Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 18 2013, 6:51am

Post #1 of 23 (180 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

It's another week, more miles down the road, new folks we've welcomed, familiar folks we've seen again after some time apart. Well met and good journeys to us all, I say! Oh, and what has this week of physical activity brought you? Have you reached a milestone? Turned a corner? What view of Middle Earth has greeted you in your travels? Do tell!

There and Back Again
Group Challenge Progress
Miles covered last week: 93.67
Cumulative miles: 10740.01
Miles along the journey: 716
Miles out of Rivendell: 319

Here we are... on the Mirkwood trail... still... and just where does Gandalf think is so very important to be that he can't be with us now? Hmm? Off at the bunny races, I've no doubt, with some delinquent friend or other. Harrumph.

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 4
Cumulative miles: 441
Goal: There and Back Again!

Building back up to speed again; what a relief! I'm going to be doing some research again, so that should help me get more mileage going on a regular basis. (for those of you who don't know, I read and work on my computer on the treadmill whenever I can; lately, I've even managed a bit of knitting)

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 8
Cumulative miles: 429
Goal: Group Challenge

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Delrond
Rohan

Jan 18 2013, 2:35pm

Post #2 of 23 (101 views)
Shortcut
Over a month has gone by. [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings fellow walkers, runners, treadmillers, swimmers, spelunkers and zumbans. It has been well over a month since I last posted. In the interim, I managed a new 5K personal best in my last race (26:50, woo hoo!), running with 3000 Santas. Since then, I took a 2 week break that coincided with the holidays and enjoyed sledding with Little D and some nieces and nephews. A few snow ball fights broke out and we also made the requisite huge snow man and a bonus hobbit snow man. My niece is resting against the large one.

After the holidays, it was back to the usual circuit training/running track routine that I have grown accustomed to. Little D is still playing basketball, heaving up some 3-pointers that make me cringe, then he dials it back and hits some short range shots and even some free throws. Oh yes, and it's pinewood derby time. Yesterday, the third and final coat of blue (time-tested as being the fastest color) was administered on the car and all over several sheets of newspaper in the immediate area as he is still trying to figure out how to use spray paint. At least he hasn't pointed it at his face and let 'er rip. Yet. Weigh-in is on Monday, so the clear coat and wheels still need to go on this weekend. It really is a joy to work on a project together. Laugh

That's about it for now. The snow has completely melted, with the exception of the Mt. Everest pile that was in the parking lot at work.

Arandiel, no love for Rowina?

Miles covered since my last update: 120.2
Cumulative miles: 1288.4
Goal: There and Back Again

We have been heading south for a few days along the western border of Mirkwood. While it is very cold and windy, we are traveling on a clear and dry path. I think everyone is pleased with that. However, Bilbo seems to be developing a blanket fetish. Every morning, we nearly have to pry it out of his fingers. This morning, Beorn threatened to roll him up and strap him to the back of a horse if he doesn't get a move on. Never seen a hobbit move so quickly.

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 18 2013, 6:48pm

Post #3 of 23 (95 views)
Shortcut
Hi, Delrond! Welcome back [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like your holidays were busy and fun - congrats on the personal best! And much success to Little D in the Pinewood Derby. It's hard to believe my Hobbit's done with them now; he's off to Boy Scouts soon.

Rowina went vertical for the holidays; she had to make room for the tree. She should be back down and ready to strengthen our arms and cores next week. My Hobbit, in particular, enjoys 'rowing' (it looks suspiciously like play time when he's on that particular machine... Wink)

So you nearly had a Bilbo burrito on the back of a pony, huh? Well, at least it got him moving again!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 18 2013, 7:16pm

Post #4 of 23 (85 views)
Shortcut
N00bie question... [In reply to] Can't Post

So if I want to join in the fun, I just come back next Thursday with a report of how far I have walked/jogged/snowshoed in the past week? And then keep tracking my totals and reporting in periodically? Just making sure I understand the rules of the activity...

I decided to get back into some semblance of shape last March. I try to lift weights and hit the treadmill 3 times/week, and walk my dog daily (with longer walks when we have time...), and I have lost some weight too. This sounds like a fun way to keep interested.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 18 2013, 7:42pm

Post #5 of 23 (125 views)
Shortcut
You got it! [In reply to] Can't Post

And welcome, arithmancer!

To add to the fun and work toward a goal, folks on the Walk often choose a Middle Earth journey (the Eowyn Challenge site lists several options, and grammaboodawg's site has some more) and chart their progress following in the footsteps of their favorite LOTR or Hobbit characters. And, of course, I add the miles you report to the group journey we're on now in honor of the Hobbit movies; our goal is to travel the same number of miles as Bilbo and company as a group (that's the There and Back Again Group Challenge).

Snowshoeing? Cool!

Angharad73
Rohan

Jan 19 2013, 9:32am

Post #6 of 23 (92 views)
Shortcut
Can I join? [In reply to] Can't Post

This actually sounds like a great deal of fun! Can I still join in even though I'm very late?

