Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
your favorite additions/changes

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Jan 19 2013, 7:59pm

Post #1 of 10 (630 views)
Shortcut
your favorite additions/changes Can't Post

So what are your favorite things (new scenes, altered scenes, changes to characters' personalities, etc.) about the movie that weren't in the book?

here are some of mine:

-Bofur's personality. I still think it's kind of random that they chose Bofur out of all of the dwarves to turn into a more fleshed out character. I think he had literally one line in the book. But I'm really glad they did what they did.

-Bofur and Bilbo's conversation in the cave.

-Bilbo stalling the trolls instead of Gandalf. Even when I first read the book, I never really liked the whole thing with Gandalf imitating their voices. I'm not really sure why, but it just didn't work for me. I had a feeling they'd change it in the movie, and I'm glad that they did.

-The opening scene with Frodo. Yeah, it was unnecessary, but I loved it.

-The way the riddle game started. Gollum hearing Bilbo say "game" then getting all excited is one of my favorite moments in the movie, and I like how Bilbo takes control of the situation a little more than he did in the book, while still keeping Gollum as a threat.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Jan 19 2013, 8:01pm)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 19 2013, 8:08pm

Post #2 of 10 (361 views)
Shortcut
With Bofur they had a blank slate and therefore could do as they liked... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not dissimilar from their taking an errant name in RotK and turning it into the Gothmog character, who gets a fair amount of focus commanding Mordor's Orcs.

Thought I agree it's a bit weird Bofur was so featured while Gloin & Oin were bit players and Bombur was an extra.

Favorite additions? Probably the Dwarf history flashbacks...and the Warg-rider attack outside Rivendell, which I liked, for some reason.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

bborchar
Rohan

Jan 19 2013, 8:28pm

Post #3 of 10 (366 views)
Shortcut
The changes to Thorin's character... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really glad that they expanded his character, made him younger and gave him more personality. He still has the arrogance and pride of the novel, but he also has the humility that comes from a prince who has been brought as low as life could take him. I think they have made the character more accessible to the audience, and that we can identify with him more.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 19 2013, 9:44pm

Post #4 of 10 (298 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf characterizations. [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially Thorin. They've brought that character to life in a way that I'd never imagined, and I love how they've done it. He's so much more complex and sympathetic than the grumpy garden-gnome of the book. And making his quest more about reclaiming his homeland than about reclaiming treasure was, I think, a very important change: it's not (at least at this point!) about greed and gold-lust, which would tend to put an audience off, I think. And I think RA has done a fantastic job of showing us Thorin's depth, complexities, and internal conflicts. I'm so looking forward to seeing how the character develops over the next two movies, including the descent into the meltdown that RA has mentioned.

The characterizations of Dwalin, Balin, and Bofur are wonderful too. There's so much more going on with each of them than is ever mentioned in the book. I'll never get tired of watching scenes that they're in. Fili and Kili too, though they're described a bit more in the book, and they're portrayed about like I might expect. Can't wait to see more of the other Dwarves later on.

Kirly
Lorien

Jan 19 2013, 9:56pm

Post #5 of 10 (297 views)
Shortcut
the Warg-rider attack outside Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

it just occurred to me that this is The Company in a reverse situation of when Aragon, Gimli, and Legolas pursue the Orcs which have taken Merry and Pippin. Including intervention, without even knowing they are saving anyone, by outside forces - in AUJ, Rivendell Elves save The Company; LOTR Eomer's Riders of Rohan save Merry and Pippin.

Probably already noted elsewhere but as i said, it just occurred to me and i find it interesting.

My avatar photo is Lake Takepo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

imin
Valinor

Jan 19 2013, 10:33pm

Post #6 of 10 (256 views)
Shortcut
Bofur and Bilbo's conversation in the cave - easily the best added content // [In reply to] Can't Post

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 19 2013, 11:54pm

Post #7 of 10 (241 views)
Shortcut
Changes [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked Bofur also. I think Nesbitt was a good choice for having some interactions with Freeman, they seemed to work well.

Thorin's character was always going to be a pivotal one. There's always a triad of character in these types of adventures, and Gandalf-Bilbo-Thorin worked well.

Jax_Teller
Rivendell

Jan 20 2013, 5:51pm

Post #8 of 10 (129 views)
Shortcut
Pretty much all of it [In reply to] Can't Post

Say what you will, but IMO, the movie improves on the book (at least, parts of the book depicted in the movie) in pretty much every way.

It's all been said, but the dwarves have no personality in the book, here they all have a little something to do, and they still got two movies to be even more fleshed out.

Troll scene is better, they dont caught one at a time, Gandalf doesnt do his thing and Bilbo has so much comedy there, excellent.

Bofur is brilliant, him and Bilbo having this conversation instead of Bilbo having a dream with the goblins capturing them makes much more sense.

Bilbo is even more interesting and actually does something, him protecting Thorin is a great moment, so is the hug with Thorin, such a great addition.

Azog, I think, is a stroke of genius that will pay off in the following movies, he embodies Thorin's rage and grief, and you know, it gives the movie some much needed action (as we know that the parts covered in the movie are not the most eventful).

Radagast I like, but he seems a bit unnecessary here, but I'm guessing they've got something planned for him in the following movies.

The Necromancer stuff I like, and I'm really looking forward to them expanding on it.

Stone Giants scene is IMO great, and even greater in 48 FPS, a nice bit of rollercoaster action.

I'm trying to remember the other changes but overall, all better for me.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the missing scenes in the EE, cant get enough of it.

And now that I'm thinking of it, I CANNOT understand how two movies would have worked. Having seen AUJ 3 times, the pace seems just right to me.

Can you imagine that we could have had the first movie, like 3 hours probably, and gotten all the travelling to Beorn's house, and then all the stuff in Mirkwood, AND THEN the Wood Elves, the prison, and then the barrels?

It would have been so rushed, can't imagine what a disaster it would have been.

Thank god for the three movies.

Blunt the knives, bend them forks, smash the bottles and burn the corks.

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates !

(This post was edited by Jax_Teller on Jan 20 2013, 5:53pm)

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 21 2013, 2:29am

Post #9 of 10 (104 views)
Shortcut
what they've done with the dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

Love their expanded and/or changed characters! In order of my preferences:
1. Thorin! for all the reasons others here have stated. Fantastic, what they've done with him. Love him!!
2. Balin - he comes across as Thorin's closest adviser and confidant, and he's a wise and merry old soul...not to mention one heck of a kick A fighter!
3. Bofur - whoddathunk I'd really like this guy! He at first appears rather comical, especially because of his hat, but we soon find out he's got depths we didn't suspect.
4. Kili - besides his natural good looks and his unadorned appearance, he is always right there by Thorin's side in battle.
5. Dwalin - I get the impression he's Thorin's commander in chief. I love his interaction with his brother Balin at the beginning of the film, and he is like Thorin's right hand man. Not to mention the fact that he makes an amazing springboard.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 22 2013, 12:20am

Post #10 of 10 (91 views)
Shortcut
Agree with these, too... [In reply to] Can't Post

The dwarves are rather surprising in many ways, especially during that escape from Goblin Town. The last time I saw it, I finally saw Balin doing the very fancy fighting he did on the bridges.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.