Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 24 2013, 5:37pm

Post #1 of 25 (221 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Another week, another update as we walk the roads of Middle Earth. How's the scenery where you are? Any new celebrations or challenges? And, for the fun of it, what's the most unique form of exercise you've ever enjoyed?

There and Back Again
Group Challenge Progress

Miles covered last week: 169.83
Cumulative miles: 10909.84
Miles along the journey: 727.32
Miles out of Rivendell: 330.32

Hi ho, hi ho, on the Forest Road we go! Okay, yes, wrong dwarves. I think we've been on the Forest Road so long now that everyone's starting to get a bit... well... loopy, for want of a better word. I distinctly saw Fili and Kili threatening to undo all of Dori's braids as he slept last night, Ori nervously egging them on. Bifur, thankfully, is a light sleeper, and he intervened in the nick of time, not that the boys understood him raining down curses in Old Dwarvish.

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 3
Cumulative miles: 444
Goal: There and Back Again!

Another errand-intensive week for me, as Beamer and I worked on her schooling. She's now taking two subjects at the online school and the rest at her brick-and-mortar school. So far so good, but I have a strong dislike of spending so much time in the car and sitting in meetings and not walking. sigh.

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 9
Cumulative miles: 438
Goal: Group Challenge

PE and dance for Beamer this past week, plus a mile when we went to the van Gogh exhibit and wandered the Denver Art Museum. The exhibit was exceptionally well-done and both kids made it through the whole exhibit fairly well, though I think my Hobbit survived because I was hugging him the entire time (he has some sensory issues; weight helps him stay calm).

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Angharad73
Rohan

Jan 24 2013, 8:03pm

Post #2 of 25 (119 views)
Shortcut
My first week... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is this where we post the results of our efforts? I hope I'm doing this right Blush

This is my first week doing this Smile And it was not a very good one as the weather was very bad, so I didn't go outside much at all and didn't get much of a workout. But anyway, here is my progress report:

Miles covered this week: 14
Cumulative miles: 14
Goal: There and Back Again!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 24 2013, 9:15pm

Post #3 of 25 (112 views)
Shortcut
You got it exactly right! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bummer 'bout the weather, exercise-wise. On the other hand, hopefully you're getting enough snow/rain - droughts are no fun, either!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Angharad73
Rohan

Jan 24 2013, 9:43pm

Post #4 of 25 (108 views)
Shortcut
Oh, good! [In reply to] Can't Post

... I did it alright then... Now I just have to get out more. Tongue

This time of year, there's no chance here to get too little rain or snow. I don't mind snow, but the ice rain we had this last week was a bit too much for me. Weather forecast for the next few days is much better - icy cold but dry, I like that.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 24 2013, 9:46pm

Post #5 of 25 (118 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I remember freezing rain when I lived in Oregon [In reply to] Can't Post

Now, that was downright dangerous. Ice rain sound similarly ominous. Stay safe!

FantasyFan
Rohan

Jan 25 2013, 12:26am

Post #6 of 25 (112 views)
Shortcut
I am determined to start this back up again. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have joined the fitness center at work, so I now have access to treadmills and rowing machines and exercise bicycles and torture machines of various types, all in the comfort of not 8 degrees (F) like it was outside earlier this week. So this week I had 12.51 miles, and then I got a nasty stomach bug and spent two days in bed. I'm taking it easy for a couple more days, and will be back at it on Monday.

(That would bring my total recorded miles up to 3439.55, if you count the 3427.04 miles from 2003-2006 in the original challenge. I actually do still have all the paperwork where I kept track. But I think I'd rather start over. So my total mileage is now 12.51 miles.)

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 25 2013, 2:25am

Post #7 of 25 (109 views)
Shortcut
The most unique exercise? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it has to be demo-ing my roof. I scraped off all the old shingles and helped re-shingle it green... and included the Tolkien symbol :)

The exercise I enjoy the most is walking my country roads. :)

Beamer, your Hobbit and you made it to a van Gogh exhibit!? That's fantastic! Hugs really do get you through a lot :D

Bilbo, Gandalf and I are still making our way to Rivendell. We've still got a ways to go, but at least we're on our way home.

Thanks lots for keeping us on the road Arandiel!!

Miles covered: 17
Cumulated miles: 1668
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

First draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 25 2013, 2:27am

Post #8 of 25 (106 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo!! Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's not right or wrong here... which makes it PERFECT! Well done on the mileage... what a great start :D

It's great to have you on the Quest with us. See you on the road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 25 2013, 2:31am

Post #9 of 25 (124 views)
Shortcut
*flying tackle hug* HEY FF! [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW! It's so great to see you!! I'm sorry you've been sick, though. It hink getting through this season without catching one of those bugs is going to be nothing short of a miracle :)

I did like you... started my count over again, but still keep a grand total from when we all first started yea these many years ago :D

See you on the road!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 25 2013, 3:00am

Post #10 of 25 (106 views)
Shortcut
First week... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've covered 22 miles this week! Mostly due to long walks in the woods with my dog over the weekend. After that the weather turned bitterly cold and I've been going out as little as possible...

So that's 22 miles towards the group goal, and 22 towards my personal goal ("The Hobbit" journey to the Lonely Mountain). I'll raise a glass to my fellow walkers at the Floating Log in Frogmorton, should be getting there tomorrow. Smile

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 25 2013, 9:16pm

Post #11 of 25 (96 views)
Shortcut
Hi, FF! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome back, get well, watch out for those torture machines, and I'm glad you're staying warm!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 25 2013, 9:21pm

Post #12 of 25 (100 views)
Shortcut
Ah, yes, roof mileage. Builds character! [In reply to] Can't Post

And for you, characters! Well, a J and two Rs, anyway - beautifully done, I might add. Thanks for sharing your pic! (and your mileage, and your general awesomeness...)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 25 2013, 9:29pm

Post #13 of 25 (105 views)
Shortcut
Ah, Frogmorton [In reply to] Can't Post

I hear it's quite pleasant on a fine May morning. Not so much in a January cold snap.Crazy

Stay warm on those walks!

