SAST Quiz #1
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2013, 7:05pm

Post #1 of 76 (4222 views)
Shortcut
SAST Quiz #1 Can't Post

*Ro enters with a feather duster and starts clearing layers of dust and cobwebs* Welcome, welcome, one and all, to our first SAST quiz in…years! Methinks our classroom’s in need of a bit of spring cleaning…never mind the spawn of Shelob lurking in the corner over there; I’ll take care of them later. Remember we’re covering The Hobbit with this round of SAST, and it’s on the book, NOT the movie! This week’s quiz is on Chapter 2, Roast Mutton. Each question is worth one point. This quiz, as are all SAST quizzes, is strictly CLOSED BOOK *glares sternly over quizmistress glasses*, and anyone caught so much as sneeking a teensy-weensy peek at their book will be stuffed in a sack and roasted slowly, minced fine and boiled, AND THEN sat on and squashed to jelly. Fair enough? The quiz will close in 72 hours (i.e., three days), and answers/scores will be posted sometime thereafter.

*Ro gives up on the dusting and wanders off to see if Thorin needs help with his pony*

Onward, ye brave quiztakers, and enjoy!

1. What is Bilbo doing when Gandalf walks in to Bag End, the morning after the Unexpected Party? (Be as specific as possible.)

2. Which dwarf gives Bilbo his spare hood and cloak, when Bilbo finds himself joining the company without any travelling gear?

3. What does Thorin tell Bilbo to do if he can’t come back, when Thorin sends him off to investigate the mysterious light in the woods?

4. What are the names of the three trolls?

5. What do the trolls hear as Bilbo’s answer to their question, “What are yer?”

A bit more housekeeping, since this is our first quiz:

- SAST quizzes are always closed book. This means you must answer based on what you remember from the book!
- Correct answers earn one point, so a perfect score is 5 points.
- Funny answers earn Invisible Extra Credit (IEC).
- If you don’t know an answer, make something up. When all else fails, just answer “Thorin”.
- Quizzes will always have a set closing time, and answers posted after a quiz closes will not be scored.
- One quiz will be posted each week until we’ve made it through all 19 chapters.
- Quizzes will be posted at approximately the same time each week (Tuesday morning in New Zealand, Monday afternoon in the US, Monday night in the UK).
- I will keep track of everyone’s scores through the whole quiz series. Once we’ve finished the last chapter, I will tally up overall winners in various categories, and these will be posted in a Final Results thread. The categories may include Highest Score, Most Perfect Attendance, Most Perfectly Mediocre, and other categories at my discretion. Virtual prizes will certainly be awarded, and some physical ones may be awarded too. Eligibility for winning these various categories is restricted to those who have participated in at least 13 of the 19 quizzes.
- I’ve probably forgotten some housekeeping (not my forte – I don’t have dustbunnies lurking in the corners of my house, I’ve got Rhosbobel Rabbits!), so if you remember what I’ve forgotten, let me know. :-)

Kassandros
Rohan

Jan 28 2013, 7:19pm

Post #2 of 76 (3388 views)
Shortcut
Do we reply to this thread with our answers or send them to you in a PM? // [In reply to] Can't Post

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 28 2013, 7:26pm

Post #3 of 76 (3419 views)
Shortcut
From the back of the theatre - [In reply to] Can't Post

an on-again-off-again heckler appears:

1. What is Bilbo doing when Gandalf walks in to Bag End, the morning after the Unexpected Party? (Be as specific as possible.)

Just sitting down to breakfast?

2. Which dwarf gives Bilbo his spare hood and cloak, when Bilbo finds himself joining the company without any travelling gear?

Balin?

3. What does Thorin tell Bilbo to do if he can’t come back, when Thorin sends him off to investigate the mysterious light in the woods?

Hoot like a barn (or a screech?) owl.

William, Bert, and oh, I know it's not Thorin... Tom?

"Burra-hobbit."

Kassandros
Rohan

Jan 28 2013, 7:30pm

Post #4 of 76 (3410 views)
Shortcut
I haven't read the book in a few years... [In reply to] Can't Post

So I'm just answering so that no one else will be embarassed. I read your instructions very carefully, however, and I am taking this very, very seriously!

Thorin.

Balin

Hoot twice like an owl.

William, Bert, and Ernie.

"Rubber ducky."

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 28 2013, 7:37pm

Post #5 of 76 (3451 views)
Shortcut
Well, here's my attempt [In reply to] Can't Post

breathing, heart beating, digesting the few crumbs of food he scrounged the night before, washing dishes, rubbing his eyes, stretching, not packing handkerchiefs, using the - ah - facilities, yawning...

Sneezy, who trades him for a pocket-handkerchief.

Wait for the Teddy-Bears' mummies and daddies, who'll take him home to bed...

