First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Jan 31 2013, 8:11am

Post #1 of 50 (962 views)
Shortcut
Return of the Getting to Know You thread Can't Post

well, sort of, there's really only one question this time aroundSmileLaugh

This came about while I was laying in the bath listening to my iPod and this song by Crowded House came on.

It reminded me of one of the times I was very ill and experienced a very vivid fever dream, it actually had this song playing in it.

It led me to wondering if any of the rest of you have experienced vivid fever dreams whilst ill, that have stayed with you for months or years after.

My most recent one didn't involve any sound, and I'm still not entirely convinced it was a dream, it was just of a tall male figure with dark hair standing in my bedroom doorway, watching me. It was so vivid I actually asked my husband who was visiting us.

So over to all of you SmileHeart

*and that dream was well before The Hobbit came out, so it wasn't Thorin WinkLaughEvil*

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Rolfina
Rivendell

Jan 31 2013, 8:59am

Post #2 of 50 (643 views)
Shortcut
Lucid Dreams [In reply to] Can't Post

Just last week I was ill and in bed (don't think I had a fever though). I was alone in my apartment, and was just dozing but not sleeping. Suddenly I heard footsteps next to my bed and went rigid. Moments later I felt how a huge dog jumped onto the bed, and sniffed my face. I was very scared and didn't dare open my eyes, and I was convinced I wasn't dreaming. After a while I realized the dog was gone, so I got up and walked into the hallway. There was my mother's dog, playing with another dog, and a note from my mom saying she found me sleeping and she would be back later. Suddenly I knew I must be dreaming, because my mom would never just come over like that, and she wouldn't leave her dog, leave alone another dog behind. Usually when I realize I am dreaming and I want to wake up, I am able to wake myself up from this dream. This time however, I tried to wake myself up, I woke up, sat up in my bed, and wanted to take my mask of (it was day so I was wearing my sleep mask), only the mask was glued to my face, and I couldn't get it off. I kept pulling at it, and was able to pull off layer after layer, but never the whole mask. I was able to lift a small edge off of one eye then, and looked out the window, and saw the tree on the other side of the canal. And again I then realized I was still dreaming, because there is no tree there. After that I was finally able to wake myself up, and take my mask off for real.

I usually have very vivid dreams, and now I realize I have neglected my lucid dream training, but this is something that really fascinates me, and that I would love to hone. But I haven't quite figured out how to really manipulate a dream once I know I'm dreaming. Sometimes I feel I have achieved something (like I want to turn around and have "him" standing there, and once or twice he was there), but once I wake up I am unsure whether I have actually manipulated my dream, or if I have merely dreamt that I had manipulated my dream. Very confusing. Sorry for the rambling, I love talking dreams, and you asked for it.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 31 2013, 10:56am

Post #3 of 50 (616 views)
Shortcut
Uhm, you were dreaming of [In reply to] Can't Post

Edward Wink (hihihihhi!!! you see, you do like him!!!).

But back on topic (even when this is Off Topic).

I have a reference to a song I now hate so much because I had it stuck in my mind when I had a very bad stomach flu (K-Ci & JoJo - All my life). I was up an entire night, feeling terrible and I had an exam the next morning that I had to take, because if I failed I had to re-do an entire year of school. And this song just kept on playing in my mind. (so no link, I can't stand to hear it).

And for dreams, I can hardly ever remember dreams and usually they are totally unlogical. I have one I can remember that was so crazy. I was shopping for a wedding dress with my mum. And she kept on coming with those flimsy thin summer dresses, when I was looking for a dress with fur lining, because I was getting married on a ship in the Ice-sea. (I'm not married, I don't have any intentions to get married, I never went wedding dress shopping and I certainly don't have any plans to get married on a ship, let alone in the Ice-sea, so where all this came from, I don't know).
And the other dream isn't so much of a dream but a moment. I'm with friends or family, usually people I know and some I don't, but there is always somebody I do know. And all of a sudden, out of the blue, a huge lightning bolt strikes right next to us. And that being the end of the dream, because I will totally wake up from that dream when lightning strikes.

