Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Pipeweed
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jan 25 2013, 9:50pm

Post #1 of 32 (847 views)
Shortcut
Pipeweed Can't Post

I am new here and don't know if this was discussed at all on the LOTR forum but here goes --

What is the point of suggesting that pipeweed is a type of pot? Tolkien calls it a type of nicotiana, so we know it is tobacco and not something that gets you high.

Since pipe smoking is a part of British/English culture and is something one associates with Oxbridge dons, we know that Tolkien was not implying that all these hobbits, wizards, rangers and dwarves were smoking dope. What's the point of PJ's suggesting that they are?

jtarkey
Rohan

Jan 25 2013, 9:58pm

Post #2 of 32 (464 views)
Shortcut
For fun... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think they over do it at least. It's no secret that I am a fan of "pipe weed", so the Fact that they treat it the way they do always makes me smile.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

paperC
Rivendell

Jan 25 2013, 10:24pm

Post #3 of 32 (401 views)
Shortcut
Why not? [In reply to] Can't Post

I burst out laughing when the scene came up. Great stuff.

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 25 2013, 10:28pm

Post #4 of 32 (430 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson didn't invent it. [In reply to] Can't Post

You can blame the hippies who became fans of the Lord of the Rings back in the 1970s for that. It's been a running gag in the fandom for decades. And anyway, tobacco does have a funny effect on some people, even though it's not identical with cannabis.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 25 2013, 10:51pm

Post #5 of 32 (384 views)
Shortcut
Yup, this +1 [In reply to] Can't Post

DECADES!!! Yer grandpappy used to tell them jokes, yup yup

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 25 2013, 11:17pm

Post #6 of 32 (379 views)
Shortcut
I've smoked exactly one cigarette in my life [In reply to] Can't Post

...and it made me light headed and essentially 'high'.

I don't know if it would have that effect had I smoked them regularly.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Kassandros
Rohan

Jan 25 2013, 11:21pm

Post #7 of 32 (368 views)
Shortcut
And it doesn't seem to have that effect on Bilbo or Gandalf. [In reply to] Can't Post

So it doesn't exactly seem to be just like marijuana all the time.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 25 2013, 11:47pm

Post #8 of 32 (377 views)
Shortcut
It depends [In reply to] Can't Post

to someone addicted to nicotine, smoking tobacco helps clear the mind by chasing away the symptoms of withdrawal. To someone who isn't addicted or otherwise doesn't smoke, its effects range from light headedness to nausea (and if enough is smoked, to addiction).

I've always thought if pipe weed isn't tobacco, that it is something akin to it -- that is a leaf rather than a bud -- with opioid rather than cannabinoid properties. Though there is no evidence of this, beyond wishful thinking perhaps.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jan 25 2013, 11:49pm)

Hamfast
Rohan

Jan 26 2013, 1:04am

Post #9 of 32 (391 views)
Shortcut
Your signature quote should be noted too... [In reply to] Can't Post

Saruman is certainly implying that smoking it hinders brain function. I quit smoking cigarettes 20 years ago, but I don't ever remember them affecting my mental capabilities. I will go ahead and plead the 5th on what smoking the other substance does to my mental capabilitiesTongue

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 26 2013, 1:26am

Post #10 of 32 (350 views)
Shortcut
It's not so much [In reply to] Can't Post

smoking, as the times between smoking when withdrawal leaves one distracted... but I guess I said that already.

aside Ham, you must be older than I thought. Smile

Kassandros
Rohan

Jan 26 2013, 2:21am

Post #11 of 32 (323 views)
Shortcut
Saruman isn't right about everything, though. [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, Gandalf's mind certainly does not seem slowed.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 26 2013, 2:47am

Post #12 of 32 (332 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think Tolkien meant pipeweed to be taken for anything but tobacco. The argument that tobacco is a New World discovery and therefore wouldn't have been present in a prehistoric Europe doesn't hold water as potatoes are also from the New World. Nobody implies that potatoes are anything but po-ta-toes.Smile

As for the effects of tobacco: tobacco smoked in a pipe is different than tobacco in cigarette form. My dad was a long time pipe smoker, but he never would smoke cigarettes because you inhale cigarette smoke into your lungs. Pipe's are mostly smoked for the flavor; you don't inhale. It isn't nearly as addictive; when my dad decided to quit, he quit.

I don't feel that smoking non-tobacco weeds (so to speak) is immoral, I just don't like to think that when the future of Middle-earth is on the line, Gandalf would let the halflings' weed dull his mind.

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jan 26 2013, 2:48am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 26 2013, 2:51am

Post #13 of 32 (328 views)
Shortcut
Bomby..... is a Frist-Responder to Tolkien. [In reply to] Can't Post

Read all for books in 1967
And then
"The Summer of Love"
Happened..colorFully in
" Hobitty-Hashberry." SF...

