Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Which character changed your mind about casting?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 27 2013, 4:40pm

Post #1 of 41 (1594 views)
Shortcut
Which character changed your mind about casting? Can't Post

I was wondering...PJ made many headlines when he cast against type for certain roles...I'm wondering, now that you've seen the films, who changed your mind? It could be for better or for worse. Who did you think would never do a good job, and did great; and who did you think would be great, but didn't turn out as well as you hoped?

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 27 2013, 4:51pm

Post #2 of 41 (967 views)
Shortcut
Ori was annoying [In reply to] Can't Post

He was a let-down. The others though I was very much pleased with, even Azog.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 27 2013, 4:56pm

Post #3 of 41 (938 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say Bilbo. Not because I thought Martin didn't fit or anything, but I wasn't sure whether he would be the Bilbo I pictured.

Let's just say I couldn't be more relieved that they waited for Martin because he's pitch perfect as Bilbo. He gave so much more than I had even expected. It's impossible not to love him. So I was never negative, just unsure. But I totally see what PJ saw when he casted him.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jan 27 2013, 5:05pm

Post #4 of 41 (924 views)
Shortcut
dwalin [In reply to] Can't Post

i feel all the more well known actors did there jobs brilliantly (for me thats ian,cate,mccoy,martin,lee,stott etc) and the less well known ones in essence were not as good!

the only new face i thought did a good job was dwalin.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Yva
Rivendell

Jan 27 2013, 5:11pm

Post #5 of 41 (865 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry I can't really answer this question [In reply to] Can't Post

because I had zero expectations with regard to the cast (as in I didn't quite care).
I wasn't super excited about the movie to begin with (I thought we were getting an average fantasy fairy-tale children's story) and I'm terribly embarrassed to admit that I hadn't known any of the dwarf actors prior to TH (I live in a non-English speaking country). I only knew Martin Freeman, I thought he would be great, and he ended up being even better (although I have seen some people having reservations about his performance, too).

However, what do you mean exactly by PJ casting against type for some of the roles, you mean the "young sexy human-looking dwarves" controversies I assume?

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2013, 5:32pm

Post #6 of 41 (853 views)
Shortcut
The casting was very successful in my eyes... [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf - Sir Ian McKellen is perfect for me. One of the greatest living actors (or greatest actors period).

Bilbo - Martin Freeman wasn't my first choice but I love him as Bilbo and honestly can't see anyone else in the role now. He won me over.

Thorin - Richard Armitage didn't seem to make sense from an age stand point at first but having seen his presence, I think he fits the character well. So far I have enjoyed his performance and I will be interested to see how it develops over the entire arc.

Balin - Ken Stott has incredible charm and subtlety. I think he fits well... hope to see more of him.

Dwalin - Graham McTavish. I'm kind of indifferent. I've seen him fight and be imposing and he delivers that but I'll wait to weigh in on his performance until I've seen more of him.

That's who I have time for right now... I'll give it some more thought.

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

(This post was edited by Owain on Jan 27 2013, 5:33pm)

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 27 2013, 5:37pm

Post #7 of 41 (860 views)
Shortcut
Thorin, hands down. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a very hard time picturing a RA as a dwarf, much less one as generally unlikeable as Thorin. I saw him as Bard. He pulled it off beautifully; I never once thought he wasn't a dwarf, and he came across as older than he is. He also brought a lot of nuance to someone who goes through the book as an SOB. I'm looking forward to what he's going to do going forward.

However, as much as I like Aidan Turner as Kili, I still don't see the dwarf (not like I do with Fili, for instance).

Kirly
Lorien

Jan 27 2013, 5:41pm

Post #8 of 41 (785 views)
Shortcut
I agree with this... [In reply to] Can't Post

As someone who avoided most news of AUJ prior to seeing it, the characters come alive for me. I found Ori a bit of an odd character for a dwarf but it's not a tremendous issue for me.

In fact, my first viewing of AUJ was much like my first viewing of FOTR. I didn't even know they were making FOTR until a few weeks before seeing it and I was convinced no one could ever film Tolkien; it was, in my mind, an impossible task. I was actually pushed into going to FOTR with a large group of friends. I was expecting a complete butchering of the movie and didn't expect any feeling of history for the various peoples of Middle earth. I came out of my first viewing of FOTR awestruck at the incredible portrayals - the characters, the history of the peoples, the sets, the landscape. The characters I found most amazing. Jackson had managed to capture on film the characters I had seen in my mind for decades. I couldn't believe it. I made a complete 180 and began to search for every tidbit of info. I even went so far as to go to New Zealand.

Since that worked out so well for me for FOTR, I decided to be patient, not search for news of casting or plot and just wait for AUJ. It was actually easier than it sounded considering real life events overwhelmed all energy for the last 2 years. AUJ did not disappoint. Now, when i read or think about the book, the characters and locations are as depicted in the movie. I am not disappointed at all and love AUJ.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jan 27 2013, 5:56pm

Post #9 of 41 (831 views)
Shortcut
Dean O' Gorman [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Rob was perfectly cast as Fili, and when he dropped out and Dead was announced I "hated" him mostly of principle, but during the production vlogs and in the final film I learned to love him as Kili!