sherlock
Gondor

Jan 31 2013, 11:14am

Post #4 of 50 (614 views)
Shortcut
I don't have to be sick [In reply to] Can't Post

To have vivid dreams & nightmares-I have them often. My husband died three years ago at home & I often have dreams of him that seem very real although I'm never frightened by them. Once you've watched someone close to you suffer & die things don't scare you much. At least that has been my experience. I love talking about dreams & analyzing them but I have to get myself off to work. Hopefully, I can come back later today to join in the discussion.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 31 2013, 12:54pm

Post #5 of 50 (628 views)
Shortcut
I got violently ill while cabining [In reply to] Can't Post

I had been reading Ender's Game which had this part where the kids are going through this intense, repetitive, training.

The intensity of that training with the obsessiveness of my brain meshed with the illness and I indeed had fever dreams (although I'm not sure I had a fever) that centered on obsessively doing the same thing over and over and over and over again.

I actually often have dreams of this sort. I can remember having an obsessive dream about learning to tie my shoe so that tells you how far back that goes! But those are dreams. Annoying dreams. This evening was elevated in intensity by triple or quadruple fold.

And I was so freaking sick. Up every 10 minutes throwing up. So I'm not even sure if I was dreaming half the time or hallucinating.

I'm not sure if I can watch the movie that's coming out or not.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jan 31 2013, 12:55pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 31 2013, 1:20pm

Post #6 of 50 (621 views)
Shortcut
I worked through the deaths of my dog and my father in dreams [In reply to] Can't Post

Neither experience was as intense as what you went through, I'm sure.

But I was very aware that, what I was unable to do awake... I did sleeping.

For my dog (a dog I had while I was living alone and who died suddenly, unexpectedly, and not entirely pleasantly), he came to me in dreams. First, they told me he was sick and was going to die but it had been a long time but he hadn't and now he was fine. Then, he was sick and supposed to die but it had been a long time and I wasn't sure if he would. Then he was sick and dying. Then he had died but then he came back and was fine. Finally, I dreamt he came to me and looked up at me. I looked down at him and said... "Ashley, you're dead." and he never came back.

I did the same thing with my Dad. Those dreams were similar in that they had the same degrees of 'dead': supposed to be dead but not... supposed to be dead but not yet.... dead but not dead - this was not creepy in any way at all... it was more they had gotten another try at life. Like recharging a battery. But in my dad-dream, he was there but no one would acknowledge him. It was as if he was invisible to them. I would get real mad and yell at them, "He's not dead. He's right here. Pay attention to him." Finally, there was extended family at a picnic (there was always extended family with my Dad's side) and everyone was ignoring him and I just sat down next to him and said, 'Dad, you're dead'. And he never came back in my dreams.

In both cases. I don't think I needed to inform them of something they didn't know. I needed to accept it. They were fine with being dead but they were waiting for me to be fine with it and they were giving me a little more time till I got fine with it.

On my Dad's side of the family, there is some experience with talking with the dead. My grandmother and aunt both had experiences seeing family members after they died. I didn't see my dreams as that at all, though. I was very aware they were dreams and that they were driven by my psyche.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Jan 31 2013, 1:47pm

Post #7 of 50 (599 views)
Shortcut
Comic-book induced dreams [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't really have a fever, but I was ill. I had recently discovered The Walking Dead comics, and had been reading them all day. I was so paranoid about zombies that night I checked every nook and cranny in the house, and made sure nothing was behind me. I fell asleep on the couch, and had an extremely vivid and disturbing dream. The problem was that it was a dream within a dream. So when I finally woke up, I thought that I was still in a walker-infested world. My heart rate was rapid and I checked outside to make sure the people were walking normally. Luckily they were.

Needless to say, I've been avoiding reading/watching something for too long at one time.