Maresy-trolls and Doesey-trolls and sweet little Trollsey-divey! (Bert, Tom and Bill?)

"2-4-6-0-1!" "No, I'm Jean Valjean!"

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2013, 7:44pm

Post #6 of 76 (3379 views)
Shortcut
Reply here. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Half the fun is getting to read everyone else's answers -- AFTER you've posted your own! Smile

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

Jan 28 2013, 7:51pm

Post #7 of 76 (3400 views)
Shortcut
There you go [In reply to] Can't Post

1. He is having second breakfast. Another seed cake perhaps? And probably tea. Though I wonder there was still anything left in his pantry for his first breakfast, not to talk about a second.
2. Dwalin
3. Hoot like some owl, followed by a double hoot of some other owl.
4. Bert, Tom, and William
5. Burrahobbit

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

(This post was edited by The Prancing Pony on Jan 28 2013, 7:54pm)

Kassandros
Rohan

Jan 28 2013, 7:52pm

Post #8 of 76 (3391 views)
Shortcut
Ok, thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I figured when I started replying and typed all my answers, but then I realized I wasn't sure so I saved my answered and instead asked. When I saw that someone else had replied, I figured it was safe to.

One more question: Is it ok to read the book between quizzes? I mean, after I've answered this week and before I read next week's quiz, for example?

I probably won't be doing that because I think I might wait to reread The Hobbit until after There and Back Again comes out, but the question popped into my mind.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 28 2013, 8:02pm

Post #9 of 76 (3408 views)
Shortcut
*cracks knuckles* Here we go... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. What is Bilbo doing when Gandalf walks in to Bag End, the morning after the Unexpected Party?
Nursing a humongous hangover.

Ori - he has knitted spares for everyone.

Hoot like two different birds - a moa and a Haast's eagle. (They were both unextint during Middle-earth's time.)

William, Bert and Tom!

A burrahobbit - which is onomatopoeia for 'a cold hobbit'. *Brrrr*.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 28 2013, 8:06pm

Post #10 of 76 (3375 views)
Shortcut
Your answer to number one is going to be hard to beat! :D / [In reply to] Can't Post

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Bellerock
Rivendell

Jan 28 2013, 8:18pm

Post #11 of 76 (3376 views)
Shortcut
Just read this chapter yesterday . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Having second breakfast. A little bleu cheese perhaps?

2. Dawlin. Can't you just see Bilbo decked out in leather and brass knuckles?

3. Screech twice like a hoot owl, or something like that. . .

4. Tom, Bill, and Bert.

5. A Burrahobbit. In addition to a twitchy nose, burrahobbits have furry hooves and really long ears.

Angharad73
Rohan

Jan 28 2013, 8:30pm

Post #12 of 76 (3383 views)
Shortcut
Here goes... well, something... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Not really sure... Trying to find food, any food, that the dwarves might have overlooked, I suppose, and trying to tidy up the mess they left in their wake.

2. Grumpy - I mean, Dwalin.

3. Hoot like some sort of owl, I think. Was it a barn owl? Screech? Digger from 'Legend of the Guardians'?

4. Tom, Bert and William (Bill), I think.

5. A Burrahobbit?

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 28 2013, 8:42pm

Post #13 of 76 (3375 views)
Shortcut
Does it like games :-)? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yay! Thanks for bringing back SAST, Roheryn. I know I'll be warming up the Mediocrity Bench - if I can even get that far! :-).

Tut-tutting as he sharpens the knives back up.

Thorin!

"Click your hobbit heels three times…"

Tom, Bert and ... Elroy.

A burrahobbit.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 28 2013, 9:02pm

Post #14 of 76 (3377 views)
Shortcut
Games? We love games, doesn't we, precious? [In reply to] Can't Post

I last read this book maybe 20 years ago, but of course my recollections of every detail are as sharp as ever! Mwahahaha!!

He is cleaning up.

Erm, specifics. Of course I remember specifics! Having washed the dishes and the floors and the table and laundered his doilies (those he did not just have to toss as unsalvageable), he is dusting the pantry and getting out the few remaining crumbs while sighing over the shopping he will need to do to replace it all.

Bombur, of course! He is confident that a few months adventuring is just the thing needed to bring back the lean and lanky figure of his youth, so he has packed his "skinny cloak". Since the diet and exercise programme has not yet achieved the desired effect, he can loan it to Bilbo.

Bilbo is to hoot like an owl.

I rather suspect this question is intended to make me refer to brown owls and barn owls so that people can mock my weak-minded susceptibility to Jackson's movie versions. I'm not falling for it! (And anyway, there is no way I'd be confusing Thorin with any other dwarf, even Kili).

Bert, Tom, and William.

"A Burrahobbit".

