Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Box office update
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2013, 8:33pm

Post #1 of 40 (2055 views)
Shortcut
Box office update Can't Post

New worldwide total: $939.5m

North America: $293.2m
Overseas: $646.3m

It passed TTT.

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 27 2013, 9:14pm

Post #2 of 40 (930 views)
Shortcut
Looking good. [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like we don't need 60 + million from China to make it break 1 billion. 30-40 million there should be enough...

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2013, 9:20pm

Post #3 of 40 (943 views)
Shortcut
Weekend grosses [In reply to] Can't Post

North America: $3.3m (-46%)
Overseas: $7.3m (-45%)

Will probably end its run with $300m - $302m in North America and $665m - $670m overseas from current markets. It will need at least $35m from China to hit $1b. Should be doable.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Jan 27 2013, 9:21pm)

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 27 2013, 9:32pm

Post #4 of 40 (908 views)
Shortcut
After the first week [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember some gloom & doom talk about the film not even reaching 900 million and that to pass the 1 billion mark, an enormous China gross was needed. Looks like that was inaccurate!

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Jan 27 2013, 9:38pm

Post #5 of 40 (887 views)
Shortcut
looking good for the hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 27 2013, 9:47pm

Post #6 of 40 (885 views)
Shortcut
Funny it was out of top ten this weekend [In reply to] Can't Post

Because the showing I went to Saturday night was packed. People were searching for seats.

May be time to goose receipts with a post movie teaser?

Welsh hero
Gondor

Jan 27 2013, 9:55pm

Post #7 of 40 (834 views)
Shortcut
done more than two towers // [In reply to] Can't Post

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 27 2013, 10:18pm

Post #8 of 40 (849 views)
Shortcut
I also went to a showing... [In reply to] Can't Post

...on Friday night (admittedly, though, the streets were dead because we had bad weather). I went to the only 3D HFR version left in our area, and it had at least 20 people in there, despite the bad weather. Most of the theaters have lost it completely now, though.

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 27 2013, 11:02pm

Post #9 of 40 (786 views)
Shortcut
Indeed looking good [In reply to] Can't Post

It did about what I was hoping for this weekend. I'd say about 302 millionin NA is the end point as was mentioned which is alright. Everything is going in the right direction as a whole for ole mo to be good for film two. Should also get to 1.1 billion I believe WW.

cats16
Valinor

Jan 27 2013, 11:20pm

Post #10 of 40 (864 views)
Shortcut
The fact that [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ should pass $1B after China is a GREAT achievement, considering that 2012 had one of the most competitive end-of-the-year box office totals in recent memory. Jam packed with popular releases.

I would say that this will be the least successful of the three films, considering that this upcoming winter looks to be relatively empty in terms of scheduled releases (I know it's early). Word of mouth after dvd sales should help quite a bit.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Jan 28 2013, 12:25am

Post #11 of 40 (683 views)
Shortcut
Yeah that would be great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see why they wouldn't do it! They have the footage for the sequels unlike most movie series, and it would really urge many fans to go see it again (including myself). It would have been better to do it a couple weeks ago though when box office numbers were higher. I think they blew it but maybe they have a reason (I'm not and expert with these things at all).

And yeah, there are still a lot of people seeing the movie, but the numbers are really decreasing. I went yesterday and there were lots of people but I think it was just because the film went out of the regular theater in town and it's now at the 3 dollar matinee ticket one. Tongue

"I have found it is in the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keep the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I am afraid, and he gives me courage." - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir. You are not alone. If ever you should need my help, I will come." -Lady Galadriel.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Jan 28 2013, 12:29am

Post #12 of 40 (760 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

That both desolation and there and back again should increase in the box office more and more. I think in the end these movies will be considered very succesful, and I think that the critics will do a complete 180 when the big dragon comes this december!

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Jan 28 2013, 12:30am)

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 28 2013, 1:14am

Post #13 of 40 (747 views)
Shortcut
They'll probably blame PJ in their about face. [In reply to] Can't Post

The story will be that they would have liked the film but he distracted them with his evil HFR.

In Reply To
That both desolation and there and back again should increase in the box office more and more. I think in the end these movies will be considered very succesful, and I think that the critics will do a complete 180 when the big dragon comes this december!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 28 2013, 1:14am

Post #14 of 40 (658 views)
Shortcut
Same crowds here [In reply to] Can't Post

One big theater by me is still doing four shows a day, not an empty seat yet and we've been to two out of the four times in the last week.

