Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
OWN IT MARCH 19!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Silmaril
Lorien

Jan 31 2013, 9:23am

Post #1 of 59 (1676 views)
Shortcut
OWN IT MARCH 19! Can't Post

http://www.thehobbit.com/

scroll down! so this should be thoe official release date of the dvd and blu ray!

smokerings
Rivendell

Jan 31 2013, 12:45pm

Post #2 of 59 (704 views)
Shortcut
Will own... [In reply to] Can't Post

...on Mach 19th. Thanks for the post.

(This post was edited by smokerings on Jan 31 2013, 12:46pm)

Silmaril
Lorien

Jan 31 2013, 12:59pm

Post #3 of 59 (664 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

i hope there will be more official information about the different editions (artwork, bonus) too!

SķlimŽ
Rivendell

Jan 31 2013, 1:28pm

Post #4 of 59 (650 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

it's funny how with the Lord of the Rings DVDs ten years ago I still had to ask for money from my parents. It's nice to have my own money now Tongue

Verbal_Daggers
The Shire

Jan 31 2013, 2:32pm

Post #5 of 59 (626 views)
Shortcut
so soon :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow that is quite soon :D Not that I am complaining, though!

TFP
Rivendell

Jan 31 2013, 4:09pm

Post #6 of 59 (586 views)
Shortcut
Special editions etc [In reply to] Can't Post

Does anyone know if, as with LOTR fims, they're planning to release a basic edition quickly and then a further cash-in with extras added in due course?

Grant
The Shire

Jan 31 2013, 4:20pm

Post #7 of 59 (549 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

An extended edition is pretty much confirmed. Hopefully they'll keep the pattern of having promotional material as ext rats on the theatrical and more detailed documentary extras on the EE.

julia0925
The Shire

Jan 31 2013, 5:42pm

Post #8 of 59 (516 views)
Shortcut
A possible explanation [In reply to] Can't Post

It's my understanding that movie companies have to wait until a movie has been released all around the world before they can release the DVD (it cuts into their profits otherwise). Since AUJ was released virtually everywhere at nearly the same time, this means that they can release the theatrical version much sooner. While I will be getting the EE when it's available, I'm simply not going to wait that long to see this again, so I'll be getting this release as well as any others they care to put out. I"m such a sucker...

-----
Lotr: You know it's been a bad day when even the elf is smudged.
TH: when the going gets tough, the tough call the eagles.

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 31 2013, 5:48pm

Post #9 of 59 (471 views)
Shortcut
Yup... [In reply to] Can't Post

I might as well wear a shirt that says "TAKE MY MONEY NOW!!" I would normally wait for the EE, but I really want to see this again before then...so yes, we will be buying it twice ^^

TFP
Rivendell

Jan 31 2013, 5:50pm

Post #10 of 59 (504 views)
Shortcut
EE [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's my understanding that movie companies have to wait until a movie has been released all around the world before they can release the DVD (it cuts into their profits otherwise). Since AUJ was released virtually everywhere at nearly the same time, this means that they can release the theatrical version much sooner. While I will be getting the EE when it's available, I'm simply not going to wait that long to see this again, so I'll be getting this release as well as any others they care to put out. I"m such a sucker...

sorry, very old arguments, but i won't ever buy an EE, just on principle.

i'll be first in the queue [or thereabouts] to see the film, & always buy the DVD very shortly after release, but the EE is just an unacceptable rip-off to me.

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jan 31 2013, 6:26pm

Post #11 of 59 (448 views)
Shortcut
Well thank God... [In reply to] Can't Post

At least Warner isn't stuck in the same idiotic mindset as HBO (or Disney's vault). :)

The Hobbit nearly beat GoT's season 2 discs.

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

Verbal_Daggers
The Shire

Jan 31 2013, 6:50pm

Post #12 of 59 (425 views)
Shortcut
Sounds reasonable ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I will also be getting both versions - the theatrical release as well as the EE - for the exact same reason .. I just don't want to wait for the EE. Although I have already considered just to rent the theatrical version once it's released for a weekend but I guess that's not that much cheaper anyway and I just know that I want it as soon as it's available! :) And for that release I am also getting a blu ray player (it's about time =))

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2013, 7:08pm

Post #13 of 59 (427 views)
Shortcut
It could also be considered a matter of perspective. [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed, I readily acknowledge that there have been several instances of studios re-packaging a movie and barely changing anything about the release to make money off of a title. And then notoriously they release another version following that, which inevitably includes more features that - some people feel - should have already been included.

At one time, this could have been considered taking advantage of fans. To me, that would have been before the internet existed.

What you consider to be an unacceptable rip off (extended editions) has provided a lot of joy for other people. In addition, there are basic economic principals that are followed... good economics that good businesses follow, that have nothing to do with just the often used cliche of a cash grab.

Studios are offering fans options or tiers if you will. Some people don't care about special features, extended scenes... in essence they just want the movie they saw in theaters.

But there are also plenty of people who enjoy the extended editions, director's cuts, and all of the additional materials as well. They like the "deep dive" if you will. To include those, they ask a different price point for a different experience. That's not unreasonable. You pay more for more. There are plenty of other industries that use that model and people understand it there. Why not the movie industry?

The argument that is old and tiring to me (mostly because it is uninformed yet still authoritatively stated) is that studios should just put both editions on the same disc and avoid the greedy cash grab. Well sometimes they do. And sometimes they don't.

