Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Ro's not thinking this time...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 26 2013, 10:03pm

Post #1 of 85 (1560 views)
Shortcut
Ro's not thinking this time... Can't Post

I've just got a question.

We've all (okay, many of us) shared our favorite parts of the movie, our favorite scenes, and so forth. I want to get a little more specific: what is your favorite *moment*? By "moment" I mean a single line of dialogue, a look, a vista -- something that lasts no more than, say, 10 seconds. So, "The dwarves singing 'Misty Mountains'" is not a moment, but "Kili walking into the room at the start of the singing" *is* a moment. "The exchange between Bofur and Bilbo in the goblins' front porch" is not a moment, but "Bilbo's expression when he says 'I'm sorry' to Bofur" *is* a moment.

What moment captured you? As always, share several if you can't choose just one!

oncefaster

Jan 26 2013, 10:18pm

Post #2 of 85 (770 views)
Shortcut
OK not an epic moment, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

A little thing I loved but have not seen mentioned is the goblins (what a noble job to have!) forming a living step stool for the king descending his throne!

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 26 2013, 10:27pm

Post #3 of 85 (753 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, too hard to choose just one, but [In reply to] Can't Post

Here were my favourites:

The moment after the spell in Goblin-Town when Gandalf's shadow first appears...just utterly fantastic and truly befitting of a legendary wizard.

Balin's expression after the battle of Anazulbizar when he looks at Thorin (when he saying: "there was one who I could follow"). I had chills.

Bofur's dramatic delivery of "Think: furnace, with wings!"

The strange look that suddenly comes over Radagast's face as he says: "It can't be witchcraft!" It just darkened the tone of the entire scene in a split second.

Gollum's moment of thinking before concluding "...That's not fair."

Galadriel's tone of voice and facial expression as she telepathically accuses Gandalf ("You knew...")

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

Jan 26 2013, 10:33pm

Post #4 of 85 (721 views)
Shortcut
There are many, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I try to mention only a few.

1) Bilbo's facial expression followed by his taking the pipe out of his mouth when Gandalf first mentions the word 'adventure' to him.
2) Dwalin's "No"in answer to Bilbo's "Do I know you". As if it were perfectly normal to walk into the house of a stranger without being invited.
3) Gandalf tapping his staff against one of the trolls after they have just turned to stone.
4) Galadriel's look when she sees the morgul blade.
5) Balin and Dwalin dismissing Bilbo's blue cheese (I very much agree with them, blue cheese just doesn't look, or smell, very tasty). I hope you can still call that a moment.

And many more ...

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

(This post was edited by The Prancing Pony on Jan 26 2013, 10:37pm)

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jan 26 2013, 10:44pm

Post #5 of 85 (713 views)
Shortcut
Some of mine, [In reply to] Can't Post

- Bifur handing over a skull or something to Kili in the background when Gandalf gives sting to Bilbo.
- Bifurs (retard)-face when everyone turns to the door when Thorin knocks.
- When Azog holds up the head of Thror and throws it at Thorin.
- When Dwalin smashes one of the trolls teeth with his hammer!
- In the prologue when the music turn less dramatic and we see the face of a girl looking over at her burning doll.
- The switch from Gandalf telling them about Radagast and Mirkwood to Radagast in Mirkwood.
- When stings blue light fades because Gollum kills the goblin
- Gandalf's "FUS RO DAH!"-moment in Goblin Town
- Bofur's "Furnace with wings"

And many more...

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

(This post was edited by painjoiker on Jan 26 2013, 10:45pm)

Glorfindel001

Jan 26 2013, 10:50pm

Post #6 of 85 (721 views)
Shortcut
Mine [In reply to] Can't Post

This is my first post- hello everyone!

My favorite moment is the shot during "Misty Mountains" when we see the embers floating out of the chimney at Bag End. It is just so beautifully done!

Oin's parasite
Rivendell

Jan 26 2013, 10:52pm

Post #7 of 85 (705 views)
Shortcut
Erebor, Erebor, Erebor, Erebor [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarves dwarves dwarves.

