Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

deej
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2013, 5:58pm

Post #1 of 41 (354 views)
Shortcut
What movies did you watch this weekend? Can't Post

Tell us about them here!

"The Hobbits bowed low. 'Most gracious host', said Frodo, 'It was said to me by Elrond Half-Elven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. Certainly I have found no such friendship as you have shown. To have found it turns evil to great good."

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2013, 6:22pm

Post #2 of 41 (196 views)
Shortcut
Les Miserables; Django Unchained; The Hobbit AUJ again. [In reply to] Can't Post

Les Miserables -- in a word, miserable! I had forgotten just what a sad and depressing story this is. I'm not knocking the story, or the actors, or the music -- it just was a real downer. Some critics have complained of Russel Crowe's singing ability, but I thought he did a decent job. He didn't have the air of menace I had expected though. Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway were both amazing, as was the young man (I forget his name) who fell for Cosette. The two children were terrific. And Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter were bright little spots of comedy.

Django Unchained -- I was a little leery of this one, since it was supposed to be violent and gory. It was violent and profane, but Tarantino's gore was so over the top it didn't have the effect I expected. Christoph Waltz was terrific. di Caprio was predictably slightly insane and Jamie Foxx makes a good action hero. It wasn't the violence itself that bothered me but the mindset (or lack thereof) of some of the perpetrators that bothered me most. The scene with the dogs was the worst.

AUJ again -- I really, really like this. I've been humming the dwarves' song ever since. Looking forward to the next two movies! I took the g'son again, I think he might become a Tolkien fan too.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 6:27pm

Post #3 of 41 (189 views)
Shortcut
Final two episodes of 'GoT' Season One [In reply to] Can't Post

My spouse was complaining about the predictability of the outcome with the dragon eggs. I reminded her that the Dothraki would not be familiar with common fantasy tropes.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 21 2013, 6:49pm

Post #4 of 41 (176 views)
Shortcut
in the last week or so: Pitch Perfect; Forsyte Saga (2002); Life; Community [In reply to] Can't Post

Pitch Perfect
I watched Pitch Perfect last week but by time I had a chance to post, the movie thread was on page 2.

I enjoy a cappella singing groups. If you enjoyed the NBC competition show, The Sing Off, with Ben Folds, et. al., then you might enjoy this movie.

That said, it's the sort of comedy movie that has some mildy gross and lewd moments - in the style that seems popular these days. I enjoyed it quite a bit as pure entertainment.

Forsyte Saga (2002)
I was browsing selections on Amazon Prime streaming and decided to give The Forsyte Saga a try. Now, this is a 2002 version of a series of books that was also turned into a popular 1967 BBC series. I had not read the books or watched the earlier BBC version or any other version.

My first reaction was that I didn't like it much.I think I'm having a little personal problem watching rich people with problems! lol. Also, I really like Damien Lewis, although I've only seen him (before this) in the tv show Life and Band of Brothers. I just am captivated by the characters he portrays and I think that's in large part due to what skill he brings to portraying those characters. But the character he played in this story was not very likable. I don't think the characters were really developed all that effectively. The story jumps ahead in time quite a bit so it's more like we're window peeping (in a slightly salacious, soap opera-y way) into what they're up to more than we're delving into their character and motivations and growth. But it was disappointing not to like Soames Forsyte and Lewis' portrayal of him.

I did stick with it and I either shed some of my personal limitations or the story grew on me or it just got better. Because, by the end, I was a bit more engaged in the characters and I came to understand what Lewis was doing with Soames. It was an unlikable character partly because the character was so repressed and shut down. Lewis is skilled enough to let some glimpses of motivation and feeling show through even a crusty, shut down exterior. And that redeemed the story enough, in the end, for me to say I 'liked' it.

It will never rank high in my list of likes and I doubt I'd either rewatch this or check out any other adaptations.

