Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Come with me, into the wild...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 20 2013, 7:06am

Post #1 of 59 (426 views)
Shortcut
Come with me, into the wild... Can't Post

Can you believe it's a week since we talked gardening and other earthy subjects?
It's been mostly too hot for gardening here, so evening watering and dead-heading have been my main garden activities.

Yesterday I was seized with the urge to go to one of my favourite places in the world. It's Taumutu beach, South-East of Christchurch. It sits just below Lake Ellesmere/Waihora. The whole area is of special importance to local Maori, and there is a great deal of local history to be found here.

When I was growing up this was our nearest beach. At night, when the wind was right, you could hear the waves crashing on the stony beach. No-one swims there because it is totally unsafe. So when you visit, you rarely see anyone else.
Yesterday I didn't see anyone apart from a few surf-casters.

This special place is where we scattered (or should I say flung) my mother's ashes three years ago. It was a wonderful and somehow invigorating day. Her presence feels very strong here.
I stood on the beach and looked out at the sea, and then shut my eyes and thought about my wonderful Mum. I opened my eyes and suddenly in front of me was a lone tern, a beautiful sight indeed. (This isn't my photo - it was way too fast for me!)

It was too hot to linger for long, but I did manage to pick up a few stones. No one in my family ever leaves Taumutu without some stones.

Do you have a favourite wild place? Do you have a place that reminds you of a special person?
I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2013, 10:26am

Post #2 of 59 (284 views)
Shortcut
Funny you should mention it... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just followed up your welcome to Michelle with a suggestion that when she visits Edoras she should put a stone in her pocket. If enough fans do that we will one day go up a Mount Sunday and come down a hill, right?Laugh

And that is my favorite wild place. It was one of the best days of my life, standing in the wind, turning in all directions to see not a sign of man, only a wide braided river, mountains and sky.

(This post was edited by Lissuin on Jan 20 2013, 10:33am)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 20 2013, 4:22pm

Post #3 of 59 (243 views)
Shortcut
I love your special place! [In reply to] Can't Post

My mom spent her early childhood living on the beach, but moved when she was seven. She taught me to love the ocean when we would return on family vacations, but it was a long trek, 1500 miles. I haven't seen the ocean in 20 years, so I love your photos.

My favorite place in the world is the Boulderfield on Longs Peak. The day I took those photos, I scattered some of my mom's ashes there. It was my Mom's favorite mountain; she had climbed it three times. I'd been to the top once in my youth, but it's way too hard for me to get up now (it's 14,000 feet above sea level, and the trailhead is at 9,000 feet). I'm lucky if I make it to the Boulderfield, which is halfway to the top. Anyway, like you I found it a very moving experience.

I ran into a TORnsib, Ethel Duath on the trail that day <3

We scattered most of Mom's ashes at a place we call Grandfather Bridge, where her father's ashes are. And my sister took some to our mom's childhood beach in southern California. And I scattered some on another of her favorite mountains, Flattop. The blocky mountain you see in several of these photos is Longs; they're only a few miles apart as the crow flies (and there are a lot of crows up there.)

I've posted all these photos here before, but your post brought those two days back to my memory so clearly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jan 20 2013, 4:26pm)

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jan 20 2013, 8:32pm

Post #4 of 59 (236 views)
Shortcut
Here is mine! Like Aunt Dora, it's in Colorado [In reply to] Can't Post

on a branch of the same hike as she mentions in her post. I've been up that same mountain, but if you take the left fork at around 11,000 feet, you can go to the lake at the foot of that mountain, and get to look up at the crazy people dangling from the sheer face!

A shot about half way to the lake from the trail head, with the insanely blue Colorado sky, and the "pop-up" clouds there I just love: https://picasaweb.google.com/...G0Eo?feat=directlink

On the way, down in a valley on the left is the greenest lake you'll ever see; naturally green, and crystal clear at the same time. It takes my breath away each time I see it. I keep wanting to get down to it but I'm always too tired to get there after the main destination!