Then Boulder
COOL-arado
1969 and 70..

HUNDREDS OF THOZZANDS Read The Hobbit
while they were smoking.
Old Toby...

When Our Professor died in 1973?
was as if
our "GrandHippie"
Had died.

(Very colorful smoke rings were performed WORLDWIDE
That sorrowful... night..
Bomby Will never forget

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jan 26 2013, 3:25am

Post #14 of 32 (307 views)
Shortcut
Correction [In reply to] Can't Post

Blame the hippies of the 1960s.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jan 26 2013, 3:27am

Post #15 of 32 (318 views)
Shortcut
Was it PJ's idea? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was under the impression that pipeweed was a type of tobbacco, not cannabis. It's kind of obvious. Gandalf and Bilbo smoke pipeweed, and as you can see, their minds are not dulled.

Hamfast
Rohan

Jan 26 2013, 3:28am

Post #16 of 32 (294 views)
Shortcut
Agreed.... [In reply to] Can't Post

and he's also evil. And learning from The Hobbit movie, very judgemental about Radagast's use of mushroomsLaugh

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jan 26 2013, 3:29am

Post #17 of 32 (297 views)
Shortcut
Have heard this from others as well [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never smoked anything. I'm a health nut and won't do anything that could put my health at risk. The smell is enough to chase me away. In my 23 years of living I've learned that if it smells bad, it is bad. And I've learned that smoking anything is unhealthy, be it tobbacco or cannabis. Like I I said, I'm a health nut.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jan 26 2013, 3:30am

Post #18 of 32 (294 views)
Shortcut
I'll say [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think Radagast was into those mushrooms. But what do you expect from an evil wizard?

Hamfast
Rohan

Jan 26 2013, 3:54am

Post #19 of 32 (317 views)
Shortcut
I was trying to be deliberately provocative.... [In reply to] Can't Post

As I always find this debate fun.

I'm 40 years old btw...I smoked cigarettes between those crazy 17 to 20 years. One day, I found it disgusting and haven't touched them sinceSmile

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 26 2013, 10:49am

Post #20 of 32 (283 views)
Shortcut
Well Bomby will be 63 next week. [In reply to] Can't Post

By Shire reckoning..

Then....
guess what?

I live in Colorado?

"Love is all
there is"

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 26 2013, 11:58am

Post #21 of 32 (272 views)
Shortcut
As I recall... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Blame the hippies of the 1960s.

Hippies didn't find the LotR until the 1970's. I may be wrong on this, but at least that was the time when Tolkien himself got a bit disturbed by his own fandom.

sherlock
Gondor

Jan 26 2013, 12:04pm

Post #22 of 32 (270 views)
Shortcut
My first cigarette made me feel the same. [In reply to] Can't Post

Or maybe the first few but it goes away. Fortunately, I never smoked much & didn't get hooked. When I met my future husband who had asthma I had to give it up completely which was a good thing. No comment on the other thing you can smoke.mWinkWink

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 26 2013, 3:03pm

Post #23 of 32 (252 views)
Shortcut
all I can say is... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the hippie movement was present in the mid to late 60s and I read LOTR in 1967 or 68.

Wikipedia puts Tolkien's huge popularity in the US at the mid-60s.

"By the mid-1960s the novel had become a cultural phenomenon. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings

"Frodo Lives!" was a popular counterculture slogan in the 1960s and 1970s, referring to the character Frodo Baggins from J. R. R. Tolkien's fantasy novel The Lord of the Rings. The term was used frequently in graffiti, buttons, bumper-stickers, t-shirts, and other materials. It was commonly associated with the hippie movement. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frodo_Lives!

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 26 2013, 3:07pm

Post #24 of 32 (248 views)
Shortcut
By 1966 it was a "cult classic" [In reply to] Can't Post

and outselling many former classic novels on America's college campuses. And Tolkien became a "cult hero".

By 1968 the letters and gifts (and midnight phone calls) to his home became intolerable, and that, coupled with his and Edith's failing health, caused their move to Bournemouth where they hoped to live as "secretly" as possible.

I do like what he had to say about all the hoopla: "Being a cult figure of one's own lifetime I am afraid is not at all pleasant. However I do not find that it tends to puff one up; in my case at any rate it makes me feel extremely small and inadequate. But even the nose of a very modest idol cannot remain entirely untickled by the sweet smell of incense." (Carpenter's Biography)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 27 2013, 1:35am

Post #25 of 32 (214 views)
Shortcut
Well, you old *art! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to the clubLaughWinkUnimpressedSly

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.