Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Goblin Scribe (possible geeky observation)

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 20 2013, 8:04pm

Views: 1461
Shortcut
The Goblin Scribe (possible geeky observation) Can't Post

One of The Little Eruvandes' (ages 6 and 11) favorite characters in AUJ is that scrawny little goblin scribe. They like his look, they like his contraption, and they think it's funny that the goblins can write. Well, at least one goblin can write.

The thing that makes them laugh the most, though, is that funny little sack-thing hanging under his swing. It's pictured on page 182 of the Weta Chronicles. Here is a picture of a model I found on the web.

After much thought and discussion around the dinner table (Shocked), (well, okay, really, after shoving our faces full of popcorn at the movies) we have concluded that the little sack-thing under his swing is a "poop-catcher". Yes, like carriage horses use.

Is that what it is? Are goblins really that concerned about what falls from the swing of the scribe? The Weta Chronicle didn't say anything about it, but one of the drawings shows a canister containing his "pencils" and he seems to have ample parchment hanging off his "clipboard". So I don't think it is for supplies.

What do you think it is?

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Subject User Time
The Goblin Scribe (possible geeky observation) AlassŽa Eruvande Send a private message to AlassŽa Eruvande Jan 20 2013, 8:04pm
    Possibly! Aragalen the Green Send a private message to Aragalen the Green Jan 20 2013, 8:06pm
    I think it's a rock Carne Send a private message to Carne Jan 20 2013, 8:08pm
    "Poop-catcher" - i like it. :) // Estel78 Send a private message to Estel78 Jan 20 2013, 8:20pm
        ... swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Jan 20 2013, 8:26pm
            They're still a little freaked out by Gollum. AlassŽa Eruvande Send a private message to AlassŽa Eruvande Jan 20 2013, 8:30pm
                Even children know Ziggy Stardust Send a private message to Ziggy Stardust Jan 22 2013, 1:34am
    I would not think goblins were picky ceppault Send a private message to ceppault Jan 20 2013, 9:36pm
    it's worth noting for those who might not have noticed... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jan 20 2013, 9:43pm
        No lines Carne Send a private message to Carne Jan 20 2013, 10:15pm
            thanks for the info // Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jan 20 2013, 10:17pm
            Is Grinnah the character that says Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Jan 21 2013, 12:32am
                Yes, that's him! Carne Send a private message to Carne Jan 21 2013, 12:39am
                    Thanks! Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Jan 21 2013, 12:44am
                Malevolence... swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Jan 21 2013, 7:29pm
            More Goblin Scribe in the EE? Lio Send a private message to Lio Jan 21 2013, 12:55am
        The only "line" I heard Aragalen the Green Send a private message to Aragalen the Green Jan 21 2013, 12:49am
            Every time I see that crackle and the expression Alerik Send a private message to Alerik Jan 21 2013, 7:48am
        And Bilbo's double in The Hobbit. RaoulJ Send a private message to RaoulJ Jan 21 2013, 11:28am
    weight ryouko Send a private message to ryouko Jan 20 2013, 9:47pm
    You may be right! TheSexyBeard Send a private message to TheSexyBeard Jan 20 2013, 10:11pm
    He's this generations Salacious Crumb! Arthael Send a private message to Arthael Jan 20 2013, 11:39pm
        +1 stoutfiles Send a private message to stoutfiles Jan 21 2013, 12:40am
    Loved him Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Jan 20 2013, 11:57pm
    Its function numbers 2. SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jan 21 2013, 12:26am
        Maybe the ballast is provided by... Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Jan 21 2013, 2:40am
    Love the goblin scribe! Nira Send a private message to Nira Jan 21 2013, 12:45am
    I chuckle at that scene every time. Owain Send a private message to Owain Jan 21 2013, 2:35am
    **I've Gathered Geeky List Info from this post :) THANKS ALL! // grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jan 22 2013, 5:52pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.