https://picasaweb.google.com/...G0Eo?feat=directlink

After Peacock pool, you begin to approach the waterfall that runs down through a bright green spongy, tundra meadow full of tiny bright flowers and small winding water channels, the water flowing from the destination (Chasm Lake) to Peacock in the valley below. The trail used to go right over the top of these shallow falls. Now they've moved it up farther for safety I guess. I liked it when it was more of a challenge!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/XyC9cUcZCWJ0-7mD6-DMb2UwSXb6JyWndl5tZGwG0Eo?feat=directlink

I'm not sure if Aunt Dora took this one or if my brother did. My camera was not working well. You can see Peacock shadowed by clouds (the green only shows up in full effect in bright sun) on the left below the falls: https://picasaweb.google.com/...G0Eo?feat=directlink

This is the meadow below the lake. This, plus Chasm lake, is my favorite place on earth. Here's one of the many rivulets and some bright tundra flowers. It was starting to cloud up as it usually does in the afternoon, so they don't look as "neon" as they really are. :) https://picasaweb.google.com/...G0Eo?feat=directlink

Here you can see part way up the scramble up to the lake. I hesitate to call it a cliff because it's not sheer--it's broken up into narrow areas with boulders and bits of tundra, so it's not a sheer, scary cliff, but basically it is more or less straight up, maybe 2-3 stories? (Aunt Dora could tell you better I think.) https://picasaweb.google.com/...G0Eo?feat=directlink

(The creature is a marmot--a rotund, squirrel-related mountain dweller I referenced in TORn back here: http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=258357#258357)

And here it is, Chasm Lake! I fell in it one summer when it was ice covered, trying to go around it. It slipped trying to navigate that snow field on the left (yes, there's snow in summer!) and went right through the ice and under it! Luckly a very tall fellow camper managed to haul me back out: https://picasaweb.google.com/...G0Eo?feat=directlink

Longs Peak and Chasm lake (note the sheer face you can sometimes see climbers dangling from) at the far end of the lake:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/jnWSPe6xTFuKU1JYL814VmUwSXb6JyWndl5tZGwG0Eo?feat=directlink

(This post was edited by Ethel Duath on Jan 20 2013, 8:37pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 20 2013, 8:33pm

Post #5 of 59 (213 views)
Shortcut
Your last photo - just ... wow. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2013, 8:52pm

Post #6 of 59 (227 views)
Shortcut
to the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying... [In reply to] Can't Post

Na'aear, na'aear, mul lain nalloll...

Off the coast of Maryland and Virginia lies a long lean dragon shape of a barrier island called Assateague. Tucked into the curve of its tail, at the south, is a tiny egg shape: Chincoteague. Assateague (thanks to a devastating nor'easter in 1962) is undeveloped, home to wils things, including several endgangered species (DelMarVa Fox Squirrel and Piping Plover). Chincoteague is where the people live. Both were made famous by Marguerite Henry's kids' book, Misty of Chincoteague. There is still a wild pony roundup each July. You don't have to paddle or hike very far to find yourself in uninhabited wilderness (take the superduper bug repellant).

http://www.swordwhale.com/christmas-by-the-sea.html

http://community.naturebreak.org/photo/albums/on-island-time

Go outside and play...

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 20 2013, 8:59pm

Post #7 of 59 (226 views)
Shortcut
How about 'tamed wild'? [In reply to] Can't Post

Pukekura Park is one of my favourite places, especially the southern section where fewer people go.

It's a 52ha park in the central city, yet in many areas you feel like you're in a forest (albeit one with formed paths). In this southern area I'm also more like to come across fantails/piwakawaka: Cute little birds that chitter and flitter about.

There's something about forests that energise me. I feel at home when I'm surrounded by tall trees.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2013, 10:54pm

Post #8 of 59 (211 views)
Shortcut
If you can't get out to Pukekura... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=988Jy-22u1g

This isn't my olive/hazelnut grove, but they sit close by and chatter to me in my bush garden.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2013, 11:19pm

Post #9 of 59 (216 views)
Shortcut
It was a great day for Edoras photos. [In reply to] Can't Post

At the left just past the dark clump of trees is the alluvial fan below a steep valley which was the cgi entrance to Helm's Deep. Aragorn and Brego stopped on a hillock to look at it.
(Just in case somebody here doesn't already know thatEvil)

The only wild animals we saw were black four-leggeds that said "Moo".

