Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
It starts with Azog...it comes to fruition with Radagast....

jtarkey
Rohan

Jan 22 2013, 4:04am

Views: 1269
Shortcut
It starts with Azog...it comes to fruition with Radagast.... Can't Post

I want to start by saying this:

When I first saw the film...I loved it. I instantly knew it wasn't as good as Lord of the Rings but, at the same time, I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was. Now, I still really enjoy the film, but I've come to a realization latley after countless viewings.

The film, both as an adaptation and a cinematic venture, really begins to go down hill once Azog and Radagast enter the picture. Everything up until the flashbacks to Radagast and the battle at Moria is pretty much perfect.

This is interesting, because I'm talking from both the standpoint of the book, and the standpoint of a cinematic story. For me, it is dramatically apparent how clunky the story becomes once it veers away from Tolkiens book. Radagast feels totally out of place. His arc has no payoff whatsoever, nor does it have anything to do with the quest. Same goes for Azog. So far, neither of these characters, or the stories in which they embody, have anything to do with the dwarves reclaiming Erebor, or Bilbo growing personally. And then, once the company enters Goblin Town, the film feels right again. Riddles in the Dark is a great scene that certainly highlights the film.

Now, this could be remedied in the next two installments. If it is, it will prove that the film needs the other two in order to work in it's own right (a problem that none of the LOTR films had). If it isn't, it really just seems like sloppy film making. If anything is evident, it's that the 3 film split has already proven to hurt the films. I really wanted to believe that The Hobbit could be tied beautifully to LOTR, but at this point, it just doesn't seem like it's going to happen as well as I thought it would. The invented material has robbed the story of it's charm. Combine that with the off putting visual aesthetic of the production, and the lack of character development, and you have something truly disappointing on your hands.

I need to re-state that I really enjoy the movie. However, i feel a lot of sympathy for board members who have expressed their problems with the film. I feel, if you have to extensively rationalize why the film is actually great, you are kind of kidding yourself. Critics aren't being overly cynical, nor are people who dislike the film. I've always been very positive about this whole experience, even a few weeks after opening day, I was defending certain aspects of the film. Then I realized... "if I need to defend this, and try very hard to make sense of it, there must be a problem".

In conclusion, when the film sticks close to Tolkien, and the style and aesthetic associated with the LOTR films, it shines. When it veers drastically away, and tries too hard to connect the two trilogies with imaginary plot lines and shallow characters, it really falls flat.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Subject User Time
It starts with Azog...it comes to fruition with Radagast.... jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Jan 22 2013, 4:04am
    I don't feel the need to rationalize why I like it... bborchar Send a private message to bborchar Jan 22 2013, 4:24am
        No, no, I'm not taking it very seriously... jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Jan 22 2013, 4:29am
            That's fine.. bborchar Send a private message to bborchar Jan 22 2013, 4:40am
                I've been into filmmaking my whole life... jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Jan 22 2013, 4:48am
                    two cents from a book fan and a cinema fan Mooseboy018 Send a private message to Mooseboy018 Jan 22 2013, 5:39am
                        I thought Radagast's intro and the moria flashback were done well lurtz2010 Send a private message to lurtz2010 Jan 22 2013, 6:25am
                    As a film enthusiast, I disagree about Azog Arthael Send a private message to Arthael Jan 22 2013, 3:54pm
    like Saruman vs Gandalf in FOTR irodino Send a private message to irodino Jan 22 2013, 6:29am
    If you compare it to the LotR Súlimë Send a private message to Súlimë Jan 22 2013, 7:58am
    On Azog... glor Send a private message to glor Jan 22 2013, 8:58am
        Fascinating insights, glor. Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Jan 22 2013, 10:02am
            It also explains the nazgul theme glor Send a private message to glor Jan 22 2013, 10:07am
                Well, that goes along with Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Jan 22 2013, 10:27am
        Interesting Gelir Send a private message to Gelir Jan 22 2013, 4:42pm
    Or, maybe not, just possibly. Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Jan 22 2013, 9:40am
        Radagast is given the duty of discovering the darkness growing in mirkwood jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Jan 22 2013, 10:50am
            Wait, though. Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Jan 22 2013, 11:11am
                its just my opinion... jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Jan 22 2013, 11:37am
    Philippa Boyens and Fran Walsh simply can't write Nightwing Send a private message to Nightwing Jan 22 2013, 9:56am
        So you think they can only wrong? Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Jan 22 2013, 10:44am
        They write for the masses stoutfiles Send a private message to stoutfiles Jan 22 2013, 1:41pm
            Cliches work... bborchar Send a private message to bborchar Jan 22 2013, 2:23pm
                Well said Súlimë Send a private message to Súlimë Jan 22 2013, 2:55pm
    your argument is a circle Lindele Send a private message to Lindele Jan 22 2013, 1:11pm
        My argument is not a circle...for me jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Jan 22 2013, 8:59pm
            The things added to this film... bborchar Send a private message to bborchar Jan 22 2013, 9:28pm
                Love This Thread IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin Jan 22 2013, 10:20pm
                    My thoughts... bborchar Send a private message to bborchar Jan 22 2013, 10:36pm
                    Good Questions jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Jan 22 2013, 10:55pm
    The only things that bother me about Radagast are bird crap, stick insects and eye rolling. Azog is another matter AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jan 23 2013, 11:12pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.