Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Return of the Short Attention Span Theatre (SAST) quizzes?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 24 2013, 11:46pm

Post #1 of 33 (332 views)
Shortcut
Return of the Short Attention Span Theatre (SAST) quizzes? Can't Post

It's been years since we did our last round of SAST quizzes, and with our current interest in The Hobbit, what do you all think of starting these up again, doing The Hobbit this time?

For those of you who weren't around when last we ran these, here's how they work. The quizzes cover the book (not the movie!). I post one quiz every week, on the same day and at roughly the same time. Each quiz has five questions and covers exactly one chapter. We do the chapters in random order, and each chapter gets covered only once. There are 19 chapters, so this would take us 19 weeks to finish. Quizzes are always closed book. Questions may be fairly broad or quite specific, and occasionally even ask for exact wording. A large part of the fun, however, is trying to earn Invisible Extra Credit (IEC) by giving funny answers -- particularly if you can't remember the proper answer (some people give two answers per question: one silly, one correct).

At the end of every quiz, I tally up scores (you can earn from 0 to 5 points), and award IEC. If you get a 3 or less, you get to join the crowd on the Mediocrity Bench, which is usually where all the fun is. I keep track of scores through the quiz series, and after the very last quiz, tally up the overall winners of the entire series, plus award some other virtual prizes too (biggest earner of IEC, perfect attendance, Most Perfectly Mediocre, etc.).

So, is there enough interest in this? If so, I propose we start these next week. I suggest I post them on my Tuesday (in New Zealand), which would be Monday in most of the rest of the world. I'm not sure if I can commit to posting at an exact time of day, but will try to do it before noon my time (may not always happen, though).

Thoughts and suggestions welcome!

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2013, 11:53pm

Post #2 of 33 (134 views)
Shortcut
Great idea!// [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 24 2013, 11:56pm

Post #3 of 33 (169 views)
Shortcut
Ah, the mediocrity bench: [In reply to] Can't Post

My most-visited place. :)

It'll be great to see the return of the SAST!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

FantasyFan
Rohan

Jan 25 2013, 12:08am

Post #4 of 33 (143 views)
Shortcut
I remember these fondly [In reply to] Can't Post

I even won a prize, back in the day. (A beautiful map) I think it would be great to start them up again for the next generation.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 25 2013, 12:16am

Post #5 of 33 (135 views)
Shortcut
What a wonderful idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're willing, I think the rest of us could provide suitable entertainment...Angelic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 25 2013, 12:28am

Post #6 of 33 (155 views)
Shortcut
Closed book!? what kind of a Professor are you? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just kidding, sounds like fun!

I once won a Collector's Edition of "War in the North" by remembering the Elf-butler's name in The Hobbit...right before my son took my (OK, his) PlayStation 3 home with him, so never got to play it! Blush

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jan 25 2013, 1:43am

Post #7 of 33 (131 views)
Shortcut
I'm game! [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like fun!

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Jan 25 2013, 2:02am

Post #8 of 33 (131 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great idea!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 25 2013, 2:35am

Post #9 of 33 (130 views)
Shortcut
*fist in the air* Yes!! Ro---that's a great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

My memory is WAY SHOT, so I'll be faking it most of the time ;) But it'll be so much fun to do this with you again!

Thank you m'dear! You have my vote for a "GO"!

First draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 25 2013, 3:03am

Post #10 of 33 (128 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure I won't get any of them [In reply to] Can't Post

but it sounds like fun!! ^_^

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 25 2013, 3:18am

Post #11 of 33 (122 views)
Shortcut
Great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

That should keep us busy before the DVD comes out. Thanks for doing this!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 25 2013, 3:20am

Post #12 of 33 (138 views)
Shortcut
Furiously rereads Hobbit before contest starts... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm in.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 25 2013, 5:36am

Post #13 of 33 (156 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo! Mediocrity Bench here I come! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been thinking for some time about starting up a quiz series but I just don't have the time. I'm excited that you're up for it. Bring on the SAST! Cool

Silverlode

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 25 2013, 7:24am

Post #14 of 33 (116 views)
Shortcut
I'll make the scones and tea, and [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll comb Thorin's hair for you while you are busy. Wink

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 25 2013, 9:13am

Post #15 of 33 (117 views)
Shortcut
Mmmm, finger food. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink
All right, you can *comb* Thorin's hair, but I get to braid it!