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 28 2013, 9:07pm

Post #15 of 76 (3362 views)
Shortcut
Am wondering this myself: [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
One more question: Is it ok to read the book between quizzes? I mean, after I've answered this week and before I read next week's quiz, for example?

I did buy it for my new Kindle along with LotR. Read the latter, which I do regularly, but somehow never got around to "Hobbit" yet...

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2013, 9:28pm

Post #16 of 76 (3357 views)
Shortcut
Of course! Read away! [In reply to] Can't Post

Since I'll cover the chapters in random order, you never know which one the next quiz will be on, and by all means, if you want to read the book, have at it! Just no peeking between reading the questions for a quiz and posting your answers. Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 28 2013, 10:13pm

Post #17 of 76 (3364 views)
Shortcut
Ah, just like old times! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, Ro! These should be as easy as pie...with a slice or two removed! Angelic

Specifically? He was just sitting down to a nice second-breakfast, consisting of: two soft-boiled eggs in matching egg cups; three rashers of bacon cooked nice and crispy; one blueberry scone with fresh-churned butter and blackberry jam; a bowl of baked Great Northern beans with scallions, molasses, and of course more bacon (nice and crispy and crumbled); a stack of buckwheat pancakes dripping with more fresh-churned butter and syrup drawn and boiled from sap from his own maple trees; a gammon rasher, cooked to perfection and topped with apple chutney; a plate of red-and-green cabbage slaw, seasoned with celery root, dill, and basil (but not too much); a cup of sliced grapes in soured cream; and a jug of hot - what was the question? Oh, he never got a chance to eat it at all, Gandalf shoved him out the door, then appraised the situation, and that is why the wizard joined the group quite a bit later on.

Fili and Kili originally offerred theirs, which were closest to Bilbo's size, but the hobbit found the latest fad colours among young Dwarves to be a little off-putting (orange and chartreuse paisleys among hot pink and electric blue stripes), so he opted for Dwalin's plain forest green.

Text "i n3d u", tweet "in deep #trolltrouble", and take a pic and post it on Facebook.
(Hoot once like a barn-owl and twice like a hoot-owl, or something like that!)

Mark, William, and Peter. (Ro, please give IEC to whoever understands this! Wink)
(Bert, Tom, and William.)

"What atrocious use of the English language, and by single-headed Trolls no less! The correct question should be: "To which species do you belong?"
("A burr- a hobbit".)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 28 2013, 10:20pm

Post #18 of 76 (3362 views)
Shortcut
Aww, what a sweet Dwarf! [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn of Penns Woods would be so proud of Ori! Evil

And I didn't know a moa could "hoot"...? Shocked

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 28 2013, 10:23pm

Post #19 of 76 (3362 views)
Shortcut
*snicker* [In reply to] Can't Post

William, Bert, and Ernie - now I'm going to have a changed perception of what those Trolls really looked like! Laugh

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 28 2013, 10:31pm

Post #20 of 76 (3354 views)
Shortcut
i studied, honest! [In reply to] Can't Post

Having a massive heart attack at the mess the partiers left.

The one that had the extra hood.

"When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout."

Moe, Larry, and Curly.

Church of the Latter Day Saints, would you like a copy of our pamplet?

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 28 2013, 10:39pm

Post #21 of 76 (3343 views)
Shortcut
Hope I'm not too late (again!) [In reply to] Can't Post

If I were fashionable, I could be fashionably late. If I were...

1. Bilbo is having a second breakfast after cleaning up after the Dwarves' breakfast.

2. I think Dwalin? The cloak is green.

3. Uh oh. "Hoot twice like a brown owl and once like a screech owl". Lol

4. William, Tom, Bert. Last name Huggins, I believe.

5. A Burrahobbit.

Whew! That was fun!

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 28 2013, 10:47pm

Post #22 of 76 (3343 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I see how it is... [In reply to] Can't Post

I study my guts out and others are giving MUCH more entertaining answers. Now if only I were as funny as I am fashionable Cool

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 28 2013, 11:09pm

Post #23 of 76 (3361 views)
Shortcut
*dies laughing* [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, man, you guys are funny!!

I'm in tears and pain over some of these answers. I think the best answer has to be to the "What was Bilbo doing" question. 'THORIN!"

I see there are fanfic writers in the group. Wink

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Jan 29 2013, 12:40am

Post #24 of 76 (3334 views)
Shortcut
SAST quiz # 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Question # 1 Bilbo is eating breakfast and thinking

Question # 2 Balin

Question # 3 Hoot once like a brown owl, hoot twice like a barn owl

Question # 4 William, Bert , and Tom

Question # 5 A bur- a hobbit

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 29 2013, 1:22am

Post #25 of 76 (3329 views)
Shortcut
Who's to say they didn't? >:D [In reply to] Can't Post

They could also plait flax leaves with intricate detailing for their five-yearly mating rituals.

Angelic

Ataahua's stories

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.