more pretentious than the Sackfill-Huggins.

Sweet William AKA Billbo Huggins -- his ma was fond of flowers and irony.

Stinkin' Tom AKA Tomten -- his ma was fond of flowers, irony, and Elizabeth Zimmerman's knit designs.

From Knitting Without Tears: “Tomten is a small Swedish elf who specializes in good deeds, and your child will resemble him strangely, if you put a Tomten jacket on him or her.

Pattern description from Knitting Workshop: “The little old TOMTEN JACKET (yes, Swedes, I know that the ‘en’ is redundant) is getting on for 44 years old; the age of our oldest child, although all three of them wore it. We have perfected the pattern a bit to make it MODULAR: All operations in the construction of this sweater are fractions of the number of cast-on stitches, which should optimally be divisible by 8. The prototype is done on 112 stitch and by varying wool thickness and needle size, (and by using your brains) can fit from baby to slender adult.”

5. What do the trolls hear as Bilbo’s answer to their question, “What are yer?”

Brrr! A hobbit hobo lost in the woods, and cold. Wants a good burgling job. Plenty of excitement. But not this much! Good day!

[A really first-class one would've stolen the troll's knife, whittled three knitting needles, and then stabbed them all before they knew which end was which. But he was a noob.]

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 29 2013, 9:00pm

Post #54 of 76 (666 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, yum! *grabs a scone & tea* Thanks, Starling! *wipes off counter*// [In reply to] Can't Post

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 29 2013, 9:10pm

Post #55 of 76 (664 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* #5 [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the one I missed working in a reference to. Ah, well, I'll have to try harder next time. Sly

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 29 2013, 9:15pm

Post #56 of 76 (659 views)
Shortcut
So, do Dwarves prefer [In reply to] Can't Post

Continental or English - er - Rohirrim style knitting?

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 29 2013, 9:16pm

Post #57 of 76 (658 views)
Shortcut
Yup... [In reply to] Can't Post

done it before, will do it again...

Excel is my friend! Nothing fancy, just takes a little time to keep it all organized.

It's nice to see everyone enjoying it. Smile

sador
Half-elven

Jan 29 2013, 9:37pm

Post #58 of 76 (665 views)
Shortcut
As strict and unforgiving towards noobs as ever, are you? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 29 2013, 10:28pm

Post #59 of 76 (655 views)
Shortcut
Judging by their accents... [In reply to] Can't Post

ummm, so-called Irish cottage or Scottish pit/English lever knitting? =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 29 2013, 10:39pm

Post #60 of 76 (650 views)
Shortcut
Hey, now! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't enjoyed the sport of noob-baiting in years! ... Thanks for the reminder! ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd

Nira
Lorien

Jan 30 2013, 1:09am

Post #61 of 76 (646 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

You are correct! I forgot about that. Smile

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?"

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 30 2013, 2:26am

Post #62 of 76 (654 views)
Shortcut
Alrighty then! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. What is Bilbo doing when Gandalf walks in to Bag End, the morning after the Unexpected Party? (Be as specific as possible.)
Crocheting doilies (he's a "closet crocheter") while smoking his first pipe of the day after having finished second breakfast.

2. Which dwarf gives Bilbo his spare hood and cloak, when Bilbo finds himself joining the company without any travelling gear?
Dwalin

3. What does Thorin tell Bilbo to do if he can’t come back, when Thorin sends him off to investigate the mysterious light in the woods?
Hoot like an owl, although really, a better choice might have been
Bilbo's steam-engine-like "struck by lightning!" screech at Bag End.

bonekrushr, iluvmuttun and trolsr0ck162...known in RL as Tom, Bert, and William.

"A burrahobbit"

Silverlode

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Jan 30 2013, 10:55am)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 30 2013, 10:05am

Post #63 of 76 (620 views)
Shortcut
*raises eyebrows* [In reply to] Can't Post

I did say, when in doubt, just answer "Thorin". They're just following instructions! Angelic

Elvanui
Rivendell

Jan 30 2013, 10:10am

Post #64 of 76 (632 views)
Shortcut
I know I'm new(ly active) around here and everything.. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I heart you.

"...under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth."

