Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The One Ring...only slightly evil?

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 25 2013, 9:05pm

Post #1 of 9 (748 views)
Shortcut
The One Ring...only slightly evil? Can't Post

The One Ring grants powers to its users, but itself has one very useful power...shrinking and growing!

Shrink: If the Ring was truly evil, it would shrink until it sliced off the users finger. That way, no one could use it but Sauron. Shows them right!

Growth: If the Ring was truly evil, it would grow. Just grow and grow, destroying everything in its destructive wake. Trapped in a cave with Gollum? Just grow! Blow your way out of that mountain with your unbreakable Ring body! It would also have the added benefit of expanding until it reached Mirkwood/Mordor, then once Sauron touched it, shrinking back to his size.

It may mentally torment and abandon its user, but it never kills with its amazing powers. Perhaps the Ring can only shrink and grow to limited sizes though? I've never seen any information detailing its limitations.

(This post was edited by stoutfiles on Jan 25 2013, 9:07pm)

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 25 2013, 9:11pm

Post #2 of 9 (350 views)
Shortcut
It was a rush job [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron learned about the other rings, and threw together a simple control function. It's not even very fancy, no gems, no spikes, no com devices built in, nothing.

Nira
Lorien

Jan 26 2013, 1:30am

Post #3 of 9 (269 views)
Shortcut
Sauron designed it that way because [In reply to] Can't Post

he had a problem with yo yo dieting.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?"

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 26 2013, 2:19am

Post #4 of 9 (240 views)
Shortcut
Interesting question [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting question, but I think that just because it doesn't have the ability to inflict great evil itself doesn't mean it doesn't have thoroughly evil intent: intent and ability are two different things. Maybe Sauron deliberately limited the ring's power so that he could maintain control of it - a sort of system over-ride. A bit like people who are spooked by the image of HAL refusing to open the doors for Dave in 2001: A Space Odyssey might make sure that any computer they program can be unplugged Laugh

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 26 2013, 2:20am

Post #5 of 9 (230 views)
Shortcut
LOL :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Milknut
Rohan

Jan 27 2013, 3:14am

Post #6 of 9 (195 views)
Shortcut
This is an incredibly entertaining post. :)// [In reply to] Can't Post

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie___

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2013, 4:30pm

Post #7 of 9 (103 views)
Shortcut
I think the idea that he might ever lose the ring never occured to Sauron. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 29 2013, 5:43pm

Post #8 of 9 (116 views)
Shortcut
He did consider it according to Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

It was discussed in Letter 131. Sauron thought there was zero risk because not only would the Ring not be damaged by normal means, the lust of having it would overwhelm anyone who tried to destroy it.

dreamflower
Lorien

Jan 30 2013, 11:28pm

Post #9 of 9 (236 views)
Shortcut
The One Ring [In reply to] Can't Post

A few years ago I wrote an essay called "The Myth of the One Ring's Power" in which I detail some of the Ring's limitations as far as controlling people. I do not believe I dealt with the idea of "shrink" or "grow", but I would think those physical limitations would not be the same as its psychological powers.

It clearly shrank to fit Isildur instead of Sauron, and it shrank again to fit Gollum. Bilbo, Gollum, Frodo and Sam, who were the only ones to wear it after Sauron and Isildur were all hobbits with similar sized fingers. It would only need to get just a little bit larger to slip off a finger. And such is even possible with an ordinary ring, as I have discovered my own wedding ring will sometimes just slide right off, and I assure you it is not a Ring of Power.

I just love thinking about stuff like this. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.