Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Will we get to see Sting get its blade inscription or be ''Named''?

Gorbag
Rivendell

Jan 28 2013, 8:58pm

Post #1 of 9 (550 views)
Shortcut
Will we get to see Sting get its blade inscription or be ''Named''? Can't Post

As we know the version of Sting in AUJ has no blade inscription like we see in LOTR. I cant remember in the book if it is referenced that it has a inscription on it when its first taken from the Trolls hoard. So im guessing Sting will have to earn its name, and the blade inscription from the events in Mirkwood in the film.

Would be nice to see Bilbo getting the sword named/incribed to make it match what we see in LOTR. Will we get to see that scene on film?

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Angharad73
Rohan

Jan 28 2013, 9:53pm

Post #2 of 9 (226 views)
Shortcut
I'd love to see that! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to see the blade get the actual inscription, but I'm not sure whether that will be in the movie. But I do think that in Mirkwood, with the business with the spiders, we will see how Bilbo actually named the blade. I mean, that's how it happened in the book, isn't it? It is such a nice scene. I would be very disappointed if that were left out.

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 28 2013, 10:19pm

Post #3 of 9 (208 views)
Shortcut
I bet they will [In reply to] Can't Post

especially in light of Balin saying that swords are named for the deeds they do in battle.

It's already been used against Orcs, and once Bilbo defeats the giant spider, it would be fitting to see the sword being named and/or inscribed, as it has now seen battle :-).

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 28 2013, 10:49pm

Post #4 of 9 (209 views)
Shortcut
I wonder where this would occur? [In reply to] Can't Post

On the way home going through Rivendell? Or would the dwarves do it in Erebor after the battle?

ForestPark
Rivendell

Jan 28 2013, 11:15pm

Post #5 of 9 (226 views)
Shortcut
Good Lord I hope not !!! [In reply to] Can't Post

His whole tantric/afrikaans/ dark ages bard trip really killed 80's nostalgia.

Gorbag
Rivendell

Jan 28 2013, 11:18pm

Post #6 of 9 (202 views)
Shortcut
Rivendell i think. [In reply to] Can't Post

Would be a nice little nod to the LOTR films that he gets it inscribed on the way home. Setting it up at the end of the Hobbit films ready for how it looks in the LOTR films.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Esmeralda
Bree

Jan 29 2013, 4:07am

Post #7 of 9 (146 views)
Shortcut
It would be lovely [In reply to] Can't Post

if the dwarves did it for Bilbo once they claim the mountain for their own. They do give him the mithril shirt, so carving the name on the sword at the same time would make it a true warrior's blade, wouldn't it?

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Jan 29 2013, 5:46pm

Post #8 of 9 (91 views)
Shortcut
absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

probably in Rivendell on Bilbo's way back home.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 29 2013, 10:49pm

Post #9 of 9 (125 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure Sting will be named.... [In reply to] Can't Post

As in the book, Bilbo will probably name Sting after he slays his first spider. I would guess that we will see Bilbo admiring the newly inscribed Sting before he and Gandalf leave Rivendell on the journey home.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.