"I've got parasites as big as my arm!"

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 26 2013, 11:10pm

Post #8 of 85 (668 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

twiddling his thumbs while the dwarves and Gandalf look over the map. He's clearly nervous, but determined to stay and listen.

Thorin opening his eyes while listening to Bofur and Bilbo talk about having no home.

Bilbo's face when Thorin shouts at him at the very end. He's just trying to endure the moment, then is completely flummoxed when Thorin hugs him.

I haven't seen the movie in 2 weeks due to work and life commitments - must go tomorrow!

ElendurTheFaithful
Rivendell

Jan 26 2013, 11:18pm

Post #9 of 85 (668 views)
Shortcut
When Thorin walks in Bag End [In reply to] Can't Post

he is all serious but then gives a little smile to two dwarves of screen who then reveal themselves as Kili and Fili.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 26 2013, 11:19pm

Post #10 of 85 (684 views)
Shortcut
And his reply... [In reply to] Can't Post

Galadriel's tone of voice and facial expression as she telepathically accuses Gandalf ("You knew...")

The look on Gandalf's face when he telepathically responds ("Yes...").

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 26 2013, 11:21pm

Post #11 of 85 (648 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

This one of my favorite moments too! The embers fly up into the stars...

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 26 2013, 11:23pm

Post #12 of 85 (642 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, glorfindel001! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the way Bilbo starts to nod impatiently when Gandalf asks him if he knows that his Great great great (however many great) uncle was big enough to ride a real horse. Like he is sick of hearing this story.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 26 2013, 11:30pm

Post #13 of 85 (673 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf closing his eyes [In reply to] Can't Post

as if to say, "Oh crap", when he hears Saruman's voice at Elrond's house. Laugh

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jan 26 2013, 11:33pm

Post #14 of 85 (642 views)
Shortcut
Great Musical Moment [In reply to] Can't Post

When the dwarves leave Rivendell there is a long shot of them walking and the Misty Mountains theme swells and the violins come in and it is breathtaking. Literally. The first time I saw/heard this I gasped it was so beautiful.

And my second best moment is Bilbo defending the striken Thorin, back to his old hobbit self, waving String around like he doesn't know what he is doing, standing before Azog and seeing his death in the orc's eyes. Brilliant.

Kirly
Lorien

Jan 26 2013, 11:38pm

Post #15 of 85 (677 views)
Shortcut
Possible moment Kili in Rivendell and some general observations... [In reply to] Can't Post

I noticed something today, in my 6th viewing, which I hadn't before...the look on Kili's face when the Dwarves arrive in Rivendell. When Lindir comes down the stairs, Kili has a look of wonder and awe on his face - perhaps even fascination. Even when they are encircled by the Elves on horseback, while he has a look of a bit of fear and concern, there is still that look of wonder. Could this be a foreshadowing of his future friendship with Tauriel (sp?)? That's a possible moment, i think.

and some other observations....
Bofur seems younger than i originally thought. I don't see any grey in his beard in the closeups at Bag End. but then i do think i see some in the cave before the floor splits and they fall into goblin town.

I also paid close attention to the hair of our three hot royal Dwarves. They all have hair clips. Fili and Kili each have the one in the back, Fili has two in his moustache. and Thorin has 2 at the ends of his braids in front of his ears, and two in the back of his ears. You can actually see the clips (or whatever those metal things are) in a number of scenes (if you're looking for them like i was - i admit it!). When Fili and Kili are encouraging Bilbo to investigate the trolls, you can see them a number of times. Oh, and Kili seems to have lost his in the Goblin Town battle or in the trees, i can't recall which.

I also see almost no grey in Thorins hair and beard at Bag End but he seems to visibly age through the movie as I notice more grey in his hair. Oh, and he had me at the raised eyebrows before he ever says Gandalf.