Þæs ofereode, þisses swa mæg - that has passed, so may this.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 31 2013, 3:30pm

Post #8 of 50 (615 views)
Shortcut
measles [In reply to] Can't Post

I had the measles when I was 8 (before the vaccine), and it was the worst illness I've ever had. Not only was I ill for three weeks but I developed a strep infection and an ear infection so bad one of my eardrums burst. One night my fever was so high I became delirious and hallucinated or dreamed that my father was coming down the hallway to my bedroom while the hallway tipped from side to side, and he was carrying a bunch of thorny branches like you would a bouquet of flowers. It was so vivid, I've never forgotten it.

I often dream that people are in the room with me; I wake up because I either sit up or put my hand out to touch them.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Immortal

Jan 31 2013, 3:41pm

Post #9 of 50 (594 views)
Shortcut
there are a lot of resources out there on lucid dreaming [In reply to] Can't Post

both books & online stuff.

I taught myself to dream lucidly in college & still do it. As part of that I taught myself how to fly in dreams so that I could fly at will and soar without effort. I still remember one dream where I was flying along the coast about 50 feet up and just kept going and going. Another time I dreamt I was being chased by a T. Rex, and reasoned in the dream that the Ice Age killed the dinosaurs, so ran onto a glacier and got away. But mostly I use the ability to change dreams in the direction I prefer.

I'm fascinated by the subject too. My favorite book on dreamwork in general (not lucid dreaming) is The Dream and the Underworld by James Hillman.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Kassandros
Rohan

Jan 31 2013, 4:02pm

Post #10 of 50 (590 views)
Shortcut
Only under the influence of meds [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember a dream I had when I had to take codeine as a teenager. It was long, vivid, and strange. I probably remember it as well as I do because I had to write about a dream I had for a class back then, so it stuck.

It involved meeting Jesus on an ivy-covered tennis court, walking with the "silly club", and seeing that the Beatles got back together on TV - complete with John somehow. This was actually just a year before the Beatles Anthology reunion where ya had the first new Beatles songs in years. So kind of prophetic.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 31 2013, 4:12pm

Post #11 of 50 (588 views)
Shortcut
I had a similar experience [In reply to] Can't Post

after my father passed away 30 years ago. I dreamed I was walking with Dad, and I kept looking at him, and finally asked him "you are dead, right?" He answered, yes, and that was OK, and we walked together until I woke up.

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 31 2013, 4:19pm

Post #12 of 50 (592 views)
Shortcut
Television dreams [In reply to] Can't Post

The weirdest dream I ever had was from a TV show, I dreamed I was on Gilligan's Island (LOL!) and eating chocolate pudding.

Once I dreamed I was an officer on the Enterprise, (TNG).

And once I dreamed I was a pro basketball player (being a 5'4" tall female, it was rather bizarre :)

My favorite dreams though were when I dreamed I was birds. Once a hawk, flying up and landing on a cliff. Another time I was a great blue heron, flying over a swamp; and the third I was a raven flying over a nearby Indian reservation.

None of these dreams were fever or medication induced. Just my crazy imagination.

Fun thread, thanks!

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 31 2013, 7:20pm

Post #13 of 50 (589 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen that video in *years*. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that song - thanks Kel. :)

Until I was five and had my tonsils out I used to get high fevers and be delirious. The only one I remember was when I tried to sleep but whenever I closed my eyes I felt like I was made out of sticks.

About your tall, dark stranger, he might be the result of hypnagogia. After a quick and dirty Google search I see that it usually involves sounds and visual phenomena like speckles - and also those horrible falling sensations where you jerk awake - but it can also generate lucid hallucinations. I've had those hallucinations twice: The first one scared the living heck out of me when I saw a woman standing beside my bed, but she was rotating horizontally so quickly that she was blurring. In second one, there were two other people in the bed with me.

I'd be quite happy to leave my hypnagogia dream tally at two.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 31 2013, 7:23pm

Post #14 of 50 (594 views)
Shortcut
I really hate [In reply to] Can't Post

trying to wake up and not being able to.

There's an episode of House where one of his assistants has to decide whether or not he is locked in a dream state. To get out of it, he has to kill himself - but if he's not dreaming then 'killing' himself will be lethal for real. I was very uncomfortable watching that episode.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 31 2013, 7:29pm

Post #15 of 50 (583 views)
Shortcut
One time I had a reaction to codeine [In reply to] Can't Post

and was taken home to sleep it off - and promptly dreamed of purple elephants!