Husband and I went out there on our own and waded through the streams, (making sure to clean them afterwards so as not to spread didymo). I have never seen such crystal-clear springs.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 12:00am

Post #10 of 59 (205 views)
Shortcut
In your link Lissuin i found something i really like. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just had to mention it. It is a one hour tape of a beech forest beside a stream. I just love beeches (you may spot a couple of large yellow poplars too). It is too bad the sun is not filtering through to reveal the emerald green that illuminates the whole breath of the wood. But you may get the vision.

Eowyn of the Penn Woods would love this and it is not far from her over to Media in Pennsylvania at the Tyler Arboretum 12miles west of Philadelphia.

I may one day try to get there. It would be about 2 1/2 hrs away.

I am trying to get a couple of things together myself.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 21 2013, 12:56am

Post #11 of 59 (200 views)
Shortcut
Great video! [In reply to] Can't Post

So much noise to come out of a tiny body!

Ataahua's stories

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 21 2013, 1:48am

Post #12 of 59 (222 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure I can identify one place as my favorite [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been to many places I thought was magical.

The Canadian prairies and the Rockies.

Some ancient pine forest I was in that had these pine trees where the lowest branches were quite high and the forest floor was covered with pine needles and the was lots of filtered light coming through. I can't remember where it was (like I said, I've traveled a lot) but I suspect it was on the northern US Pacific coast somewhere.

The Pacific ocean... we camped along it for weeks and the sound of the surf was so lovely. My favorite spot was Leo Carillo beach where I picked up lots of tiny, tiny rocks, shells, and sea urchin spines.

The Berkshires. We drove up and over them one evening with my nephew who gasped when he looked down at the lights below.

New York City esp Central Park. Who knew a girl who loved nature could love NYC. :-) The trees in the park were beautiful.

The North Shore of Lake Superior.. to some extent. It's our go-to destination now because it's easily reached but it's not actually in the top 15 of my favorite spots. Still, one can always find rocks to pick up. And the lake is always beautiful to look at.

Lake Michigan. The whole shoreline, esp when I was growing up, I can't say what it's like now, is just one big sand dune. And the lake is so beautiful... bathwater warm after a rain. And camping at the State Parks was a social dream for young adults.

One spot I especially loved was Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore Park. The campground isn't actually on the dunes. But the beach on Lake Michigan is at the spot where a river empties into the lake. The river runs for a ways parallel to the shore and is protected by a sandbar which means the waves don't disturb the water. It's fairly shallow, knee deep or shallower and the water is crystal clear. And the bed if full of rocks. Lots of you know.. I like rocks. :-)

The legend of Sleeping Bear:
The Legend of Sleeping Bear

Long ago, along the Wisconsin shoreline, a mother bear and her two cubs were driven into Lake Michigan by a raging forest fire. The bears swam for many hours, but eventually the cubs tired and lagged behind. Mother bear reached the shore and climbed to the top of a high bluff to watch and wait for her cubs. Too tired to continue, the cubs drowned within sight of the shore. The Great Spirit Manitou created two islands to mark the spot where the cubs disappeared and then created a solitary dune to represent the faithful mother bear.

There's a children's book about the legend I used to read to my students, The Legend of Sleeping Bear by Kathy-Jo Wargin.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2013, 2:15am

Post #13 of 59 (194 views)
Shortcut
Mid-Atlantic Spring - sublime! [In reply to] Can't Post

We lived in New Jersey on the edge of the Great Swamp for six years. That was my forest fantasyland every season. It's clear why the bright new green after winter was Ngila's inspiration for Arwen's coronation dress.

This is so nice to have on while I type. Thank you, Sil.Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 6:11am

Post #14 of 59 (174 views)
Shortcut
Agreed - I want to buy a print of it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 6:13am

Post #15 of 59 (190 views)
Shortcut
Did you forget the rule? [In reply to] Can't Post

Take only photographs, leave only footprints. Says the person with a few little pieces of Mt Sunday on the windowsill... Wink
It is indeed a wonderful place.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 6:21am

