Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
If Radagast were re-thought and re-written AUJ would be a much better movie...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Kendalf
Rohan

Jan 20 2013, 12:04am

Post #1 of 89 (1323 views)
Shortcut
If Radagast were re-thought and re-written AUJ would be a much better movie... Can't Post

1) Yes, he should be a little eccentric; his self-imposed hermetic lifestyle should have resulted in a degree of social ineptitude, of communicatory incompetence. No, he shouldn't be an absent-minded buffoon.

2) Yes, there's an obvious scope in the above for a little humour, a little chuckle at unconventional, charming idiosyncracies. No, a stick insect materialising in his mouth isn't the right choice.

3) Yes, he was known as "bird-tamer". No, a river of excrement down the side of his face isn't the most appropriate way of depicting this.

4) Yes, he was renowed for his love of the delicately balanced natural world and the creatures that inhabited it. No, giving him a pet hedgehog called Sebastian isn't the most subtle appoach.

5) Yes, there is a precedent for supernatural beings in Germanic folklore being transported by means of unusual creatures. No, the ludicrous chase we were treated to doesn't quite match this mythic majesty.

6) Yes, McCoy is a fine, accomplished actor. No, getting him to act stoned isn't the greatest moment in his oeuvre.

I have absolutely no problem with Radagast's inclusion in the film, or the function that he serves (to alert Gandalf to the growing evil in Greenwood the Great). I just think it all could have been done so, so, so much better.

Don't you?

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 20 2013, 12:16am

Post #2 of 89 (717 views)
Shortcut
Audiences today [In reply to] Can't Post

Almost demand comic relief. I don't but many do. You have a perfect triad of wizards: One basically normal and sympathetic; one very autocratic; and another is more of a comic style. Yes, some of it was over the top, but these were the creative choices. The character, like Azog and some of the dwarves was a blank slate.

AUJ isn't the later films. I think people were expecting a more serious treatment of the story overall, because, well, people seem to be saturated in 'dark' and 'angsty' stories today. I've lived through a lot of ebbs and flows of movies being a reflection of what's happening in the world, and the trend right now is gritty realism. The few films that make light of things (and aren't forumulaic rom-coms) get a lot of criticism. I think this is unwarranted. I'm older than many here, and I for one could use all the humor I can get, and while some of it was cheesy, it didn't ruin my appreciation for the excellent work by the creative team.

People are just unaccepting of change. We did a modern Orwellian Julius Caesar a few years ago, and it was the best thing we ever did on stage. People coulnd't wrap their heads around the idea, even if the text was held sacrosanct. It's all perception.

If this movie had been done first, and there had been no LOTR, it would have been judged on its own merits.

Kendalf
Rohan

Jan 20 2013, 12:24am

Post #3 of 89 (626 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he looked great... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes, some of it was over the top, but these were the creative choices. The character...was a blank slate...I for one could use all the humor I can get, and while some of it was cheesy, it didn't ruin my appreciation for the excellent work by the creative team.

Fair enough Smile And I think you're right: the creative team did a great job. His general look (bar the river of excrement), and that of Rhosgobel, were excellent.

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 20 2013, 12:31am

Post #4 of 89 (585 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

They put a lot of design phases into his look, and I agree, it was great. This wasn't a case of write it once and forget it. Writing for performers goes through many iterations.

Also, it's dangerous to generalize, but with the absence of romance in the book, whimsy is all that's left to draw in enough female ticket holders.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 20 2013, 12:54am

Post #5 of 89 (577 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it is dangerous to generalise [In reply to] Can't Post

Whimsy? Can't stand it.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 20 2013, 1:00am

Post #6 of 89 (547 views)
Shortcut
Whimsy? [In reply to] Can't Post

You think we're only interested in whimsy or love stories? Thems is fightin' words...

I'd suggest there's not much whimsy in LOTR, and the romance is minimal, but the demographics here on TORn after FOTR came out were very heavily slanted towards female -- and stayed that way for a long time. There's perhaps more whimsy in AUJ than in FOTR, and I'd suggest there are proportionally a lot more males here now than there were right after FOTR came out. That would run counter to your suggestion.

lyndomiel
Rivendell

Jan 20 2013, 1:09am

Post #7 of 89 (569 views)
Shortcut
Radagast has grown on me [In reply to] Can't Post

So much hate for Radagast on this site. I don't get it. With every viewing I like him more and more,

I find his eccentricity and scatterbrains fitting for a hermit who spends almost all of his time with animals. He has taken on some animal characteristics - excitability and a touch of panic when his little world is threatened. That makes him fun and funny and contributes to the film's lightheartedness.

Yes the bird poop (and the snot for that matter) are gross to us. We live in a very sanitized world and are all just a bit too squeamish. Kids were laughing. Seems appropriate for a hermit living in a tree house among birds.

I saw Sebastian as a vehicle to demonstrate Radagast's quite significant power. He drew the evil darkness out of Sebastian with the stone in his staff and sent the spiders packing. He then fought of the Ringwraith pretty easily and showed tremendous courage and pride in his bunnies by drawing off the wargs. Didn't seem buffoonish during those scenes.

I happened to love those giant Rhosgobel Rabbits and the sled. And all the creepy crawlies finding refuge up Radagast's robes (and mouth). And the smoke coming out of his ears. There is plenty of dignity and mythic grandeur elsewhere in Middle Earth - why not a little absurdity. Fun!