Angharad73
Rohan

Jan 25 2013, 9:38pm

Post #14 of 25 (94 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully this week will be better... [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to walk and get outside a lot more than this, but over the last year or so I have become very lazy... Well, that's going to change now. I hope!

Angharad73
Rohan

Jan 25 2013, 9:43pm

Post #15 of 25 (98 views)
Shortcut
The weather here... [In reply to] Can't Post

... is not usually dangerous, but often rather ugly... I'm currently living in Germany, and before that I was in Ireland for rather a long time, which was ever bit as damp as it's said to be. I've never been to Oregon, but I've heard that is very beautiful there, freezing rain not withstanding...

sherlock
Gondor

Jan 26 2013, 12:16pm

Post #16 of 25 (93 views)
Shortcut
I really planned to get walking this week [In reply to] Can't Post

The vet ok'd it for my dog & I was so ready but now I have that awful cold/flu that's going around so I guess I should take it easy. What do you all think about exercising during an illness? I used to do it when I was young but now I'm not so sure. Need to keep up my strength for all the people/pets I take care of but who's going to take care of me?

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 26 2013, 4:16pm

Post #17 of 25 (96 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it depends on how you feel. I would not venture outside if it's nasty weather with your cold, and esp. if it's the flu. Maybe just do some light stretching or something similar.

When I was in the hospital after The Little Goblin was born, and also having heart issues, my cardiologist told me that lying around in bed is almost as detrimental as being sick. He used to work with the swimmers from the Univ. of TX and if they had to stop swimming due to injury, it was the inactivity that often did more harm in terms of overall fitness than the injury itself. They'd lose muscle mass just by their inactivity. Which could explain why you get so restless and stir crazy after being sick.

And sometimes you just have to allow yourself to be sick once in a while. Take care of you! Smile

PS: Glad your pup is feeling better, too.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 26 2013, 4:22pm

Post #18 of 25 (125 views)
Shortcut
Hooray for Cub Scouts! [In reply to] Can't Post

Otherwise, I wouldn't have any miles to report. Crazy

Yesterday, I took a group of boys around a neighborhood to hang door flyers on people's homes. The scouts are having a food drive, so we were letting people know about it. We did a whole neighborhood, so I'd say it was about two miles. And the weather was great: upper seventies, light cool breeze, wispy clouds. Of course we're paying for that nice weather today with cold, overcast, drizzly weather. Frown

Mileage since last time: 2
Cumulative miles: 634.55

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 26 2013, 5:54pm

Post #19 of 25 (92 views)
Shortcut
I've always listened to my body on this one... [In reply to] Can't Post

If I am sick with a cold but still have enough energy to go to work, etc. then I try to exercise too, though I'd avoid severe cold and pull back on the intensity compared to my usual workout (walk slower, lift less weight, spend less time on it, etc.)

But sometimes when I am sick all my body wants to do is sleep, in which case, that is what I do until I feel better.

I hope you feel better soon!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 26 2013, 11:04pm

Post #20 of 25 (85 views)
Shortcut
^ What they said! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad your dog's doing better. Now, it's time for you both to be better together! Do get well soon, sherlock!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 26 2013, 11:08pm

Post #21 of 25 (84 views)
Shortcut
That's motivation! [In reply to] Can't Post

Was it more like chasing after a bunch of enthusiastic kids or coaxing along a bunch of recalcitrant kids? It makes all the difference, you know! Wink

Bummer about the turn in the weather, but it's good to hear you're getting some rain.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 27 2013, 11:57pm

Post #22 of 25 (77 views)
Shortcut
Well done!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a great stretch of the leg, fersher! That sound like one of the best ways to put on some mileage... walking in the woods with your dog.

*raises mug* Here's to you... and WELL DONE AGAIN!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 28 2013, 12:37am

Post #23 of 25 (81 views)
Shortcut
It a matter of perspective and proportion [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just come back from visiting my 91yo Mom, and I was commending her on getting up and down the stairs, taking the garbage out to the curb, shoveled her porch, brought in armloads of wood for the fireplace, etc. all in one day. She laughed and said, "Remember when I came home from the hospital (nearly 2 years ago now) and it was such an effort to walk from my chair to the kitchen? (24 steps). I didn't think I'd ever make it."

For her, that effort was like running a marathon... but she took her time and didn't over exert. Do the same for yourself. Keep moving and making the effort as much as you can without putting yourself at risk of injury or antagonizing your situation, but be gentle with yourself... treating yourself the same way you would those you love. It's all a matter of perspective :)

I hope you feel better very soon. *warm hug*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Iolani
Rivendell

Jan 28 2013, 7:19pm

Post #24 of 25 (78 views)
Shortcut
Sorry I'm late! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is last week's progress! I'm so glad we're all on the go again! The weather here has been so nice--I'm am SO grateful! LaughCool Hopefully with the weather like this (although it's supposed to get colder again--no surprise--it's January!) I'll be getting steady mileage!

last week: 9.4
cumulative: 849.6
goal: There and Back Again Group Challenge!

I'm eager to see what we accomplish this week! Keep going guys!SlyHeart

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 28 2013, 7:44pm

Post #25 of 25 (93 views)
Shortcut
*breaks out the wizard hat* [In reply to] Can't Post

An Iolani is never late - she arrives exactly when she means to!

Thanks for the encouragement; it really helps knowing that we're working toward our destination together.

Speaking of which...
*heads for treadmill*

Have fun exercising this week, even if the weather cools down!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.