Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How far will you go to see The Hobbit?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 20 2013, 12:15am

Post #1 of 20 (542 views)
Shortcut
How far will you go to see The Hobbit? Can't Post

This post is inspired by something gramma said on Off Topic yesterday, where The Hobbit is soon leaving her theater. It got me to thinking of the LOTR movies, when the individual movies started leaving theaters, and what some folks did to see them just one more time.

The Hobbit will start leaving theaters soon, and while I'm lucky enough to live in a large city (Chicago) and I have a few more weeks, it's time to start thinking about how to squeeze in a few more viewings.

When the LOTR movies started leaving my area, I scoured the second-run theaters and once drove to Joliet (about 45 miles from me) to see it. That's the farthest I traveled, and I only did it once.

What will you do when The Hobbit leaves your area?

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 20 2013, 12:17am

Post #2 of 20 (280 views)
Shortcut
Luckily [In reply to] Can't Post

There are so many screens and 2nd tier theaters in my area, it will never be more than 20 minutes in any direction.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Jan 20 2013, 12:19am

Post #3 of 20 (260 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a theater five to ten minutes from my house that doesn't show movies until at least 2 months after they've been released in most theaters and the bigger ones tend to last for a long while.

"I find that it is the small things that keep the forces of Darkess at bay...simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I am afraid, and he gives me courage." - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir. You are not alone. If ever you should need my help, I will come." -Lady Galadriel.

"This task was appointed to you, Frodo of the Shire. If you donít find a way, no one will." - Lady Galadriel.

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 20 2013, 12:30am

Post #4 of 20 (263 views)
Shortcut
Don't know if this counts... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I saw it in TN (in the 3D HFR) when visiting relatives because I knew I wouldn't be able to see it near where I live (in PA). So it was about 500 miles apart :)

To be fair, I saw The Return of the King in Japan (when I lived there during college). I didn't see too many movies there, because the subtitles bothered me, but I had to see that one.

(This post was edited by bborchar on Jan 20 2013, 12:35am)

Kendalf
Rohan

Jan 20 2013, 12:34am

Post #5 of 20 (250 views)
Shortcut
I think I'll stick with the local screening! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Hobbit will start leaving theaters soon...What will you do when The Hobbit leaves your area?

I live in the north of England and drove from Bowness in Cumbria to Blackpool in Lancashire to watch it in HFR. That's about 60 miles, about one and a quarter hours (due to the roads up here!).

Not sure I'll do that again, though! Crazy Might just squeeze in a 2D screening at my local this week!

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Jan 20 2013, 3:43am

Post #6 of 20 (212 views)
Shortcut
I'll go down to the corner drugstore [In reply to] Can't Post

When it's out on Redbox. Twice in the theaters was enough for me, very enjoyable; I'm ready to watch it again in my living room as soon as it comes out. I'm more excited to see the rest of the story when DOS and TABA come out.

...a far green country under a swift sunrise. As the ship approached the edge of the world and the undying lands came into view, Frodo could not help but wonder: "How long? How long? How long to the Point of Know Return?

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 20 2013, 4:56am

Post #7 of 20 (182 views)
Shortcut
The short answer? 9, 10, and 48 miles [In reply to] Can't Post

That was for 2D, 3D, and (just today) 3D hfr (totally worth it for Beamer and me, though I think my Hobbit will be happy to let it rest for a while). We've decided to jump right to hfr for the next two, so the closer options probably won't work, unless lots of theaters start upgrading soon.

In fairness, the distance worked for us because we went to the van Gogh exhibit that was 60 miles away and caught the movie on the way back!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

syameese
Bree

Jan 20 2013, 7:49am

Post #8 of 20 (156 views)
Shortcut
Well, we did have to around a bushfire [In reply to] Can't Post

but, Mrs Syameese and I drove for about 2.5 hours each way the other week to see AUJ in 48 fps. Without the bushfire it would have been about 2 hours each way.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 20 2013, 10:46am

Post #9 of 20 (145 views)
Shortcut
I'd go there...and back again. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Mmmm...sitting here watchin Richard Armitage in The Vicar of Dibley and getting slightly distracted...what was the question? I got lost when he asked about levels of intimacy...

Oh, yes, distance. Well, the closest theater to us is about 35 minutes, and the next couple are 45-50 minutes away. So, with my 10 viewings I guess I've spent around 800 minutes just driving -- egads! But with the soundtrack on, I just get in the mood on the way there and decompress on the way home. We don't really have the cheap "dollar theaters" here, so hopefully at least one of the big ones will keep playing it for a while yet. *fingers crossed*

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 20 2013, 12:28pm

Post #10 of 20 (123 views)
Shortcut
Only for these films :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

If I lived in a remote area where there were no movie theaters nearby, I'd have driven just about anywhere to get to a theater to see it, lol. If it was very far I would have turned it into a weekend trip, and watched it a few times back to back over a few days.

But just for LOTR & TH films, would I do that. There are no others I feel that way about.

As it is I live in a populated area and the nearby multi-mega-monster-plex had TH in all three versions. They're now down to just one, the 3D IMAX. After I saw it 6 times (mostly in HFR, which I loved) I thought that I was done and I'd wait to get the DVD. But then when I saw it was down to only one theater I had sort of the equivalent of a hoarding spasm ("gahhh it'll all be gone soon!!!") and so I went for #7 over the weekend :-). *still love it* and I want to try to catch it again!

