Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Box Office Update
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

peace1993
Bree

Feb 3 2013, 6:01pm

Post #1 of 49 (2053 views)
Shortcut
Box Office Update Can't Post

AUJ made over 1.9 million in the US over the weekend.
Overall gross in the US is at $ 296.2 million
Overall worldwide gross is at $943.3 million
International gross update to come soon....
Do you guys think its holding up well? What about the chances on getting to 300 million in the US and 1 billion WW?

Sam: Trust a Brandybuck and a Took.
Merry: What? That was just a detour, a shortcut.
Sam: Shortcut to what?
Pippin: Mushrooms!

Welsh hero
Gondor

Feb 3 2013, 6:06pm

Post #2 of 49 (922 views)
Shortcut
billion world wide is very doable [In reply to] Can't Post

making 300 in the state depends on how much longer it's open over there

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 3 2013, 6:09pm

Post #3 of 49 (990 views)
Shortcut
Disappointed a little ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering the hype behind these films and the massive fan-base, I never thought that the 1 billion mark would be such a steep hill.

I've no doubt that they'll reach it, but considering all expectations (not to mention the costs of 3D tickets), it seems like AUJ has suffered a little. Most probably due to the early reviews and criticisms towards the 48fps - which may have put off the casual moviegoer into choosing something else ... Unsure

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 3 2013, 6:56pm

Post #4 of 49 (862 views)
Shortcut
Just 3,8 milliion left to 300 domestic [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a chance, but reaching 1 billion worldwide is more important. It will be very interesting to follow China's gross.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

peace1993
Bree

Feb 3 2013, 7:23pm

Post #5 of 49 (890 views)
Shortcut
Update [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ is currently at $949.2 million WW.
It is the highest grossing film of 2012 in Germany.
50.8 million to go!!!!!!!!!

Sam: Trust a Brandybuck and a Took.
Merry: What? That was just a detour, a shortcut.
Sam: Shortcut to what?
Pippin: Mushrooms!

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2013, 7:38pm

Post #6 of 49 (831 views)
Shortcut
i think its done very well considering that... [In reply to] Can't Post

it isn't a very "mainstream" film, at least AUJ isn't, there is no love interests, no romance unlike in LOTR's with the Aragorn/Arwen/Eowyn love triangle.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty, oh will you please take me home!!

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Feb 3 2013, 7:39pm)

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 3 2013, 7:46pm

Post #7 of 49 (785 views)
Shortcut
Good [In reply to] Can't Post

40-50 million from China and it's a lock.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2013, 7:54pm

Post #8 of 49 (813 views)
Shortcut
Key international markets [In reply to] Can't Post

Germany: $86.6m
UK: $83.5m
France: $44.6m
Russia: $43.7m
Australia: $42.9m
Spain: $29.4m
Italy: $22.1m
Korea: $21.8m
Sweden: $21.5m
Japan: $19.8m
Mexico: $19.3m
Brazil: $17.8m

Most impressive market is Sweden with a population of not even 10m people. Germany is a very good result, too. Least impressive is definitely Japan. ROTK grossed $95m there (FOTR 68m).

It would surprise me if it doesn't hit $300m domestically but i got to lower my overseas forecast from current markets by $5m to $660m - $665m. Needs $40m from China to reach the billion worldwide.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Feb 3 2013, 8:04pm)

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 3 2013, 8:02pm

Post #9 of 49 (749 views)
Shortcut
I am glad and almost proud to see Sweden so high on that list [In reply to] Can't Post

Just 9 million inhabitants vs Japan's 128 million... alas, if only all countries would follow our lead! Cool

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 3 2013, 8:41pm

Post #10 of 49 (758 views)
Shortcut
No-one was that excited about it (other than us hardcore fans) because [In reply to] Can't Post

It was the start of a new story and a prequel! People will be excited about DoS because "what happens next?" is much more exciting than "what happened before?"

Also with all the hubbub surrounding 3D and HFR and different formats people got a little confused to the point of not really caring about it. I'm expecting some pretty solid DVD sales figures, though.

morgul lord
Rivendell

Feb 3 2013, 8:47pm

Post #11 of 49 (743 views)
Shortcut
It made more than FOTR and TTT [In reply to] Can't Post

In what universe is that disappointing?

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 3 2013, 9:03pm

Post #12 of 49 (688 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Besides, 180 million was invested and sold almost 1 billion. I think a lot of profit was made for the investors. How can it possibly not be a financial success?
Wish I could get this kind of return on my money!

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Feb 3 2013, 9:07pm

Post #13 of 49 (716 views)
Shortcut
In This Universe [In reply to] Can't Post

where somehow critics just did not want this movie to succeed. It may be that critics were eager to knock Jackson down. It may be me but many negative reviews I read had that flavor to them

Then there is this: I started reading reviews as soon as they were available and the first thing I noticed was how many of them carped about the 48 FPS. They gave the movie low marks because they didn't like the format. And not liking the format lead them to not like other things. And Boom! a less than stellar review.

And finally: If people only read the headline of the review and not the body of the review (and we know that that is true of news stories) then what they would see is that AUJ is "not as good" as LOTR. So they don't go to see the film.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2013, 9:13pm

Post #14 of 49 (691 views)
Shortcut
In a universe where... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Avengers can hit $1.5b and a James Bond can do $1.1b. In a universe where we get a few billion grossers per year. Now compare that to 2001, only four movies were bigger than FOTR when it came out. ROTK was the 2nd biggest movie ever.

Before Hobbit came out i would have never thought it would gross less than TTT in North America or less than ROTK overseas. We went through this, inflation, 3D, a bigger worldwide market yadda-yadda-yadda.

It's not a huge disappointment but one nonetheless.

