Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Come with me, into the wild...

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 20 2013, 7:06am

Views: 334
Shortcut
Come with me, into the wild... Can't Post

Can you believe it's a week since we talked gardening and other earthy subjects?
It's been mostly too hot for gardening here, so evening watering and dead-heading have been my main garden activities.

Yesterday I was seized with the urge to go to one of my favourite places in the world. It's Taumutu beach, South-East of Christchurch. It sits just below Lake Ellesmere/Waihora. The whole area is of special importance to local Maori, and there is a great deal of local history to be found here.

When I was growing up this was our nearest beach. At night, when the wind was right, you could hear the waves crashing on the stony beach. No-one swims there because it is totally unsafe. So when you visit, you rarely see anyone else.
Yesterday I didn't see anyone apart from a few surf-casters.

This special place is where we scattered (or should I say flung) my mother's ashes three years ago. It was a wonderful and somehow invigorating day. Her presence feels very strong here.
I stood on the beach and looked out at the sea, and then shut my eyes and thought about my wonderful Mum. I opened my eyes and suddenly in front of me was a lone tern, a beautiful sight indeed. (This isn't my photo - it was way too fast for me!)

It was too hot to linger for long, but I did manage to pick up a few stones. No one in my family ever leaves Taumutu without some stones.

Do you have a favourite wild place? Do you have a place that reminds you of a special person?
I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Subject User Time
Come with me, into the wild... Starling Send a private message to Starling Jan 20 2013, 7:06am
    Funny you should mention it... Lissuin Send a private message to Lissuin Jan 20 2013, 10:26am
        Your last photo - just ... wow. / Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jan 20 2013, 8:33pm
            It was a great day for Edoras photos. Lissuin Send a private message to Lissuin Jan 20 2013, 11:19pm
            Agreed - I want to buy a print of it! // Starling Send a private message to Starling Jan 21 2013, 6:11am
        Did you forget the rule? Starling Send a private message to Starling Jan 21 2013, 6:13am
        Those shots are riviting. silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Jan 21 2013, 6:09pm
    I love your special place! Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Jan 20 2013, 4:22pm
        Aunt Dora, I just knew you'd be along Starling Send a private message to Starling Jan 21 2013, 6:21am
            One of the times wasn't more refined :-D Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Jan 21 2013, 2:58pm
        Now just look at those two silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Jan 21 2013, 6:58pm
        Aunt Dora, did you ever find out if your "square root" survived the fires? // AlassŽa Eruvande Send a private message to AlassŽa Eruvande Jan 21 2013, 7:21pm
            We haven't been back there yet, but I'm sure it did Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Jan 21 2013, 7:31pm
                Oh, that's good to know. AlassŽa Eruvande Send a private message to AlassŽa Eruvande Jan 21 2013, 7:53pm
                    Yes, there was a lot of beetle kill // Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Jan 21 2013, 8:08pm
    Here is mine! Like Aunt Dora, it's in Colorado Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Jan 20 2013, 8:32pm
        I'm telling you right now, Starling Send a private message to Starling Jan 21 2013, 6:28am
            From what I can tell Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Jan 21 2013, 3:32pm
        What fun to read your account! Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Jan 21 2013, 3:20pm
    to the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying... swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Jan 20 2013, 8:52pm
        Misty of Chincoteague! Starling Send a private message to Starling Jan 21 2013, 6:53am
            wild horses swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Jan 21 2013, 7:44pm
                The Kaimanawa horses Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jan 21 2013, 8:00pm
                They are a mix Starling Send a private message to Starling Jan 21 2013, 8:02pm
                    wild horses swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Jan 21 2013, 8:27pm
                        I've just been musing on Thunderhead Starling Send a private message to Starling Jan 21 2013, 8:37pm
                            thnderhead swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Jan 21 2013, 8:42pm
            wild horses swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Jan 21 2013, 8:02pm
        Waterworm welk? silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Jan 21 2013, 7:10pm
            tracks and whelks and things and stuffs swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Jan 21 2013, 8:20pm
    How about 'tamed wild'? Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jan 20 2013, 8:59pm
        If you can't get out to Pukekura... Lissuin Send a private message to Lissuin Jan 20 2013, 10:54pm
            In your link Lissuin i found something i really like. silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Jan 21 2013, 12:00am
                Mid-Atlantic Spring - sublime! Lissuin Send a private message to Lissuin Jan 21 2013, 2:15am
                *bookmarks* Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Jan 21 2013, 3:21pm
            Great video! Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jan 21 2013, 12:56am
                One of my favourite childhood activities Starling Send a private message to Starling Jan 21 2013, 7:08am
                    I've tried mimicking their squeaky calls Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jan 21 2013, 7:51am
                        It never fails! :-) // Starling Send a private message to Starling Jan 21 2013, 7:57am
        All wilds are accepted here Starling Send a private message to Starling Jan 21 2013, 7:01am
        I have never seen leaves quite like that. silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Jan 21 2013, 7:21pm
            The park has lots of tree ferns, Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jan 21 2013, 8:10pm
                A ferndingle! silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Jan 21 2013, 9:37pm
    I'm not sure I can identify one place as my favorite Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jan 21 2013, 1:48am
        You can have as many favourites as you want Starling Send a private message to Starling Jan 21 2013, 7:13am
        I love that phrase Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Jan 21 2013, 4:11pm
        Central Park does have many fabulous trees silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Jan 21 2013, 7:56pm
            sound... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jan 21 2013, 8:39pm
                YIKES! silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Jan 21 2013, 10:29pm
                    you would enjoy all the fixing the transmission on the picnic table stories Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jan 21 2013, 10:41pm
                        The red line is. silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Jan 22 2013, 12:33am
    This thread is such a lovely, relaxing virtual vacation. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Jan 21 2013, 3:27pm
    I would be delighted Starling* silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Jan 21 2013, 3:56pm
        Your photos are stunning Starling Send a private message to Starling Jan 21 2013, 7:19pm
    This thread is the same, but different... Eowyn of Penns Woods Send a private message to Eowyn of Penns Woods Jan 21 2013, 7:35pm
        I love it! Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Jan 21 2013, 8:51pm
    Wow! So many beautiful pictures of such breathtaking places! // zarabia Send a private message to zarabia Jan 23 2013, 3:13am
    GORGEOUS! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jan 25 2013, 3:11pm
        Into the wild indeed! Starling Send a private message to Starling Jan 25 2013, 8:34pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.