Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What new scenes will be included in the EE?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

frodolives
Lorien

Jan 29 2013, 11:25pm

Post #1 of 38 (1586 views)
Shortcut
What new scenes will be included in the EE? Can't Post

Anyone have any ideas of what new stuff will be included in the EE?

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 29 2013, 11:40pm

Post #2 of 38 (884 views)
Shortcut
I would imagine more of Bilbo in Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

We saw it filmed, and his melancholy about leaving seems weird since we only saw him eat dinner and hang out at the moon runes table.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 29 2013, 11:45pm

Post #3 of 38 (938 views)
Shortcut
based on soundtrack... [In reply to] Can't Post

....extra tracks I presume we will see more of Bilbo in Hobbition (the footage of him in the blue coat undoubtedly) and more of Erebor. I find myself listening to that titled track a lot, its magnificent; sounds like an ancient Celtic procession. The Dwarf Lords track...? not sure if it will be origins of the Seven fathers or more immediate history of Durin's current heirs.

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Jan 29 2013, 11:58pm

Post #4 of 38 (903 views)
Shortcut
some scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

more of Bilbo in Rivendell (talking to Elrond on the balcony and seeing the shards of Narsil)

Bilbo going to the market in Hobbit, running into the Sackville Bagginses and looking around nervously for any sign of Gandalf

PJ has said there will be a scene where the dwarves play a joke on the elves before leaving Rivendell

PJ has said there would be more of the Goblin King

PJ has said the EE will only be about 20-25 minutes longer

Fishbug
The Shire

Jan 30 2013, 12:44am

Post #5 of 38 (835 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf dummies [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
PJ has said there will be a scene where the dwarves play a joke on the elves before leaving Rivendell

The Chronicles book shows a sketch of them rigging up dummies before they sneak out, so that may be what it is.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 30 2013, 2:50am

Post #6 of 38 (821 views)
Shortcut
The Rivendell Bath House scene. [In reply to] Can't Post

A very secret scene, so far kept tightly under wraps. Unlike the dwarves that are in it.

C'mon, those dwarves looked a lot fresher when they left Rivendell; you know they must have scrubbed up at some point.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 30 2013, 2:55am

Post #7 of 38 (755 views)
Shortcut
With the Parth Galen bathing scene as a DVD extra? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just as a belated filip for LOTR fans...

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jan 30 2013, 2:55am)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 30 2013, 3:36am

Post #8 of 38 (701 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always felt rather shortchanged that PJ left that one out of LOTR.

And if DOS doesn't start with the Great River of Wilderland (Parth Carrock??) bathing scene -- which, we must remind PJ -- is ACTUALLY IN THE TEXT -- I'm just going to...to...have to find another scene in which to FTSMMOP.*

*FTSMMOP = "Forget To Swallow My Mouthful Of Popcorn" -- said of scenes that are particularly breathtaking, especially if they involve Hot Dwarves.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 3:43am

Post #9 of 38 (701 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, but I think it would actually depress me [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you see what they look like in their dwarf padding? PJ wouldnt want to spring for the CGI for this scene! And remember, it wouldn't just be Thorin, Fili and Kili. We may not want to go there.

In Reply To
I've always felt rather shortchanged that PJ left that one out of LOTR.

And if DOS doesn't start with the Great River of Wilderland (Parth Carrock??) bathing scene -- which, we must remind PJ -- is ACTUALLY IN THE TEXT -- I'm just going to...to...have to find another scene in which to FTSMMOP.*

*FTSMMOP = "Forget To Swallow My Mouthful Of Popcorn" -- said of scenes that are particularly breathtaking, especially if they involve Hot Dwarves.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 30 2013, 5:33am

Post #10 of 38 (669 views)
Shortcut
Tasteful use of boulders. [In reply to] Can't Post

And rushes, reeds, and opaque water. And CGI where necessary. Heirs of Durin can stay in the foreground, others can be discreetly in the background. It's doable.

And afterwards, maybe we could see Thorin giving Kili a few lessons in archery...

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 30 2013, 6:13am

Post #11 of 38 (672 views)
Shortcut
Some guesses [In reply to] Can't Post

For certain:
- Bilbo in the Hobbiton market.
- Bilbo gazing at Narsil in Rivendell.

Not so sure:
- Gandalf and Thorin meet in Bree; possible cameo of JRD as grandfather of Barliman Butterbur.
- Gandalf encounters Elladan and Elrohir on the road to Rivendell.

