Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The New Shadow

emre43
Lorien

Jan 23 2013, 7:16pm

Post #1 of 12 (390 views)
Shortcut
The New Shadow Can't Post

I was just wondering if anybody has a transcript of Tolkien's uncompleted sequel to the Lord of the Rings 'The New Shadow'? I have never read it, a lot of people have said that it is chilling but I can't find a copy of it anywhere.

Thanks in advance Smile

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 23 2013, 7:37pm

Post #2 of 12 (252 views)
Shortcut
It is published [In reply to] Can't Post

in the book The Peoples of Middle-earth. You can purchase a copy online at places such as Amazon, or many local libraries have it in their collections. I'd recommend either option.

However, you should know it's only about 10 pages long. It's of course interesting, but it's really nothing more than an introduction to the story. And there are basically no notes about how the story would have played out. Still, it's a good read, and I hope you'll get a hold of it and enjoy it.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2013, 8:58pm

Post #3 of 12 (219 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't call it chilling at all [In reply to] Can't Post

Rather mundane, I think. Still, even the little bit there is interesting insight into where the good professor might have gone with a post-Sauron world.

Tolkien did say that he abandoned it because it would be nothing but a mere thriller (or something to that effect).

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2013, 9:11pm

Post #4 of 12 (234 views)
Shortcut
I know I keep harping on about this - [In reply to] Can't Post

- Smile - the 1992 Centenary conference, that is. I was looking up my notes the other day. One of the week's many highlights was hearing Christopher Tolkien reading 'The New Shadow' in Oxford's Sheldonian Theatre. I remember the entire audience was silent, attentive and (if my experiences were anything to go by), _trying to remember every word_.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jan 24 2013, 1:20am

Post #5 of 12 (185 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know it existed [In reply to] Can't Post

I had thought that The New Shadow was a rumor or hoax. So there really was something written? Now I'm curious too.

Can anyone tell me what the introduction's about?

emre43
Lorien

Jan 24 2013, 4:42am

Post #6 of 12 (174 views)
Shortcut
Thanks very much for the info, I shall have a look. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 24 2013, 3:56pm

Post #7 of 12 (143 views)
Shortcut
It's basically just two people talking [In reply to] Can't Post

And there's a dark secret hinted at, but we never get that far. Still an interesting read, though.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 24 2013, 3:56pm

Post #8 of 12 (133 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 24 2013, 4:50pm

Post #9 of 12 (137 views)
Shortcut
And it takes place in Gondor [In reply to] Can't Post

after the reign of Elessar. No Hobbits...Frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 24 2013, 5:25pm

Post #10 of 12 (132 views)
Shortcut
Hobbits [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there was potential to have some hobbits in it, though of course, we'll never know.

I actually don't need the hobbits. I know some people love them, but they're not necessary for me. I think it could have made a nice "Hobbit trilogy" though.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jan 25 2013, 1:38am

Post #11 of 12 (104 views)
Shortcut
It does sound interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to check it out.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jan 25 2013, 1:39am

Post #12 of 12 (131 views)
Shortcut
Aw, no Hobbits. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like Hobbits. But then, The Silmarillion didn't have Hobbits, and it's still good.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.