Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Goblin Scribe (possible geeky observation)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 20 2013, 8:04pm

Post #1 of 29 (1608 views)
Shortcut
The Goblin Scribe (possible geeky observation) Can't Post

One of The Little Eruvandes' (ages 6 and 11) favorite characters in AUJ is that scrawny little goblin scribe. They like his look, they like his contraption, and they think it's funny that the goblins can write. Well, at least one goblin can write.

The thing that makes them laugh the most, though, is that funny little sack-thing hanging under his swing. It's pictured on page 182 of the Weta Chronicles. Here is a picture of a model I found on the web.

After much thought and discussion around the dinner table (Shocked), (well, okay, really, after shoving our faces full of popcorn at the movies) we have concluded that the little sack-thing under his swing is a "poop-catcher". Yes, like carriage horses use.

Is that what it is? Are goblins really that concerned about what falls from the swing of the scribe? The Weta Chronicle didn't say anything about it, but one of the drawings shows a canister containing his "pencils" and he seems to have ample parchment hanging off his "clipboard". So I don't think it is for supplies.

What do you think it is?

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 20 2013, 8:06pm

Post #2 of 29 (705 views)
Shortcut
Possibly! [In reply to] Can't Post

I noticed the little scribe's feet seemed deformed and useless, so he may never leave his little cage. Therefore a "poop-catcher" would be quite useful.

Very observant! It is interesting what children will catch onto. My daughter LOVES the Stone-giants, it's her favorite part of the movie. She doesn't understand why people wouldn't like it :) And her favorite character is Radagast! When I asked her why, she said she loves his "charm and personality".

Out of the mouths of babes Heart

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

(This post was edited by Aragalen the Green on Jan 20 2013, 8:13pm)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2013, 8:08pm

Post #3 of 29 (711 views)
Shortcut
I think it's a rock [In reply to] Can't Post

To compensate for his weight. Easier to swing the crane around that way.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2013, 8:20pm

Post #4 of 29 (636 views)
Shortcut
"Poop-catcher" - i like it. :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2013, 8:26pm

Post #5 of 29 (679 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

I find it interesting that the creepy scary ooky characters are enjoyed by kids. Perhaps that's one of the things faerie tales do well, take the scary stuff and inject enough humor, and courageous heroes, into it to make the scary overcomeable...

...whoa, is that a word? Crazy

Go outside and play...

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 20 2013, 8:30pm

Post #6 of 29 (682 views)
Shortcut
They're still a little freaked out by Gollum. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think seeing his more child-like side in the Riddles-In-The-Dark scenes does make him less scary. He likes games, too! Smile

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

ceppault
Bree

Jan 20 2013, 9:36pm

Post #7 of 29 (604 views)
Shortcut
I would not think goblins were picky [In reply to] Can't Post

... about where they did their business. I do like the concept.

The Scribe may well be the lad who fetches the chamber pot for the Goblin King. Budget cuts in Goblin Town may have necessitated such cost savings measures. Turning the Company of Dwarves over to the Orcs would have been a significant help for the fiscal year, I suspect. Yet being being the chamber pot fetching-lad for the king? Thats distressing on several levels.

Anyhoo. Got carried away. Kuddos to the Eruvande Kiddos. Excellent diversion from the usual.

Production Locations on Google Maps
The Hobbit
The Return of the King
The Two Towers
The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by ceppault on Jan 20 2013, 9:37pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 20 2013, 9:43pm

Post #8 of 29 (638 views)
Shortcut
it's worth noting for those who might not have noticed... [In reply to] Can't Post

that the Goblin Scribe was 'played' by Kiran Shah who was Elijah's stunt double in LOTR.

I couldn't remember if the Scribe had any lines? There can't have been many. And I would have thought it would be an easy character to make without motion capture. But I caught Kiran's name in the credit scroll the first time I saw it.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 20 2013, 9:47pm

Post #9 of 29 (589 views)
Shortcut
weight [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I thought it was. So that he'd go down the rope quicker and not get stuck somewhere.

But I like your idea better!! Laugh

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Jan 20 2013, 10:11pm

Post #10 of 29 (561 views)
Shortcut
You may be right! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
After much thought and discussion around the dinner table (Shocked), (well, okay, really, after shoving our faces full of popcorn at the movies) we have concluded that the little sack-thing under his swing is a "poop-catcher". Yes, like carriage horses use.