1. This train of thought assumes everybody wants the same content AND is willing to pay for it.

2. It also assumes that you can fit all of that content onto 1 or a minimal amount of discs. (The more discs, the bigger the packaging, the more expensive to distribute). Since PJs Middle Earth movies are on average almost 3 hours per movie (for the theatrical editions) and they are giving you a transfer as close to the DCP you saw in theatre as possible, then adding in all the extra features that are now standard, there isn't a whole lot of room left over after that... even for BluRays. Again, they can add more discs (thus bigger and different packaging) but that costs more to produce which ultimately trickles down to the consumer.

So if they have a market for both, why not create appropriate amounts for both and sell them to both? If people want it and buy it, then that is just following supply and demand.

But even after thinking through all of that...

No one makes people buy all of these editions. Fans have plenty of resources to find out about BluRay/DVD releases, what features they will offer and how much they will cost, well in advance of their release dates via the internet... I mean that's what we are doing right now.

No one is holding a proverbial "gun to your head" (if you will pardon the colloquialism) to make you purchase all of those options and deplete your bank account... and you do have a choice.

I'm not sure what is unacceptable about that.

My 2 Cents.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 31 2013, 7:31pm

Post #14 of 59 (417 views)
Shortcut
Already posted further down the board [In reply to] Can't Post

right here. Please scan the first page of the board before posting to see if there is an existing thread or subthread for your topic, so that we don't have duplicate threads on the first page.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2013, 7:52pm

Post #15 of 59 (399 views)
Shortcut
Be buying both... [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree. I will be buying the cheapest, most basic DVD I can find in March, and consider that a fair price to have something I can watch while waiting for the EE. and something I don't mind letting the kids (not the world's most careful people...!) use in the DVD player in the back of the car.

And I will buy the EE in BluRay to watch at home and enjoy for years to come.

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 31 2013, 8:09pm

Post #16 of 59 (392 views)
Shortcut
GoT is a little different, though... [In reply to] Can't Post

They aren't getting advertising money or the big bucks from a movie release...HBO is using it as a vehicle to sell subscriptions to their network (and it's a good one, too...we buy it only for that show). After it's released, you can watch any episode whenever you want to using their mobile service, HBOgo (every episode of every show they've ever done is available). If they sold the dvds too soon, no one would buy HBO.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Jan 31 2013, 8:36pm

Post #17 of 59 (386 views)
Shortcut
but the theatrical editions are pointless [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never watched the Theatrical editions of the LOTR trilogy after getting the extended editions. The theatrical editions don't exist as far as I am concerned.

And frankly when it comes to money the EEs are a much better deal with a snappier, classier presentation, MORE awesome scenes and moments and score AND amazing commentaries and hours of insightful behind the scenes footage.

It's because of the extended editions that I'm in the film industry today.

So I guffaw on your shoddy principles. Crazy

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jan 31 2013, 8:43pm

Post #18 of 59 (353 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

They should at least be available for Christmas shopping and holiday viewing.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2013, 8:46pm

Post #19 of 59 (379 views)
Shortcut
How on earth is that even possible?! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that must be very close to the line!

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 31 2013, 8:50pm

Post #20 of 59 (346 views)
Shortcut
It seems to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that HBO releases the DVD set of the previous season at the same time they are gearing up their advertising campaign for the next season (indeed; they just started putting out teasers for Season 3 in the past couple of weeks). They aren't worried about the sale of the dvds as much as they are getting people excited about seeing the next season (and therefore subscribing).

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jan 31 2013, 8:50pm

Post #21 of 59 (359 views)
Shortcut
You're missing out... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
sorry, very old arguments, but i won't ever buy an EE, just on principle.

i'll be first in the queue [or thereabouts] to see the film, & always buy the DVD very shortly after release, but the EE is just an unacceptable rip-off to me.

I mean, the extended version of Kingdom of Heaven is the only one worth watching/owning.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 31 2013, 8:58pm

Post #22 of 59 (338 views)
Shortcut
Me, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't stand the mere six week wait! Worse, we have a 3D TV, so I will probably spring for the 3D Blu-ray, and then have to do it again to get the extra, what, 25 minutes of EE material. Sad, sad, sad.

In Reply To
I might as well wear a shirt that says "TAKE MY MONEY NOW!!" I would normally wait for the EE, but I really want to see this again before then...so yes, we will be buying it twice ^^

hutch
Rohan

Jan 31 2013, 9:00pm

Post #23 of 59 (344 views)
Shortcut
Fightin Piracy [In reply to] Can't Post

When LOTR came out, where I lived down South (in the US) the films were in theaters for 6 months. And they were packed the entire time.

But in 10 years so much has changed. Films barely get 4 weeks to be in theaters and make money. And forget about sleeper hits.

I wish it would stay in theaters longer because I won't have a chance to see HFR until Spring.

Alas...

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

hutch
Rohan

Jan 31 2013, 9:03pm

Post #24 of 59 (351 views)
Shortcut
No they're not [In reply to] Can't Post

I still prefer the the tightness of FOTR's theatrical opening than the EE. And prefer to hear Gandalf telling Frodo about the outside world-which is not in the EEs.

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

nenyacaster
Bree

Jan 31 2013, 9:49pm

Post #25 of 59 (349 views)
Shortcut
the features are important [In reply to] Can't Post

If the theatrical edition has it's own directors commentary track (like there was one for LOTR) then that is worth listening to/watching. The commentary for the LOTR EE' dvds primarily just talked about what they added, and wasn't as interesting as what they had for the theatrical versions.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.