FantasyFan
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 1:23pm

Post #65 of 76 (628 views)
Shortcut
Answering without reading all the brilliance I am sure has been posted here [In reply to] Can't Post

I do really enjoy these, and I'm glad you've started them up again, Ro.

Desperately trying to reorder his stack of “Best Knitting Patterns of the Shire Monthly” magazines. He had a complete set covering S.R. 1310 to 1326, with many of those having been left to him by his mother. He kept them in strict date order in the second parlor, but had found them scattered throughout the hole after the dwarves had left, including in the pantry under the pickled egg jar, the umbrella stand, and even two issues from 1312 in the privy. The hardest one to retrieve had been rolled up and stuck into the hall chandelier, possibly as padding.

But all that climbing about had made him hungry, so he decided to eat, and was just sitting down to a late second breakfast of what was probably the last food in the hole, and mourning the lack of seed-cake, when Gandalf came by and accused him of not dusting under the clock. It was probably just a diversion so that Bilbo would not notice the missing pages from May 1309 issue, featuring a knitted bobbled pipe sling with matching pipeweed pouch.

Dwalin very kindly lent Bilbo a weathered dark green hood and cloak, for which the hobbit was ever grateful. He never knew that Dwalin gave it away because he thought dark green made him look too pale and clashed with the yellow undertones in his blue beard, having had his colors done the year before by a dashing Dwarven maid in Dale. He’d been trying to convince the company ever since that he really was a “spring” and should be wearing cerise.

The instructions were to hoot twice like a barn owl and once like a screech owl if there was danger. Bilbo stopped listening at that point, not being able to hoot like any kind of owl. If he had kept on, he would have heard Thorin adding he should quack like a duck if there was food, whistle like a train if there was steam-powered transportation available and call for eagles if there was not, tap dance if it looked like rain was on the horizon, honk like a goose if there were dangerous elves, or like a turkey if they were the silly Tra-La-Lalling type, run like heck if it was Trolls, and under no circumstances sing.

Bert, William and Tom. Of course, this being a story by Tolkien, they had at least two more names each. Bert was known in the secret language of Trolls that they tell no one, as Kyarottotoppu, a name which best translates to Carrot-top. Not because of his red hair, as you might have expected, but because he was fond of cleaning his ears with long pointed vegetables; and to the southern Trolls, who have a somewhat different dialect, as Zanahoriaoidos. His mother called him her little pumpkin, which I think referred more to the shape of his backside than anything else.

William was of course also called Bill. But then he was also called Fred, Athelbert and sometimes even Betty. He had one of those faces that was just difficult to recognize. He was known to some of the dwarves of the North as Fetthinten, since they often confused him with Bert, when they weren’t calling him Potthasslich. William once said he didn’t mind, as long as nobody called him late to clean up after dinner. It sounded odd until you realized he had a particular fondness for rib bones.

Tom was the baby of the group, and so was called very derogatory things such as Minuscolostitico, referring mostly to the state of his digestion, or Kuchihizume, for his table manners, that were gross even by Troll standards.

William heard “burrahobbit” and immediately thought of three burros he had eaten once near Dale, and how he had been picking bits of their hooves out of his teeth for a week. Bert was a little hard of hearing, and so he heard “burritohotbit” and was quite disappointed, as spicy food gave him a tummy upset. Tom, having less experience than the others, and even worse hearing, though Bilbo said “burn a hot foot” which made little sense to him, but he jumped back anyway to preserve the three toes he had left on his right foot, and took little part in the ensuing conversation. Unfortunately, he forgot his caution later when he kicked sparks from the fire into Thorin’s face, severely scorching his pinky toe. The blisters are still visible on the stone statue today.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2013, 4:27am

Post #66 of 76 (602 views)
Shortcut
That was cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Totally intimidating, but cool! (I just had to read/surf about Scottish pit knitting - ha! - last night... oh, the lure of knitting techniques)

Thanks, Eowyn of Penns Woods!

edited to add: So, now I'm picturing movie-Dori with a knitting belt or stick somewhere amongst his kit, ready to knit up mufflers, gauntlets, hats and cardigans at a moment's notice... Wink
(I'm guessing he feels responsible for keeping his baby brother safe and warm on their journey)

(This post was edited by Arandiel on Jan 31 2013, 4:33am)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2013, 9:36am