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Jan 20 2013, 1:44pm

Post #11 of 20 (111 views)
Shortcut
How far to see the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I have watched it 5 times, along with my 3 teenage children (it's getting rather expensive). We watched it 3 times in 2D, once in high frame, and yesterday in IMAX 3D. I have enjoyed it every time. I'm hopping it will still be out for a couple more weeks and watch it once more.

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Jan 20 2013, 2:44pm

Post #12 of 20 (105 views)
Shortcut
Had to drive 45 minutes to see it in HFR... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because there are only 3 theaters in the entire state that are showing it in HFR. My other viewing was here in town in regular 3D. I saw each of the LOTR movies 5 or 6 times in the theater and was planning on seeing Hobbit at least one more time (I have kids and bills now, so it's harder to go see it multiple times), and was thinking about going on my next day off, but I looked at the theater's website yesterday and they're only showing it in 2D now. If it was still in 3D I would go see it again no question about it, but in 2D with the blu ray coming out in just three months I might wait now. That sucks, I remember going to see FOTR for the sixth time in like March.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 20 2013, 4:27pm

Post #13 of 20 (111 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* I'm afraid I won't be pursuing The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

like I did LotR. Between limited time and the cost of gas & tickets, I'll be going through withdrawal a lot sooner this time around. My nearest theatre with 2nd runs is about an hour away... but you know I'll make it at least once ;) *twitch* I've just gotta!

and first draught of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)
LotR Unused Scenes

malla
Bree

Jan 20 2013, 4:43pm

Post #14 of 20 (98 views)
Shortcut
how far..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd travel many miles if I had to. But I am lucky to live in an area (Philadelphia suburbs) where there are tons of theaters within a 20 mile radius. My theater is a 5 minute drive. It pulled the HFR a few weeks ago and just pulled the IMAX, but it is still showing it in regular 3D and 2D. I'll keep hitting that as often as I can and maybe go to another one in the area that still has it in IMAX. But I am a bit fickle and really like my usual theater....much better than some of the others.
I am also crossing my fingers that I can get into Philadelphia this week (only about a 25 - 30 minute drive, or even take the train....no city parking worries...lol) to go to the Franklin Institute! The have a wonderful IMAX, surround screen and sound....and they are still showing the Hobbit!!!!!!!

Gotta run....meeting a friend at the movies.....can you guess what we are seeing??? lolWink

Tenna' ento lye omenta,
Malla

Lindele
Gondor

Jan 21 2013, 1:50am

Post #15 of 20 (56 views)
Shortcut
500 miles [In reply to] Can't Post

While there is no shortage of AUJ screenings in my hometown, I drove 500 miles to see it in Dolby Atmos.

imin
Valinor

Jan 21 2013, 2:01am

Post #16 of 20 (49 views)
Shortcut
About 5 miles // [In reply to] Can't Post

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2013, 2:45am

Post #17 of 20 (46 views)
Shortcut
I have so many theatre chains around me... [In reply to] Can't Post

that it isn't difficult to drive anywhere to see a showing.
I think I will see it one more time in theaters before *side-note* I purchase the Extended Edition on BluRay. (I'm hoping for a 3D BluRay, 2D BluRay, and HD Digital Copy bundle).

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Jan 21 2013, 6:32am

Post #18 of 20 (41 views)
Shortcut
Drove almost 600 miles to NYC to attend the US Premiere. [In reply to] Can't Post

Won't be doing anything that CRAZY again. Wink (at least until December)

So far viewing count is 9 and I think will probably cap at 12-14 or so. Gonna squeeze in another IMAX viewing in the next few days since it leaves on the 24th of this month ;( Sad to see it go.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2013, 7:01am

Post #19 of 20 (39 views)
Shortcut
there and back again...and again... and again... and again... [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a local theater in the mall (15 minutes away) which showed the midnight showing and 3D. I came out of that going, "Huh, that didn't look any different than any other 3D film..." because it wasn't... wasn't HFR... AAAAAAAARRRRRGHH!!!

Which necesitated an internet search for the closest HFR theater; an hour away. Worth it, twice. Uh, no, wait, three times (and once in 2D and once in 3D and once in, bleargh, very very loud Imax).

I watched the HFR and 3D Imax (not HFR) back to back and I officially loathe Imax (why do you think it must be a rock concert, oh theater folks???). The blurriness in even bucolic (not moving much) scenes in the Shire was noticeable! Bring on the HFR!

Rats, it's gone. I have to take a friend to see it, it'll just be plain old 3D.

Go outside and play...

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 21 2013, 7:16am

Post #20 of 20 (94 views)
Shortcut
Not too far [In reply to] Can't Post

I live between two bigger cities that both have movie theaters. One is larger than the other one. The larger one showed The Hobbit in 2D, 3D, 3D IMAX and 3D HFR, so I went to that one for the HFR. The other shows it just in 3D, went there for that one.
It will probably first leave the smaller one. And when it leaves the larger one, that will end cinema viewing, because at that moment I don't think there is any movie theater left that will be showing The Hobbit anymore. At that moment I will just have to wait for the DVD. Which I don't mind, because than I can pause, move back to see something again or hear something a little better.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.