Life / Community
I decided I liked Life so much I wanted to rewatch it and I'm in the process of doing that. This was a sleeper show. If you haven't seen it, it's worth checking out. I like both Damien Lewis and Sarah Shahi (who we enjoyed in Fairly Legal - a show that was recently cancelled)

And we've been watching Community on DVD - not having watched any of it as it airs. Some shows make us howl. Others make us scratch our head. It's a wacky blend of low humor and high creativity. It's fun reading the trivia sections of the episodes at imdb.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 21 2013, 7:04pm

Post #5 of 41 (193 views)
Shortcut
I was considering [In reply to] Can't Post

Django Unchained purely because of DiCaprio, but was leery of seeing another Tarantino violence-fest. Now that you've mentioned a bad scene with dogs, I definitely won't see the film. Thanks for the warning!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 7:23pm

Post #6 of 41 (185 views)
Shortcut
Exactly the same reaction [In reply to] Can't Post

As soon as I read 'bad scene with dogs' I was off.
Mind you, I have little time for Tarantino anyway.

squire
Valinor

Jan 21 2013, 7:36pm

Post #7 of 41 (196 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Django was better than I expected [In reply to] Can't Post

The gore is comically over-the-top. I agree that some of the brutality shown towards the slaves is horrific, but the camera does not show as much as suggest the horror. And even those scenes (the dogs, the whipping, etc.) lack any sense of historical "realism". That was my main reaction to the film even as I watched it: "This isn't real. Not remotely so. This has nothing to do with the 1850s South; even the costumes, settings, and lighting are deliberately wrong. And yet it is obviously a serious film. So what is it really about?"

I'm still not sure, and I feel I should try reading what the critics have been saying. Meanwhile, my best guess at this point is that Tarantino wanted to explore how to make a Hollywood Western about slavery, while being unable to do so as a 21st-century filmmaker without a lot of self-referential mirror-gazing in terms of style, dialogue, and generic moments. The only film I would dare to compare it to, head to head, is Blazing Saddles.

It is, also, about 40 minutes too long. How I wish directors could recognize the difference between two hours and three hours from an audience's point of view. The longer the film, the absolutely better it has to be, in order to outrun the tendency towards viewer fatigue and even boredom. A three hour film has to be almost perfect, as far as I'm concerned, and perfect films are (of course) far and few between by definition.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2013, 7:44pm

Post #8 of 41 (163 views)
Shortcut
East of Eden [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been wanting to see this one for a long time, namely because of James Dean. Such a great movie, though! I couldn't believe how fast it flew by. Really got into the characters, and visually it was eye candy. I definitely wasn't disappointed with Dean, either - another stellar flick for the library! Smile

Oh, and I saw The Hobbit for my fifth time .... for the first time since opening week, I might add. Tongue

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 8:08pm

Post #9 of 41 (165 views)
Shortcut
I love that movie! [In reply to] Can't Post

Did I mention that I love it? Cool I love the shots of Cal lying in the field, in amongst the beans or whatever the crop is, it's been ages since I saw it.
I always have trouble with the female lead, though. I don't know what it is about her, but I think she seems too old for the role, and her strange hairdo always distracts me.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 21 2013, 8:14pm

Post #10 of 41 (163 views)
Shortcut
As soon as I saw "Tarantino" I was off. // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 21 2013, 8:18pm

Post #11 of 41 (162 views)
Shortcut
I agree completely with you on the three hour movie // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 21 2013, 8:29pm

Post #12 of 41 (171 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad to read your review of Les Miserables [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been half tempted to see it, but I'm really not in the mood for anything depressing right now, so I've been avoiding it. And I think that's the right choice for me.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 21 2013, 10:22pm

Post #13 of 41 (151 views)
Shortcut
The Natural [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd forgotten that someone got me the Blu-ray edition. Enjoyed it.

paperC
Rivendell

Jan 21 2013, 11:35pm

Post #14 of 41 (157 views)
Shortcut
Django Unchained. And it was better than AUJ. Why the Tarantino hate? [In reply to] Can't Post

What a brilliant film. I can't understand how some of you hate him? What's the deal? The gore isn't bad at all.

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 11:47pm

Post #15 of 41 (170 views)
Shortcut
I refuse to see any Tarantino film [In reply to] Can't Post

because of the way he comes across in interviews. I'm not feeding that enormous ego in any way.

