The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
bakshi

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jan 10 2013, 5:29pm

Post #1 of 14 (900 views)
Shortcut
bakshi Can't Post

i love watching his version, maybe its just nostalgic having watched it as a 10 year old, but i think so many parts of the characterisation and feel of the film is spot on.

frodo is better, the elves seem more elvish (except elrond of course) even the ringwraithes have more gravitas in some respects. i think ive probably seen it more times than the pj films overall.

i presume this has all been talked about before lol

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

(This post was edited by jimmyfenn on Jan 10 2013, 5:33pm)

elevorn
Lorien

Jan 10 2013, 5:54pm

Post #2 of 14 (754 views)
Shortcut
eh [In reply to] Can't Post

It has its moments and its place in Tolkien films, but for me it was not an acceptable version. Too many mispronunciations and complete misusing of a name. and for me Aragorn was way off, and as child I kept wondering how Saruman (Aruman sometimes) became Theoden, the characters are too close.

I do like Gollum though.

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 10 2013, 9:29pm

Post #3 of 14 (716 views)
Shortcut
Too many people criticize the Bakshi version [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes the Saruman/Aruman thing is annoying, and yes the Balrog looks like a lion with wings, but I enjoyed it much more than the Rankin/Bass versions (which, I'm sorry, are terrible in my opinion).

I liked the way they stayed close to the book, and two characters stood out for me in particular-Gollum (voiced by Peter Woodthorpe, who also did him in the BBC radio version) sounded appropriate(no offence meant, Mr. Serkis, you were great, but Woodthorpe's voice was almost perfect for Gollum in my opinion).

Even more of a standout was John Hurt's voice work for Aragorn-just as I imagined the character, and the Aragorn that I hear inside my head whenever I read the book.

It would have been very interesting to have seen what Bakshi would have done with Return of the King, particularly how he would have handled Shelob.

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jan 11 2013, 12:35am

Post #4 of 14 (665 views)
Shortcut
the screen play by Peter Beagle [In reply to] Can't Post

was bery good. It was the movie that caused shudders and rolling eyes. And the blasted fact that it ends in the middle of the story!!!!

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 11 2013, 7:41pm

Post #5 of 14 (629 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a decent effort. However, doing the films live action, for all their faults, elevated the fantasy genre from cartoons. That's another important aspect of what Peter Jackson did. The whole genre is taken more seriously now because technology and innovation allowed it to be filmed the way it was. It's almost what the Wizard of Oz was to films for children, and it opened up the market. Sure, there were fantasy films before LOTR, but they got even worse reviews and no notice in awards at all, even though a few had some merit.

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Jan 11 2013, 8:28pm

Post #6 of 14 (626 views)
Shortcut
If there were ever animated series... [In reply to] Can't Post

...based on entire Lotr book, without omitting any details or at least, using 90% of all the entire material, I would like to see them in this style, only partially. Rotoscoping is a nice technology and orcs sometimes fell out of place, but they were really scary (though designs could've been better).

nothinglikethesun9
The Shire

Jan 12 2013, 2:22am

Post #7 of 14 (604 views)
Shortcut
Agreed!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it is one of the finest works of cinema ever. If you can catch the trailer on iTunes, you will find Orson Welles narrating this 'outstanding journey of the human heart'.....chills!!

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Jan 12 2013, 9:57pm

Post #8 of 14 (607 views)
Shortcut
Different strokes [In reply to] Can't Post

Speaking for myself, I loved the Rankin/Bass versions and hated Bakshi's film. It depends on one's personal taste and early experiences. The Rankin/Bass Hobbit was my introduction to Tolkien's world so it will always have a place in my heart. I prefer those character designs, those voice actors, and the use of music, especially the songs adapted directly from Tolkien's poems.

I just couldn't warm up to Bakshi's version. The Saruman/Aruman thing was confusing and unprofessional. The rotoscoping was distracting. The Balrog was pretty laughable. Boromir's Viking helmet was a very odd choice. The Elrond design was awful. And of course, while not Bakshi's fault, it ends in the middle of the story.