Highly unlikely to "not a chance":
- Bilbo meets 'Estel' in Rivendell.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 6:21am

Post #12 of 38 (660 views)
Shortcut
High Fells? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only read a few things about it online but isn't there a whole section on them in the chronicles book? I'm thinking of buying it but it's pretty expensive.

I wish they kept that scene in the theatrical because without it the Necromancer storyline felt too incomplete and Radagast was forgotten about. Gandalf and Radagast finding the ringwraith's tombs broken open would be a good set up for film 2.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 30 2013, 6:26am

Post #13 of 38 (625 views)
Shortcut
I just FTHIMMOW [In reply to] Can't Post

Meaning, I just "Forgot To Hold In My Mouthful Of Water" Laugh

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Jan 30 2013, 8:41am

Post #14 of 38 (666 views)
Shortcut
According to the WETA book... [In reply to] Can't Post

... a scene from Old Took's birthday party, where Gandalf meets Bilbo as a child with his mother Belladonna, was shot. That scene will almost certainly be included.

Then there's the market scene, more stuff from Rivendell (Narsil, etc), the High Fells.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 2:56pm

Post #15 of 38 (496 views)
Shortcut
I made the serious mistake of reading this just now at work. [In reply to] Can't Post

Trying to explain my hysterics was undoable.

In Reply To
And rushes, reeds, and opaque water. And CGI where necessary. Heirs of Durin can stay in the foreground, others can be discreetly in the background. It's doable.

And afterwards, maybe we could see Thorin giving Kili a few lessons in archery...

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 3:13pm

Post #16 of 38 (515 views)
Shortcut
Where is this in the book? [In reply to] Can't Post

I must be missing it--

In Reply To

In Reply To

The Chronicles book shows a sketch of them rigging up dummies before they sneak out, so that may be what it is.

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 3:17pm

Post #17 of 38 (473 views)
Shortcut
It's doable... [In reply to] Can't Post

with prosthetics. It would be a good segway for discussing going to Beorn's, but then again, they may just go straight there.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 3:44pm

Post #18 of 38 (489 views)
Shortcut
Well, they did have a drawing of shirtless Thorin in the Chronicles [In reply to] Can't Post

So they have a template! But we never got shirtless Aragorn (only shirtless Frodo) in LOTR, so I'm not holding out much hope here.

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 3:50pm

Post #19 of 38 (463 views)
Shortcut
Okay, where was it??? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to find this now :)

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 4:08pm

Post #20 of 38 (465 views)
Shortcut
In the "Young Thorin" section [In reply to] Can't Post

About 2/3 of the way into the book, near the Thrain and Thror parts, I think. It's a tiny picture near the center top, showing him in the scene where he is at the anvil after the dwarves become refugees ("He never forgave, and he never forgot"). I, personally, think it was creatively the right way to go. But I am not the director, am I?

However, based on the drawing, RA would need to get Hugh Jackman's trainer.

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 5:40pm

Post #21 of 38 (441 views)
Shortcut
I have to admit... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not a stickler for staying true to the book or anything, but I would be thrilled if they had a bit of that in there somehow ;)

leniel Tindome
Bree

Jan 30 2013, 5:48pm

Post #22 of 38 (432 views)
Shortcut
Where did you get this information from (Elladan & Elrohir)? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Not so sure:
- Gandalf and Thorin meet in Bree; possible cameo of JRD as grandfather of Barliman Butterbur.
- Gandalf encounters Elladan and Elrohir on the road to Rivendell.

imin
Valinor

Jan 30 2013, 5:51pm

Post #23 of 38 (435 views)
Shortcut
Can they show Gandalf meeting Thorin in Bree [In reply to] Can't Post

What with it being in Unfinished Tales i would wonder where they stand on doing this legally speaking?

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 30 2013, 6:25pm

Post #24 of 38 (405 views)
Shortcut
I suppose [In reply to] Can't Post

They can generalize the meeting with Thorin, but there's actual dialogue in the book, and they'd have to change all of it. I don't think we'll see that, but it would have been nice as a flashback where Gandalf tells the White Council his concerns about the dragon when he meets Thorin on the road.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 30 2013, 7:09pm

Post #25 of 38 (393 views)
Shortcut
They've got the rights to the Appendices... [In reply to] Can't Post

and the meeting between Gandalf and Thorin in Bree, with a touch of dialogue, is in Appendix A of LOTR. So they could use that.

The long version of The Quest of Erebor is published as an Appendix in the second edition of Douglas Anderson's The Annotated Hobbit, complete with lots of dialogue. I don't know if they've got rights to that, but it's possible.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.