And yes: "bad scene with dogs" is also a killer.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 11:58pm

Post #16 of 41 (155 views)
Shortcut
I would recommend [In reply to] Can't Post

seeing the earlier adaptation of "A Forsyte Saga"; much, much better than the latter one! It's out on DVD now.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Aethelwyne Bolger
Bree

Jan 22 2013, 1:38am

Post #17 of 41 (154 views)
Shortcut
Took the kids to see The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

My niece and nephew, that is. It was so sweet, they kept hugging me and saying thank you for taking us. I wanted to see The Hobbit again, this time through the eyes of children and what they would like or not like. Of course, Joey thought the white orc on the white warg was awesome. Ariel loved the scenes at Bag End but Joey thought it took a little long. The White Council was excruciatingly long for both of them, but they laughed at the dwarves' antics at Rivendell like the vegetarian meal or including making Bombur break the table he was sitting on by giving him one too many sausages. Ariel thought Radagast was a bit crazy but they both loved the bunny sled!
The only time I worried was when they were fighting the goblins and Ariel, 9, asked me how much longer would the movie be because her dolly, Dell, was only 2 months old and was getting scared. In other words, a bit too intense for Ariel. I'm glad I made the decision not to bring Steven, 6. But they loved the movie and can't wait for next year!
So, I thought Peter Jackson did a great job. The scenes I thought were full of fun and whimsy but got the most complaints, the children loved. And The Hobbit was written for children, after all. If Tolkien could've been sitting there watching them laugh over the plates flying about Bag End or gasping over Gollum or worrying about Auntie Audra crying (again) over Dale and the Dwarf refugees, Gollum's heartbreak, Thorin's backstory, and Bilbo's courage, I'm sure he would have approved!

The weekend before, I was hanging with my friends and we thought about Les Miz, but I told them it was a deep, depressing (but rewarding movie) and they hadn't seen me in ages and wanted to see something light. They took me kicking and screaming (inside) to see Parental Guidance.( I liked Billy Crystal years ago, but thought he was out of touch at the Oscars) We should have took a bet on me enjoying the movie, because they would have won big. It was hilarious! I've never laughed so hard at a movie that I can remember! The whole audience was roaring through the movie. I HIGHLY recommend it!

Tarantino was so mean and egotistical on American Idol, I couldn't feed his ego either. And I don't like language or violence. But they say Django Unchained uses violence in a thought provoking way, to show how we are only three to five generations removed from the generation that would beat and rape and set dogs on slaves. I still don't want to see it, though!

Aethelwyne was so 10 years ago! Bellawen is who I am, right here, right now.

(This post was edited by Aethelwyne Bolger on Jan 22 2013, 1:40am)

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 22 2013, 2:42am

Post #18 of 41 (145 views)
Shortcut
My Name is Earl... [In reply to] Can't Post

This is an Interesting little comedy series from a few years back - clever and irreverent humor that a mom and a teen son can both laugh at and a bit inspiring when they hit it right. Think live action Simpsons with some karma thrown in.

Weaver

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 22 2013, 3:11am

Post #19 of 41 (148 views)
Shortcut
Saw Django yesterday, loved it [In reply to] Can't Post

it was a bit long perhaps (is what she said) - I'm wondering if he conceived it in two parts (like Kill Bill, still my favourite Tarantino) but decided to cram it into one film somewhere along the way.

I am concerned that Tarantino is in a bit of an alternate reality revenge groove. Not that I'm complaining. However slavery and its reverberations through the years were overcome by a willingness to stand up for human rights, yes. But a major part of that struggle has been a willingness to turn the other cheek -- a refusal to be stripped of dignity nor to be dragged down by reacting negatively (esp. criminally) to injustice. Interestingly the Doctor made a similar observation when talking about how to rescue Hildie from Candyland. Probably the strongest aspect of the film is the way moral ambiguity, shades of grey, and the changeable nature of the laws of men are all on display along side obvious injustice.

Aesthetically, I liked that he started out with a spaghetti western feel -- everything from full credits at the beginning of the movie to ample use of rack focus -- but then abandoned that for a sleeker presentation, ending on a decidedly contemporary note.

