Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Collecting The Precious - The Bridge Direct's Azog and new Bolg figures

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jan 24 2013, 11:30pm

Post #1 of 16 (1678 views)
Shortcut
Collecting The Precious - The Bridge Direct's Azog and new Bolg figures Can't Post

1hobbitteasePosted by a fan on The Bridge Direct's Facebook page are pictures of two new figures for wave 2 of their The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey line. It does appear that Azog and Bolg are both a part of their 6" line, and as we can see Azog is pre-arm loss. Bolg also appears to come with a weapon that his 3 3/4" figure does not have. These are all just guesses, but Toy Fair in New York is next month and by The Bridge Direct's comment on their page, we should know more then:
'The Bridge Direct:You must have some good connections - these are some of the figures we are previewing at New York Toy Fair next month - stay tuned for more details'

bgiles73
The Shire

Jan 25 2013, 6:48am

Post #2 of 16 (1172 views)
Shortcut
Can't wait for Toy Fair! [In reply to] Can't Post

These look absolutely awesome! I can't wait to see what else is on the way. Heard some speculation on another forum that the shadow by Azog's knee in this photo looks suspiciously like Radagast's hat. I guess we will see in February. I hope Bofur and Ori are in wave two.

deskp
Lorien

Jan 25 2013, 7:05am

Post #3 of 16 (1200 views)
Shortcut
bleh [In reply to] Can't Post

Color on Azogs skin should be same as bolg.
Azog head skult looks kinda bad and the "hair" shouldn't be there in my opinion...

The color on azog is how he appears in the flashback, but thats not how figures should be made, you cant give all of them a brown color wash just because the movie has that.

Even if i won't be buying any of the action figures I'm very interested to see what else they come up with.

That shadow does indeed look like radagast!

Shagrat
Gondor

Jan 25 2013, 11:11am

Post #4 of 16 (1196 views)
Shortcut
Bleh indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

The likeness on Azog is poor. And why does he appear to have hair?

I continue to wonder what ToyBiz (RIP) would have done with this line. It's a sorry state of affairs when you consider the figures they made ten years ago were infinitely better than these. Shame Hasbro couldn't have got the licence.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Jan 25 2013, 11:12am)

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 25 2013, 2:15pm

Post #5 of 16 (1179 views)
Shortcut
Not bleh at all [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember these are protos. Things tend to change usually for the better from the time you see something like this to the final product. So a few of these issues will be changed once the final product comes out. As far as the wash used on the figure to match the flashback scene. If that's the aim for the figure then that's what they should do. You can see that this character has two arms and is from that sequence. So you are either are going to get a removable arm or with two figures of Azog in this line at somepoint.

Toy Biz iz no longer and a lot of the top people there are now at The Bridge Direct. As far as a sorry state of affairs I wouldn't say that at all. These figures are really quite good I think much better than other figures of the same scale within that market. Hasbro needs to stay away from anything related to Middle-earth. I'm not really a fan of how Hasbro operates as a company.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 25 2013, 3:57pm

Post #6 of 16 (1232 views)
Shortcut
Azog's arm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if the final version of Azog's figure will have an alternate, "prosthetic" arm that can be changed out.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 25 2013, 4:19pm

Post #7 of 16 (1223 views)
Shortcut
I wondered the same thing [In reply to] Can't Post

I expect we will get two different figures. However, with this being a proto there is room to make it so you have a switch out arm. It will just cause a small seam someplace in the bicep area.

deskp
Lorien

Jan 26 2013, 8:14am

Post #8 of 16 (1151 views)
Shortcut
not always the case. [In reply to] Can't Post

Theres been some comparions online of the hobbit prototypes final product. And all the prototypes did look better than the final product. As is normally the case..

The quality of the pain job usually drops ALOT

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 26 2013, 3:30pm

Post #9 of 16 (1151 views)
Shortcut
You're correct. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not always but more often than not the production piece matches the final. Also issues on the protos are usually corrected. That's been my experience with the high-end stuff and anything I saw of this line at comic-con. I think TBD looked good at comic-con and the production piece as a whole matched that. I got to see both of them in person at each phase. So I feel confident saying that.

Neekloz Brownbeard
The Shire

Jan 26 2013, 7:21pm

Post #10 of 16 (1129 views)
Shortcut
Radagast is a definate! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was lucky enough to go to the London Toyfair on Tuesday, and I have seen the figures coming out this year.
There are Azog, Bolg and Radagast in 6 inch scale, and Oin, Gloin, Ori, Nori, Dori, Bifur, Bofur and Bombur,
plus Azog on a Warg and Radagast in 3 3/4 inch! The Warg that Azog has is the same as Fimbuls' but repainted.
Azog is not a fully correct sculpt, he has scars only on the left side of his face, blonde dreads down the back of
his head and a long skirt of dwarven faces like Yaznegs'. The wooden club that Bolg is wearing is not meant to
be his, Radagast was holding Bolgs' short sword, his long sword and axe were on his base. If anyone has any
questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 26 2013, 7:28pm

Post #11 of 16 (1110 views)
Shortcut
Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like I got some more stuff to buy. I figure Azog will be corrected by the time he hits shelves. Thanks for the info.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jan 26 2013, 8:18pm

Post #12 of 16 (1106 views)
Shortcut
Any pictures? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you go by memory, could you rank the figures, best to worst (when it comes to likeness to their movie version).

Neekloz Brownbeard
The Shire

Jan 26 2013, 9:07pm

Post #13 of 16 (1135 views)
Shortcut
No pics, sorry! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry, I did ask to take pictures, but the representative of Vivid Imaginations said
that I couldn't take any pics of the unannounced product.

Likeness wise, 6 inch, Bolg is the best, then Radagast, then Azog. Azog looks epic
but the lopsided facial scars and blonde dread mullet are just not right. Radagast is
pretty good, but his eyebrows seemed quite overpronounced, but still a fantastic figure.

6 inch wise, Radagast and Azog are exactly the same as the 6 inch, as they are digitally
sculpted they have just been rescaled, so hopefully when they correct the 6 inch Azog
the CAD data can be rescaled pretty darn easily. The 8 dwarves that I saw were all
fantastic, They all had the correct weaponry, and Bofur has a removable hat! (Or so it
looked!)

There were cardboard mock ups of three figure box sets of previously released figures,
so anyone missing figures and unwilling to buy the two packs or the five pack might be
able to complete their dwarven companies differently. I'm sorry but I can't remember the
character selections. The Radagast 3 3/4 figure was posed by the 3 3/4 Gandalf, with a
cardboard mock up of the two figures in one blisterpack, so it may be that he is only
available in a two pack.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jan 26 2013, 9:55pm

Post #14 of 16 (1120 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Were the dwarves 6"? I might be wrong, but Dwalin, Balin, Kili and Fili are not available in that scale. Any sight of them at the fair?

Neekloz Brownbeard
The Shire

Jan 27 2013, 8:46am

Post #15 of 16 (1096 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, no new 6 inch dwarves! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, all the dwarves on show were 3 3/4 scale. The new 6 inch figures are
Azog, Bolg and Radagast. It's a shame, I'd rather spend twice as much
money buying all the characters at the larger scale than have them all at
3 3/4.

Dwalin
Rivendell

Jan 28 2013, 3:41pm

Post #16 of 16 (1423 views)
Shortcut
Azog and Son 6 Inch [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog looks AMAZING! I see Bolg similar to the 3 3/4 version, which is still neat.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.