Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
DOS: No 3D, No HFR; a new format entirely!

cartermoulton
Bree

Jan 31 2013, 4:07am

Post #1 of 10 (1191 views)
Shortcut
DOS: No 3D, No HFR; a new format entirely! Can't Post

For those of you in London, you should write to Future Cinema and have them do a Hobbit-themed cinematic experience. Have you heard of Future Cinema?

Basically you pay 40 bucks to enter a reconstructed setting from the film (in this case maybe Mirkwood or Laketown). They have 100-some-odd actors and professional designers/etc. They ask event-goers to dress up (hobbits/dwarves/elves, etc.) so as to blend in with the hired actors. They have movie-related events/meals/games and places for you to explore/missions for you to do; and it all concludes with a screening of the film (DOS).

Their idea is to immerse audiences not through technology but through set-design/role-playing/atmosphere before (and sometimes very subtlely during) the film. I would love to see a Hobbit/LOTR-themed one! Right now they're doing The Shawshank Redemption, and they do really cool things (like in the middle of the film when Andy is rewarded a beer, "prison guards" walk around and give everyone in the audience a beer!)

Here's my blog post about it. Has anyone gone to one of these?

cineaesthetic, a high-res media blog

(This post was edited by cartermoulton on Jan 31 2013, 4:09am)

demanon
Rivendell

Jan 31 2013, 4:18am

Post #2 of 10 (436 views)
Shortcut
WOW!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish they had something like this in the U.S. Its incredable

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2013, 6:12am

Post #3 of 10 (403 views)
Shortcut
DOS Format [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer to not format my DOS disks so that I don't lose the data.

Súlimë
Rivendell

Jan 31 2013, 6:39am

Post #4 of 10 (361 views)
Shortcut
Sounds great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I'd prefer something like this for subsequent viewings, and would like the first time to be something a bit more traditional (HFR 3D is traditional enough for me :P)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 31 2013, 9:27am

Post #5 of 10 (315 views)
Shortcut
I think I'd find that very distracting... [In reply to] Can't Post

... if it was a film I really wanted to see. Too many things to take the mind off what happens on the sceen; supposing the games/role play/whatever was not very good, or it didn't reflect The Hobbit as well as the person who devised it thought it did, or there was someone really annoying among fellow audience members? And with a film that lasts almost three hours in itself, doesn't that make for a very long evening?

I love the theatre and the cinema, each in its own way, but I can't imagine how combining them would improve either. I think I'd rather just lose myself in the film than have a load of people in costume skipping around trying to help me do it!

deskp
Lorien

Jan 31 2013, 9:59am

Post #6 of 10 (301 views)
Shortcut
eh [In reply to] Can't Post

To me this just sounds awkward Laugh

imin
Valinor

Jan 31 2013, 11:01am

Post #7 of 10 (272 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like fun [In reply to] Can't Post

Though i would want to have seen the film prior to going there so i can take everything in and not worry about missing some part of the film.

I think if done well it could be a way to make it more immersive and more immediate than a film by itself.

I read somewhere (think it was on Click on BBC) that they have the technology now to put TV on flexible screens so could have a screen that goes right around you like a dome/tent to make you feel like you are right there in the movie - have tested it out for military training and apparently it works incredibly well in giving the person a sense of really being there.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 31 2013, 11:06am

Post #8 of 10 (273 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I wouldn't like it with a new movie, one I haven't seen before. I would love it with a movie I have seen so many times.

I went here in The Netherlands to the sing-a-long Sound of Music. Everybody is also encouraged to come dressed up (loads of dirndls, nuns, and favourite things). And you get a goody bag with some silly things you have to use during the movie. For instance: when you see a mountain, you sigh in a very loud voice "mountains", when you see Rolf, you blow on a whistle, there is a dance for Do-Re-Mi, when you see the bad guys you shine with a flash light in their eyes, so they don't see the family. Oh, and of course you have to sing all the songs (and if you like even say out loud all the lines)
It is really fun to do, especially since everybody who is there knows the movie so very well.

But this is in a normal theater, not a special set.

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 31 2013, 12:59pm

Post #9 of 10 (255 views)
Shortcut
Here in the states... [In reply to] Can't Post

Many people do "sing-a-longs" with the Rocky Horror Picture Show at midnight showings...you can imagine how they dress ;) I'm too shy to ever do it, but a friend of mine did...definitely couldn't show the pictures, though XD

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2013, 3:22pm

Post #10 of 10 (309 views)
Shortcut
This will never get old... right? [In reply to] Can't Post

I should prepare myself for many bad puns about DoS... Wink

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.