Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I can't remember this;

Erally
Bree

Jan 24 2013, 7:10am

Post #1 of 10 (1111 views)
Shortcut
I can't remember this; Can't Post

How does Gandalf know it was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand ? And what if PJ made a small piece for '' The hunt for Gollum'' in the Hobbit ? That would be cool ! To see Gollum talking with Gandalf ! amazing ! P.s. Sorry for this '' easy '' question.

deskp
Lorien

Jan 24 2013, 7:44am

Post #2 of 10 (546 views)
Shortcut
chat [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo and gandalf becomes proper friends no?

you'd imagine they would talk about it at some point.

Súlimë
Rivendell

Jan 24 2013, 7:54am

Post #3 of 10 (546 views)
Shortcut
Someone's already done it! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And what if PJ made a small piece for '' The hunt for Gollum'' in the Hobbit ? That would be cool ! To see Gollum talking with Gandalf !

Someone's already made that movie Tongue, and it's decently good! (considering their small budget!)

Oin's parasite
Rivendell

Jan 24 2013, 12:05pm

Post #4 of 10 (440 views)
Shortcut
Pipe weed and good company can make things slip... [In reply to] Can't Post

"I've got parasites as big as my arm!"

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 24 2013, 1:50pm

Post #5 of 10 (377 views)
Shortcut
Movie isn't accurate [In reply to] Can't Post

How does Gandalf know it was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand ?

In the book Bilbo tells the story to everyone after he escapes. The movie left that out.

And what if PJ made a small piece for '' The hunt for Gollum'' in the Hobbit

That would be a fun bonus scene to include on a future expanded movie 6 pack. Viggo would need to come back, though.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 24 2013, 3:41pm

Post #6 of 10 (312 views)
Shortcut
Plenty of time for Bilbo to tell Gandalf the story... [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if the movie alters events, Bilbo still has years and years to tell Gandalf the tale so that the Wizard can relay it to Frodo.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

julia0925
The Shire

Jan 24 2013, 5:50pm

Post #7 of 10 (262 views)
Shortcut
Not quite true [In reply to] Can't Post

Biblo kept his ring a secret for a little while--I remember one of the dwarves was a little upset to think that Bilbo had snuck past him while he was on watch (I forget which one--in the book I can't keep the dwarves straight). Bilbo does admit to having the ring at one point, though, I don't remember exactly when, but the movie didn't get that far.

It also might seem that Bilbo would tell Frodo about jumping over Gollumn, but maybe forget to tell him about having pity for the little guy. In their travels back to Hobbiton I'm sure Gandalf and Bilbo had much to talk about, and that's the sort of thing Gandalf would ask about.

-----
Lotr: You know it's been a bad day when even the elf is smudged.
TH: when the going gets tough, the tough call the eagles.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 24 2013, 6:52pm

Post #8 of 10 (243 views)
Shortcut
Balin... [In reply to] Can't Post

was the Dwarf that Bilbo slipped past, after leaving the Goblin tunnels.

If I recall, Bilbo has to tell the Dwarves about the Ring when they are attacked by the spiders in Mirkwood. After they escaped from the spiders and are resting in one of the open areas left by the feasting Wood-elves, Bilbo tells them a version of how he got the Ring--only he told them Gollum had given it to him as a present, either for answering the riddles correctly or Gollum not being able to answer the last riddle (I think the second). Bilbo did tell Gandalf the true story years later, including how he decided to spare Gollum's life--he has to actually threaten Bilbo somewhat to get the story--as Gandalf tells Frodo in Fellowship of the Ring. Apparently Bilbo also told Frodo the true story when he decided to make Frodo his heir.

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 24 2013, 7:30pm

Post #9 of 10 (213 views)
Shortcut
That's right [In reply to] Can't Post

I should go read The Hobbit again.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 24 2013, 7:47pm

Post #10 of 10 (253 views)
Shortcut
I keep a copy... [In reply to] Can't Post

with me at all times Tongue

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.