According to Games-Workshop (who made the model) you right! They say it's a old helmet that is being used as a catcher. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case, they have a fairly close relationship with Weta and often head over to their studios so they know they can talk to the team and even the cast sometimes.

Yes, my username is terrible.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2013, 10:15pm

Post #11 of 29 (562 views)
Shortcut
No lines [In reply to] Can't Post

They filmed some stuff with him and Grinnah, so hopefully it will be in the extended cut.

The Scribe was originally Kiran in a suit with an animatronic head, but as with the rest of the goblins they ended up being covered over with CGI.

(This post was edited by Carne on Jan 20 2013, 10:16pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 20 2013, 10:17pm

Post #12 of 29 (521 views)
Shortcut
thanks for the info // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Arthael
Lorien

Jan 20 2013, 11:39pm

Post #13 of 29 (516 views)
Shortcut
He's this generations Salacious Crumb! [In reply to] Can't Post

He gives me a laugh every time I see the movie. Never noticed the poop catcher, but that's a funny idea!

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 20 2013, 11:57pm

Post #14 of 29 (492 views)
Shortcut
Loved him [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope it Weta does a special EE gift set we get a little scribe statue with it. I'd love it Cool

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 12:26am

Post #15 of 29 (498 views)
Shortcut
Its function numbers 2. [In reply to] Can't Post

Honestly I didn't notice it but I did notice his shrivelled legs; I assumed he was in that chair all the time. So it makes sense that it would be what you think it is, and when full it probably functions as ballast as Carne suggested.

Or perhaps it's like an under (baby) carriage storage place for this and that... whatever things scribes might need to carry, and diapers, sou-sous and stuff.

Great question!

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 21 2013, 12:32am

Post #16 of 29 (497 views)
Shortcut
Is Grinnah the character that says [In reply to] Can't Post

"Dwarves, Your Malevolence!"

I don't know who voiced that character, but I loved the delivery of that line, particularly on the word "malevolence" Sly.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2013, 12:39am

Post #17 of 29 (484 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's him! [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved his voice and was hoping for more lines. Played by Stephen Ure.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 21 2013, 12:40am

Post #18 of 29 (470 views)
Shortcut
+1 [In reply to] Can't Post

That's exactly what I thought of when I saw him...

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 21 2013, 12:44am

Post #19 of 29 (466 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm hoping for more lines too - it was really distinctive!

Nira
Lorien

Jan 21 2013, 12:45am

Post #20 of 29 (495 views)
Shortcut
Love the goblin scribe! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wondered why he had a basket under him. I thought it might be a little storage bin; I like everyone else's ideas better.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?"

(This post was edited by Nira on Jan 21 2013, 12:46am)

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 21 2013, 12:49am

Post #21 of 29 (479 views)
Shortcut
The only "line" I heard [In reply to] Can't Post

was the maniacal little cackle he gives sliding down the zipline away from the Great Goblin.

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

Lio
Lorien

Jan 21 2013, 12:55am

Post #22 of 29 (472 views)
Shortcut
More Goblin Scribe in the EE? [In reply to] Can't Post

And Grinnah too? Oh, I hope they put that in! I loved the nasty lovable little monsters and I want to see more of them in the movie. Laugh

And, hmm, I wonder if we'll see the Goblin Scribe or someone delivering the message to Azog? I do wonder how that played out!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2013, 2:35am

Post #23 of 29 (442 views)
Shortcut
I chuckle at that scene every time. [In reply to] Can't Post

He's so devious and charming at the same time.

Laugh

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 21 2013, 2:40am

Post #24 of 29 (425 views)
Shortcut
Maybe the ballast is provided by... [In reply to] Can't Post

the poop! Laugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Alerik
The Shire

Jan 21 2013, 7:48am

Post #25 of 29 (360 views)
Shortcut
Every time I see that crackle and the expression [In reply to] Can't Post

that accompanies it I think it looks a lot like the baby in Braindead (Dead Alive). Perhaps the scribe is inspired by that baby just like Gothmog (ROTK) was inspired by the aliens in Bad Taste. At least that is what I read somewhere.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.