Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Arwen's Cranberry Velvet Gown?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 5 2007, 5:21am

Post #1 of 15 (5041 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Arwen's Cranberry Velvet Gown? Can't Post

I thought it might be interesting to take a look at some of the background props, costumes, and paintings in the movies from time to time. Especially when the boards slow down, like they have for the holidays. I don't know how often I'll be able to post, or even if we all like the idea, but let's see what happens. Smile

Did you ever notice Arwen's cranberry velvet gown? No?

Still don't recognize it? It appeared for only a moment in The Two Towers.

Did you catch it that time? Yep, that is a completely seperate dress that was made and used only for that scene. It never appears anywhere else. It is made from silk velvet and the edge of the neck and the sleeve band are covered entirely in beading.

Want to know more? I highly recommend both of these sites for information on LotR costuming.
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/.../Arwen/Cranberry.htm

http://www.costumersguide.com/cr_lotr.shtml

And now, please discuss... Is this silly when they could just redecorate one of her other dresses? Why not make it since they have the budget? What do you think?

And would you like to see these posts continue?

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2007, 9:33am

Post #2 of 15 (2480 views)
Shortcut
No, I never noticed that one. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it was because the people making things for the movies never knew what Peter might want, so they made as much as possible for every scene in the script. You know, you can't disappoint Peter!

barahliofrohan
Rivendell

Dec 5 2007, 2:52pm

Post #3 of 15 (2460 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous gown! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love all the costumes of the women in the movies. I saw the actual gown of Galadriel that was on display at one of the exhibits. It was beyond belief, the details etc.

I actually would like to have Eowyn's gowns.

Barahli of Rohan

Westu Eomer hal!

weaver
Half-elven

Dec 5 2007, 3:55pm

Post #4 of 15 (2443 views)
Shortcut
that's beautiful... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and no, I never noticed it before. Thanks for posting this!

As to why they never used this more...hmmm...maybe this was originally intended to be a much longer sequence. And we do know that there were many Arwen things cut out as the storyline progressed. Perhaps this scene for the dress is the only one that survived all of that.

I feel sorry for the poor costumer who worked on this, only to see that just the very edge of the beadwork ended up in the final film -- and even then, in this scene, it's probably not what she's wearing that most folks look at! I guess that is just part of making films -- it's a creative process, and there's no guarantee that anything will make the final version -- your best line if you are an actor and for others, your best special effect, your best prop work, sound effect, edit, musical sequence, etc. The killer must be when some throwaway line, or improvised prop, or last minute addition gets all the screen time and the thing you spent hours on is cut.

In terms of continuing this kind of thing, well, we talked at one time about doing discussions around things like costuming, sound, props, etc. There was some interest but it never took off.

We have some new folks coming in now due to the Hobbit movie rumors, I would guess, so the timing may be great to throw a few new things like this out there, especially, as you say when the boards are slower.

So you have my vote for continuing to post things like this -- and my thanks!

Weaver

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2007, 3:59pm

Post #5 of 15 (2440 views)
Shortcut
I did notice it ... but didn't know it only appeared once! [In reply to] Can't Post

That dress was one of the nicest of Arwen's gowns, too. The fabric is so sumptuous and gorgeous-looking.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 5 2007, 6:10pm

Post #6 of 15 (2444 views)
Shortcut
Another one of Pete's famous moments [In reply to] Can't Post

of having a character in a new, fabulous gown and shooting only in tight close-up. I remember on the DVD appendices of ROTK, the head costumer (I forget her name) despaired over a new gown for Eowyn that she made for the celebration in Meduseld, and how gorgeous the outfit was, and she said something like, "And typical Pete: He films a tight shot on her face."

Well-spotted re the cranberry gown! And yes, please continue these posts. I love discovering new things about the movies.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2007, 6:16pm

Post #7 of 15 (2423 views)
Shortcut
Hang on.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In terms of continuing this kind of thing, well, we talked at one time about doing discussions around things like costuming, sound, props, etc. There was some interest but it never took off.

Poor OhioHobbit is working as fast as he can!

weaver
Half-elven

Dec 5 2007, 6:27pm

Post #8 of 15 (2411 views)
Shortcut
whoops -- sorry for the disconnect... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't thinking about you and OH...I was thinking about the time a couple of years ago when the Annotated discussions broke down -- we had got to the middle of TTT and it just died. I did a poll, I think, and one of the things that showed some interest was a focus on the various things that went into the films -- and I think costumes was one of them.

I was just thinking of you two the other day and wondering where you were with things, but it slipped my mind today in that you would naturally think I was referring to what you have been working on....Sorry!Blush

I'll PM you guys to check in....

Weaver

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 6 2007, 12:36am

Post #9 of 15 (2427 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I remember both of those [In reply to] Can't Post

I never noticed Arwen's cranberry gown in the movie, but I had seen pictures of it in other places and loved it. And I remember the featurette or whatever that showed Eowyn's blue gown with all the beautiful beads and embroidery down the front. I think it's a crying shame we didn't get to see them in the movies, when the costumers put so much effort into them and they're so beautiful! But at least, thanks to DVD's and the internet, they can be appreciated by some people. Ataahua, the designer's name was Ngila Dickson, and IMO she very much deserved those Oscars.

Speaking of which, hey, oldtimers: remember when ND was announced as the costume designer for LotR, and all we knew her from was her work on Xena: Warrior Princess? Ohh, the skepticism and despair that abounded on TORN in those days!

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

(This post was edited by Kyriel on Dec 6 2007, 12:37am)

énethoraï

Dec 6 2007, 12:50am

Post #10 of 15 (2405 views)
Shortcut
Nope, I never notice things like this [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's great to hear about them! Don't know what I could say, but I'm definitely interested in more posts about props, costumes, and such. It's too bad it was only used for one scene, and that only such a tiny bit of it was shown! Still, to me it shows how much work and attention to detail was put into the movies.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 6 2007, 2:18am

Post #11 of 15 (2449 views)
Shortcut
This whole project was outrageous [In reply to] Can't Post

in how detailed and 'authentic' they got. This gown is just a drop in the bucket.

But mostly I wanted to post that I think this sort of thread is a good idea and I'd love to hear more from you and others on the costuming.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Dec 6 2007, 7:30am

Post #12 of 15 (2384 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd never noticed this gown, but somehow I'm not surprised to find out how much care went into something that we hardly see at all. Building the world seems to have been so thorough, and so much creativity went into it, that it somehow gets onto the screen even though we can't actually "see" it (if that makes any sense!)

I would love to hear more about props, costumes and whatever else you knowledgeable folk can tell us about - it's kind of like reading the Appendices in the book and finding out more about the "real" Middle-earth behind the story!

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

barahliofrohan
Rivendell

Dec 6 2007, 6:54pm

Post #13 of 15 (2424 views)
Shortcut
Details on costumes and props [In reply to] Can't Post

I was fortunate enough to have attended one of the exhibits and the details on the costumes were staggering.

Barahli of Rohan

Westu Eomer hal!

Merenwen
The Shire

Dec 23 2007, 9:30am

Post #14 of 15 (2409 views)
Shortcut
You can't disappoint Peter [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I think too. There's some part in the ROTK EE extras where the costume designer talks about the pretty blue dress she made for Eowyn to wear with the blue cloak. It has an awful lot of detail in it, but only the upper half can be seen in the film. They just couldn't know that when they made the dress.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2007, 4:46pm

Post #15 of 15 (2332 views)
Shortcut
We just saw that... [In reply to] Can't Post

last night when we were watching the ROTK EE extras.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.