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 28 2013, 1:27am

Post #15 of 40 (659 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to go to another theater(just a few miles further away than my usual one), in order to see it in 3D. My theater only shows it in 2D now. But the aggravating thing is, the JUST stopped showing it in HFR. On Thursday! ARGH!! Why don't they wait till the last showing on Sunday to stop a certain showing?? That way, people have one more weekend to see it!

*sighs* At least I got to see it in 3D.

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 28 2013, 2:07am

Post #16 of 40 (621 views)
Shortcut
They always stop showing movies on Thursday... [In reply to] Can't Post

That gives them the ability to put a new movie in the theater for the weekend. I was actually surprised they still had it, tbh. But I figured I might as well see it one more time while I could.

Source: my sister, carmike GM

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 28 2013, 2:35am

Post #17 of 40 (614 views)
Shortcut
That makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

still a bummer not to get to see it once more in HFR. Unsure

mefansmum
Rivendell

Jan 28 2013, 3:07am

Post #18 of 40 (591 views)
Shortcut
It's not fair!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to go again but the 3D version in the exact same theatre as I saw it in HFR before is no longer screening it with HFR. Mad

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2013, 3:23am

Post #19 of 40 (639 views)
Shortcut
Great news! [In reply to] Can't Post

It should be interesting to see how it fares in China. It look's like the decision to have SkyFall and The Hobbit premiere on different weekends is literally paying off so far for SkyFall.

Here's to The Hobbit having a great run in China!

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

vincent_1988

Jan 28 2013, 7:02am

Post #20 of 40 (586 views)
Shortcut
about the boxoffice in china [In reply to] Can't Post

North America: $3.3m (-46%)
Overseas: $7.3m (-45%)

Will probably end its run with $300m - $302m in North America and $665m - $670m overseas from current markets. It will need at least $35m from China to hit $1b. Should be doable.

Hi everyone,i'm from china.First,sorry for my poor english,hope you can understand my words.
the lord of the rings succed in China ten years ago, I'm sure the boxoffice will reach 1b after the hobbit opens in China next month. i came to HongKong to watch AUJ in Dec. and the film was fantastic,i will probably wath 3 more times in mainland china. lots of people want to see this movie,and the advertisements appear in cinemas.But the pirated DVD are everywhere on the internet! it will definitely cause bad influence on the boxoffice,and,there's no 48fps in mainland china.

In Reply To

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2013, 10:02am

Post #21 of 40 (506 views)
Shortcut
Hi to China [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to hear there's some excitement for the film in your country. Skyfall should finish with about $60m, i hope Hobbit can match that.

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 28 2013, 2:18pm

Post #22 of 40 (403 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

No worries, your writing is easily understood :-). I'm so glad to hear the fans in China are excited too! Although there are pirated DVDs out there, it's not anything like watching it in a theater, even without 48fps or 3D. I'm hoping that watching those DVDs will just show people what a great movie it is and make them want to go out and see it properly in a theater with a big screen and beautiful music and sound and with other people enjoying it too!

Welcome to TORn, vincent_1988 - hope you decide to stay and join in the fun :-)!

Elk2013
The Shire

Jan 28 2013, 2:33pm

Post #23 of 40 (434 views)
Shortcut
From China too [In reply to] Can't Post

Lurking here for a while, hi to everyone!
The Chinese market has expanded hugely in recent years. CZ12, the newest film by Jacky Chan, has grabbed 135 million USD in one month. Skyfall opened here last Tuesday. I haven't see the BO report yet, but it is said the the first 3 days' number will reach 14m USD. As far as I know, Chinese audience are eager to see the Hobbit films and they LOVE LOTR films & 3D! Pirate DVD does have an effect on BO, but it will be less so for 3D films. Publishers issued a new version of the Hobbit book, and it was in bestseller TOP10. The novel even got serialized on some domestic newspapers. I guess AUJ would easily pass 60m.
The opening date is Feb 22nd, a week after the Chinese new year holiday, I think it's good period 'cause we're too busy to go to cinema in the new year. Competition will be tough though, Cloud Atlas on Jan 31st, Jack Eacher on Feb 16th, Les Mis on Feb 28th, but one ring will rule them all.

Elk2013
The Shire

Jan 28 2013, 2:39pm

Post #24 of 40 (402 views)
Shortcut
no 2D either [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
and,there's no 48fps in mainland china.

True. We only get 3D & 3DIMAX.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2013, 3:35pm

Post #25 of 40 (400 views)
Shortcut
And it made the top 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

in the US for 2012, passing the Twilight movie over the week-end.

We'll see if it can pass Skyfall (which is at $301.3 mil.) for 4th-- it'll be a squeaker!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.