Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

deej
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2013, 2:37pm

Post #1 of 57 (572 views)
Shortcut
What movies did you watch this weekend? Can't Post

Tell us about them here!

"The Hobbits bowed low. 'Most gracious host', said Frodo, 'It was said to me by Elrond Half-Elven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. Certainly I have found no such friendship as you have shown. To have found it turns evil to great good."

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 28 2013, 3:43pm

Post #2 of 57 (251 views)
Shortcut
well... how about last night's episode of Downton Abbey **SPOILERS** [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't been gaga loving DA but last night's episode was pretty moving. I had been spoiled for Sybil's death so it wasn't a shock. I thought the portrayal of her death and the reactions of all the characters were very well done. Especially so Cora and Violet... to a great extent Edith... and then the staff.

Interestingly, watching all the characters face and deal with it, I was the least interested in Mary's character. I just don't find anything to like about the woman and she's the most popular with fans. I guess it's that personality type that keeps me in the small minority of any opinion. I am way more interested in watching Edith than Mary. But then, Mary is really stuck in the role of aristocracy. She's what we would call a 'snoot'. And I have never liked entitled snoots.

And I'm about done caring about Bates. This line smacks of a dozen shows that have to have some underlying conspiracy to fuss about. It's a formula and we all know and, to some extent, accept formulas but I'm getting kind of weary with this trend. They are going to have to come up with some truly amazing reason why the guard and the other prisoner care so much about keeping Bates oppressed for me to find this story line satisfying.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 28 2013, 4:31pm

Post #3 of 57 (232 views)
Shortcut
Yes, how about it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was also spoiled for Sybil's death, but that didn't make it any less moving for me, either. Sybil was probably the most interesting sister, too. And poor Branson. I wonder if Sybil's last words to her mother, telling Cora to fight for them, will have any effect on whether or not Branson is allowed to raise the baby Catholic. I also wonder if Lord Grantham will use this as an opportunity to get rid of Branson and raise the child at Downton. Seems like now that Sybil is gone, there is no reason for the character of Branson to hang around. Unless they want to get into the Catholic vs. Protestant stuff, which I can't see happening to any great extent.

One thing I did like about the reaction of the servants was Thomas. He seemed genuinely to care for Sybil and it gave a nice bit of humanity to the character. He raised a few points in my estimation. But he's definitely headed somewhere unpleasant with the new footman.

I'm not a huge fan of Mary, either. She's definitely slipping quite well into the role of Lady of the Manor, and I didn't like how she got onto Matthew for speaking with the lawyer regarding the financial state of Downton. She claims to want to save Downton, but doesn't seem to want to do anything practical about it. Well, I guess she'll have a good guilt-fest when Matthew is killed off.

Yeah, the other prisoner seems too interested in the affairs of Bates. It can't be simply because Bates semi-choked him up against the wall. That's more like survival stuff that would go on anyway. But, then again, what else has that guy got to do with himself all day, but scheme against a hated fellow prisoner. I just don't get why the guard should care so much.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 28 2013, 4:55pm

Post #4 of 57 (241 views)
Shortcut
Mary... [In reply to] Can't Post

"she claims to want to save Downton, but doesn't seem to want to do anything practical about it."

Yes... it's all about appearances and protocol and tradition. She seems her father's daughter in that: if they all look as if they're all together, that will be enough. To *work* at being a successful manor (or whatever it is) or successful family is beneath them.

Matthew touched on this when he talked about being 'working class.' I think these can be interesting story lines if the writer(s) give us a better sense of motivation. Help us understand why Robert is neglecting the property. Help us understand why Mary is so invested in Matthew not rocking the boat.

For that matter, help us understand why Mary would mostly rebuff Edith on Sybil's death bed. I mean, even those of us with serious family issues can find ourselves wishing and hoping we could repair them at extreme, meaningful moments like this. And I know that Mary and Edith have history. But the way the story has played out, they haven't maintained this highly charged dislike or anger or resentment towards each other. Can Mary not have one moment when she would wish their relationship could be better?

I just don't ever feel like I truly understand why some (many?) characters behave the way they do. I'm from a different time, a different country, and a different class from the characters in Austen's stories but I always feel like I understand what drives them (or the primary characters, anyhow)... what they feel... what they think limits them... what they want or hope for.