Ataahua's stories

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 31 2013, 8:11pm

Post #16 of 50 (586 views)
Shortcut
I used to have dreams... [In reply to] Can't Post

where I would wake but not be able to move.

I was in bed next to my husband but I literally couldn't move. These always came after having a really bad nightmare.

I'm still not sure if I thought I was awake lying next to my husband but I was really dreaming. Or if I really was awake and I could not move.

I kind of think I was awake but woke abruptly during a stage of sleep where the body is paralyzed and I needed to let my body catch up with my mind's wakefulness. But I don't know if that's even possible.

But I can tell you, waking from a terrifying dream and not being able to move seemed worse than not being able to wake up. I can always tell when I'm dreaming. I may not like the dream and I feel every emotion as strongly as if the situation was real but I know I'm dreaming.

To be awake, terrified, and powerless was awful.

Thankfully, this period of terrifying dreams ended after a number of years. I still have occasionally scary or bad dreams but not as terrifying as those.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 31 2013, 8:14pm

Post #17 of 50 (586 views)
Shortcut
I've been keeping a dream diary for 45 years. [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of my dreams are interesting to me, but maybe not to anyone else, though I did have a spate of LotR dreams in the years 2001-2004. It might be a measure of something that I had a dream about "The Lizzie Bennet Diaries" the other night.

But occasionally I have a lucid dream, and it's amazing. Usually they take place in a very natural everyday setting. For example, once I dreamed I was attending an outdoor concert in town. I ran across an old friend I knew was really dead. My brain fought for a while with the realization that I must be dreaming. "But this all looks so real!" I argued with myself.

Another time I started dreaming before I really fell asleep and knew I was dreaming from the moment it began. I dreamed I got out of bed and went for a drive. I was looking up at the mountains and thinking "I'm really doing a good job with the visuals in this dream. I've got all the details of those peaks right." It was like being in a virtual-reality game and being amazed at the realism of it.

Another time I dreamed I stood in the corner of my room and suspected I might be dreaming. I tested it by trying to float up to the ceiling. When I succeeded, I knew I was indeed dreaming. That happens pretty frequently.

And I often have what I call flash dreams, where I'm not quite asleep and suddenly have a vivid dream that lasts less than a second but is filled with detail. Once I saw a square in eastern Europe with a statue and a cannon and a palace and lots of people, and every detail was clear and sharp. Another time it was a painting of Noah's Ark, and I could see hundreds of animals in exquisite detail, but only for a flash. Another time it was a stained-glass window in a cathedral, with intricate stonework and colors. I always love those. What an amazing thing the brain is!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 31 2013, 8:20pm

Post #18 of 50 (579 views)
Shortcut
Thank goodness that has stopped. [In reply to] Can't Post

The idea of being paralysed after a nightmare gives me the chills.

Ataahua's stories

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 31 2013, 10:54pm

Post #19 of 50 (592 views)
Shortcut
No fever dreams Kel:)\\ [In reply to] Can't Post

Nienna
Rohan

Feb 1 2013, 2:55am

Post #20 of 50 (585 views)
Shortcut
Yes, a guy chasing me with an axe! [In reply to] Can't Post

Once when I was a young teenager I was ill and had a stage where I was delirious.

A guy dressed in black was chasing me in the dark waving an axe and trying to bring it down on me as I ran frantically away from him. It was terrifying and I've never lost that sense of terror and helplessness.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 1 2013, 4:32am

Post #21 of 50 (583 views)
Shortcut
I've had hypnagogia twice too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Once I'd seen some TV show about Jack the Ripper, and that night I saw him walking down the hall toward the bed. Luckily I'd read a Psychology Today article about hypnagogia and figured out what I was seeing. It was still really creepy, though.

The other time was when I had climbed a really grueling mountain. We were coming down after being on the trail for about 16 hours, and I saw our son sitting on a rock beside the trail. (He was three at the time, and being babysat by my mom.) As I watched, he disappeared.