The Rankin/Bass versions are flawed as well, of course. But for me at least, they have a nostalgia factor and a charming style that I find more appealing than Bakshi's film.

carrioncrow
Lorien

Jan 15 2013, 2:07am

Post #9 of 14 (681 views)
Shortcut
the complete script [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always thought the script was pretty economical.
I think it would hard for anyone to do better in the same amount of run time.
Has the complete script (including the unreleased/unfilmed portion) ever been made available to the public?
I'd love to see that.

To my eyes, the Balrog looks too much like Drooper from the Banana Splits

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 16 2013, 11:50pm

Post #10 of 14 (554 views)
Shortcut
you (and others!) might be interested in this Bakshi/Jackson mix... [In reply to] Can't Post

A few years ago, I found this great series on youtube by a fan who took on the job of combining images from the Jackson trilogy with the Bakshi movie audio.

I always had a hard time getting past the animation, so seeing it in this way helped me to appreciate Bakshi's attempt a bit more. I know see it as a sort of "rough draft" than something that missed the mark.

Here's a link to the post where you can see Part 1:

When Peter Met Ralph, Part 1

You can get to all the other ones if you do a search for "when peter met ralph" posts by me (weaver), if you want to see them all, or just access them all via youtube directly. At least I hope they are still available that way, they are worth a watch!

Weaver

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Jan 24 2013, 6:45am

Post #11 of 14 (661 views)
Shortcut
Gave it a second try [In reply to] Can't Post

I recently found a copy of Bakshi's version for pretty cheap so I decided to give it a second chance. I ended up enjoying it more than the first time I saw it. It covers a decent chunk of the story in a pretty economical way. The prologue in shadow is an interesting technique. Most of the characters are well acted and consistent with the book (though I still dislike many of the designs. Seriously, where are Aragorn's pants?). John Hurt was pretty awesome, as he usually is. Overall, it's a better movie than I remembered.

I still feel the same about my main issues though -- the rotoscoping and the Saruman/Aruman thing. The rotoscoping just looks ugly and awkward to me. It doesn't blend well with the other animation. It's distracting and takes me out of the story. As for Saruman's changing name, I just find that baffling. Didn't Bakshi notice this while editing the film? Was there a rush to get it in theaters so he wasn't able to rerecord dialogue?

I think I will always prefer the Rankin/Bass movies but Bakshi did a fairly decent interpretation. Too bad he didn't get to finish it.

andwise
Rivendell

Jan 28 2013, 4:47pm

Post #12 of 14 (541 views)
Shortcut
bakshi/jackson [In reply to] Can't Post

That's excellent!first time I've seen it and it illustrates what I said when FOTR came out.there are a lot of nods and tips of the hat from Mr Jackson to the bakshi version.structure of the prologue is the obvious one but there are more and rightly so because bakshis version was a big thing back in the day,I've got very fond memories of it being on t.v. at Christmas when I was a kid...wonder if this is why a lot of us love the fact that the rings trilogy came out at Xmas time...?I think PJ recognised that bakshi had the right idea and could see what he was trying to do and put a few nods in there in respect of that.thanks for putting that on weaver Smile

Arrow....black arrow,I have saved you to the last.you have never failed me and always I have recovered you.I had you from my father and he from old.if ever you came from the forges of the true king under the mountain,go now and speed well

geordie
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2013, 8:56pm

Post #13 of 14 (619 views)
Shortcut
A copy of the screenplay is up for sale on ebay at present [In reply to] Can't Post

look here - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-LORD-OF-THE-RINGS-ORIGINAL-EARLY-ANNOTATED-SCREENPLAY-RALPH-BAKSHI-FILM-/400395212278?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item5d396a15f6

- bit expensive though.

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 4 2013, 11:09am

Post #14 of 14 (603 views)
Shortcut
Ralph Bakshis verision of Samwise Gamgee... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is one of the worst characters in the history of animated films. He is a total joke, no idea why they wanted to turn him to a dumb comic relief.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.