Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Return of the Getting to Know You thread
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 1 2013, 2:54pm

Post #26 of 50 (146 views)
Shortcut
I've only had one really high fever in my life. [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was a kid, I got up to 106. Unfortunately, I was awake for it all. My mom even dragged me into the doctor's office, and that's what I remember, sitting miserable in the waiting room.

So, no fever dreams, and not even any drug-induced dreams. Mr. Eruvande is the one with the wacky codeine dreams, so he refuses to take codeine.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 1 2013, 5:25pm

Post #27 of 50 (141 views)
Shortcut
Very intense! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think someone was watching over you, m'dear :) I believe in that sort of thing and have witnessed it many times.

Thankfully, I've never been so ill that I've been hospitalized or lost in a fever, but dreams are always there. One that I just spoke with my family about happened many years ago, but I can still see it, feel it, and fear it! In my many travels (whilst a homeless hippie in the 70s), I dreamt I was driving our old Ford Van back to Michigan from Florida to see my Mom and Dad; but when I got about 2 miles from our home, the roads had all changed and I didn't know how to get there!! 15 years later, the roads were changed to accomodate the growth of the local airport... and the new roads looked exactly like the ones in my dream.

*shudder* Lost a lot of trees and a small park... which all of us still miss.

sampleWishes you a Happy Groundhog Day!

First draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 1 2013, 7:13pm

Post #28 of 50 (139 views)
Shortcut
My one and only really high fever was cause for hilarity. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't find it so hilarious. I was kinda P.O.'d. I drag myself out of bed and down the hall with a nasty case of the flu, and when asked what I'm doing up, I get laughed at for gasping "Bagpipes." ..."I heard bagpipes." ..."On the TV!" ..."Yes, I did!"..."It just took so long to register and for me to crawl down the hall that you've already forgotten the show or news blurb it was on!!! It woke me up, I tell you!!!11!"

I'm often influenced by a TV that's on while I'm trying to sleep, and will wake up in response to some things, and my memory is better than my parents'. I'm convinced I heard a cop's funeral or a parade or something like that through the wall, but the only thing the incident really proves is which cultural heritage runs strongest in me! ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 2 2013, 9:14am

Post #29 of 50 (140 views)
Shortcut
Oh! That reminds me... [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the most fascinating things I've discovered about dreams and flying is that no two people fly the exact same way in their dreams. I've done polls here in the distant past, and with people in "real life" too, and the range of methods and styles that people use to fly is absolutely fascinating. I'm sure there's some deep psychoanalysis someone could do on this, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 2 2013, 4:25pm

Post #30 of 50 (260 views)
Shortcut
In my dreams... I would tread air [In reply to] Can't Post

in the same way as one treads water.

I would just kind of kick around my feet and wave my hands and arms and I would achieve loft. I didn't travel far or fast nor did I get very high, but I could kind of control the direction I went.

I haven't had that dream since adolescence, though.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 2 2013, 5:06pm

Post #31 of 50 (133 views)
Shortcut
I taught myself to fly in dreams :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I started out years ago trying to fly in a dream. I'd run and jump Superman-style (lol) but was only able to fly about an inch above the ground, then fall to earth. It was so much fun that I was determined
to try and actually think about it (while asleep), and over time I learned to go very high up into the air, which was cool too because I'm terrified of heights. Later I "learned" to just step up into the air instead of jumping.

It is interesting because it feels so real in my dreams, and I'm showing my friends how I can fly, and then something reminds me that it's just a dream. Usually like "oh I can't wait to show so-and-so how I can fly when I wake up---aw nuts!". It's such a totally different experience, a little like the weightless feeling when swimming, but without the water.

You should do a poll again! It would be interesting to see how others fly.

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 3 2013, 12:00pm

Post #32 of 50 (119 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

My husband either is all better in my dreams or he was dead & now is alive again but will go back to being dead or something similar. It doesn't scare me but can be unnerving. It's been three years now & I'm finally at the point where I think about him with happy memories rather than sadness or longing.

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 3 2013, 12:10pm

Post #33 of 50 (110 views)
Shortcut
I have those half awake half asleep dreams in the morning [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I'm dreaming & will try to change the dream's outcome. I also went through a period when I had a lot of nightmares & had to learn how to change their outcomes.

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 3 2013, 12:12pm

Post #34 of 50 (110 views)
Shortcut
I used to fly in my dreams when [In reply to] Can't Post

I was younger-it was great &I I'm afraid of heights, too.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 4 2013, 7:48am

Post #35 of 50 (101 views)
Shortcut
Yeah me too [In reply to] Can't Post

and I really love that song too, it's on one of my music playlists that I play a lot :)

Hm, never heard of hypnagogia before, but it sounds plausible with what I experienced, it was so vivid!

I'm glad mine wasn't as bad as yours!

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 4 2013, 7:48am

Post #36 of 50 (102 views)
Shortcut
How about regular dreams sil? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 4 2013, 7:52am

Post #37 of 50 (102 views)
Shortcut
You know [In reply to] Can't Post

you could be right gramma. What I didn't say before was that the image was backlit by a very bright white light, so all I could make out was that it was male and had dark hair, I couldn't see their face very clearly because the light was so intense. Curious...

I find it really sad whenever we drive up to Perth, it's spread so far south that much of the land that was bushland when we moved south has pretty much disappeared. I'm so glad my town is completely surrounded by state forest that can never be built on.

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 4 2013, 7:53am

Post #38 of 50 (112 views)
Shortcut
Got any normal [In reply to] Can't Post

whacky dreams you'd like to share with us?