I think the flash dreams I related in my post below might be a kind of hypnagogia.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2013, 7:22am

Post #22 of 50 (558 views)
Shortcut
Usually have very vivid dreams, but can't remember any fever induced dream [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always had crazy, complex, detailed, vivid dreams though I usually forget them soon after waking. Once when I was a teenager living with my mom in Samoa, I had a dream that made me scream so loudly I woke the whole village where we were living. (They have fales there - thatch-roofed with no walls - so sound really travels) I woke to hear my mom and step-dad rushing toward me panic stricken asking what had happened. I really had no idea what they were talking about. I tried to answer, but my throat was raw from screaming and my heart was racing. It was then that I saw lanterns (no electricity in the village at the time) being lit all around in the neighboring fales and heard people calling out to my step-dad to find out what was going on. BlushTongue I just thank goodness that I didn't remember the dream.

The last few years, I've been on anti-seizure medication which turns the vividness of my dreams up to 11. Laugh I often wake up laughing - or at least snerting - gasping with surprise, screaming with anger*, tearing up with either sadness or joy... I sometimes wake up thinking, "Whoa! That was deep." I definitely seem to work through issues and emotions in my dreams; I just don't remember them for very long upon waking.

*Actually, I don't scream aloud, but I'm panting from the exertion of screaming in the dream. Crazy

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

(This post was edited by zarabia on Feb 1 2013, 7:28am)

Rolfina
Rivendell

Feb 1 2013, 7:49am

Post #23 of 50 (557 views)
Shortcut
flying in dreams [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to do that a lot when I was a child. One of the few experiences recently where I was lucid dreaming, I actually managed to fly, I ended up in a space like scenario with colorful stars and galaxies around me, it was awesome. How did you teach yourself to dream lucidly? I am going by checking time, or anything written in a dream now. For a while when I was awake I would double check everything to confirm that I was awake, and when I dream I notice that the time on my mobile changes from one moment to the next, or a letter or menu changes, and then I know I'm dreaming. And usually get so excited by the prospect of being able to take control, that I wake up shortly after. Mad

Rolfina
Rivendell

Feb 1 2013, 7:52am

Post #24 of 50 (556 views)
Shortcut
same experience [In reply to] Can't Post

I was twenty when that first happened to me, and it was very very scary to me at the time. I was lying on my side and looking at the wall and couldn't move. For days after that, I avoided sleeping on that side. But then it happened more often, and I learned that the more I tried to fight it (you try to move and it feels like you're moving, but nothing... moves), the scarier it would get. So I taught myself to endure the paralysis and just wait for it to pass. Luckily that has faded out somewhat, I hardly have this anymore. To this day I am not sure whether it was a dream experience, or actual consciousness with paralysis. I tend to believe it's the former though, because the dog and sleep mask dream felt a lot the same.

Rolfina
Rivendell

Feb 1 2013, 8:01am

Post #25 of 50 (590 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit dream [In reply to] Can't Post

and since we're on the topic, I want to share a funny dream I had, this was before AUJ came out. I was in some large building, not Middle Earthy, more like a library without furniture, or an old gymnasium. I was there to apply to join the company of dwarves, and when I opened the grand door to the hall where everyone was waiting to audition I guess, I actually bowed and said "Rolfina, at your service". I said Rolfina, and not my real name, because in my dream I felt it was a more appropriate dwarven name. There were lots of other dwarves in the room, and I looked around for familiar faces, and to find Thorin (strictly business!), and suddenly I realized they would be able to tell right away that I don't belong here, because I don't have a beard. So I tied my scarf around my chin. And then Fili came and told me I was in, and showed me my name on a list, but it wasn't Rolfina, it was a new name. I said "yup, that's me". Unfortunately I don't remember the name now, although I did remember it after I woke up, and it wasn't anything from the book or any other Tolkien book or other. A completely made up new name. Well that was all there was to that dream unfortunately, but it gave me a good laugh after I woke up that morning.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.