Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A Conversation with Smaug The Magnificent. . . should be as thrilling (and more grand) in its way as Riddles in The Dark
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 30 2013, 5:04am

Post #1 of 31 (1002 views)
Shortcut
A Conversation with Smaug The Magnificent. . . should be as thrilling (and more grand) in its way as Riddles in The Dark Can't Post

For one, I hope the psychic through the Ring way that Bilbo hears the spiders is not used for the Smaug communication. The Dragon is savvy, cunning and a master conversationalist, and I would be appalled if the suggestion is made that the only reason Bilbo can communicate with him is because he is wearing the Ring.

That said, if Smaug does speak properly.. . that the scene should be spectacular, and should receive all the time that Gollum received in An Unexpected Journey. Smaug IS magnificent, eloquent, grandiose, and extremely clever (almost brilliant) in his insight, deductions and persuasion. . . he commentary to Bilbo concerning the duplicity and avarice of dwarves is exquisite, and I would be most dissapointed if it does not make it in. The suave and sinister conversation of Smaug should stand out as a great moment in film history, and I hope it is done all the justice it deserves.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 30 2013, 5:21am

Post #2 of 31 (520 views)
Shortcut
Smaug the Smokin! [In reply to] Can't Post

I for one cannot wait to see/hear my favorite dragon played by my favorite actor! I'm giddy with anticipation! And there's still a year to do before we get his Magnificence on screen! BC said he studied Komodo dragons in order to get their mannerisms. I can only imagine! And I'm really curious as to how he is going to converse with Bilbo. I imagine it's a mind-to-mind thing. I would be horrified if he actually moved his lips! (Gahhh! Please, no!) But I have faith that PJ & crew will give us something quite memorable. One way or the other (LOL).

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 30 2013, 5:42am

Post #3 of 31 (502 views)
Shortcut
Not a year. A little over [In reply to] Can't Post

ten months now. Time is moving.

And I hope he doesn't make the movements TOO lizardic. Smaug isn't a lizard, scoffs at the notion. He is very warm blooded for one. lol.

As to the mind thing. . . I don't know. I think it would be awful if people thought the only reason Bilbo could "hear" Smaug was because of the Ring and mind melding.

The Dragons of Middle-Earth talk. Period. And Smaug seemingly LOVES to talk and is fairly fond of the sound of his own voice. In any event, he need not move his lips to speak. Birds manage it well enough, and they don't even have lips.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 6:15am

Post #4 of 31 (513 views)
Shortcut
Like how Bilbo actually wanted to confess everything to Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug is cunning ... playing with Bilbo's mind asking how he expected to get the treasure all the way back home etc, it should be an iconic scene and even make the audience start second guessing the dwarves.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jan 30 2013, 6:33pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 30 2013, 6:24am

Post #5 of 31 (467 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug plays it so mesmerizingly and with near genius. Questions about packaging, shipping, guards on the road, the tolls!!! All these things the naive hobbit never considered, made all the more suspicious in the Hobbit's mind because the dwarves never really mentioned half of them. Smaug is a master mind shagger! And I hope we get every excellent second of it.

In Reply To
Smaug is cunning... playing with Bilbo's mind asking how he expected to get the treasure all the way back home etc, it should be an iconic scene and even make the audience start second guessing the dwarves.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jan 30 2013, 6:36pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Jan 30 2013, 6:51am

Post #6 of 31 (487 views)
Shortcut
THIS! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I think it should be the climax of DoS - as I think the Battle for Dol Guldur will happen at the end of DoS as well, I would really love this intercut between a "battle" (although I think this will not be a conventional battle, rather a man on man battle of our known characters and possibly some animals) and this thrilling conversation.

This already worked nicely with Helm's Deep and Osgiliath - just that Smaug and Erebor are a bit more exciting than the Nazgul and the ruins, I think ;)

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 30 2013, 3:54pm

Post #7 of 31 (330 views)
Shortcut
Good thread -- I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug is a fascinating character, and also shapes Bilbo's experiences like Gollum and the finding of the ring.

In fact, it's another case where Bilbo's education and just plain being a hobbit adds value to the whole experience of talking with Smaug. None of the dwarves could have handled talking with the dragon, and his conversation provided useful information that is put to good use.

Smaug isn't just a furnace with wings, he has good eyesight; great hearing; and an excellent sense of smell. The ring gives Bilbo a little bit of an advantage in being able to talk without being incinerated, but this is also the classic Tolkien dragon. Smaug's predecessor, Glaurung, had a similar tendency to talk a lot.

We could have a whole thread just on dragon origins in M-E.

sycorax82
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 4:01pm

Post #8 of 31 (346 views)
Shortcut
Smaug should speak with his lips, I reckon [In reply to] Can't Post

We should see Benedict Cumberbatch's full performance put across, which includes his mouth movement. Telepathy would make him less of a character.

If the trolls can speak then so can Smaug.

