Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bolg? Where?

MistyMountain
Lorien

Jan 28 2013, 5:07pm

Post #1 of 21 (1230 views)
Shortcut
Bolg? Where? Can't Post

Okay, during my 6th viewing, I made the ultimate sacrifice (I'm sure you'll agree ladies) and took my eyes off Thorin during the whole Anulzibar (sp?) sequence and searched the background for any sign of Bolg. I could see lots of Gundabad orcs but none clearly looked like the images I've seen of Bolg. Granted I was not at a HFR screening so that made the scene rather blurry but I swear I could not see him! I know it will be next to impossible to describe when (if?) he is onscreen but any clues to look for next time?
I may just have to wait until the DVD comes out and someone can capture a screenshot.

Arandir
Gondor

Jan 28 2013, 5:15pm

Post #2 of 21 (757 views)
Shortcut
The best time to spot him [In reply to] Can't Post

is when Thorin cries "To arms! To arms" in Khuzdul and charges the orcs. After a couple of shots, there is a medium shot of Dwalin stabbing Bolg (slightly towards the mid-right of the screen) in the back.

At first, it was all too quick, but once I knew he was there somewhere the shot actually seemed longer ... so it'll give you a chance to spot him right in front of the camera!Laugh

Hope it helps Smile

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

(This post was edited by Arandir on Jan 28 2013, 5:17pm)

grinman
Rivendell

Jan 28 2013, 5:15pm

Post #3 of 21 (855 views)
Shortcut
heeeeeeeerreeee's Bolg! [In reply to] Can't Post

At about 00:30, Dwalin is going to work on him..

[link edited out - can't link to pirated copies, or excepts, of the movie. Thanks] -- Altaira

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 28 2013, 7:39pm)

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 28 2013, 5:16pm

Post #4 of 21 (666 views)
Shortcut
Don't know how you could do it.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Every subsequent viewing for me has been to see if I could see more of Thorin XD

cats16
Valinor

Jan 28 2013, 5:18pm

Post #5 of 21 (639 views)
Shortcut
Yep, same here [In reply to] Can't Post

My last two viewings, I frantically looked everywhere for him. Looked hard for Dwalin too. I think Dwalin's pre-balding hair makes him harder to recognizeSmile

My best guess is that they are fighting to the right of Azog in the beginning of the scene. Someone correct me if that's completely wrong

MistyMountain
Lorien

Jan 28 2013, 5:51pm

Post #6 of 21 (715 views)
Shortcut
THAT'S Bolg? [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess he has yet to acquire the metal plates in his head? And he cannot be killed in this scene as we know he still has a part to play later on (unless his death explains Azog's hatred of Thorin -- though that would beg the question: why reverse the events of the book, i.e., Azog being killed and Bolg vowing vengence on the line of Durin?) Ack! I hope we get a logical explanation in the next 2 films.

Bellerock
Rivendell

Jan 28 2013, 6:23pm

Post #7 of 21 (568 views)
Shortcut
Is that Dain? [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a question. I know that people have identified the dwarf with the mohawk who is fighting Bolg as Dwalin. But I had the impression that was actually Dain. Any thoughts?

Arandir
Gondor

Jan 28 2013, 6:28pm

Post #8 of 21 (556 views)
Shortcut
No Dain yet unfortunately ... [In reply to] Can't Post

the mohawk dwarf is clearly Dwalin - especially when we see the gentle head-butt between him and Balin at the end of the fighting (similar to the scene at the start of the Unexpected Party)

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 28 2013, 6:30pm

Post #9 of 21 (587 views)
Shortcut
It looks like there's another Orc Boss in that scene as well [In reply to] Can't Post

just before the Bolg fighting with Dwalin bit (it has to be Dwalin!)

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jan 28 2013, 6:30pm)

Bellerock
Rivendell

Jan 28 2013, 6:36pm

Post #10 of 21 (530 views)
Shortcut
Good Point [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right about the head butt. But Dain has to have been at that battle. I just may have to go watch the movie again to see if I can spot him . . . darn Smile

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 28 2013, 6:40pm

Post #11 of 21 (511 views)
Shortcut
Dain is not listed as a character for AUJ in IMDB.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Bellerock
Rivendell

Jan 28 2013, 7:10pm

Post #12 of 21 (523 views)
Shortcut
From the Appendices [In reply to] Can't Post

We know that it was Dain Ironfoot who "Right before the doors (of Moria) caught Azog, and there he slew him, and hewed off his head."

