Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A John Howe & Alan Lee thread?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 23 2013, 10:37am

Post #1 of 24 (839 views)
Shortcut
A John Howe & Alan Lee thread? Can't Post

Bomby is about their same age
and feels TORn is over-Looking
their combinded influence on this...

kareniel
Lorien

Jan 23 2013, 11:35am

Post #2 of 24 (462 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

After all, their conceptual drawings drive most of the set and costume designs, don't they? So strongly does their work influence the tone of the films, it almost seems they have a firsthand knowledge of what Middle-earth looks like. I wonder: Have they been there?

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 23 2013, 12:24pm

Post #3 of 24 (423 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

Their input was one of the things that drew me to the previous films and that still holds good. Their work brings such depth and beauty to PJ's Middle Earth - hard to imagine the films without them.

Elvanui
Rivendell

Jan 23 2013, 12:24pm

Post #4 of 24 (418 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful people :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Their drawings and designs are all over most of the pages in the Weta Chronicles book. They're just masterful. I met them once at an event in London and they're very friendly, gracious people to chat with too Evil

"...under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth."

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 23 2013, 12:39pm

Post #5 of 24 (406 views)
Shortcut
Good thread [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed, Howe and Lee have surpassed my wildest expectations once again.

I absolutely loved Goblin-Town, Erebor and Rhosgobel, as well as some of the new areas of Rivendell (The White Council area and the moon-rune table). And don't get me started on Dale...easily one of my favourites of their designs thus far, along with the Dwarrowdelf hall, Edoras, Lothlorien and Minas Tirith.

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

andwise
Rivendell

Jan 23 2013, 12:47pm

Post #6 of 24 (418 views)
Shortcut
praise for the artists [In reply to] Can't Post

Quite right.john Howe and Alan lee have been hugely influential in how non Tolkien fans have been drawn in to the movies.everything just looks so real even when its fantastical it always retains a certain realism.just another thought though,I've always thought that Ted naismiths work has played a part in PJs vision of middle earth.I'm thinking of frodo and Sam looking down to emyn muil at the end of FOTR,the dead marshes,the pass of caradrhas,even rivendell.his name never gets mentioned but I'm sure his work was used to inspire certain shots.anyone agree?

(This post was edited by andwise on Jan 23 2013, 12:49pm)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 23 2013, 2:15pm

Post #7 of 24 (364 views)
Shortcut
Oh and how [In reply to] Can't Post

Could I forget Dol Guldur? Another one of my absolute favourite designs thus far.

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 23 2013, 2:27pm

Post #8 of 24 (374 views)
Shortcut
It never struck me that way... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like Nasmith's work - very much, some of it. His landscapes are breathtaking.

But surely the point is that John Howe and Alan Lee have actually been employed to work on the films. They've spent years in New Zealand drawing everything from Hobbiton to Mordor, and from thrones to bottles to travel bags. Their work is the visual inspiration for what we see on screen.

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 23 2013, 3:01pm

Post #9 of 24 (357 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I hope no one is overlooking them! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am just astounded by the work they do. I love the production video blogs because it really showcases their hard work. I thought it was amazing that they were working in tandem to create 3D images in order to give PJ an more in-depth visual to work from. Honestly, if I could own anything at all from the movie, it would be any of the illustrations they did.

I also hope they do the end credits like they did for LotR, with a pencil drawing of each character. I thought that it was a perfect way to end the first trilogy, I would be disappointed if it weren't done with this one.

(This post was edited by bborchar on Jan 23 2013, 3:03pm)

Silmaril
Lorien

Jan 23 2013, 3:07pm

Post #10 of 24 (352 views)
Shortcut
btw is there a "silmarillion" book available with illustrations from Howe or Lee? [In reply to] Can't Post

they are both great! their making of stuff is amazing!

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 23 2013, 4:02pm

Post #11 of 24 (337 views)
Shortcut
How about one illustrated by Nasmith [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the copy I have (signed by the artist, as well) and I'm very happy with it.

I 'appreciate' Lee's illustrations but I don't really like them all that much. There isn't enough range of light to dark for me. It's all pretty much the same value and I have a hard time deciphering the image.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 23 2013, 4:44pm

Post #12 of 24 (324 views)
Shortcut
It's rare [In reply to] Can't Post

...to find this kind of influence on a set of films from the artist standpoint. Most films don't need a heavy dose of art to shape and form our ideas about the world we enter into. Sci-fi and fantasy rely on art, renderings, sketches, textural details so much more than any other type of film. In the case of Lee and Howe, they already had a great body of work to draw upon.

Although we all have images in our heads about what we want to see, they've done a good job of obliterating my original pictures!

The only movie 'look and feel' that didn't at all match what I had in mind was Weathertop and the look of the tower ruins. Other than that, most everything else has had great detail.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jan 23 2013, 5:33pm

Post #13 of 24 (327 views)
Shortcut
howe thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

yes they are brilliant!!

