Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Barrels and More Barrels

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 28 2013, 11:04pm

Post #1 of 15 (1034 views)
Shortcut
Barrels and More Barrels Can't Post

From various production photos, we get the sense that the dwarves will be paddling their own barrels sometimes after the initial escape. So this would indicate some further changes from the book, but not all of them unwelcome, perhaps.

1. The broad assumption is that their escape is undetected at first, so I don't think they're going to be arrows fired at barrels. I guess it depends on when Evangeline Lilly's character discovers the cells are empty. As far as we know, she's the one that has a line related to that discovery.

2. The dwarves paddle downstream under their own power with the lids off. I guess this will mean no interim raft village action, and that only leaves the perils of river travel (rapids, etc.) for the dwarves to have to keep teh action moving until Laketown.

3. I looked over a few pics of the dwarves paddling in barrrels, but I didn't see Bilbo in any of them. There's one picture of thirteen barrels and some divers helping them in the river, but no Bilbo.

Thoughts?

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 28 2013, 11:23pm

Post #2 of 15 (500 views)
Shortcut
I think I remember Bilbo in a barrel in one of the vlogs. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe #7? He wasn't in the water, though. He was in one on wheels, being pushed through the studio by a couple of crew members. It looked like one they used for close up shots, and he was without his coat, just in his shirt (like the dwarves).

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 28 2013, 11:24pm

Post #3 of 15 (514 views)
Shortcut
I really only have thoughts on #3... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I remember a couple of things that makes me think he was in a barrel (although I could definitely be wrong). There was a production video where he was being wheeled around in one of the fake barrels on set (which could have been a joke), but there was also an interview he did where, without giving details, he said his biggest fear had to do with a scene involving water and rocks. So I'm thinking he grabs a barrel.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 28 2013, 11:45pm

Post #4 of 15 (517 views)
Shortcut
No barrel for Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

He is so worried about his companions
he forgets to get in a barrel
THerefore the famous line
"thang.. you. ..very Buch "
in LakeTown.. he swam.. cligining to Their barrels

when they're tossed..through the exit
they will have lids
But as soon as They are Out of arrowShot
Off. .go the lids.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2013, 3:53am

Post #5 of 15 (396 views)
Shortcut
in the book at least... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo rode ON one of the barrels... invisible due to the Ring.

Go outside and play...

Súlimë
Rivendell

Jan 29 2013, 4:49am

Post #6 of 15 (396 views)
Shortcut
I like the change [In reply to] Can't Post

In a movie you can't possibly have the dwarves INSIDE the barrels the whole journey. I look forward to seeing them wet and miserable and bickering -- might make for a fun scene Tongue

Angharad73
Rohan

Jan 29 2013, 7:42am

Post #7 of 15 (382 views)
Shortcut
Wet, grumpy dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

... that should really make for entertaining viewing Laugh

It would have been impssible to have a good barrel scene with the dwarves being entirely enclosed in the barrels for the whole journey down-river. With Bilbo invisible while riding a barrel, there would have been really nothing to see at all. So it makes sense that the barrels are open and we see the dwarves paddling about.

Besides - wet dwarves! Evil

Olo Overhill

Jan 29 2013, 2:23pm

Post #8 of 15 (318 views)
Shortcut
1 barrel lid on? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see PJ keeping 1 barrel with a fustrated dwarf stuck inside and lid on for its humorous aspect and to be somewhat like it is in the book.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 29 2013, 8:49pm

Post #9 of 15 (205 views)
Shortcut
Sure you can [In reply to] Can't Post

In a movie you can't possibly have the dwarves INSIDE the barrels the whole journey. I look forward to seeing them wet and miserable and bickering -- might make for a fun scene

Sure you can. Just have a couple quick shots of the dwarves inside their barrels complaining. Then do a transition to the barrels at the shore. I guess since PJ wants to drag the scene out he feels the need to break canon yet again.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 29 2013, 9:17pm

Post #10 of 15 (209 views)
Shortcut
It may be [In reply to] Can't Post

That the dwarves are cooped up for a while, and then paddling around in the barrels like improvised canoes. Not the best kind of canoe, but the river was the best way to get to Esgaroth, since the road and elf paths were 'doubtful'. I think it keep to the spirit of the idea, even if they show the dwarves standing up in the barrels. I wouldn't like to try to keep my balance that way, but there you are.

They also seem to have lost most or all their clothing again at least in the picture they are mostly in their long johns.

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 29 2013, 9:54pm

Post #11 of 15 (196 views)
Shortcut
the actors probably liked that [In reply to] Can't Post

They'd be less hot with fewer layers. Of course, it kinda depends on what time of year they were filming.

ceppault
Bree

Jan 30 2013, 2:16am

Post #12 of 15 (167 views)
Shortcut
Links to images [In reply to] Can't Post

... which may have already been viewed. It may portray the barrels at some point fully enclosed and then having lids ejected.

Hobbits elude us, but we get to set at Pelorus Bridge

Taupo's rapid allure to hobbit at Aratiatia Spillway

Exclusive: Barrel-Riding Test Photos at Aratiatia Rapids

Production Locations on Google Maps
The Hobbit
The Return of the King
The Two Towers
The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by ceppault on Jan 30 2013, 2:22am)

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 30 2013, 3:57pm

Post #13 of 15 (98 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like how it's described as a popular tourist spot. It's going to be even more popular after this!

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 30 2013, 4:33pm

Post #14 of 15 (97 views)
Shortcut
I wonder... [In reply to] Can't Post

...how many idiots will be trying to ride down this river in barrels after the next movie comes out ;)

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 30 2013, 6:27pm

Post #15 of 15 (143 views)
Shortcut
Oh, Lord, yes // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.