When the wargs attack while Radagast is with Gandalf and the Dwarves, notice the first two go straight for Thorin? Thorin kills the first one, and Kili shoots the second one coming from behind Thorin. This made me notice that it sometimes seems as if Kili believes it's his job to personally protect Thorin. Again, possible foreshadowing of the end of the story. Note that when Gandalf leads them to the hidden path, Kili and Fili are the last to get inside before Thorin so maybe it's foreshadowing for the future of both Fili and Kili.

It's Bifur who pushes Bombur inside the hidden path into Rivendell. Bofur is in front of Bombur.

And, i think i finally understand all the confusion (well, mine anyway) about where Fili and Kili are throughout the Stone giants. They are all on what appears to be a stone ledge. When the stone giant begins to move, we get the closeups of the separation of Fili and Kili. I originally thought the direction (right, left) was relevant but no longer. The Dwarves get separated with one group of each of the two legs of the stone giant as it joins the fight with the other giant. Thorins group manages to get off the leg and onto the mountain. The other group appears to be smashed but actually gets off the leg as well. And here I was wrong before, while I still hear Thorin screaming "Kili", it's Fili in the group they thought had been smashed.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

malla
Bree

Jan 26 2013, 11:38pm

Post #16 of 85 (639 views)
Shortcut
moments [In reply to] Can't Post

some of my fav moments have been mentioned by others, but here are a few of mine:

a) Smile on Galadriel's face when she mentally says "You knew" to Gandalf
b) and the look he gives her when he replies "yes"
c) The look on Gandalf's face (when he had said that he had no idea that Elrond had sent for Galadriel and Saruman says that he had) while facing Elrond it appears that he is thinking "oh $#!% I'm in trouble"
d) Bilbo's eye rolling when the Dwarves are upset with his claim they have parasites.

but think my favorite of all is the look on Thorin's face, when looking at the Lonely Mountian and claiming it as "Our Home"

Tenna' ento lye omenta,
Malla

Indigo55

Jan 26 2013, 11:46pm

Post #17 of 85 (640 views)
Shortcut
When pity stayed his hand [In reply to] Can't Post

My personal favorite moment is when Martin and Andy together make it utterly believable, against all rationality, that Bilbo would spare Gollum's life. It's an extraordinary piece of acting, and would be so in any film. Without speaking a word, either of them. It's a moment I looked forward to, and I was very moved by its' artistry.

Vangalad
Lorien

Jan 27 2013, 12:05am

Post #18 of 85 (618 views)
Shortcut
Welcome,welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Some moments that stick out for me are:

1. Opening with I.Holm's voice: ''My dear Frodo''
2. Thorin's angry look when the elven army turns away
3. Bilbo's smoke ring - tittle:AUJ - Gandalf's entry
4. All the dwarves on their feet, staring at Thorin after Balin's narration.
5. ''Dawn take you all!''
6. The full Company in line (ala FOTR) under the tones of the misty mountains theme
7. Sting glowing blue for the first time
8. Goblin king ironically bowing to Thorin
9. Gollum's hillarious ''Eggseees!''
10. Gandalf showing up in a blast
11.Bilbo's expression when he decides to spare Gollum's life
12.Thorin's longing at the sight of Erebor

These, for now...
Smile

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Kirly
Lorien

Jan 27 2013, 12:11am

Post #19 of 85 (633 views)
Shortcut
The look on the Dwarves faces after Bilbo says [In reply to] Can't Post

"... and that's why I came back. Because you don't have a home. It was taken from you. But I will help you get it back if i can." Bombur and Ori and another (can't remember) look so touched that they are misty eyed.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Lio
Lorien