Well, you asked.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Feb 3 2013, 9:15pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 3 2013, 9:23pm

Post #15 of 49 (734 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'm really annoyed [In reply to] Can't Post

because I'd really like to go see it again, but in my area, the theater is down to only one showing of it per day - and it's at 9:30pm. With my schedule, I can't go to a movie that starts that late (and with trailers, it'll start even later, more like 10). What is with them Mad??!? And I'm annoyed not only because *I* would really like to see it again, but also because it can't possibly make lots more money if other theaters are doing the same thing (only showing it once per day). But idk, if it made $1.9 million over the weekend, maybe other theaters are still having several showings per day.

I'm just hoping that my theater keeps it a while longer and changes the showing to a different time.

Pooey FrownMadUnsureMadFrown.

Well, other than that ... I'm happy it's doing well. It's really close to $300 million in the U.S. I think it will get there Smile.

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 3 2013, 9:30pm

Post #16 of 49 (662 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to hear that! [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess I should be happy that I have 3 theaters showing twice a day, and the showings are at various times. Lots of choices still in my area, including high frame!
I have watched 6 times and will watch againSmile

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2013, 9:36pm

Post #17 of 49 (709 views)
Shortcut
They invested $350m for the 1st movie [In reply to] Can't Post

$200m production budget plus $150m marketing. Now, that's a ballpark figure, studios don't disclose actual numbers.

About half of the box office gets to the studios, so WB (& MGM) will make about $500m from the 1st movie. That's a profit of $150m.

Of course that's just box office. They also make money from merchandising, bluray / dvds, TV broadcasting rights etc.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Feb 3 2013, 9:36pm

Post #18 of 49 (635 views)
Shortcut
Me, Too [In reply to] Can't Post

I still have fairly good choices although most of them are the 3D variety. Unfortunately I cannot watch 3D. My biggest problem is carving 3 hours out of my day to see the film again.

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Feb 3 2013, 9:39pm

Post #19 of 49 (657 views)
Shortcut
The Universe where those figures were ten years ago. [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh wait, that's this one.

Think of the movies that make a billion+ these days - Avengers, Skyfall... in my opinion, instantly forgettable, paint-by-numbers stuff.

* crunch *

(This post was edited by Crunchable Birdses on Feb 3 2013, 9:40pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 3 2013, 9:42pm

Post #20 of 49 (628 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that's great! [In reply to] Can't Post

ooooh *pouts* you're so lucky, lol. I would love to be able to see it again in HFR. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, but ...ok, I'm among people who understand here :-) .... I actually CALLED the theater, to ask them about it! I put on my best grown-up voice and tried to advise them that there are still a lot of fans who want to watch it, but... I didn't get very far with it. And I guess I didn't make much of an impression, since they've just whittled the showings down even more Crazy.

Oh well... Enjoy your viewings though! Especially in HFR!

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 3 2013, 9:51pm

Post #21 of 49 (631 views)
Shortcut
May I suggest ... [In reply to] Can't Post

that you widen your choice of theatre? I have a preference for Harkins Theatres here since they are a home grown business, are still primarily located in AZ, and seem to be interested in their community here. But, when my two favorite Harkins stopped showing it at all, I had to expand to the AMC which is still showing it a couple times a day even if it is in the smallest theatre of each complex. Understandable since they only get about 10-15 people per show now. Another thing that I've done is, if the showing is convenient to the time I'll be passing by on my way home (very long commute so there are a few choices along the way), i'll pop in and watch it - and then i miss rush hour too. Smile

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 3 2013, 10:06pm

Post #22 of 49 (603 views)
Shortcut
I wish! [In reply to] Can't Post

But with my schedule (work, family, etc), getting the time away for a 3hour movie is tough enough - if I tack on a lengthy drive to get to a theater further away, it's just not doable. To see it the first or second time, yes, I definitely would have done that though - I'd have made special arrangements and made a day trip of it. But now that I've seen it 7 times, lol, it's a weeee bit hard to justify doing something like that now :-).

That's great that you have privately owned theaters that get first-run movies and will show mainstream films like TH! We have a few privately owned theaters in the area, but they specialize in smaller or independent films. I'm going to keep an eye on it, but as far as I recall I don't think they're second run theaters, I think they just focus on (ha ha, no pun intended) showing independent or foreign films.

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Feb 3 2013, 10:07pm)

pulpfiction16
Rivendell

Feb 3 2013, 10:18pm

Post #23 of 49 (609 views)
Shortcut
Not Mainstream? [In reply to] Can't Post

If Lord of the Rings can do massive numbers, Hobbit should too. Same series, featuring Hobbits, dwarves, wizards. I highly doubt anyone specifically went to see the movies to see 10 minutes of the 3 hour run times devoted to a love triangle.

The Hobbit is an incredibly mainstream film, because the Lord of the Rings are incredibly mainstream films. They are too similar to ignore comparison.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 3 2013, 10:27pm

Post #24 of 49 (659 views)
Shortcut
It's been in theatres for almost 2 months* [In reply to] Can't Post

and most of that in wide release... Box office gross is largely meaningless at this point, at least for comparative purposes.

eta: * who ever thought we'd be able to say that? The production cycle was excruciatingly long -- and technically isn't over yet.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Feb 3 2013, 10:29pm)

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 3 2013, 11:02pm

Post #25 of 49 (559 views)
Shortcut
I hope you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

and that it will reach the billion dollar mark. I don't know how big the fanbase is in China, but I read it's supposed to open there this month? And I completely agree with you that the early criticisms and reviews really hurt the movie's box office draw. Probably all the fans of LOTR would go regardless of what the critics and reviews said (we tend to be a rather independent lot), but as you said, the casual movie goer - of which there are plenty - would probably be put off. I know personally folks who won't go to any film unless it's gotten a good review. Can't understand that mentality (or lack of it).

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.