Post #67 of 76 (612 views)
Shortcut
*stares sternly over quizmistress glasses* [In reply to] Can't Post

Now, now, bomby, if you're posting your answers as a reply to entmaiden, you weren't doing the quiz "closed book" -- you must have had entmaiden's post open! SmileWink

Thanks for the laughs! Though I may be scarred for life thinking about Bilbo sitting in a hot tub playing with his rubber ducky! Laugh

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2013, 9:04pm

Post #68 of 76 (585 views)
Shortcut
******QUIZ CLOSED****** [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for participating, everyone! Answers/results to be posted soon.

sador
Half-elven

Feb 1 2013, 1:12pm

Post #69 of 76 (566 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, had I been less tired when I wrote this, I would have added that not giving a hoot, Bilbo went for the loot; and add a reference to "The Root of the Boot".
But alas, I was too tired. Shoot.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 2 2013, 9:05am

Post #70 of 76 (636 views)
Shortcut
SAST Quiz 1 Answers & Results [In reply to] Can't Post

*Ro walks in with a bag of shiny gold stars* Well done, all of you! This was a great start to this edition of SAST! *hands out stars to everyone who participated* Lovely to see so many new faces amongst the...umm...less new ones. Average score was about a 3.3 – pretty darn close to perfectly mediocre. Many of you also earned well-deserved IEC – you’ve set the bar high this time! Answers and results below, and as always, if you have any questions, please ask.

*Ro heads out practicing her screech-owl hoot and wondering if Fili and Kili might come to the rescue*

Questions with Answers

Sitting down to a nice little second breakfast

Dwalin

Hoot twice like a barn-owl and once like a screech-owl [Note: I was generous with this one, and you got a point if you indicated anything about hooting and owls.]

William (Bill), Bert, and Tom

A burrahobbit

Scores

5 Points (Well done!!):

The Prancing Pony
Bellerock
Aragalen the Green
Elberbeth
sador
grammaboodawg
Eowyn of Penns Woods
Silverlode
FantasyFan

4 Points:

SirDennisC
Angharad73
dernwyn
Eowyn3
Ruxendil Thoorg
Ziggy Stardust
Nira
entmaiden
Eledhwen
Rolfina
Elessar
Lissuin

3 Points:

Ataahua
arithmancer
Elvanui

1 Point:

Kassandros
Arandiel
Loresilme

0 Points (though I’m quite sure you weren’t really trying Wink):

yrouko
Eruwestial37
Bombadil
Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Alassëa Eruvande

Invisible Extra Credit (thanks for the laughs!!! LaughLaugh) to: Angharad73; Arandiel; arithmancer; Ataahua; Bellerock; Bombadil; dernwyn; Elberbeth; Eledhwen; entmaiden; Eowyn of Penns Woods ; Eruwestial37; FantasyFan; grammaboodawg; Kassandros; Lissuin; Loresilme; Nira; Rolfina; Rosie-with-the-ribbons; Ruxendil Thoorg; sador; Silverlode; yrouko.

Extra Special IEC to Alassëa Eruvande for not just answering “Thorin” to most questions, but for providing pictures as well. Heart

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 2 2013, 7:25pm

Post #71 of 76 (564 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

I avoided in round one of making myself look silly. lol

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 2 2013, 8:50pm

Post #72 of 76 (553 views)
Shortcut
Knitted bobbled pipe sling? [In reply to] Can't Post

With matching pipeweed pouch?

To hang from the inside of his cloak, perhaps?

Now we know what he has not got in his pocketsses, precious! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2013, 7:22pm

Post #73 of 76 (566 views)
Shortcut
What a great start! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cripes, I've missed these. It's also a nice experience for me to remember something once in a while! It doesn't happen that often anymore ;)

THANKS RO! *big hug*

First draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

batik
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2013, 10:07pm

Post #74 of 76 (651 views)
Shortcut
Closed Book! eek! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cleaning house

Balin

Keep on going...

William, Bill, Burt

BurraHobbit

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 4 2013, 3:25am

Post #75 of 76 (549 views)
Shortcut
Uh-oh! [In reply to] Can't Post

We're slipping!

Better make the next one harder, Ro...Wink

(Yes, it's great that so many who are new to this joined in! Cool)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.