Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
SAST Quiz #1
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Jan 29 2013, 1:58am

Post #26 of 76 (701 views)
Shortcut
My very first SAST quiz answer reply post EVAH! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Dusting the mantel....uh, and counting the dishware. And Thorin.

2. Dwalin.

3. Hoot once like a barn owl, twice like a screech owl. Or, become attuned with Eywa and abandon the ways of the Sky People.

4. William, Bert, Tom. But in the Muppets version, all three would be named Sweetums.

5. Burrahobbit. Or two Yoots. Two wha...? What's a yoot?

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jan 29 2013, 2:16am

Post #27 of 76 (694 views)
Shortcut
My first SAST! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. What is Bilbo doing when Gandalf walks in to Bag End, the morning after the Unexpected Party? (Be as specific as possible.)

Bilbo has just finished eating breakfast, when Gandalf walks in, wandering when Bilbo is coming.

2. Which dwarf gives Bilbo his spare hood and cloak, when Bilbo finds himself joining the company without any travelling gear?

Balin

3. What does Thorin tell Bilbo to do if he can’t come back, when Thorin sends him off to investigate the mysterious light in the woods?

Hoot twice like a barn owl and once like a screech owl.

4. What are the names of the three trolls?

Bert, Tom and Bill Huggins

5. What do the trolls hear as Bilbo’s answer to their question, “What are yer?”

Burrahobbit

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jan 29 2013, 2:21am

Post #28 of 76 (695 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Moe, Larry, and Curly.

They do kind of act like them. Tongue

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2013, 2:25am

Post #29 of 76 (690 views)
Shortcut
Tore myself away from cervesa on the beach for this [In reply to] Can't Post

1. What is Bilbo doing when Gandalf walks in to Bag End, the morning after the Unexpected Party? (Be as specific as possible.)
Eating breakfast -- I'm sure it included crispy bacon and mushrooms.

2. Which dwarf gives Bilbo his spare hood and cloak, when Bilbo finds himself joining the company without any travelling gear?
Dwalin - he always had extras

3. What does Thorin tell Bilbo to do if he can’t come back, when Thorin sends him off to investigate the mysterious light in the woods?
Now here I get confused between the book and movie -- hoot twice like a barn owl and once like a screech owl? Or maybe it was the other way around

Bill, Bert and Tom

Burrahobbit -- or kookaburra

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Nira
Lorien

Jan 29 2013, 2:43am

Post #30 of 76 (697 views)
Shortcut
Roast Mutton [In reply to] Can't Post

Eating second breakfast. YAY Second breakfast! What was he eating or about to eat that the dwarves didn’t get to?

Hmmm…Not Thorin, Gloin, Kili or Fili… ahhh I don’t know! Can I be like Gollum and get 3 guesses for this riddle? Bofur, Dwalin, or Dori.
One of the Dwarves’ dark green cloak- too big for Bilbo, but useful as a blanket too. I like to think he keeps the cloak, but it was probably lost along the way.

hoot once like a barn owl and twice like a screech owl…or the reverse of that

FYI- I love saying the word “hoot”

Tom, Dick, and Harry….NO… Bert, Ernie, Cookie Monster….NO…
Tom, William, Bert
Thank you for not asking which troll did or said something :p

A burrahobbit :)

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?"

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 29 2013, 2:50am

Post #31 of 76 (698 views)
Shortcut
Woo-hoo! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just re-read The Hobbit a few weeks ago, when I got the 75th Anniversary edition. But like many books that I have read countless times, I find myself skimming in spots, since I think I know the story so well. But maybe not as well as I think!

I think the last time I did this was on the old message boards. Can't remember being able to use emoticons Wink

He's just sitting down to second breakfast, but he hasn't dusted the mantel!

Ah, I think it's Dori, but it might be Balin. Unfortunately, not Thorin.Cool

Hoot once like a barn owl, then twice like a screech owl. Or maybe the other way - but a barn owl and a screech owl were definitely involved.

Bert, William and Tom. For decades, I thought it was one troll with three heads, because Tolkien mentions multi-headed trolls. It wasn't until we discussed The Hobbit in the Reading Room that I realized there were three distinct trolls.

A burrahobbit - one of my favorite words.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jan 29 2013, 2:51am)

Eruwestial37
Lorien

Jan 29 2013, 3:53am

Post #32 of 76 (678 views)
Shortcut
Oh help [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant to read the book last December. Really I did. Oh well...
1) He's calling AAA to get a TripTik to the Lonely Mountain
2) Sneezy?
3) Meet them in Hogwarts
4) Larry, Moe and Curly
5) Hamburglar

http://www.nanowrimo.org/widget/LiveParticipant/727338.png

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 29 2013, 4:34am

Post #33 of 76 (691 views)
Shortcut
Bomby's 5 answers [In reply to] Can't Post

number 1
sitting in the Hot Tub
.. On the Roof of BagEnd..
Playing with his Wooden? duckie.
..carved in Dale
by Dwarves
smoking pipe weed.

number 2.. None of them
Since
..Color Coded Hoods
is really important 2
dwarf family history.