He played a little with chronology (as he usually does), though not nearly to the extent that he did with Pulp Fiction. Similar to Pulp Fiction (and to a certain extent Kill Bill Vol. 1) this allowed him to end on a high note as far as Waltz's character is concerned... the bit at the end with Waltz saying "they will call [Django] the 'fastest gun in the South'" was not a flashback, it was a scene shown out of order for the viewer's benefit (everyone likes a happy ending). His use of flashback however -- especially for the Django/Hildie love scene -- was quite effective, I thought; my sense is for that flashback he stretched the image over a larger aspect ratio than it was shot at, which made it instantly old school.

Anyway, it's not his best effort (Death Proof is severely under-rated btw) but it I thought it was quite good and watch-able. Performances were top rate from Jackson, Leo, Waltz and of course Foxx. The gore was on par with Saving Private Ryan.

All this is to say I liked it significantly more than I did TH:AUJ, and perhaps even Skyfall.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jan 22 2013, 3:19am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2013, 3:26am

Post #20 of 41 (129 views)
Shortcut
Community! Cool. Cool, cool, cool. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a huge Community fan! Yes, there is a fair amount of low humor, but it is more than offset by amazingly clever humor, creative stories, and cinematic direction. Many of the episodes are like short films. But what makes it special to me is that there is genuine heart mixed in with the off-the-wall humor. I've teared up on more than one occasion.

I didn't get into it at first because I thought it was just about making fun of community colleges and, having taught at a community college, I wasn't amused. However, during season 2, I began to watch bits here and there during Big Bang Theory commercial breaks. Soon, I was watching more Community than BBT; eventually, I found I wasn't watching BBT at all. BBT is funny and has clever jokes about science; but in one episode in particular, Community actually explores the concepts only mentioned in BBT. In the episode, " Remedial Chaos Theory" in season 3, they show the different time-lines that result from throwing a die to decide which of the characters would go downstairs to meet the pizza guy. Sounds boring, but it's brilliant. It was even nominated for a Hugo (Science Fiction) award for Best Dramatic Presentation: Short Form.

They are so creative that Community has been to Comic Con the last two years. Season 2 has a Dungeons and Dragons episode that draws on LOTR for an inspired prologue sequence. (There are also a few references to the character Chang having a sort of Smeagol/Gollum issue throughout season 2 that is never really developed) They have a claymation Christmas episode that is not only hilarious, it's actually very touching as well. The two part paint ball episode evolves from a Sergio Leone spaghetti western into a Star Wars take-off. Season three not only has the multiple timeline story, they have the Dr. Who take-off, "Inspector Spacetime", and Troy and Abed set up what they call a Dreamatorium - a sort of Star Trek Holodeck - in their spare room. Community has a lot of Geek cred. Smile

I don't know how far along you are, but please don't be put off by some of the low or bizarre; it's worth the effort.

BTW, though it does make fun of community college, it also validates it as well. What I figured out after finally watching the very first episode was that the point of the show, despite the craziness, is what Jeff, in his ironic way, tells Abed: "I see your value." These flawed people have value; this place that accepts these flawed people has value.

(Can you tell I really, really love Community?Tongue)

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jan 22 2013, 3:32am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2013, 3:30am

Post #21 of 41 (123 views)
Shortcut
That's a beautiful film [In reply to] Can't Post

I was always put off by the fact that it was about baseball, but when I finally saw it, I was wowed. Smile

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 22 2013, 3:43am

Post #22 of 41 (117 views)
Shortcut
The one with Susan Hampshire? [In reply to] Can't Post

My mom loved her so much that when we got a little poodle my mom named her Fleur, after Fleur Forsyte :-)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 22 2013, 3:50am

Post #23 of 41 (119 views)
Shortcut
nah.. I'm not put off by the low humor [In reply to] Can't Post

Thus my description of 'wacky blend'... with wacky being an affectionate term. It just doesn't take itself too seriously.

And it does have heart, you're right.

I just can't say I howl at every episode.

We watched the Christmas episode last night but I fell asleep watching it.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jan 22 2013, 3:51am)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 22 2013, 3:53am

Post #24 of 41 (127 views)
Shortcut
I read that Django has a lot of nods to old westerns [In reply to] Can't Post

and other movies:
http://www.ew.com/...414_21258226,00.html

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 22 2013, 3:54am

Post #25 of 41 (128 views)
Shortcut
No... Earl's name is Earl [In reply to] Can't Post

Your name is weaver.

:-D

I like that show.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.