Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Photographs observed

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2013, 11:01am

Post #1 of 18 (835 views)
Shortcut
Photographs observed Can't Post

Just seen this on the interweb -

Click here.

Smile

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jan 30 2013, 1:17pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 30 2013, 11:29am

Post #2 of 18 (556 views)
Shortcut
Oh, my! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes indeed, lovely! Heart Thank you!

Do you know what the occasions were, that he was photographed in that 1961 session (was that for a book photo) and the two of them in 1966 (was that one of the interviews)? Which book is he "reading" to Edith?

Nice pic of Rayner! But those Hobbit production pics - what in the world is Gandalf wearing, and why did they dress the Dwarves in Roman armor! Tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2013, 1:48pm

Post #3 of 18 (554 views)
Shortcut
yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

They are fine photos. According to the Scull-Hammond, the first set were taken in 1961. They weren't exactly for any special occassion: what happened was that Pamela Chandler wrote to Allen & Unwin to ask if she could make a series of photographs of authors whom they published. A&U passed the request on to Tolkien, and there we are. Several of the photos taken that day have been used in books - one of my favourites (not shown on the page I linked to, for some reason) is in a book just by my hand, here: 'English and Medieval Studies Presented to JRR Tolkien on the Occassion of his Seventieth Birthday'.

The second series was taken in August 1966 - I'd always assumed they were taken to mark Ronald and Edith's Golden Wedding Anniversary, but no - that was in March. Anyway, they are another fine set.

Tolkien liked Chandler - though he jokingly remarked in a letter to Rayner Unwin: '(she) inflicted such blistering lights on me, and held the poses until I was nearly stunned. So that I felt like a boiled or grilled owl, and think I look rather like one in most of the resulting pictures'.

(Scull & Hammond, Vol.II p.153)

BTW - the book in Tolkien's hand is the 1st Japanese ed. of The Hobbit. (which I don't own a copy of, dagnabbit).

(This post was edited by geordie on Jan 30 2013, 1:51pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 30 2013, 2:19pm

Post #4 of 18 (529 views)
Shortcut
Lovely! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much for sharing them. Wonderful pictures (I will not comment on the few at the end, other than to say that they do not match my personal imagination of characters from The Hobbit, at all).

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 30 2013, 2:51pm

Post #5 of 18 (521 views)
Shortcut
Aren't they lovely? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, the ones of JRRT and Edith - I'm a bit bemused by the last three!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 30 2013, 6:26pm

Post #6 of 18 (508 views)
Shortcut
That's the first time [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen photos of Tolkien smiling. Delightful. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2013, 6:42pm

Post #7 of 18 (501 views)
Shortcut
The Oxford don. Wonderful photos! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, geordie. I'd never seen them. Nice to have so many together with Edith in their garden.

I had to giggle at the 3 or 4 photos of the distinguished professor surrounded by books - with a Toby jug prominently placed on the desk, a bit of whimsey not surprising in the author of The Hobbit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...(container)#Toby_Jug

Toby Jug
A Toby Jug - also sometimes known as a Fillpot (or Philpot) - is a pottery jug in the form of a seated person, or the head of a recognizable person (often an English king). Typically the seated figure is a heavily-set, jovial man holding a mug of beer in one hand and a pipe of tobacco in the other and wearing 18th century attire: a long coat and a tricorn hat.

That sounds just like a hobbit, doesn't it?

images of Toby jugs: http://www.google.co.nz/...biw=1146&bih=663

And the last photo of the dwarves isn't so far off from the leather and metal look we have in AUJ, though the hair has been improved on, IMHO.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2013, 8:01pm

Post #8 of 18 (482 views)
Shortcut
You're all welcome - [In reply to] Can't Post

- as it happens, I have a set of eight postcards with images from these sets of photos - five colour, the rest in black-and-white. Including one with JRR's toby jug. He used it to knock his pipe tobacco into.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 30 2013, 10:04pm

Post #9 of 18 (462 views)
Shortcut
WHAT a surpriZe geordie! [In reply to] Can't Post

Where did they shots come from out of the blue, after all this time of the limited supply of the professor?.

Geez this is great. Amazing. Never saw a picture of Edith let alone the two of them. This a keeper for favorites. It is like gold.

Where did you found them, come to think of it?

NeatSmile, coolestCool

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 30 2013, 10:54pm

Post #10 of 18 (463 views)
Shortcut
#1188404 [In reply to] Can't Post

With the good shot of him and the view out his window, i think that is a young poplar, but is is hard to determine.

#1188384 i thought he was in the midst of a good belly laugh but then there is another shot with the same posture. It reminds me of the stiff family pictures from the 1800's.

I really like #1188404 with the two of them. Great shot.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 30 2013, 11:24pm

Post #11 of 18 (455 views)
Shortcut
Seriously...so many pics [In reply to] Can't Post

Why did these surface? I've never seen them. Did Gollum steal them from a family album and get his revenge on Baggins at last?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 31 2013, 1:18am

Post #12 of 18 (463 views)
Shortcut
Wait a minute - that last picture, the dwarf in the middle... [In reply to] Can't Post

...has a Mohawk hairdo! Shocked

So PJ is not the first to have portrayed dwarves with Mohawks!

Does anyone know what production that was, and when it took place?

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jan 31 2013, 4:28am

Post #13 of 18 (470 views)
Shortcut
Director: Roy Marsden [In reply to] Can't Post

Our favorite Adam Dalgliesh!

The production is apparently this one. I'm amazed it's so recent!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 31 2013, 11:22am

Post #14 of 18 (433 views)
Shortcut
That is recent! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for finding that! If that's the review for the 2001 production, then the photos must be from the earlier 2000 production, as they show Michael Geary as Bilbo and James Earl Adair as Gandalf.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jan 31 2013, 10:38pm

Post #15 of 18 (408 views)
Shortcut
Edith is Beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you see Luthien in her? Heart

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 31 2013, 11:13pm

Post #16 of 18 (409 views)
Shortcut
You know, she is. [In reply to] Can't Post

And she was. I thought i go look and see if i could find a youthful picture. No wonder Tolkien was so taken with her.

Here is a link

geordie
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2013, 1:09pm

Post #17 of 18 (397 views)
Shortcut
Yes, she was. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a great affection for Ronald and Edith; odd in a way, because I never met them. But I have met some of their family; children, grand-children; great-grandchildren. And I very much 'get' an idea of what they were like.

Here's what Ronald wrote to Christopher after Edith's death (from memory) - 'She was, and knew she was, my Luthien... but now the story has gone wrong and I am left, indeed one-handed. And I cannot plead before the inexorable Mandos.'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2013, 6:32pm

Post #18 of 18 (479 views)
Shortcut
*swoon* oh my... [In reply to] Can't Post

Beautiful! They are so beautiful! I'm stunned...

First draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.