Hmmm, I thought I was too old for this...

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 25 2013, 9:17am

Post #16 of 33 (120 views)
Shortcut
Mad, of course. [In reply to] Can't Post

What I never have to admit is whether or not I could pass my own SAST quizzes before I've made them up (if that makes sense). Not sure *I* remember the butler's name right now...Gidion...Girion...Gideon...nah, I forget!

*runs off and checks book* Galion! That's what I was going to say next! Really! Wink

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 25 2013, 9:23am

Post #17 of 33 (110 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes, the good ol' days [In reply to] Can't Post

when we had real prizes to give away! Alas, it'll have to be virtual prizes this time around, I think. Although I still have an autographed copy of the first Flight of the Conchords CD that was supposed to have been a prize in an earlier rendition of SAST...maybe it finally needs a new home. And I suppose I might could send non-NZ TORnsibs a NZ key chain or fridge magnet or something...hmmmm...

I'm glad you enjoyed your map! Smile

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 25 2013, 9:26am

Post #18 of 33 (112 views)
Shortcut
You know I'd be joining you there... [In reply to] Can't Post

if I were taking the quizzes instead of writing them!

Glad you're excited. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 25 2013, 9:29am

Post #19 of 33 (133 views)
Shortcut
The mediocrity bench is way out of my reach [In reply to] Can't Post

That's why I offered to be the tea-lady. Laugh

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2013, 12:18pm

Post #20 of 33 (105 views)
Shortcut
Yes, yes, eleventy-billion percent yes! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 25 2013, 3:23pm

Post #21 of 33 (110 views)
Shortcut
Might I just point out that... [In reply to] Can't Post

this amusement (SAST) is one of many Message Board Periodic Threads covered by the TORn Mathom-house wiki.

Kind of... since it doesn't have any information entered about it yet. All it needs is for someone to adopt the article.

Here's an example of articles that have been written: TIME - Scenes from the Hat

And here's the info that is needed for SAST: Short Attention Span Theater-Comments

Even small amounts of info just kind of 'dumped' onto a page is okay. Some info is better than no info. Unrefined is better than nothing. Things can happen in stages and by the hands of many people.

Ro, if you or anyone else would like to contribute a little or a lot to this article, let me know and I can provide some guidance on how to do that.

Also, Peredhil lover has collected links to many of the periodic threads held on the boards but not for SAST. If you or anyone else has a collection of links to past games, we can house that collection at the wiki.

It's good to have you back and active. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 25 2013, 3:32pm

Post #22 of 33 (115 views)
Shortcut
Oh, goody, a game!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's play!!

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 25 2013, 4:29pm

Post #23 of 33 (112 views)
Shortcut
Woot! I'm in! [In reply to] Can't Post

I joined TORn just as SAST was sort of dying out. I remember reading a couple of them, although I don't remember actually playing, and then they just went away.

PS. Roheryn, I'm glad you're able to be more active again on TORn. Yours are some of the posts I read first, and I like limericks, too. Smile

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 25 2013, 7:26pm

Post #24 of 33 (91 views)
Shortcut
:-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the nice words, AE.

The last round of SAST quizzes ended at the same time I moved to NZ, and with my three kids who have come along since then, I haven't had time to reprise them, let alone spend much time here! Not sure about jflower, who was my partner-in-crime for the quizzes; it's been a really long time since I've heard from her.

But with The Hobbit out now, my motivation's fairly strong to spend a bit more time in these parts. Wink

Limericks...need to work on some of those!

swordwhale
Grey Havens

Jan 25 2013, 8:20pm

Post #25 of 33 (84 views)
Shortcut
gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh [In reply to] Can't Post

runs screaming into the kitchen frantically searching for Hobbit....

I'll never be able to separate bookverse and filmverse now....

But I'll give it some Dwarvish iron...

Go outside and play...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.