Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
box office update

Welsh hero
Gondor

Jan 30 2013, 8:38pm

Post #1 of 22 (1333 views)
Shortcut
box office update Can't Post

Hobbit now at

$940,131,138 word wide, and as such 19th world wide ever.

$293,831,138 domestic, which means it is possible to hit 3 mil domestic

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jan 30 2013, 8:44pm)

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 30 2013, 10:01pm

Post #2 of 22 (549 views)
Shortcut
Still waiting on my profit-sharing check // [In reply to] Can't Post

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 11:15pm

Post #3 of 22 (576 views)
Shortcut
It'll be tough for it to crack 300 [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think it MIGHT slug to it by the end of February. It only just cracks 1 million on weekends now, and it'll probably continue to drop since everyone in the U.S has seen it numerous times.

I've only seen it once in theaters. I don't wanna wear out my viewing of it, since I kinda wanna go in again fresh when the DVD comes out March 19th.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 30 2013, 11:21pm

Post #4 of 22 (572 views)
Shortcut
WHAT?!! [In reply to] Can't Post

ONCE!!!!

Guards! Seize him!!! Take him away to dark theaters full of snakes!!!

(kiddin')

(This post was edited by Rostron2 on Jan 30 2013, 11:21pm)

Steven Van der Berg
Rivendell

Jan 31 2013, 2:07am

Post #5 of 22 (481 views)
Shortcut
I think by this weekend we will be able to determine whether 300 M will be a lock or not. [In reply to] Can't Post

Kong from this time in its' run, until it was pulled on day 114, made about 5 million more. If AUJ made no more than it, it would break 299 million. So far, even in these later days of its' run, AUJ has been tracking more, today making twice what Kong did on the same weekday of the same week.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=vs-lotr.htm

I think it will break around 301- 302, if it stays the same number of days.

(This post was edited by Steven Van der Berg on Jan 31 2013, 2:08am)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2013, 3:34am

Post #6 of 22 (410 views)
Shortcut
Cool! Thanks for the update... [In reply to] Can't Post

If March 19th is truly the BluRay release date, I'm guessing The Hobbit AUJ has a couple more weeks in a theaters, if that. If it's to hit $300 Million US Domestic... then it will have to really pick up in performance.

I think China is it's best bet to break the $1 Billion mark for a worldwide alltime total.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 31 2013, 5:07am

Post #7 of 22 (408 views)
Shortcut
The recent glut of R-rated movies... [In reply to] Can't Post

...might help it a bit. I read that 9 out of the 11 movies released this month were R-rated, and has caused a dip in attendance.

imin
Valinor

Jan 31 2013, 1:46pm

Post #8 of 22 (314 views)
Shortcut
Taking its sweet time :P [In reply to] Can't Post

It will break the $1 billion mark when China gets to add its BO takings later in Feb. Loads of films appear to be just above the 1 billion mark so could move up a fair few places depending on just how many millions over the billion mark it gets.

I also think it will just about make it over $300 million in USA which seems to be a similar bench mark to $1 billion going from things said on TORn.

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 31 2013, 2:01pm

Post #9 of 22 (304 views)
Shortcut
What about Macedonia???! [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ premiers there today! Expect 100 million +! Cool

Jokes aside, China is indeed the most important country left, and I really hope it will do OK over there.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

imin
Valinor

Jan 31 2013, 2:08pm

Post #10 of 22 (302 views)
Shortcut
I think it will do good [In reply to] Can't Post

Most people predict it to make at least $60 million there which would be enough for it to get over $1 billion with a few mil to spare.

Would be great if Tolkien fandom spread to that part of the world on a large scale, would make $1 billion for DoS much easier if that were the case!

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 31 2013, 2:13pm

Post #11 of 22 (297 views)
Shortcut
even 50million~ would be OK // [In reply to] Can't Post

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2013, 2:27pm

Post #12 of 22 (312 views)
Shortcut
Other than China, [In reply to] Can't Post

are there any other countries/territories The Hobbit has yet to open?

mcmojo
The Shire

Jan 31 2013, 3:23pm

Post #13 of 22 (287 views)
Shortcut
I think you might be under-selling it a bit. [In reply to] Can't Post

It did $3.385 million this past weekend. I would imagine it will do another $1.5 million at least this coming weekend - February 1-3. It should be at $296 million by the end of the weekend. I'm guessing it will be closer to $297 million by the end of the weekend though. Then, it just needs to pull in another $1 million during the next couple of Monday through Thursday's and add another $2 million in the next few weekends. That won't be hard at all.

