Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Mad means of transportation thread

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 19 2013, 1:43pm

Post #1 of 13 (597 views)
Shortcut
Mad means of transportation thread Can't Post

So, we have Thranduil and his elk, Radagast and his bunny-sled, and (coming in the future) Dain and his boar riders. What do you think of these wacky forms of transportation? Do you think they add to the lighter tone that PJ & Co are trying to achieve? Do they work well (or well enough) in the context?

Whatever next I wonder? Do you think that there is a plausible connection between Thranduil's elk and the hart that the Dwarves try to shoot whilst starving in the forest? (perhaps the wood-elves treat them as a protected species, and perhaps Thranduil won't be the only elf to ride one to war).

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 19 2013, 1:49pm

Post #2 of 13 (387 views)
Shortcut
I would add... [In reply to] Can't Post

Orcs riding Wargs and Dwarves/Wizards/Hobbits on Eagles. While these latter two are Hobbit book canon, it seems to me that to the uninitiated, both would be well described by the term "mad means of transportation".

Which may be why I like all of the new ones (though I will need to wait and see how Dain and his boar look to really have an opinion on that one). But Thranduil looked great on his elk, and the bunny sled was I thought very well-suited to the film version of Radagast.

I would guess we will not see lots of Elves on Elks - though (heh) I need to see the movie again because I do not have a clear recollection of the background of the scene with Thranduil. But I thought I saw more conventionally horse-riding Elves in that army.

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 19 2013, 1:54pm

Post #3 of 13 (343 views)
Shortcut
actually [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the rest were on foot. I never paid close attention, but I don't think anyone else was riding anything.

imin
Valinor

Jan 19 2013, 1:55pm

Post #4 of 13 (359 views)
Shortcut
This is a cop-out of an answer but [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it just depends on how it is achieved. It could look a bit like the Narnia battles with loads of different animals or it could look great - i am leaning more towards great as the animals are just steads though not ones we are used to.

I think a boar fits with how they are showing the dwarves and a fully grown male boar is ridiculously powerful.

I also think there will be some connection to the elk and the elk/dear that Thorin tries to kill. So far i have been a bit miffed by Thranduil's people - coming to pay homage to the dwarves of Erebor, taking the time to bring an army of elves all the way to Erebor then not bother to say anything or do anything to the dwarves.

I thought his elk (or whatever it is, Irish Elk) looked cool and his design was good. I look forward to meeting them in the next two movies.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 19 2013, 1:57pm

Post #5 of 13 (313 views)
Shortcut
I'll be looking for itr when I go watch the film this weekend, thanks!// [In reply to] Can't Post

lyndomiel
Rivendell

Jan 19 2013, 2:58pm

Post #6 of 13 (306 views)
Shortcut
Wild Boar concept design [In reply to] Can't Post

You can see a design of a wild boar pulling a cart on the inside cover of The Hobbit: AUJ Chronicles. It's on the front fold of Thorin's map. A Dwarf riding the cart is also depicted and you can see how it might work quite well to have the dwarf riding the boar instead.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 19 2013, 3:00pm

Post #7 of 13 (288 views)
Shortcut
Ah ok, thanks for this information [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe I'll have to get my grubby paws on that book, several people have said it's well worth the money.

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Jan 19 2013, 4:14pm

Post #8 of 13 (273 views)
Shortcut
Just for fun: if Hobbits had a fighting cavalry, what mad means of transport would it ride? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd vote for goats. Fierce, trained and armored, able to charge fast, jump forward and high as needed, and can ram with their horns.

At first I was thinking sheep. But goats seem more pugnacious,. If a wild boar could be trained as a battle mount, why not a goat.

(I realize Bullroarer could ride a horse. But this thread is about "mad means" of transport. Smile )

Thoughts?

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

(This post was edited by Ruxendil_Thoorg on Jan 19 2013, 4:14pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 19 2013, 5:16pm

Post #9 of 13 (252 views)
Shortcut
---> Un-family friendly replies deleted [In reply to] Can't Post

The replies to the replies went too. Keep it clean, kids! Laugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 19 2013, 5:19pm)

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jan 19 2013, 6:04pm

Post #10 of 13 (229 views)
Shortcut
My brain still hurt from all these images... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't be healed from this... Unsure

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

TheHutt
Gondor

Jan 19 2013, 8:16pm

Post #11 of 13 (173 views)
Shortcut
Means of transportation... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as long as it's not bicycles like in "Trouble of the Rings", I am calm. :)

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site:

Henneth-annun.ru - the Russian LOTR site

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Jan 19 2013, 8:16pm)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 19 2013, 9:29pm

Post #12 of 13 (159 views)
Shortcut
Riding dogs... [In reply to] Can't Post

The third edition of Dungeons & Dragons introduced the idea of riding dogs for halflings and gnomes. Readily trainable and naturally aggressive, the downside would be that, as carnivores, riding dogs would be expensive to keep.

As a fan of Hayao Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke, I don't find the concept of a riding elk to be all that strange; however, I am biased. Along the same lines, pigs are smart. I can easily see Dwarves using trained boars as mounts.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 20 2013, 12:05am

Post #13 of 13 (162 views)
Shortcut
All this weird animal riding [In reply to] Can't Post

Pulls me out of the reality of Middle-earth, just saying. Not the wargs necessarily, but the rest do. Now we're talking about elk cavalry and boar cavalry. I'm starting to see what people mean about it looking like a Narnia film. I would rather have seen dwarves in some kind of armored war wagon pulled by oxen. That seems more like their style. They're infantry, plain and simple. Hopefully it will be just the commanders who use them. Legolas/Orlando Bloom riding and elk would be very distracting, though.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.