Although I get glimpses of this for some characters in DA, I don't get it for many. And I NEED that to understand some of the plot lines that are challenging credulity for me. I mean, maybe it makes perfect sense to some people (I'm looking at you, Julian Alexander Kitchener-Fellowes, Baron Fellowes of West Stafford DL)... but it doesn't to me. Get me behind the facade that the aristocracy shows to the world and help me understand their motivations.

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 28 2013, 5:07pm

Post #5 of 57 (251 views)
Shortcut
Middle Class [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they'd have an excellent story line if they'd explore the burgeoning middle class vs. the declining aristocracy. That is Matthew and Mary's relationship in a nutshell. Mary is desperate to save Downton, even berating Matthew over his reluctance to accept the legacy from Lavinia's father. Matthew has done what was asked of him by Lord Downton, even, to have a look at the books. Now that he has done so, he just gets grief for trying to fix things. If Downton is to be saved, some "work" will have to happen.

It's what goes on today. Highclere was a large estate, itself. Now they've got to rent it out to tv productions to pay the taxes and upkeep. I'd love for them to dovetail Highclere's story with Downton's.

The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 28 2013, 6:19pm

Post #6 of 57 (232 views)
Shortcut
Mama and Darker than Black [In reply to] Can't Post

Mama is a GDT produced film based on a short of the same name. The story goes that GDT saw the short (on YourTube?) and contacted the director, offering to produce a longer version of it, and offering to let the guy who made the short direct it. Kind of cool when stuff like that happens.

It offers some good scares without being gory (PG-13) while exploring themes such as loss and recovery (or not) and of course motherhood. The film's strength is in its production design, apart from the cgi which I do not believe was intended to wow anyone (not with a budget of $15m anyway). Jessica Chastain and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau both turned in excellent performances... and neither are hard on the eyes as they say. In short it is a great looking film. I should ad that it has a European (Spanish) though it is quite accessible to NA audiences. Everyone I know who've seen it thought it quite good. Check it out!

Darker than Black is an anime series from 2007. It has the mix of quirkiness, compelling characters and complex story lines that usually suck me right in. Glad I gave it a shot... I'm on the 8th episode out of 27 I think.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jan 28 2013, 6:23pm)

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 28 2013, 6:44pm

Post #7 of 57 (216 views)
Shortcut
Bates [In reply to] Can't Post

The only conspiracy theories we could come up with about a bigger need to keep Bates out of the picture is something about O'Brien knowing more about that whole situation than we are led to believe. She has some places where she's listening in on Bates/Anna and Mr.s Bates them that don't lead to anything. Either that or we originally thought that Carlisle had more to do with it than we originally thought. However, he's not in Season 3 at all, so unless that's a reveal down the line in Season 4, that's a dead end.

So far, though, pleased with Season 3. The death was well done, and the most moving line about it was actually Carson to Mrs. Hughes. A single line, perfectly delivered.

Other than DA viewing, finally got to see Life of Pi. Also beautiful and moving. It's a very layered film, and depending on your age, you get different things out of the resolution. Ang Lee is quite brilliant with this one.

Patty
Immortal

Jan 28 2013, 6:52pm

Post #8 of 57 (217 views)
Shortcut
AE, Have you seen any more of Downton season three then just what was on last night? [In reply to] Can't Post

If so, I will send you a PM.

Permanent address: Into the West

Patty
Immortal

Jan 28 2013, 6:53pm

Post #9 of 57 (219 views)
Shortcut
Dr. Clarkson would choose this time [In reply to] Can't Post

To be right.Heart

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 28 2013, 7:02pm

Post #10 of 57 (217 views)
Shortcut
how are you watching the anime series? [In reply to] Can't Post

youtube? dvd? Netflix streaming? Amazon streaming?

I'm just curious because I saw Amazon streaming just added a bunch of anime to their offerings. I'm not a huge anime fan but I can get curious about series recommended by people I know.