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

Angharad73
Rohan

Jan 27 2013, 7:26pm

Post #10 of 41 (763 views)
Shortcut
Pleasantly surprised [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't have any expectations of the actors, really, before watching the movie. Some I knew, some I had never heard of (most of the dwarves, actually, apart from RA, Ken Stott and James Nesbitt), so I did not knew what to expect. However, I have to say that I was, on the whole, very pleasantly surprised. Even the smaller roles seem to be very well cast - like Bombur, who never really says anything but still has a certain screen presence and plays well together with the others, or Bifur, who I actually really like, with his sometimes intense stare (like when he is trying to roast salad - that's just adorable!) and unintelligible language. Even the characters that I don't like as much (sorry, Nori, Dori and Ori!) appear to be well-cast and well-portrayed - it's the characters that I don't like that much, not the actors.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of all of them, and maybe Bombur will finally say something! I'm also wondering what Thranduil sounds like...

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 27 2013, 7:37pm

Post #11 of 41 (723 views)
Shortcut
William Kircher gets a lot out of that character [In reply to] Can't Post

This last time I went I really looked for him, based on comments I had read here. The way he acts like someone who, well, has a severe head injury, is great. In fact, here is a link to an article where he talks about his characterization at some length: http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/12/13/hobbit-william-kircher-speaks-dwarvish-talks-bifurs-injury/#/0

sycorax82
Rohan

Jan 27 2013, 7:41pm

Post #12 of 41 (757 views)
Shortcut
Richard Armitage silenced all the doubters [In reply to] Can't Post

He is 100% the perfect Thorin. The only thing that lets him down is the makeup in some of the earlier scenes, where they hadn't finalized it properly. In the end his look was right and he's so believable as a Dwarf.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 27 2013, 7:41pm

Post #13 of 41 (642 views)
Shortcut
Your link didn't work? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is this the article?: http://herocomplex.latimes.com/...ks-bifurs-injury/#/0

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

Runk Snusgrop
Rivendell

Jan 27 2013, 7:45pm

Post #14 of 41 (712 views)
Shortcut
Re: Which character changed your mind about casting? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was never really able to put a face, or a voice, on any of the characters and thus had no notions on what kind of actor should play them.

I was also only familar with four of the actors playing the dwarfs (Richard Armitage, Graham McTavish, Jed Brophy, and James Nesbitt), which helped. I was most delighted with all of them.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jan 27 2013, 7:47pm

Post #15 of 41 (658 views)
Shortcut
Loved the Casting Choices [In reply to] Can't Post

I, too, was unfamiliar with most of the actors cast for AUJ. And I like it like that. Makes it easier to stay in the story.

The same was true for the LOTR. Remember reading at one point that Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawk were being considered for Eowyn and Faramir and thinking, well that's going to take us right out of the story. Glad it didn't happen.

Angharad73
Rohan

Jan 27 2013, 7:53pm

Post #16 of 41 (631 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting this link! Bifur's backstory is really interesting.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 27 2013, 7:57pm

Post #17 of 41 (610 views)
Shortcut
Did the link work? [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't get kimtc's link to work for me, did it work for you?

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 27 2013, 7:58pm

Post #18 of 41 (621 views)
Shortcut
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry about that. Looking at the actual link, I have one too many https in it. Ah, technology...

In Reply To

Angharad73
Rohan

Jan 27 2013, 7:58pm

Post #19 of 41 (604 views)
Shortcut
Not at first.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I took out the http:// at the beginning, then it worked for me.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 27 2013, 8:00pm

Post #20 of 41 (601 views)
Shortcut
Drat those https! [In reply to] Can't Post

It took me a while to figure that out too! Frown Now if I could figure out how to rename the links I'd have it made.

craban

Jan 27 2013, 8:43pm

Post #21 of 41 (680 views)
Shortcut
Lee Pace [In reply to] Can't Post

I only knew him from Pushing Daisies, to be honest, and couldn't quite picture him as an Elf. He was only in the movie for a few seconds and has completely won me over already.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 27 2013, 9:43pm

Post #22 of 41 (615 views)
Shortcut
Lee Pace was great in Lincoln [In reply to] Can't Post

And he was the only, only good thing in that otherwise horrific Breaking Dawn Part 2. The few times he was on screen almost made the agony of the rest of it worthwhile. Almost.

In Reply To
I only knew him from Pushing Daisies, to be honest, and couldn't quite picture him as an Elf. He was only in the movie for a few seconds and has completely won me over already.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jan 28 2013, 1:38am

Post #23 of 41 (503 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought all the characters were well cast, but when I heard Lee Pace would be playing Thranduil I was sceptical because he was in Breaking Dawn Part 2. But when I saw him as Thranduil, he completely won me over. It turned out he was a good choice after all.

I thought Bilbo was really well cast, I never doubted Martin Freeman. And I'm so glad McKellan, Weaving, Blanchett and Lee came back to reprise their roles. Oh yes, and Serkis too. Wink

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 28 2013, 2:20am

Post #24 of 41 (490 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't familiar with any of them beforehand [In reply to] Can't Post

That's how it was with the LOTR trilogy too. Which was one reason (among many :-)) why I was able to get so swept away with LOTR. I have had the same experience with AUJ. I love it when I don't recognize the actor or actress. So it wasn't so much as changing my mind as getting a thrill of, 'Yes! this is going to be great' --- I think it was as soon as Dwalin came in, and his attire, and his look and that way he says "No" when Bilbo asks if they know each other. At that point I thought, Yes! these dwarves really *are* all going to be interesting, just like they promised us!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 28 2013, 2:29am

Post #25 of 41 (482 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel. Until she was cast I was happy with Itaril. // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.