Clearly this history has been changed a bit for the movies, but I'm sure Dain was still at that battle, even if I can't pick him out of the crowd.

Radagast's Lead Bunny
Rivendell

Jan 28 2013, 7:36pm

Post #13 of 21 (497 views)
Shortcut
bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

So Bolg won't appear in the other episodes ?

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 28 2013, 7:49pm

Post #14 of 21 (496 views)
Shortcut
Bolg UD [In reply to] Can't Post

Bolg the Un-Dead will be back.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 28 2013, 8:24pm

Post #15 of 21 (474 views)
Shortcut
No need for zombie orcs. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Bolg didn't have to die in that scene. That's probably where he got the scars that require the metal bits in his final look to keep his skull in one piece. The orcish medicine is pretty damn advanced, so they certainly had the means to keep him alive if Dwalin didn't finish the job.

I'm not fond of the idea of reanimated orcs simply because it's an unwanted and unnecessary complication to the plot. if they don't add something concrete to the story, then they can just as well be ordinary orcs.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 28 2013, 8:27pm

Post #16 of 21 (440 views)
Shortcut
Not sure what you mean here... [In reply to] Can't Post

If you mean, Dain was at that battle in Tolkien's additional background writings and so you prefer to imagine that he was there somewhere fighting even while he was not doing what Tolkien specified he was doing (slaying Azog Sly) that makes all the sense in the world. If Dain were a favorite character of mine I would feel the same way.

If you mean you are really trying to find him when you watch the AUJ movie - the actor Billy Connolly, who will play him in the next two films, is not credited as having been in AUJ, so I don't think he is there to find. Certainly it is possible that he is there in the filmverse in the sense that his being there might be referenced later (e. g. when Thorin starts sending him messages about events at Erebor he, Balin, and Dwalin might reminisce about Dain's feats in that battle, or there might even be later flashbacks to the same battle that will be seen in later movies as part of introducing/fleshing out Dain for the audience, or similar).

Fishbug
The Shire

Jan 28 2013, 8:35pm

Post #17 of 21 (436 views)
Shortcut
Dwarven thoroughness [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

Bolg didn't have to die in that scene. That's probably where he got the scars that require the metal bits in his final look to keep his skull in one piece. The orcish medicine is pretty damn advanced, so they certainly had the means to keep him alive if Dwalin didn't finish the job.

I'm not fond of the idea of reanimated orcs simply because it's an unwanted and unnecessary complication to the plot. if they don't add something concrete to the story, then they can just as well be ordinary orcs.

It's bad enough that Thorin thinks that Azog is absolutely certainly dead because he cut off his arm and he was immediately taken into the care of his people. Now Dwalin can't make sure a job is finished? If a Dwarf doesn't know how hard to axe an Orc in the back to kill them, they probably shouldn't have been brought to the battle.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 28 2013, 9:58pm

Post #18 of 21 (399 views)
Shortcut
I thought this up on another thread [In reply to] Can't Post

However, just to throw gasoline on the flames, I thought it would be interesting to kill off Azog with Bolg. After all, Dad blew it twice, time for big bad sonny-boy to knock off the old geezer and take over the army to crush those miserable dwarves once and for all.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jan 28 2013, 10:29pm

Post #19 of 21 (368 views)
Shortcut
Implying that Rambo-Dwalin didn't finish the job?! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The orcish medicine is pretty damn advanced, so they certainly had the means to keep him alive if Dwalin didn't finish the job.

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

Oin's parasite
Rivendell

Jan 29 2013, 1:36am

Post #20 of 21 (354 views)
Shortcut
It's just another Orc with a beard... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I keep saying haha.

"I've got parasites as big as my arm!"

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jan 29 2013, 5:47am)

Bellerock
Rivendell

Jan 29 2013, 5:54pm

Post #21 of 21 (303 views)
Shortcut
Sorry for the confusion [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If you mean, Dain was at that battle in Tolkien's additional background writings and so you prefer to imagine that he was there somewhere fighting even while he was not doing what Tolkien specified he was doing (slaying Azog Sly) that makes all the sense in the world. If Dain were a favorite character of mine I would feel the same way.

Yes, I do mean that I am imagining him in the background. Of course I realize that if the character was not filmed I will not see him in the movie. But that's the beauty of Tolkien's world and it's history. It is so vast and rich that there are always interesting things happening just off the edge of the page or, in this case, the screen.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.