Post #16 of 59 (177 views)
Shortcut
Aunt Dora, I just knew you'd be along [In reply to] Can't Post

with your lovely wild place photos. I always enjoy them so much.
The dispersal of your mother's ashes looks rather more refined than our efforts. The photo I posted of Taumutu beach shows it looking unusually calm. It is often very windy, with huge breakers. The day we took Mum's ashes it was windy and the surf was fairly big. We started out trying to do it carefully but it was impossible, so in the end we just chucked her ashes all around. She went into the sky, into the water, into the stones, and all over us. And we loved it. I'm sure she approved. Smile

I remember that lovely story about you running into Ethel Duath on the trail. What a nice addition to the experience.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 6:28am

Post #17 of 59 (198 views)
Shortcut
I'm telling you right now, [In reply to] Can't Post

when I win Lotto, I am coming straight to Colorado. I just cannot get over how stunningly beautiful it is.
Start preparing my guestroom please. Cool

On a side note, when I was looking at that old thread with the marmots, I saw a post from GAnydalf. I wonder how he is getting on - haven't seen him around for a long time.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 6:53am

Post #18 of 59 (172 views)
Shortcut
Misty of Chincoteague! [In reply to] Can't Post

I still have my childhood copy of this, along with 'Stormy, Misty's Foal'. I have a massive collection of pony books which I adore.
Your photos were great - what a wonderful place, and with such interesting wildlife.

Did you know we have our own wild horse population, known as Kaimanawas, here in New Zealand? They have had a tough time of it, since they are considered pests. Thankfully, they also have a lot of supporters who keep an eye on the regular roundups (previously the roundups were pretty much a nasty cull). Many of the horses end up going to the works, but many also are adopted into good homes, and some are becoming successful across a number of equestrian disciplines. The Wilson sisters are world famous in New Zealand for their support for the Kaimanawa horses. They have rescued many horses, including stallions, and gently introduced them to the world. They post videos of the amazing progress the horses make. They are wonderful women who are real champions for these special horses.
Here's a trailer for a documentary they are making about the 11 horses they saved from the latest muster.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 7:01am

Post #19 of 59 (165 views)
Shortcut
All wilds are accepted here [In reply to] Can't Post

I have some local tamed wild, which is a lovely spot for walks. It's lucky that there are people in the world with the foresight to set aside these places for us to enjoy.

I was thinking about what you said about forests, which could be an interesting conversation on its own. I'm not such a foresty girl - I need open space, and always feel slightly shut in when I am in a forest. The same goes for hills really, unless it's the high country. I need my big Canterbury sky. Cool

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 7:08am

Post #20 of 59 (166 views)
Shortcut
One of my favourite childhood activities [In reply to] Can't Post

was to take a jar and a piece of polystyrene, and go out onto the farm in the trees and 'call' the fantails by rubbing the polystyrene on the jar. They will always come for this. Hours of fun!

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 7:13am

Post #21 of 59 (187 views)
Shortcut
You can have as many favourites as you want [In reply to] Can't Post

And all of those sound wonderful.
Sleeping Bear Dunes looks like my kind of place. The photos are beautiful. I like open space, and I like stones too. Smile
And a legend to go with it. Perfect.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 21 2013, 7:51am

Post #22 of 59 (168 views)
Shortcut
I've tried mimicking their squeaky calls [In reply to] Can't Post

and it's really hard to do! Polystyrene and glass sounds the perfect solution.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 7:57am

Post #23 of 59 (205 views)
Shortcut
It never fails! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 2:58pm

Post #24 of 59 (163 views)
Shortcut
One of the times wasn't more refined :-D [In reply to] Can't Post

When my brother and I were on Flattop, it was very windy, and our experience was much like yours: Mom's ashes went all over the tundra and all over us. I was a little dismayed, so I love reading your description; it sounds so exuberant!

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 21 2013, 3:20pm

Post #25 of 59 (155 views)
Shortcut
What fun to read your account! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was an amazing day all around. Remember the helicopter rescue of the climber who fell? I helped in the very smallest of ways: at the trailhead a young hiker was shanghied into helping with the rescue and was about to run the 4.5 miles up the trail again. I gave him my bag of jelly beans for sustenance, since he was out of food.

I will never forget that day. The meadow below Chasm is one of my favorite places in the world too. I scattered a few of my mom's ashes there as well. I feel so fortunate that from here in Loveland we can just about look right up into it. Here's a photo from my neighborhood.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.