Patty
Immortal

Jan 28 2013, 7:03pm

Post #11 of 57 (217 views)
Shortcut
Bates's story is unsatisfying, but [In reply to] Can't Post

To me at least it is believable. Certainly more believable then if hr had quickly gotten out. The evidence was against him, and so for him to get out right away just really would have been contrary to how slowly the wheels of justice turn It's annoying but hopefully it will be changed soon.

Of course I already knew that J B F wanted to leave the show. As Julian Fellows has said elsewhere about a different subject- When young people want to leave the show, there's not a whole lot of ways that you can show them leaving if they are an important member of the family other than dying. Sybil's death in childbirth or shortly after was not uncommon in those days and so it was also unbelievable.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 28 2013, 7:10pm

Post #12 of 57 (210 views)
Shortcut
did you mean to say.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sybil's death in childbirth or shortly after was not uncommon in those days and so it was also unbelievable.

did you mean to say it was also unbelievable or believable? I know it was not uncommon to die in childbirth so I found it very believable.

In fact, while doing genealogy, I found a young boy with a different last name all of a sudden appearing in the household of an ancestor. After further research, I realized that the daughter of the head of household had married, moved next door with her husband, had a baby and died during or just after childbirth. This child must have been taken in by the grandparents and showed up in their household in the next census. I was thinking of that as I watched last night.

There was a moment in a past show where Bates had to get all tough and menacing with his cell mate and said something (can't remember the exact words) that implied that guy should be afraid of him since he had been convicted of murder. At that moment, I begin to wonder if Bates had really killed his wife. Not because he was so terrible but because she was and she was jeopardizing too many people. (in a culture where just being the same house as a past prostitute would ruin someone)

Now I thought that could be a really clever plot line! But they don't seem to be following up on that so I don't think it meant anything.

Patty
Immortal

Jan 28 2013, 7:10pm

Post #13 of 57 (225 views)
Shortcut
You know that the guard and another prisoner, Craig I think his name was [In reply to] Can't Post

Are running contraband, and they want to Bates to come in with them IIRC, but he is too "pious". This leads to major disliking problems between the two of them. Of course they try to get Bates caught for doing that even though he isn't doing it, but fortunately due to another prisoners intervention he gets away from their trap.

Is it just me or is the sound quality bad during the beginnings of this prison scene? I had to listen to it several times before I could figure out was what was going on.

Patty
Immortal

Jan 28 2013, 7:12pm

Post #14 of 57 (211 views)
Shortcut
Oh sorry, I didn't mean to say believable. [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, dictating to Siri can be a problem sometimes.Sly

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 28 2013, 7:13pm

Post #15 of 57 (211 views)
Shortcut
I didn't catch that and don't have sound to blame [In reply to] Can't Post

...since I used cc.

But... why would they be so pissed at him that they would go after a witness that could get him out. Keeping him in prison doesn't help them. It only satisfies their sense of revenge. But keeping him in prison might actually hinder them if he's not onboard. It would seem they would torment him while they could and then let him go if he got out. I just don't buy that they would machinate and conspire to this level.. reaching outside the prison.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 28 2013, 7:15pm

Post #16 of 57 (224 views)
Shortcut
still confused [In reply to] Can't Post

you didn't mean to say believable? But you didn't say believable. You said unbelievable.

lol..

I think I know what you mean.

Patty
Immortal

Jan 28 2013, 7:24pm

Post #17 of 57 (207 views)
Shortcut
Aha! I really need to accept techno-defeat and get off the iPad and back on the computer... [In reply to] Can't Post

Typing is so much easier there than either dictating to Siri or trying to type on this little keypad. Mad

Patty
Immortal

Jan 28 2013, 7:27pm

Post #18 of 57 (205 views)
Shortcut
Another bit of illogical plot lines by Mr. Fellows I guess. [In reply to] Can't Post

He seems to have his characters do a lot of stuff for revenge. Even when it is not in their best interest.

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 28 2013, 7:40pm

Post #19 of 57 (201 views)
Shortcut
I've seen the first three episodes [In reply to] Can't Post

that have aired on PBS so far. I also know what happens to Matthew, so don't be afraid to spoil! PM away! Laugh

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 28 2013, 7:43pm

Post #20 of 57 (210 views)
Shortcut
I never could figure out [In reply to] Can't Post

what they had hidden in Bates's bed. It looked like a wad of that hay-like stuff they pack wine bottles in...excelsior?