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 20 2013, 1:48am

Post #8 of 89 (530 views)
Shortcut
Wait, did you mean 'Whimsies'? [In reply to] Can't Post

They were all the rage to collect when I was growing up in the 70's. Smile
Here's one:

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 20 2013, 3:23am

Post #9 of 89 (481 views)
Shortcut
It's a Sebastian action figure! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They were all the rage to collect when I was growing up in the 70's. Smile
Here's one:

I found the hedgehogs added a British feel to the movie that I always felt was sort of lacking from the others (Bag End scenes come closest). Yes, I know it's Middle Earth, but when I read the books (pre-movies) I always pictured areas around the UK. Now if you could just muster up a Sebastian tea cozy...

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 20 2013, 3:32am

Post #10 of 89 (458 views)
Shortcut
I know! [In reply to] Can't Post

There were loads of different animals to choose from, but the hedgehog seemed correct for this thread. Laugh

Oh, and here you go:

Rane
Bree

Jan 20 2013, 3:34am

Post #11 of 89 (479 views)
Shortcut
Children's story [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see why it can't be more whimsical than LOTR.

Photobucket

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 20 2013, 4:09am

Post #12 of 89 (495 views)
Shortcut
*gasp* The Hobbit is a FEMINE movie???? [In reply to] Can't Post

(Note to our newer members, see the TORN Dictionary for the definition of "femine".)

LaughLaughLaugh

I am baffled, and have been for years, at the gender stereotypes that get dragged into discussions about Middle-earth. For LOTR, entertainment journalists went on and on about the key demographic for the films being teenage boys, while here on the TORN boards, we went from being roughly 60-70% male to being 80-90% female within a week of FOTR's opening, and stayed that way throughout TTT and ROTK and for years after. For The Hobbit, I've seen women being blamed for Tauriel, handsome dwarves (well, that one seems to have worked! Wink) and now "whimsy".

So can I just take a moment to mention the elements that have been added to the movie to appeal to the guys? We have burping, snot jokes, extended fight scenes featuring wholly implausible and physics-defying falling and crashing, and a one-armed bodybuilder orc with a claw hand.

Indeed, it is dangerous to generalize. I think we ought not, or I might find myself pointing out how the male-pleasing elements have been more divisive and poorly-received overall than the female-pleasing ones. TongueAngelic

Silverlode

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 20 2013, 4:35am

Post #13 of 89 (441 views)
Shortcut
Now that is an impressive movie tie-in product! [In reply to] Can't Post

Let the Sebastian marketing begin (although I will lose it if you have a hedgehog Lego).

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 20 2013, 4:44am

Post #14 of 89 (450 views)
Shortcut
Ahem [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 20 2013, 4:47am

Post #15 of 89 (462 views)
Shortcut
Oh, totally [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm only into it because the hedgehogs are sooooo cuuuuute. Heart

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 20 2013, 5:02am

Post #16 of 89 (437 views)
Shortcut
*Mods up!* [In reply to] Can't Post

TongueWinkSly

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 20 2013, 5:05am

Post #17 of 89 (433 views)
Shortcut
So true! [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially Sebastian, but especially the little one that comes out behind the others to check him out Heart

There it is: dwarves are not heroes, but calculating folk with a great idea of the value of money; some are tricky and treacherous and pretty bad lots; some are not, but are decent enough people like Thorin and Company, if you don't expect too much.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 20 2013, 5:16am

Post #18 of 89 (438 views)
Shortcut
Radie is fine. [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't change him anyway so just have to live with him as he is.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

morgul lord
Rivendell

Jan 20 2013, 5:25am

Post #19 of 89 (448 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, but... no. [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast was just fine. In fact, I loved him. This just sounds like nitpicking to me, tbh.

morgul lord
Rivendell

Jan 20 2013, 5:31am

Post #20 of 89 (448 views)
Shortcut
Yup, Radagast is awesome. One of the highlights of the film. [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually feel sorry for those who can't see him the way I see him. There's so much there to love.

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 20 2013, 6:40am

Post #21 of 89 (423 views)
Shortcut
I would have agreed with you after my first viewing [In reply to] Can't Post

Really, I initially thought he should have been done in a much more serious manner. Then on subsequent (and now shamelessly multiple) viewings, I have changed my mind. I think he's a comic relief that bridges again that gap between a child's tale and a more serious (and sometimes more dull), adult-targeted one. Even with those scenes like the smoke coming out of his ears, the two birds that nest in his hair (and of course he would have bird poo on him in that case), and his absent-mindedness, I've come to find his character rather delightful. I especially like how he appears to be this silly wizard on the one hand, yet can stand against the Witchking of Angmar and lead the orcs on a merry chase. There's a lot more to him than meet the eye!

And hey, let's not ridicule Sebastian! I love Sebastian, including his name. I think he's just the cutest thing (oh, and I can just see the plush toy coming down the line. If they make one....'I'm getting one!') Not to mention those marvelous Rhosgobel Rabbits (who I always think of as those 'wascally wabbits'). Tongue

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Jan 20 2013, 6:45am)

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 20 2013, 6:42am

Post #22 of 89 (422 views)
Shortcut
This leaves me speechless [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughSmile

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 20 2013, 7:13am

Post #23 of 89 (383 views)
Shortcut
Sebastian is totally hogging this thread. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 20 2013, 7:14am

Post #24 of 89 (405 views)
Shortcut
DanielLB... voted Bomby to be Raddy. . [In reply to] Can't Post

on the MAIN threads....

Bomby
agrees. ..since
IF....an old hippie
from Boulder Colorado
can get some sorta, kinda, maybe?.Smokin'... screen time.

Far OUT..?

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jan 20 2013, 7:18am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 20 2013, 8:04am

Post #25 of 89 (390 views)
Shortcut
By the way... the interior of Rosgobal? [In reply to] Can't Post

Reminded Bomby
of HeadShops in
Haight-Ashbury
Circa 1969AD.

Don't forget
HappyHippyHobbits
... are still around........

Lurking in the Old Forest...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.