Standard 3D (24 fps with 3D)
Standard 2D (24 fps)
View Results (80 votes)

goken100

Jan 24 2013, 8:07pm

Post #1 of 19 (2420 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Technology Format for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Can't Post

I thought about including IMAX in the poll, but figured that might muddy the waters. If you have no preference, simply choose multiple answers. :)

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 24 2013, 8:33pm

Post #2 of 19 (1855 views)
Shortcut
The way I see it, HFR is clearly the winner :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Pun thread, anyone Tongue?

Tintallė
Gondor

Jan 24 2013, 8:52pm

Post #3 of 19 (1878 views)
Shortcut
HFR = High Fan Rating! // [In reply to] Can't Post

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 24 2013, 9:46pm

Post #4 of 19 (1833 views)
Shortcut
HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

Highly Fun Romp! Wink

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 24 2013, 10:00pm

Post #5 of 19 (1821 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't care less...I enjoyed it just as much in every format!// [In reply to] Can't Post

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Jan 24 2013, 10:08pm

Post #6 of 19 (1825 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen standard 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

But HFR 3D was phenomenally better than standard 2D in my opinion Smile

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 24 2013, 10:10pm

Post #7 of 19 (1842 views)
Shortcut
Watched it 3 times... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and to my surprise, I liked HFR a lot more than I thought. I actually enjoyed it more than the 2D verision (watched it twice in HFR and once in 2D)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 24 2013, 10:50pm

Post #8 of 19 (1905 views)
Shortcut
Same here. [In reply to] Can't Post

It wasn't until my second HFR viewing that I realised I liked it.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2013, 6:14am

Post #9 of 19 (1841 views)
Shortcut
various formats [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it in all of them (minus the Imax HFR). The only one I pretty much hated wa the Imax... perhaps because it was FREAKINGROCKCONCERTLOUD!!! (Where the heck did I put my earplugs).

And I had just watched the HFR version.

Watching Imax 3D after HFR I could definitely see that any time the camera moved (which is nearly all the time) stuff blurred. It was completely annoying the first twenty minutes or so till I sort of got used to not being able to see half the film.

HFR rocks. I will cheerfully drive an hour (like i did this time) to see it.

Misto
Lorien

Jan 25 2013, 12:58pm

Post #10 of 19 (1778 views)
Shortcut
Good old average 2D format please. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have not seen HFR but as long as 3D is involved I don't care at all. I'm afraid I will never get the idea behind 3D, to me it's simply a bothersome yet non-beneficial gadget.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 25 2013, 1:05pm

Post #11 of 19 (1834 views)
Shortcut
Voted for HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it and liked it in three formats (2D, 3D 24FPS, 3D HFR). However, I felt HFR deserved my vote. I generally like the "idea" of 3D, and find the better 3D movies have 3D moments which are beautiful/spectacular enough to make the drawbacks of 3D worthwhile (the annoying classes, the eyestrain, the headache). Despite its length, AUJ in HFR 3D had the pluses without these minuses. It also made so many more details of the action and backgrounds pop out and be noticeable to me.

Kassandros
Rohan

Jan 25 2013, 4:02pm

Post #12 of 19 (1788 views)
Shortcut
Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I went from having mixed feelings on my first HFR showing to loving it on my second.

And based on these poll results, I wonder if 3D/24 is going to be a format left out in the cold. Will future showings split more between 3D/48 and 2D/24? It'd make sense.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 25 2013, 4:42pm

Post #13 of 19 (1801 views)
Shortcut
Though the technology available is an issue... [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in a large metro area in the US but I needed to drive 40 minutes + to the nearest theater that showed HFR. (But I did to see what the fuss was about, and glad I did too!). The very nice 16 screen multiplex 2 towns over does not have this capability yet. This is why I would expect Standard 3D to remain popular (as a format in which the movie is shown, if not as the most preferred among people who see both) as a lot more theatres can do that.

Kassandros
Rohan

Jan 25 2013, 5:29pm

Post #14 of 19 (1829 views)
Shortcut
More theaters will likely had HFR before DoS, I imagine. [In reply to] Can't Post

If this poll is any indication, then HFR sales might be doing better than regular 3D. That'd give incentive for theaters to upgrade so they don't lose sales to theaters that do have HFR.

It all depends on the actual sales figures though, and I don't think we have those. The initial/critical reaction certainly seems completely at odds with the reaction by fans who've seen the movie multple times.

Lissuin
Valinor

Jan 25 2013, 8:47pm

Post #15 of 19 (1775 views)
Shortcut
My viewing experiences: 3D 48, 2D 24, 2D 24, 2D 24, 3D 48 [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried. I still feel more relaxed and get more out of the story in 24fps, though my second try with HFR yesterday was better than the first time because I knew what was coming in the story. I sat in the absolute center of the Embassy, Wellington with the large special edition Hobbit 3D glasses on. It was definitely easier watching the fast motion sequences in 48(zooming through Erebor, rabbit sled), but is that because it was shot to be shown with more frames? I don't remember other 24fps films having so much blur in quick scenes.

It was lovely that I felt I was in Bag End. Perhaps after I've seen a dozen films shot this way it will feel "normal", but it is still just distracting at the moment - pretty, but distracting. It'll be interesting to see how the next Avatar affects me, and the next Hobbit films, for that matter.

It was great seating for the Atmos surround sound, better than being against a wall as in my first time there; the snoring dwarves in the cave were very believable Laugh and forest sounds and the falling water in Rivendell were eerily realistic and added to the experience. I'm looking forward to nature documentaries in HFR with Atmos sound.

(This post was edited by Lissuin on Jan 25 2013, 8:48pm)

Kitch-wing of Granma

Jan 25 2013, 8:52pm

Post #16 of 19 (1851 views)
Shortcut
2D HFR, please! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed the HFR, but the 3D I'd rather do without.

3D is nice in close settings (like riddles), but for larger vistas it does nothing.

So for an epic like this I'm just annoyed by the glasses, but for chamber stuff the 3D adds so much that I can put up with that---at least in HFR.

I don't think I'll ever want to watch another 3D 24fps flick!

Kassandros
Rohan

Jan 25 2013, 9:28pm

Post #17 of 19 (1840 views)
Shortcut
Snoring Dwarves! [In reply to] Can't Post

Even without Dolby Atmos, I was completely tricked by the dwarves snoring the third time I saw the movie. The sound was so good, I thought someone had actually fallen asleep in the theater and was snoring up and to the right of me! It's possibe that the 3D HFR enhanced this effect because it made me feel like I was inside the film, but it could just have been the sound.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 27 2013, 7:27am

Post #18 of 19 (1795 views)
Shortcut
I have seen the 3D/HFR and I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

...the 3D is distracting, the glasses annoying, and the extra clarity only exposes the flaws in the special effects.

Hamfast
Rohan

Jan 27 2013, 5:25pm

Post #19 of 19 (3955 views)
Shortcut
Saw it in all formats.... [In reply to] Can't Post

including IMAX, and loved the 48 fps IMAX the most. Was disappointed at the standard 3D showing, but they were having technical issues at the beginning of the movie Frown

Even though I enjoyed the spiffy new format, I was just as entertained at the 2D showing, and don't feel the new technology is something I really need for theater enjoyment.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.