*I know, I'm an evil little kitty Sly *

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 4 2013, 7:58am

Post #39 of 50 (102 views)
Shortcut
Funny you should say [In reply to] Can't Post

about hearing footsteps. I woke up the other night, convinced I'd heard someone outside our bedroom window, down the side of our house saying "Come on, we can get in here".

I was out of the bed almost before I was awake and checking all the rooms, doors and windows, making sure the boys had remembered to lock them. When I looked outside there wasn't anyone there. Mr Kel told me the next day it was probably in response to us talking about replacing the side fence. It certainly freaked me out lol.

And rambling is fine dear, I do it ALL the time. At least I do when I have the time to come and play here, don't get to do that as much as I used to.

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 4 2013, 8:01am

Post #40 of 50 (105 views)
Shortcut
*twack* [In reply to] Can't Post

You should know by now I only fancy REAL men WinkLaugh

Comment from youngest son after seeing an ad for Twilight "That's not a REAL vampire!!!" SlyEvil See out of the mouth of babes Wink

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 4 2013, 3:11pm

Post #41 of 50 (100 views)
Shortcut
Ok kel just for you....no one else look..... [In reply to] Can't Post

When i was in my teens living with my folks (in my high school days), I would have these dreams occasionally. I would dream i was bounding down the street and all over actually, 50-100ft at a time, finding spots up through the tree branches and back down again. I would realize after a bit that i was naked and felt embarrassedBlush. . It was momentary because the sense of elation and freedom was so intense i ceased to be alarmed by it. The lightness and grace i felt was incredible....

I had largely forgotten them until i first read the passage form 'Fog on the Barrow -Downs' as Tom Bombadil told them, 'You've found yourselves again....Be glad, my merry friends, and let the warm sunlight heat now heart and limb! Cast off those cold rags! Run naked on the grass, while Tom goes a-hunting." From that and getting to know Tom and Goldberry, how can one not know how to live and love.

....Hey, who's peeking?

Kassandros
Rohan

Feb 4 2013, 4:50pm

Post #42 of 50 (96 views)
Shortcut
Although I love flying, I never fly in my dreams. [In reply to] Can't Post

In addition to flying different ways, some people don't ever dream of flying. Oddly, I don't seem to have any of the "normal" dreams like flying, falling, or going to work or school naked.

It's funny, too, because I actually am fascinated by flying. I've only tried hang-gliding once but absolutely loved it and hope to get into it more regularly at some point in the future. And I love watching birds in flight. A fair portion of my poetry involves flying in one way or another. But dreaming about it? Pretty much never.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

imin
Valinor

Feb 4 2013, 5:42pm

Post #43 of 50 (90 views)
Shortcut
Has anyone ever dreamed they died in the dream? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kassandros
Rohan

Feb 4 2013, 6:53pm

Post #44 of 50 (92 views)
Shortcut
I usually wake up just before I would be killed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to have a recurring home-invasion type dream which usually involved lots of fleeing and eventually being cornered in an impossible situation. That's when I'd wake up. I believe if I'm ever trapped and about to be killed in a dream, I wake up. Thankfully, I haven't had many of these dreams lately.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 4 2013, 11:07pm

Post #45 of 50 (98 views)
Shortcut
Luckily no, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I have the stupid-falling-edge-of-sleep dreams, when I wake up with a jerk (sorry Mr. the Green :)

And when I was very young, I had a recurring dream where a tractor was chasing me down the street. In front of my Grandma's house. Cool

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

imin
Valinor

Feb 5 2013, 12:28am

Post #46 of 50 (86 views)
Shortcut
Yeah that is what happens to me [In reply to] Can't Post

apart from one time. I just wondered if anyone else had.

For me it was kinda weird as i couldnt believe it and as i died i realised it was a dream and it went into rewind almost. And i woke up again and watched the blood going back into me, then i sat up, stood up and as i knew i was dreaming i just flew up into the air and away, haha.

I regularly have dreams where i know i am dreaming. For the most part i can then do what i want, but if i have had a bad day then something will be lurking in the dream pestering me e.g. some zombies or something random like that, but as i know its a dream i can just get rid of them easily but some how i cant stop them from coming back after what seems like a few mins.

the most useful dream i have had was when i was revising for some exams. I was stressed out and was looking at the pages of this text book for hours but nothing was going in and i felt like i had learnt nothing. Then in my dream i dreamt i was revising (how dull!) but i could read the pages and basically i revised in my dreams and when i woke up i knew lots of the info i needed to and i was amazed! Somehow my mind must have remembered the pages and pages of content like lots of photographs. Wish i could do it more often, would be really handy!

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 5 2013, 1:37am

Post #47 of 50 (81 views)
Shortcut
I had a dream like that once... [In reply to] Can't Post

One time in college, after spending hours and hours on a quantum mechanics problem set, I solved the one problem I could not figure out in a dream. And when I woke up, I remembered and could write down the solution (and it was correct). Alas, it was a once in a lifetime event, apparently!

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 5 2013, 2:07am

Post #48 of 50 (82 views)
Shortcut
Thanks sil!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

You know that dream could explain your pink bathing suit episode Wink *hugs*

In seriousness though, your dream seems to be saying, just be yourself and embrace life, which you do SmileHeart

Oh no one was peeking I've just read your reply lots and lots of times AngelicLaugh

*there ya go people, got you out of trouble Laugh*

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 5 2013, 2:28am

Post #49 of 50 (81 views)
Shortcut
Snert;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Heart

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 5 2013, 3:44am

Post #50 of 50 (271 views)
Shortcut
No, not peeking, not peeking at all! [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.