I walk quite a bit every day (or try to, at least), as I am trying to get back into some resemblance of shape. The There and Back Again Challenge sounds like a great incentive to get moving.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 19 2013, 3:21pm

Post #7 of 23 (63 views)
Shortcut
Howdy Fellow Walkers :D [In reply to] Can't Post

My mileage hasn't been as much as usual since I've been doing a lot of computer work on the Geeky Observations List for The Hobbit. But I did get more done that I thought I would :)

Bilbo, Gandalf and I have finally cleared the Misty Mountain tunnel and are on our way down the west side towards Rivendell. Now we're on familiar ground :)

Miles covered: 16
Cumulated miles: 1651
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

Thanks lots for keeping us on the road, Arandiel! See everyone on the road!! :D

gramma's The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey Line Party Report & Review
and first draught of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 19 2013, 3:31pm

Post #8 of 23 (64 views)
Shortcut
Wow! You've had a full month of action :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Congratulations on breaking the record! *applause* It's so fulfilling when all your hard work and focus pays off. WELL DONE!

Love the pic of your Army! *still giggling*

gramma's The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey Line Party Report & Review
and first draught of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List

sample

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Iolani
Rivendell

Jan 19 2013, 6:30pm

Post #9 of 23 (90 views)
Shortcut
I'm back--had nothing to report last week, but this week.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I did get some mileage in. Finally! The weather has improved! I love the sun!!Cool

miles this week: 15.8
cumulative:840.2
goal: There and Back Again Group Challenge!

Up and going again!! Yay!!SlyHeart Keep going, everyone!!

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Jan 19 2013, 7:41pm

Post #10 of 23 (71 views)
Shortcut
Week 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Week 3

Miles this week: 4.33
Cumulative miles: 93.7
Personal Goal: Erebor contributing to group
Goal mileage: 13.5 (953.5 to go)

Still trudging along.

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 20 2013, 4:27am

Post #11 of 23 (54 views)
Shortcut
It's never too late! [In reply to] Can't Post

We follow Bilbo's example here - no set starting time or pocket-handkerchiefs required.

So, welcome, Angharad73! Feel free to join right in. Our emphasis is on supporting and encouraging each other, regardless of level of fitness or ability.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 20 2013, 4:32am

Post #12 of 23 (52 views)
Shortcut
So you've been letting your fingers do the walking? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry - couldn't resist! Considering how far you've traveled and how big a job you've had keeping up with TH, a few miles off your average is no biggie.

Thank YOU, gramma, for the encouragement!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 20 2013, 4:34am

Post #13 of 23 (61 views)
Shortcut
Yay, sun! Yay, miles! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yay, Iolani! May your next week be as uplifting as your last was!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 20 2013, 4:39am

Post #14 of 23 (55 views)
Shortcut
That sounds familiar [In reply to] Can't Post

The "trudging along" bit, that is. One foot (wheel, arm, etc) in front of the other. What starts as a slow slog ends up surprising you with the distance you've covered. Keep it up!

Angharad73
Rohan

Jan 20 2013, 7:56am

Post #15 of 23 (95 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is really great! I've been getting rather lazy lately, so a bit of outside encouragement is just what I need.

I'm off to Erebor then... Long way to go, and no Eagles to give me a lift Wink

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 20 2013, 1:55pm

Post #16 of 23 (41 views)
Shortcut
Howdy and Welcome!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

The more the merrier! This weekly visit where we can share our progress or challenges really is a big help! It's so great to have you here. See you on the road!! :D

and first draught of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)
LotR Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 20 2013, 2:01pm

Post #17 of 23 (41 views)
Shortcut
Welcome and Howdy!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Fantastic! That's the neat thing about our Walk... you do it your way and it's never too late to start. We're here to hang out while we log many activies as mileage that adds up to completing Quests from The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Those charts at the bottom of Arandiel's post will make your eyes pop out with how cool they are!

See you on the road! :D

sample

LotR Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 20 2013, 2:04pm

Post #18 of 23 (45 views)
Shortcut
Well Done! [In reply to] Can't Post

The weather really does make a difference. We've got bone-chilling cold moving in this week... and I can already feel myself huddling for warmth ;)

See you on the road!

sample

LotR Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 20 2013, 2:05pm

Post #19 of 23 (48 views)
Shortcut
Trudging is what I do best! [In reply to] Can't Post

And every step (or activity) adds up :D I wish I could add up mileage from using my keyboard! ;)

I will definitely see you on the road!! *high five*

sample

LotR Unused Scenes

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 6:15am

Post #20 of 23 (39 views)
Shortcut
I did 1.5 miles in a wind chill of 10 below! [In reply to] Can't Post

That should be worth brownie points or something...just sayin' Smile

Weaver

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 21 2013, 9:47am

Post #21 of 23 (36 views)
Shortcut
Yikes!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Make that a HOT BROWNIE... cuz you're already a popcicle!

WOW!!!

First draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 22 2013, 12:29am

Post #22 of 23 (42 views)
Shortcut
*gets official insignia badge of Gondor-Rohan Joint Signal Fire Brigade* [In reply to] Can't Post

I hereby present you with this award for service in extreme climatic conditions!

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 22 2013, 2:54am

Post #23 of 23 (51 views)
Shortcut
*pins GRJSFB badge on* [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, that looks kind of nice with my heavy coat, earmuffs, hat, two pairs of gloves, three pairs of socks, textreme snow boots, and five layers of clothing underneath....

It's going to be 20 below tomorrow with a wind chill of 35 below! Glad we got our walk in when it was balmy!

Weaver

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.