Jan 27 2013, 12:12am

Post #20 of 85 (651 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf-women! Azog petting his Warg! And other stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are some little moments I liked:
  • The scenes with Dale in the prologue, seeing glimpses of the townspeople and especially Dwarf-women! Yes, they do exist! Wink
  • Azog briefly petting his Warg during the Weathertop scene. This one makes me go Laugh every time.
  • The Goblin King's mock bow to Thorin when the Dwarves are brought to Goblin-town.
  • Just before the Troll encounter, when Bilbo is bringing the stew to Fili and Kili, and he puts the bowls down before they talk. Then when they go further to investigate, Bilbo kind of hesitates for a bit and then takes the bowls with him!
  • Near the end, when Thorin is running towards Azog and Azog slowly raises his hands as if to say "That's right, come at me!", and his facial expression just after that. I liked Azog's expressions in general. In a way they're a bit overdone, but something about them was... just right.
  • Also near the beginning when the prophecy about the ravens returning to the mountain is brought up, I think I noticed a few Dwarves in the background make exasperated expressions or shake their heads as if to say "Ugh, not this again." I can't remember who it was though! Did anyone else catch this?
There are many more but I can't quite relate them off the top of my head. Must see movie again!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 27 2013, 12:20am

Post #21 of 85 (619 views)
Shortcut
Some favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

Two Fili moments....as he strides into Bag End like he owns the place; and.catching the plate over his shoulder in the kitchen.

Bifur swinging around to catch the serving fork.

After Bilbo hits the floor Gandalf to Bofur "very helpful Bofur..."

Thorin to Elrond..."What of it?"

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

andwise
Rivendell

Jan 27 2013, 12:40am

Post #22 of 85 (609 views)
Shortcut
magic moments [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer moments to scenes really because they have a bigger impact in my view.there are so many though.the arkenstone being dug out,thorin retreating in to the shadows as bilbos voice tells us 'where sickness thrives,bad things will follow...' smaugs fire coming through the still closed door as the dwarves prepare to face him,thorin hammering the iron on the anvil as bilbos voice says 'he never forgave and he never forgot...' the embers up the chimney,sting glowing blue for the first time,seeing gollums pale lamp like eyes,first glimpse of the goblin king coughing and spluttering as the camera pans round his throne,the use of sunlight and shade as the company are set down on the carrock,and finally the camera sweeping first up over the desolation and then backwards down through the treasure hall.awesome!....I'll think of some more tomorrow Smile

Arrow....black arrow,I have saved you to the last.you have never failed me and always I have recovered you.I had you from my father and he from old.if ever you came from the forges of the true king under the mountain,go now and speed well

Baggins Babe

Jan 27 2013, 1:00am

Post #23 of 85 (571 views)
Shortcut
Yes, and Gollum's tear....... [In reply to] Can't Post

which moved me deeply and is obviously what prevents Bilbo from using his sword.

Other moments:
1) The fire at Bag End as the Dwarves sing 'The fire was red.....' and the sparks going up into the star-filled sky.
2) Bilbo's weak-kneed stagger after killing the Orc about to behead Thorin. Clearly the adrenalin rush has faded and he can't believe what he's done. (In fact a moment later he ends up almost draped over the nose of Azog's Warg - I don't know who looks more shocked about that!)
3) Thorin pulling Bilbo into the hug.
So many moments to cherish.

"It was said to me by Elrond Halfelven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. To have found it turns evil to great good."

I used to have a handle on life - but it fell off.

Kullervo
Rivendell

Jan 27 2013, 1:09am

Post #24 of 85 (603 views)
Shortcut
I can't pick one [In reply to] Can't Post

But a couple of my favorite small moments are

The way Bilbo says "Gandalf...", when the dwarves fall thorugh the doorway and he sees Gandalf standing there behind them.

Another great, small moment is in the prologue, when Smaug is attacking Dale and the music quiets down for a second to a single female voice crying and the camera shows a small girl watching her burning doll. The vocals and the little girls look tell me everything I need to know about the emotional devastation of Smaug's attack in no more than a second. Heartbreaking and brilliant.

There's more, but those two are the ones that always get me.

(This post was edited by Kullervo on Jan 27 2013, 1:16am)

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 27 2013, 1:34am

Post #25 of 85 (584 views)
Shortcut
Fili moment [In reply to] Can't Post

When he strides into Bag End he has a smirk on his face.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.