Oleander Took
Rivendell

Jan 30 2013, 4:06pm

Post #9 of 31 (359 views)
Shortcut
I Don't remember if this has been posted but [In reply to] Can't Post

in, i think it is February issue of Empire there is a bit about DoS and this is what Benedict said about Smaug

“We weren’t in the same room together. If Martin had been there, I would have wanted to play off him, but there are size issues. Smaug is bigger than the hobbit – I think I can say that!

This isn’t the riddles scene. It’s slightly different, it’s intricate. Smaug doesn’t engage with the Hobbit the same way as Smeagol does. Smeagol gets drawn in, whereas Smaug is on much more of an ego trip. He likes to feel dominant at all times, and because of what he’s capable of, he is.

You can read the rest here

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 30 2013, 4:19pm

Post #10 of 31 (362 views)
Shortcut
Batch [In reply to] Can't Post

Is a skilled actor. He'll make it work with line delivery regardless of what it looks like. I can already see threads about how some will think it looked bad, and the majority will simply enjoy the scene.

cats16
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2013, 4:23pm

Post #11 of 31 (330 views)
Shortcut
What if... [In reply to] Can't Post

DOS ended with Smaug going to Laketown in a fury, while the dwarves still think he's hanging around. And as well with the battle at Dol Guldor. I always thought that the point when Smaug leaves is a good breaking point. Then TABA would start with him attacking Laketown.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 30 2013, 4:26pm

Post #12 of 31 (313 views)
Shortcut
That's what I think [In reply to] Can't Post

Maximize what we see of the dragon by spreading him across two films. After all, it was the dragon they came to dispose of.

imin
Valinor

Jan 30 2013, 4:36pm

Post #13 of 31 (334 views)
Shortcut
He is a great choice [In reply to] Can't Post

brilliant actor, don't think i have ever seen him in anything where he is bad, really looking forward to his performance.

I think most will like his casting and think it will work. I am as confident about him as i was Martin Freeman for Bilbo, also cant wait to see them both in the next Sherlock series! Smile

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 5:26pm

Post #14 of 31 (307 views)
Shortcut
Well, you know... [In reply to] Can't Post

There's obviously only ONE way to depict a mythological talking fantasy creature...and I'm sure the movie will get it wrong with some people, no matter what.

Arannir
Valinor

Jan 30 2013, 5:31pm

Post #15 of 31 (292 views)
Shortcut
That is what I meant... [In reply to] Can't Post

The conversation the climax... but including Bilbo's flight and the sending of the thrush.

cats16
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2013, 5:53pm

Post #16 of 31 (324 views)
Shortcut
Gotcha. [In reply to] Can't Post

I almost forgot about the thrush! Yeah, definitely.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 30 2013, 6:23pm

Post #17 of 31 (284 views)
Shortcut
well in Florida [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw a sign for an attraction that featured a 'talking alligator'. I bet that's what they'll use Wink

adnan
Rivendell

Jan 30 2013, 6:32pm

Post #18 of 31 (279 views)
Shortcut
You know... [In reply to] Can't Post

I always had a feeling he wont be moving his lips when he talks. It will be more like how Gladriel communicated with Gandalf. I am fine either way to be honest.

Rivendell

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 6:53pm

Post #19 of 31 (261 views)
Shortcut
I ate at a restaurant near Destin... [In reply to] Can't Post

Where they kept baby alligators for the patrons to hold (I have a terrible picture of me doing so somewhere). Its mouth was taped shut, though, so I don't know if it could talk or not ;)

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 30 2013, 6:54pm

Post #20 of 31 (271 views)
Shortcut
I only wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

What Benedict's Mo-Cap will be for if there's no physical lips/mouth action?

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 7:19pm

Post #21 of 31 (269 views)
Shortcut
The lip movement worries me [In reply to] Can't Post

There are other movies where they tried to have talking dragons (Dragonheart, Eragon) and it just didn't work. So either they have some new wonder CGI that will make this better, or it will be a mind meld of some sort. I just want it to be awesome! In fact, it must be awesome! No expectations or anything.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jan 30 2013, 8:25pm

Post #22 of 31 (225 views)
Shortcut
I can't get your link to work... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I did find another feature on that EMPIRE article here

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jan 31 2013, 12:38am

Post #23 of 31 (215 views)
Shortcut
Smaug's lips [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe they will have him in the shadows somewhat....you can see he's talking but don't have to show a close up of the lips.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jan 31 2013, 1:19am

Post #24 of 31 (156 views)
Shortcut
I agree with all of this [In reply to] Can't Post

That's how I want the scene with Smaug to play out. Smaug is magnificent, so they should show his magnificence. That's what I'm looking most forward to about the movie, is the big reveal of Smaug. It must be spectacular. Cool

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jan 31 2013, 1:24am

Post #25 of 31 (156 views)
Shortcut
I thought that they talk with telepathy in Eragon? [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.