I wonder were the the design of the dwarves came from though?

if you look at ll/howes dwarf drawings they are typical of what i expect t see a dwarf look like?

howes thorin pictures from before, for example is so far from pjs final design! a bit annoying

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jan 23 2013, 8:12pm

Post #14 of 24 (279 views)
Shortcut
My only complain [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Dol Guldur could have been a bit more threatening but we havent seen much of it yet! Cool

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2013, 8:32pm

Post #15 of 24 (266 views)
Shortcut
The creators of all they survey. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this photo. They did this! It's such a pity we only see a few seconds of beautiful Dale before it is destroyed.

They and PJ have certainly created my vision of the cultures of M-e through the films. After collecting their prints and books for years, it was a delight to share a few words with them here in Wellington to just say, "Thanks".

imin
Valinor

Jan 23 2013, 9:11pm

Post #16 of 24 (255 views)
Shortcut
They are immense in shaping PJ's M-e [In reply to] Can't Post

I think its probably these two artists which have done more to shape people's minds on what is M-e than probably anyone else.

For me my favourite would be Alan Lee out of the two, i think the landscapes he draws match my own mental image of the place the best, the one negative that could be said against him is some people think they all have the same colours, but i dont agree. His drawings for The Children of Hurin are perfect for the book and the mood the book produces.

I love both (each bring something to the table and i think their styles compliment each other brilliantly. Ted Nasmith who has been mentioned here - he cant really do people very well but his landscapes are excellent - i have his Tol Brandir and Barad-dur both of which are great.

burrahobbit
Rohan

Jan 23 2013, 10:12pm

Post #17 of 24 (249 views)
Shortcut
Was their influence a bit less for AUJ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah good thread subject. I am a huge fan of both artists, and think their combined visions were essential to making the LotR movies such a success and a wonderfully rich and coherent vision.

In AUJ I found the production style a bit less coherent and occasionally distant from Lee and Howe's many Hobbit book illustrations (I haven't been following vlogs etc so I don't know what features in particular they have been working on). The design of the dwarves for example was very different to their previous artworks. Azog didn't feel like a Lee or Howe design to me.

So obviously The Hobbit is a very different book and naturally suits a different visual style. PJ has chosen to go for something bolder, brighter and more cartoonish in some respects. It's interesting to compare this to how Alan Lee and John Howe's style adapted when they illustrating editions of the Hobbit book. Lee's Hobbit illustrations are for example softer, more dream-like and fairy-tale than his LotR works.

Presumably it's the big new locations where the most exciting production design work has occurred. Dale and Erebor looked really spectacular, and hopefully Mirkwood and the Elven King's halls will be wonderful additions too.

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 23 2013, 10:53pm

Post #18 of 24 (229 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Not only did they have to come up with all that beautiful artwork. But they had to do it in 3D! I remember in one of the blogs, they were each drawing the same pic, one in red, one in blue. And to be able to make each pic look exactly the same is amazing!! Shocked

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2013, 1:55am

Post #19 of 24 (209 views)
Shortcut
Agree entirely, they are very humble people in themselves, so we perhaps automatically don't pay attention as much to their contribution indeed. // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 24 2013, 2:39am

Post #20 of 24 (218 views)
Shortcut
Thang you..Very Buch...Wonderful posts..but [In reply to] Can't Post

How come only Alan Lee won an
... Oscar and John Howe

Did not?

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2013, 6:48am

Post #21 of 24 (208 views)
Shortcut
More Lee... [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you all seen the book "Faeries" that Lee did with Brian Froud back in the...um... 70s? early 80s?

And the (1992, I think) Lord of the Rings illustrated by Lee; the characters look very much like what ended up in the films.

And then there is Children of Hurin. OOOOOOOOOOOOO Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Go outside and play...

Silmaril
Lorien

Jan 24 2013, 6:54am

Post #22 of 24 (192 views)
Shortcut
i know this one, but i would prefer one with Lee (or Howe)! [In reply to] Can't Post

i know this one, but i would prefer one with Alan Lee! Like the LotR and Hobbit book...which i love! One with illustrations by John Howe would be interesting too.

In Reply To
That's the copy I have (signed by the artist, as well) and I'm very happy with it.

I 'appreciate' Lee's illustrations but I don't really like them all that much. There isn't enough range of light to dark for me. It's all pretty much the same value and I have a hard time deciphering the image.

imin
Valinor

Jan 24 2013, 10:11am

Post #23 of 24 (183 views)
Shortcut
I know its not quite what you are after but [In reply to] Can't Post

Alan Lee has done many paintings of the first age and you can get them in little postcards. If you wanted you could place the postcards into a suitably sized Silmarillion book and it would kinda work? Or just have them next to you as you read through it.

For me his work suits the first age wonderfully.

Still i have the copy Magpie is talking about (signed as well) and his work is brilliant just thought i would mention it as i think its great, lol.

Glaurung63
Lorien

Jan 25 2013, 3:01am

Post #24 of 24 (176 views)
Shortcut
Love them both [In reply to] Can't Post

And met Alan Lee...he signed my Hobbit book that he illustrated...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.