Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So I guess the Europe premiere of DOS will be in Berlin?

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jan 24 2013, 11:15pm

Post #1 of 9 (535 views)
Shortcut
So I guess the Europe premiere of DOS will be in Berlin? Can't Post

Willkommen meine Freunde! Welcome my friends!

After a great Europe premiere of "An Unexpected Journey" in London in the last year I guess the european premiere of "Desolation of Smaug" should be in Berlin. Why? Because (untill today) Germany is (according to Box Office Mojo) the biggest foreign market. I know the Chinese didn't see the movie yet but I'm talking about the next premiere in Europe anyway.

Here's the top ten list of international box office numbers (Last update 1/20/13):
1.) $83,862,522 - Germany
2.) $79,374,499 - United Kingdom
3.)
$42,931,362 - Russia
4.) $40,371,922 - Australia
5.) $40,259,354 - France
6.) $27,894,830 - Spain
7.)
$21,781,041 - Italy
8.) $21,688,449 - South Korea
9.)
$21,119,132 - Sweden
10.)
$18,934,546 - Mexico

Source: Box Office Mojo

It would be a great gift to us fans in Germany! Wink

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Jan 24 2013, 11:17pm)

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jan 25 2013, 12:23am

Post #2 of 9 (222 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

consider the size of the uk ;)

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

TwirlingThorin
Bree

Jan 25 2013, 2:04am

Post #3 of 9 (191 views)
Shortcut
Nope.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry but we need to take the population into account when viewing the box office numbers and that means that Stockholm should host the premiere of DoS :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/...ntries_by_population

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 25 2013, 9:36am

Post #4 of 9 (125 views)
Shortcut
Consider the inhabitants in each country... [In reply to] Can't Post

Germany has over 80 million people and Sweden doesn't even have 10, yet it's gross is very good.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jan 25 2013, 10:13am

Post #5 of 9 (110 views)
Shortcut
It changes nothing but the percentage ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm aware of that information. I live here and I know how many people do live here too and in our neighbour countries BUT

the fact that there are a lot of fans in Germany it would be a great premiere here ;-) Berlin is very in the middle of Europe and would make it easier for our friends from eastern and also southern Europe to join the premiere as well!

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Arannir
Valinor

Jan 25 2013, 10:46am

Post #6 of 9 (113 views)
Shortcut
I am German and still say "nein" [In reply to] Can't Post

England remains the home country of those novels and I like the idea of having the European Premiere there. These movies have a connection to several countries (both in economic and emotional terms) - bowever, the connection to Germany is not really there IMHO other than that both books and movies are appreciated (but that is true for A LOT of countries) ;)

Also, how far people have to travel to a premiere does not really matter imho - almost all of them won't get in anyway ;)

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jan 25 2013, 10:47am)

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jan 25 2013, 11:22am

Post #7 of 9 (102 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't the ROTK premiere in Berlin too? [In reply to] Can't Post

Arannir
Valinor

Jan 25 2013, 12:18pm

Post #8 of 9 (99 views)
Shortcut
It was. [In reply to] Can't Post

1 December 2003 - Wellington
10 December 2003 - Berlin
11 December 2003 - London

I mean Berlin has established itself as a rising international movie city - I would not be upset about it. But, again, for emotional reasons I stay with London :)

TheHutt
Gondor

Jan 25 2013, 1:29pm

Post #9 of 9 (115 views)
Shortcut
With LOTR, there was a connection to Germany... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because the LOTR films were produced through some "Stupid German Money" fund.

On The Hobbit, there is no such thing.

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site:

Henneth-annun.ru - the Russian LOTR site

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.