Number 3
Thorin tells Bilbo
"Don't panic"... Scream
"the answer is 42?"

The trolls are
Winkin
Blinkin
& Nod!

Who are You?
"Zaphod Breedlebrox"

Sorry
bomby
is channeling
Douglas Adams?

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 29 2013, 4:38am

Post #34 of 76 (669 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like number 2...because how else can you tell

number 2.. None of them
Since
..Color Coded Hoods
is really important 2
dwarf family history.

which are the brothers?

Awesome :)

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 29 2013, 7:37am

Post #35 of 76 (656 views)
Shortcut
Time for a tea break, please help yourselves [In reply to] Can't Post

There are scones with jam (apricot or raspberry) and cream, hot ginger gems with melting butter spread nice and thick, seed cake, melting moments, lamingtons with lashings of cream (raspberry or chocolate), ginger kisses, jam tarts, custard squares, chocolate log, apple shortcake, and coconut macaroons.
Fruit tea, Earl Grey, Lady Grey, English Breakfast or coffee.

Please do your own dishes.

And no cheating while eating.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 29 2013, 8:07am

Post #36 of 76 (674 views)
Shortcut
Easy to do closed book when your mum's borrowed your copy [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Having breakfast.
2) Dwalin, I think (this obviously wouldn't work in the movies when little Bilbo would be totally swamped by giant Dwalin's stuff. Can you imagine it?)
3) No idea. Erm, come back with a daisy chain?
4) Bert, William and Harry
5) A burrahobbit.

Storm clouds

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 29 2013, 9:11am

Post #37 of 76 (668 views)
Shortcut
Actually, [In reply to] Can't Post

regarding your #2: I'd recommend going and taking a look through Chapter 1 of LOTR. Bilbo *does* keep the cloak and hood, and they are one of his most treasured possessions, apparently. I love that detail!

sador
Half-elven

Jan 29 2013, 9:17am

Post #38 of 76 (710 views)
Shortcut
If there's one thing I can't ignore, it's quizzes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for doing those!

He's a hobbit, isn't he? Must be eating.

To be specific - it's his second breakfast, or whatever he calls it.

Book-Dwalin.

(movie-Dwalin's cloak and hood would be far to large)

Imaitate owls - I think a barn-owl twice, and a screech-owl once .

The trouble began when the burglar didn't give a hoot about orders, but went after some private gain.

One was William Huggins. He was nicknamed Bill, after the pony.
The second was Bertnot son of Berthelm. His friends called him just Bert. Unfotrtunately, he got caught out of cover by unfair means - and never came home.
I've always suspected Tomasin was a female (you know, females do troll as proficiently as males). I wanted to check this UUT by confirming my impression that Tom was the only one who knew about cooking - but never got around to it.

Bill and Tom heard "a burr" and then "a hobbit". Bilbo felt like a burr, and looked like a hobbit, so they thought he belonged to an unkown (in the gastronomic sense) spieces, which like wolfhounds and catfish, was named him a "burr-a-hobbit".

Bertnot, just like an American volunteer in Spain at the same time, heard a far-of donnish bray, declaiming in a late Tudorian accent:

never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 29 2013, 11:15am

Post #39 of 76 (648 views)
Shortcut
Hehe! Your #1! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, a hobbit after my own heart...never go on any long trip without checking AAA first! Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 29 2013, 11:21am

Post #40 of 76 (663 views)
Shortcut
#3 - now that is a perfect pun for the situation! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 29 2013, 12:46pm

Post #41 of 76 (646 views)
Shortcut
Stretches fingers [In reply to] Can't Post

here we go:
1. Updating his Facebook account "Visitors gone! House is clean again! All is quiet again. No adventure in sight.".
2. Bilbo refused politely, hood and cloak are so last era. He only wears hoodies nowadays and wouldn't be caught death in a hood and cloak, just the thought *shudders*.
3. Change his Facebook status into "It is complicated"
4. Me, me and me (they had problem figured out who was who, because when you asked, who is Bill, somebody always called "Me", so to keep things easier, they are all Me now)
5. Huh, what, who, me? (hence, the trolls thought he was a Troll too, since he was named Me as well).

Rolfina
Rivendell

Jan 29 2013, 1:27pm

Post #42 of 76 (645 views)
Shortcut
serious answers these are [In reply to] Can't Post

He had just finished fixing the plumbing in his bathroom, and was having a second breakfast.

This is a trick question. Thorin gives him his ONLY hood and cloak, and henceforth passes the rest of the adventure bare-chested.

Make owl noises. Bilbo tried to mention that he can't do owl noises, I think. Also not to get his hood and cloak dirty, please.

Tomas, Albert, William (Charles had decided to stay behind, claiming he was suffering from a stomach bug from eating a squirrel that turned out to be infested with parasites. In reality he took advantage of the situation and made a move on Betty, Albert's wife. Albeit, unsuccessfully).

