Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Update on my novel...

Malveth
Rivendell

Jan 20 2013, 1:44pm

Post #1 of 15 (227 views)
Shortcut
Update on my novel... Can't Post

A lot has happened since my last post!

1. I've met my editor. We got on great! He is really invested in making "Carrot Field" a success. We agreed on most issues and got really excited outlining plans for promotion. He knows some successful fantasy authors and we're hoping to get a few nice "blurbs" for promotion.

2. His revision notes were, for the most part, excellent, and really helped to strengthen the ms. I'm doing some additional tinkering of my own, but I'll be giving the ms back early this week. After that, I will receive the Copy Edit. I'm really glad I didn't have to do all this editing myself, I'm not an editor, and the ms needed more work than I realized - lots of gaffs, oversights, editorial artifacts, and several passages that benefited from editorial comment.

3. We are looking for a cover artist now. He wants to work with a particular artist that I am not entirely sold on, I have an artist that I prefer, we'll see what happens.

Things are hurtling forward. We are eying an April pub date. It's hard to believe, I first started imagining this story in 1994, and wrote the first version of the novel in 1995! But it's really happening and I will soon be able to hold a hard cover edition in my hands :)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 20 2013, 4:01pm

Post #2 of 15 (194 views)
Shortcut
Wow, congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

Let us know when it comes out. I know it takes a while.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 20 2013, 4:18pm

Post #3 of 15 (102 views)
Shortcut
That's great news!! [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW! It must feel so surreal after all this time :D

You should stick with the artist you want, if you can. That cover will represent YOU and your story... your work. I want you to be happy every time you see it.

You ought to... just for the fun of it... ask our very talented TORnsibbies to show you what they can come up with for a cover. Share the low-down of the basic story and what you imagine as a theme/look. ;)

and first draught of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)
LotR Unused Scenes

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 20 2013, 9:09pm

Post #4 of 15 (93 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's so awesome! I'm so happy for you!

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

willowing
Lorien

Jan 21 2013, 3:49am

Post #5 of 15 (79 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations on staying the distance for your novel. [In reply to] Can't Post

When it is published, it will be nice to get a review of your book on this forum.

Cool

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 21 2013, 4:15am

Post #6 of 15 (78 views)
Shortcut
It's going right along! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a long process, but it's like watching a gem get polished! Smile Thank you for the update!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 5:43am

Post #7 of 15 (88 views)
Shortcut
glad to hear [In reply to] Can't Post

you've changed your mind about having an editor.

All we really want is to make you look good :)

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2013, 5:39pm

Post #8 of 15 (71 views)
Shortcut
That's amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can only hold envy for you. Smile I'm currently at work on a novel of my own. Hard work, but the most fun! Glad to hear you've made it after so many trials! I'll be sure to be keep on the lookout for it on the shelves. Wink

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Malveth
Rivendell

Jan 21 2013, 8:36pm

Post #9 of 15 (64 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Everyone!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is certainly an exciting and gratifying time for me.

There'll be an official Blog soon, I'll let you know when it's up on the publisher's website.

Yeah, keep on pluggin'. Your writing will only get stronger the longer it takes to get it out there.

And hey, LotR's was hardly an "overnight success" story ;) We're in excellent company!

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 22 2013, 3:31am

Post #10 of 15 (56 views)
Shortcut
Go you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the update and you have glad your hard work has paid off! Keep us posted!

Weaver

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 22 2013, 3:38am

Post #11 of 15 (65 views)
Shortcut
So happy for you! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Malveth
Rivendell

Jan 22 2013, 4:06am

Post #12 of 15 (100 views)
Shortcut
One big difference... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that I didn't have to pay for these services (perks of working with even a very small publisher like mine). Last time you heard from me I was going to self publish, and I was flat broke. I wanted the help, I just couldn't afford it. I also hadn't realized that there were roving editors out there; I'm from another time, as they say, when self publishing was not looked at as a success and no one would touch the stuff. Obviously, with the advent of Kindle, that has changed drastically, and it is now seen as something to be proud of.

This book has also gone through every single major publisher two or three times, and I worked with some of the biggest and best editors out there over the long "wilderness years", so it isn't like I've ever resisted editing!

Anyway, my editor's notes were excellent & I am looking forward to the "line edit" to weed out any weaknesses or confusing idiosyncrasies lurking in the text!

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 22 2013, 3:35pm

Post #13 of 15 (63 views)
Shortcut
Way to go Malveth! [In reply to] Can't Post

This all sounds interesting and i hope all goes well.

I have a thought that you should listen to your heart about that cover artist. Many books are sold on that attraction alone. Take my wife for example, she buys a bottle of wine if the label is pretty and books that have lakes on the frontLaugh How's that for advise? lol

Good luck!

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2013, 3:17am

Post #14 of 15 (42 views)
Shortcut

Your dedication is truly inspiring!

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 23 2013, 6:09pm

Post #15 of 15 (71 views)
Shortcut

Your success is so inspiring! It must be the most wonderful and exciting feeling in the world to know that something you've had within you for so long is being appreciated and will soon be out there in the world! I read once that JK Rowling said that even with everything that eventually happened with the HP books, still the happiest day ever for her was when she first learned the first book was going to be published. You must be feeling on top of the world :-). All your hard work and never giving up has paid off. I am so very happy for you!

Looking forward to hearing the rest of the updates!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.