Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Coolest Beleriand Elf
Poll: Coolest Beleriand Elf
Feanor
Meadhros
Eol
Meaglin
Turgon
Fingon
Fingolfin
Finarfin
Finwe
Celegorm
Curufin
Dior
Thingol
Gwindor
Beleg
View Results (39 votes)

barahir
The Shire

Dec 4 2007, 8:41pm

Post #1 of 10 (543 views)
Shortcut
Coolest Beleriand Elf Can't Post

has to be Fingolfin, High-King of da Noldor, In rage and despair goes and fights Morgoth and does him considerable harm before being slain.

soooo cooolCool

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 5 2007, 12:25am

Post #2 of 10 (383 views)
Shortcut
Wouldn't it have been cooler for Fingolfin... [In reply to] Can't Post

not to have thrown his life away in a rash attack on Morgoth? And what do you make of dna's argument here that:

Following the rightful eldest-son full-blood Noldor King out of the city where your exteriorly appointed kingship as half-blood younger-son rests, arriving late to a Kinslaying, leaving the land of those who appointed you, all while clearly fulfilling the curses of the Enemy, does not a King make!

Anyway, my choice for coolest elf isn't on your list! That would be Finrod Felagund, King of Nargothrond who upheld his oath by giving his life for Beren in Sauron's prison on the Isle of Werewolves, the original Minas Tirith?

Some more thoughts on your list:

Finw, Fanor, Maedhros, Celegorm, Curufin, Fingolfin, Fingon, Turgon, Finarfin, Thingol, Dior, El, Maeglin, Gwindor, Beleg

Finw and Finarfin don't belong here, I think: Finw passed through Beleriand on his original trips to Valinor, but never stayed there. Finarfin was born in Valinor, and if he was ever in Beleriand, it was only briefly during the War of Wrath.

Why do you list just three of Fanor's sons, skipping Maglor, Caranthir, Amras and Amrod? Where are Finrod's brothers, Angrod and Aegnor, and his brother (or nephew) Orodreth? And Cirdan? Mablung? Glorfindel? Any women -- Aredhel, Idril, Elwing, Lthien, Galadriel, Finduilas?

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 5 2007, 8:25am

Post #3 of 10 (337 views)
Shortcut
Finrod [In reply to] Can't Post

would be my choice, too. There's a lot to like about him.

Patty
Immortal

Dec 5 2007, 4:53pm

Post #4 of 10 (309 views)
Shortcut
Yes, mine as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although if you were to ask me which abode I'd prefer, it would be Turgon's Gondolin instead of Nargothrond. I am not loving the thought the thought of a cave--I'm too claustrophobic.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2007, 7:46pm

Post #5 of 10 (330 views)
Shortcut
I voted for Beleg Strongbow [In reply to] Can't Post

He and Mablung are the bad boys of Doriath. Not content to hang out in safety behind the Girdle of Melian, they were always haring off after adventures, chasing wolves, fighting in other people's battles, and so forth. Adding to the coolness factor was Beleg's black sword, Anglachel, made of meteoric iron. Of course his most dangerous deed was being friends with Turin Turambar (which ultimately proved fatal).

However, I'd have preferred to vote for Luthien, except that she's not on this list.

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on Dec 5 2007, 7:47pm)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2007, 4:27pm

Post #6 of 10 (369 views)
Shortcut
Turgon.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just because......ok?

Annael
Immortal

Dec 17 2007, 12:50am

Post #7 of 10 (282 views)
Shortcut
me too/ [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Feb 13 2008, 5:39am

Post #8 of 10 (335 views)
Shortcut
Has Got To Be.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Beleg Strongbow.
Finrod's up there too.

Why isn't Mablung the Heavy Hand on the list?

Eol the Dark Elf cool?
He's the MOST uncool Elf EVER in Middle-Earth with possible exception of Feanor or his son Maeglin - and one person voted for him!

BTW: I never thought of Thingol as being too cool either:

"I promised not to kill you, Beren, but go get me a Silmaril from Morgoth's crown & if you don't get yourself killed, then you can marry Luthien, heh, heh, heh."

And that act ended up getting him & Mablung killed........

Plus countless Elves & Dwarves besides.

bheanue

Nov 13 2008, 4:36am

Post #9 of 10 (251 views)
Shortcut
My vote is for Fingolfin [In reply to] Can't Post

Fingolfin.

Filled with wrath and anger, rode alone to face the most evil spirit in all creation, challenged him in battle, filled him with fear, wounded him seven times, made him wail in pain seven times.

Only fatigue, (a condition placed upon the race of elves by the gentle hands of Eru Himself), prevented Fingolfin from tormenting Morgoth into eternity.

LEGIONTX
Rivendell

May 5 2009, 2:38am

Post #10 of 10 (263 views)
Shortcut
For me [In reply to] Can't Post

it's Feanor....One of my favorite characters of Tolkien imagination; behind only Beren/Luthien, Aragorn and Eomer. Feanor was an out of control,narcissistic jerk, but his drive is what I was impressed with. I suppose it's just my outlook that it's better to burn quickly and bright instead of slow and dull.Unimpressed

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.