Another trick question. It is never specified what the trolls actually hear, only what Bilbo says. They might have heard imitated owl screeching from the distance. Or complaints that it is a rather cold night for walking around bare-chested. Or they do hear Bilbo saying something about burglars and hobbits that to them sounds like burrahobbits, as they aren't familiar with either. Can't be sure.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 29 2013, 2:18pm

Post #43 of 76 (652 views)
Shortcut
And... we're off!! [In reply to] Can't Post

After clearing up the mess left behind, he's just sitting down for a well-earned meal. I think its breakfast #5!
Dwalin. I've often wondered what that cloak smelled like and how long it had been stuffed in the bag... against his pony... probably not seeing light or air for months. "Oh. Gee. Thanks Dwalin!"
Hoot like a barn owl and a brown owl (well-honoured in Peter's flick). But Bilbo's a bit freaked out cuz he doesn't know how to hoot! "What's a hoot, precious? eh? What's a hoot?"
I know this!! I dated Tom, but steered clear of William and Bert. Chronic flatulance, don'tchaknow.
No owl-noises, I'm afraid. Just the burra-hobbit shivering and dangling.

THANKS RO!! It's so great to have you back and keeping us on our fuzzy little feet :D

First draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 29 2013, 3:52pm

Post #44 of 76 (632 views)
Shortcut
I hope I don't embarass myself [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe he's finished eating and cleaning up as Gandalf points out the contract on the mantle piece

Dwalin gives him a spare

I believe he tells him to hoot like an owl.

Bert, William, and Tom

Burrahobbit

Elvanui
Rivendell

Jan 29 2013, 4:23pm

Post #45 of 76 (627 views)
Shortcut
I'll give this a go too :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't remember, so..he's just getting some breakfast. I'll go with pouring some tea Smile

Dori?

Hoot twice like a barn owl, once like a screech owl. Or the 'once' and 'twice' are the other way round. I loved that line in the audiobook I used to have, always made me laugh Laugh

Tom, Bert, William

A burrahobbit!

"...under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth."

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 29 2013, 5:42pm

Post #46 of 76 (671 views)
Shortcut
Mediocrity Bench, here I come! [In reply to] Can't Post

Scooch over, people!

1. What is Bilbo doing?
Hmm. When all else fails, just say, "Thorin!" Well, I'd love to, but TORn is supposed to be a family-friendly place. But maybe he was doing Thorin's hair. We could hijack the SAST quiz with another examination of Thorin's hair, which I'm all for. Of course, we'll need a picture to make it a proper hijacking.

2. Which dwarf gives Bilbo his spare hood and cloak?
Thorin. Which explains why he's without one here.

Something about hooting like an owl, but he describes it in such dramatic fashion that Bilbo immediately forgets.

Thorin, Smokin', Shield

Yes, Thorin really is that hot!
Angelic

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 29 2013, 6:28pm

Post #47 of 76 (623 views)
Shortcut
Ah, but you do mediocrity with such flair! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2013, 6:29pm

Post #48 of 76 (647 views)
Shortcut
Chapter 2: Breakfast at Sir Denny's [In reply to] Can't Post

1)eating his second breakfast. He had to clean up the dwarves' mess first, so he was very hungry. If I remember correctly, he had ordered the Hobbit Slam with Pumpkin Patch pancakes ("Hold the whipped topping, please. Mustn't overdo."); seed cake French toast ("Cream cheese topping, if you'd be so kind."); Shire sausage (Three, please, and be sure they're nicely browned, tah."), a pot of tea; and Bilbo's Berry Smoothie for dessert, just to get more food groups in. He'd only managed to get through the pancakes and sausage when Gandalf came in for some Radagast red velvet pancake puppies, did his booming scary voice, and chased Bilbo out the door!

2)Dwalin. He had decided at that point to shave his head, so he wasn't too fussed about getting his hair wet.

3)"Hoot once like a barn owl and twice like a screech owl"....or was it "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee?"

4)William, Bert and Ernie, er, Tom.

5)"A bur...a burr..." which is all he managed to get out before the slugs began pouring out of his mouth. Oops! wrong story?Blush

Kassandros
Rohan

Jan 29 2013, 6:44pm

Post #49 of 76 (625 views)
Shortcut
I was just following the rules... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ro said that we should simply say "Thorin" when we didn't know the answer, so I was just following the rules. I deny all knowledge of possible innuendos or hidden meanings that are not family friendly. Yep. Exactly the same situation as when Tolkien said King Arthur was "booty seeking" or had Sam always sayingt "Master Frodo". Squeaky clean we are, the Professor and I!*

*Unless I get some extra credit and don't get in trouble with the admins - then yeah, ok, I knew what I was doing. Laugh

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2013, 6:51pm

Post #50 of 76 (618 views)
Shortcut
Not a bit obsessed! No, no, no,no....// [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.