I've seen it 3 times and I plan on taking my boys to see it one more time before the Blu Ray comes out.

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 31 2013, 4:42pm

Post #14 of 22 (246 views)
Shortcut
Nope, apart from Macedonia that opens today // [In reply to] Can't Post

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2013, 8:10pm

Post #15 of 22 (238 views)
Shortcut
It's changed slightly... [In reply to] Can't Post

Domestic: $294,051,480
Foreign: $646,300,000
Worldwide: $940,351,480

Should make getting to 300m. happen a little sooner.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Jan 31 2013, 8:12pm)

Steven Van der Berg
Rivendell

Jan 31 2013, 8:35pm

Post #16 of 22 (194 views)
Shortcut
I noticed while looking at the possibility of getting tickets for a UK viewing in February, [In reply to] Can't Post

that I couldn't find ticket availability tracking data in the main-line cinemas after about the 18th. I haven't checked for a few days, however.. (Wanted to see it one more time with friends that lived there.) Still saw a few screenings in smaller venues until at least the end of the month, though. So, your hunch may be right, if that scenario plays out, there might be a large pull a month before the DVD release. Feels rather early, though.

(This post was edited by Steven Van der Berg on Jan 31 2013, 8:37pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 1 2013, 12:23am

Post #17 of 22 (146 views)
Shortcut
Amen! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lol. For all the promotional work I have done. lol

In Reply To

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 1 2013, 12:29am

Post #18 of 22 (146 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. It has pretty safe sailing until March. Unless The Sorcerer and White Snake [In reply to] Can't Post

American release is much wider and more successful than anticipated, there really are no fims that are remotely family in nature, nor magical and sweeping, until March arrives with Jack and the Giants, and Oz The Great and Powerful. The thing that was most likely to bite into Hobbit in recent weeks was Hansel and Gretel, and it survived that released better than I expected, likely in part do to what I anticipated would be reduced viewing of that film due to its gruesome content based R rating.

In Reply To
...might help it a bit. I read that 9 out of the 11 movies released this month were R-rated, and has caused a dip in attendance.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 1 2013, 12:31am

Post #19 of 22 (148 views)
Shortcut
Yet will its run be as long? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am looking at other releases from this year in that flux, like Amazing Spiderman, Breaking Dawn and The Lorax etc. I think it should be able to pull 300 million, but it will be a near thing, even as close as it is. . I am cautiously optimistic. It will essentially have the whole of February to make between 4 and 5 million dollars.

In Reply To
Kong from this time in its' run, until it was pulled on day 114, made about 5 million more. If AUJ made no more than it, it would break 299 million. So far, even in these later days of its' run, AUJ has been tracking more, today making twice what Kong did on the same weekday of the same week.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=vs-lotr.htm

I think it will break around 301- 302, if it stays the same number of days.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 1 2013, 12:33am

Post #20 of 22 (143 views)
Shortcut
Actually, it has been doing well over a million every weekend. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it may only do 1 to 2 million this weekend, but the Friday through Sunday haul last week was nearly 3 million point 5.

In Reply To
But I think it MIGHT slug to it by the end of February. It only just cracks 1 million on weekends now, and it'll probably continue to drop since everyone in the U.S has seen it numerous times.

I've only seen it once in theaters. I don't wanna wear out my viewing of it, since I kinda wanna go in again fresh when the DVD comes out March 19th.

Steven Van der Berg
Rivendell

Feb 2 2013, 8:22pm

Post #21 of 22 (99 views)
Shortcut
It might possibly crack $1M USD on Saturday, for the last time. *sniff* [In reply to] Can't Post

Edging just over 296 by Sunday.. And there is a slight possibility that the international cume might break the 950M level by weekend's end or at least get pretty close. That would be a pretty satisfying place for me personally. :)

(This post was edited by Steven Van der Berg on Feb 2 2013, 8:30pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 3 2013, 12:50am

Post #22 of 22 (150 views)
Shortcut
That is my expectation. [In reply to] Can't Post

It held on to a good number of theatres for the weekend in the U.S.A. and that is a good thing, and important. It makes it much more likely to pass 296 million by the end of the weekend, and at this stage, a 4 million dollar haul through the end of its run is much easier to manage than a 5 or 6 million dollar haul. Also, it is running ahead of other relatively well promoted films that were released much later, which boosts it's chances of not being the movie theater chains choose to dump at weeks end.

In Reply To
Edging just over 296 by Sunday.. And there is a slight possibility that the international cume might break the 950M level by weekend's end or at least get pretty close. That would be a pretty satisfying place for me personally. :)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.