The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
The Hobbit/Thorin - Pencil Study

jayski
The Shire

Feb 2 2013, 2:21pm

Post #1 of 9 (2436 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit/Thorin - Pencil Study Can't Post

Sneak Peek. Work in progress. Final Part of a series i’m working on. ( 4 in the series ) Pencil Study of the Hobbit. Black and White Prismacolor Pencils. Now i’m happy with the portrait side of these illustrations, I’m now off to finish these. Hope youve enjoyed seeing them in the early stages. Let me know if you want to see the final series of images. Jase

http://jasonbrian007.deviantart.com/#/d5tk8d4

Angharad73
Rohan

Feb 2 2013, 10:08pm

Post #2 of 9 (1854 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Please, I'd love to see the images!

These are amazing! How do you do that?

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2013, 4:21am

Post #3 of 9 (1521 views)
Shortcut
pencils [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that MiTientes paper?

I've worked on colored "charcoal" paper and MiTientes paper, and it's a really effective technique (the paper provides the middle ground, and you use lighter and darker pencils).

This is just awesome professional level stuff.

Go outside and play...

jayski
The Shire

Feb 4 2013, 8:20am

Post #4 of 9 (1506 views)
Shortcut
Thank You! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to say its some amazing stock paper but the reality is it's Atlantic Grey stock paper which I found at the local stationery suppliers. It was the colour I wanted. Glad you like it.

jayski
The Shire

Feb 4 2013, 8:23am

Post #5 of 9 (1508 views)
Shortcut
Thank You! [In reply to] Can't Post

As Swordwhale has mentioned, it's a technique where by your eye fills in the details. You focus on the darks and the lights/highlights and the tone of the grey fills in the missing details. Glad you like it.

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 7 2013, 4:38pm

Post #6 of 9 (1516 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Very nice work. Interesting too how you utilize the edge, going beyond the frame line in a few areas - it enhances the depth and really makes it reach out at you.

Beautiful work! *applauds* :-).

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 11:47am

Post #7 of 9 (1583 views)
Shortcut
amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh to have that talent. Those are wonderful Jase.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

jayski
The Shire

Mar 25 2013, 5:11pm

Post #8 of 9 (1477 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Than you!

jayski
The Shire

Mar 25 2013, 5:14pm

Post #9 of 9 (1717 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats really very kind of you, thank you for saying that, jase

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.