I also never got that they had any influence on the witness.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 28 2013, 7:51pm

Post #21 of 57 (209 views)
Shortcut
Netflix [In reply to] Can't Post

my niece has a free account through Xbox Live.

If you want to give the genre a whirl, I can recommend Darker than Black as it's hardly convoluted; that is, it has been quite accessible so far. There are some anime-isms especially when it comes to rendering emotions (i.e. use of symbols, colour, beads of sweat). Actually the language of anime is surprisingly standardized, and where it is not, it is easy enough to figure out.

Anyway, a really good introduction to the genre would be Full Metal Alchemist, Season 1 (season 2 not so much). It is quite popular and for good reason.

Or another of my favourites which I recommend without hesitation to anyone interested in the genre is Samurai 7 (2004). It's a straight shot of 26 episodes, very well done and engaging imho. A re-visioning of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai -- itself a model for the Magnificent Seven -- it is actually billed as Akira Kurosawa's Samurai 7, which is saying a lot in Japan, if not globally.

As an added bonus, I thought two of the main characters (Kambei and Shichiroji) were modelled on Aragorn and Legolas somewhat (given its release date it would not surprise me in the least). Now that I think of it, the story does have similar bones as LOTR, though they are set in different worlds. Samurai 7 is sort of an alternate history/future of feudal Japan, for instance if history had played out differently from a certain point in the past and then well into the future.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jan 28 2013, 7:55pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 28 2013, 8:02pm

Post #22 of 57 (209 views)
Shortcut
* "...add that it has a European (Spanish) sensibility..." d'oh // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 28 2013, 8:05pm

Post #23 of 57 (194 views)
Shortcut
I'll take a look and see what Amazon has // [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Jan 28 2013, 8:16pm

Post #24 of 57 (213 views)
Shortcut
I imagine that's just what they used to pack the stuff in. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's entirely possible that I read this on the Internet. Of course, I do have both Downton books as well.Evil

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 28 2013, 10:37pm

Post #25 of 57 (195 views)
Shortcut
Ah, good---I'm glad y'all are discussing this *more spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank goodness I knew what was going to happen to Sybil in this episode, or I would have been very upset. It was still wrenching. I wonder how many people did what I did today, google "eclampsia", a condition I remember hearing about during my own pregnancies way the hey many years ago but otherwise knew nothing about it other than that it involved high blood pressure. It turns out that it's more common among young women in their first pregnancy. Although it's very unusual (today, at least) for a woman to actually die of it.

My husband's great grandmother died in childbirth around the turn of the last century, and my own grandmother was the only one of a pair of twins to survive birth (same time period). We think of such deaths as belonging to the past, but an acquaintance of an acquaintance recently lost her sister-in-law in childbirth. The fact that this is a much rarer event today didn't help their feelings, I bet.

I agree that Mary is a pill, but I do think she was a bit warmer to Edith there at Sybil's bedside. Now it's just the two of them, of course. We'll see where this all goes, as well as Cora's blaming Robert for Sybil's death.

I agree that it was a humanizing moment first for Thomas Barrow to say that of all the above-stairs folk, he felt closest to Sybil because of their work in the hospital during the war, and then for him to grieve for her. I almost (but not quite) feel sorry for him for the plot O'Brien is coiling around him.

I don't think Tom Branson will abandon his child to the Granthams. He's lost his wife and effectively lost his country---he may well focus all his attention on her (the baby).

I haven't followed the events with Bates and his cellmate very well either. The dialog isn't very clear and I couldn't figure out what Bates was hiding in his hand. I'm glad we're finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with this sub-plot because it's dragged on too long for my taste. I, too, strongly dislike underlying conspiracies that are dragged in simply to drag out the story.

I'm glad to see Anna now officially a lady's maid in her black dress.

It's infuriating to see the attitudes toward poor Ethel, but they're typical of the times. Sometimes Isabel is a bit too officious, but at least she's trying to help Ethel.

DA may be a soap opera, but it's a classy one, and keeps drawing me back in!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.